Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    I enjoy NASCAR, but I have to agree that it is not a sport. It is a TEAM COMPETITION, but it is still only a competition.

I agree with the fact that Figure skating, diving, bodybuilding, and gymnastics are not really sports they are more a competion. I will say this though about gymnastics those people who are at the top are defitently top athletes. But how did you come up with dancing, who in their right mind would ever consider that a sport. The sport is finding a good looking women and picking her up for hopefully the night.:)
    Irish Guard GH Division

Quote Originally Posted by Sureal View Post
    Anytime when physical exertion is being used to pound another human needs to be called a sport.
    I can think of at least one time when I would not call such an activity a sport...

Cheerleading is more like a work out. I' always get kinks in my neck after watching those women jump up and down and jiggle side to side. :D
    Irish Guard GH Division

Quote Originally Posted by daytonirish View Post
    I agree with the fact that Figure skating, diving, bodybuilding, and gymnastics are not really sports they are more a competion. I will say this though about gymnastics those people who are at the top are defitently top athletes. But how did you come up with dancing, who in their right mind would ever consider that a sport. The sport is finding a good looking women and picking her up for hopefully the night.:)
    LOL!!!

Unless your Patrick Swayze or John Travolta...

paddyman
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_navy View Post
    I can think of at least one time when I would not call such an activity a sport...

nice!

And sometimes I even work up a good sweat. :p
    Irish Guard GH Division

How about Halo 3? Does playing Halo 3 count as a sport?

Quote Originally Posted by paddyman View Post
    i consider anything to sport as long as it meets these criteria:

1. A system of scoring involving an agreed upon objective where the most objectives completed determines the winner.

2. The rules are set in stone or some publication which can be referenced at any time upon need to clarify.

3. completetion of objectives are not based on subjective judges, thumbs up or down events, or relative scores.

4. involves penalties for rule breaking.

5. Does not necessarily involve athletic or physical ability but also mental ability. ( this includes chess, spelling bees, scrabble etc..)

6. Requires the need for an unbiased official.

For me this also rules out alot of so-called sports and puts them into more competitions, but also includes chess and the like. Feel free to address any of these. I have never reallythought about it before.

This includes Golf, YES.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paddyman View Post
    i consider anything to sport as long as it meets these criteria:

1. A system of scoring involving an agreed upon objective where the most objectives completed determines the winner.

2. The rules are set in stone or some publication which can be referenced at any time upon need to clarify.

3. completetion of objectives are not based on subjective judges, thumbs up or down events, or relative scores.

4. involves penalties for rule breaking.

5. Does not necessarily involve athletic or physical ability but also mental ability. ( this includes chess, spelling bees, scrabble etc..)

6. Requires the need for an unbiased official.

For me this also rules out alot of so-called sports and puts them into more competitions, but also includes chess and the like. Feel free to address any of these. I have never reallythought about it before.
    First of all, thanks for resurrecting this thread, grantland. I totally missed it.

As for the rules above, I disagree with #5. Chess, Checkers, Monopoly and Connect Four are not sports. They are games. Sport is defined by Merriam Webster as "physical activity engaged in for pleasure." They physical activity part is important.

Also, #6 is not always required to play a sport. Pick up basketball is still a sporting competition even if there isn't an unbiased official to ref the game.

Overall, I agree that competitions with subjective judging are not sports. For some reason I exclude boxing. It is possible to win a boxing match without the judges. Plus, they are supposed to be judging based on objective results of the match.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast