Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Lou Holtz

Coach Lou Holtz

Register to remove this advertisement
    Two things...

For those of us that spend a lot of time in our vehicle during the work week, we can now catch Coach Holtz on Sirius/XM Ch 84 where he hosts the early afternoon show with Jack Arute every Friday. The cool thing for us fans is we can call in and speak to Coach Holtz. I had the pleasure of doing that last Friday when I asked him about our D stopping the Clemson offense and then asked him to share the Catholics vs Convicts lockerroom speech. Of course, despite being the biggest sandbagger as a coach, he ALWAYS picks the Irish to win as a retired coach despite the odds. He still fumbles with names & stats, but hes still Coach Holtz, so call him up if you get the opportunity.

The 2nd Holtz related option is local to me down here in Arkansas. As y'all know Holtz had a successful (albeit controversial firing) stint as the HC of the Razorbacks. There's a dude that lives down here that calls in as Coach Holtz and does a decent job impersonating his quips & one-liners as he gives the Hogs hell. This dude is also a huuuuge ND fan but with the Arkansas connection, it's become a big hit on the local sports talk show. Click the link to check it out for yourself. Keep in mind that one of the hosts is a former Razorback player who played LB under Holtz. He's a "pretty boy" so you'll hear the Holtz impersonator refer to him as David Bazzelhoff instead of his correct name, David Bazzell. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.1037thebuzz.com/show/1/po...uy-on-the-swnn

Going to catch Coach Holtz speak tomorrow at my alma mater (UCA) in Conway, AR. May be last time i get a chance to see him.

Community Moderator Jiggafini19's Avatar
    Thought he died when I saw this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggafini19 View Post
    Thought he died when I saw this thread
    That’s why I want to see him. He ain’t getting any younger.

Great job by Coach Holtz. He was what we all expect him to be. There were very few jokes, adages, wisdom or stories I hadn’t heard but to see & hear him life made it that much better.

Auditorium on campus was sold out. I suspect a majority of attendees were diehard Hog fans. I truly believe they gained a newfound love & respect for Holtz after listenting to him wax poetic about his days on the Hill and his breakup w/ Arkansas. He handled the story of his firing w/ grace & class as well as respect for AD Frank Broyles who fired him. His wife urged him not to be bitter (Lou said he was mad b/c Broyles never really gave him a reason for letting him go) and Holtz followed her sage advice. It paid dividends years later when Gene Corrigan (AD at ND) called Broyles to get the scoop on their parting of ways. Broyles simply said that he knows no one who loves ND more than Holtz and that he should end the search now b/c Holtz is his best choice.

At the end, 12 former Razorbacks got on stage to greet their old coach. It was pretty cool as most of them were on that great 1977 team that upset Oklahoma after being the biggest underdog in major bowl history. IMO, that’s still the greatest win in Razorback football history. The ex-players included former QBs Ron Calcagni & Kevin Scanlon as well as DL Jimmy Walker (whose son Darius played at ND). The most known ex-player was former RB Gary Anderson who went on to star in the USFL & NFL He still looked like he could play.

Holtz memory is impreccable as he remembered minute details of each player who greeted him on stage. I believe he’s 82 y/o now but he still looks exactly the same although his knees looked a bit hobbly. He’s an American gem.

Did I ever tell you guys that I flew down to Orlando and went to Lou's surprise 80th birthday party? That was probably one of the coolest events in my Notre Dame fandom.

Here is a pic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tpTrN1buiFkYZaU1A
    Last edited by IrishCPA; 03-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCPA View Post
    Did I ever tell you guys that I flew down to Orlando and went to Lou's surprise 80th birthday party? That was probably one of the coolest events in my Notre Dame fandom.

Here is a pic:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCPA View Post

Here is a pic:

That's awesome!

That is frickin awesome!

Don’t recall that story bro and that is so cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast