Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Moderator Jiggafini19's Avatar

'15 NJ QB Brandon Wimbush (Notre Dame Commit 10/7/14)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Pro-style quarterback
    Jersey City (NJ) St. Peter's Prep

Ht:6'2"
    Wt:195 lbs

Offers from UConn, Maryland, Miami, Rutgers and Temple.

LAS VEGAS, Nev. – This weekend’s Pylon 7on7 tournament featured over 80 teams, primarily from the west coast competing over a two-day span. Sprinkled into the event was a little east coast flavor in the Goon Squad team, quarterbacked by four-star Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep standout

Currently Wimbush’s offer list is a who’s who of big time programs. Over the weekend he listed Florida, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Penn State, UCLA, Stanford and Tennessee all as schools that he’s currently very interested in. Within that list, a couple of factors are important to the 6-2, 205-pounder.

“Definitely academically and then a school that gives me the option to do what I want to do in college and helps me succeed after the four years of playing football,” Wimbush said on Sunday.

As a versatile athlete with a strong frame and great elusiveness and athleticism, is an offense that features the quarterback run a bonus in his decision?

“You mean like Ohio State?” Wimbush said with a laugh. “I’m looking to throw the ball as well. I feel like I have the arm strength to throw the ball if a play breaks down or if I have a running back that’s a beast like Carlos Hyde, I can get him the ball a good amount of times per game and he can do what he does.”

So according to Wimbush offensive scheme won’t play a major role in his decision.

“I feel like wherever I go, the coaches will make the offense and put it around me and the athletes we have in our offense.”

Among all of his offers, Wimbush’s Crystal Ball predicts him overwhelmingly to land at either Ohio State or Penn State. Both have impressed him and he notes that Penn State, Ohio State, Miami and Boston College are the four schools currently recruiting him the hardest.

The staff in Happy Valley is a group that Wimbush had become close with while they were still at Vanderbilt. That relationship has continued since the coaching change.

“They’re awesome there,” he said. “That’s an awesome staff, a young staff. I like (Ricky) Rahne, he’s a cool guy, the quarterback coach. And (James) Franklin is probably the most exciting head coach in the country I think. They’re telling me that they want me to come in and compete for the job even though they have Christian Hackenburg there and (Michael) O’Conner. They said come in with the mindset to compete and we’ll see what happens later. Hackenberg is solid there. It’s an awesome staff thought.”

Ohio State also remains high on his list and he backed up the buzz that the Buckeyes could be the team to beat.

“They’re pretty high,” he said of Ohio State. “They’re really high. I like the style. I like Urban Meyer. He’s a great guy. I talked to them since the beginning of my season. I feel like they’re the school that has been coming at me the hardest for the longest time. I feel like they’ve been waiting on my decision.”

Having already visited Ohio State, Penn State and Miami on several occasions, Wimbush now is hoping to get in a few other visits to the likes of LSU, Tennessee and Virginia Tech before making what he hopes is a decision around June. One more offer he’d like to add to his list before a decision is made is Stanford.

“Now being out here on the west coast and my mom being high on academics, you can guess, it’s Stanford,” he said when asked who he hopes will offer.

Wimbush noted that he hopes to throw for Stanford either in the spring or summer before making his decision and he also listed Michigan and Florida State as schools that he plans to either camp with or host during the spring evaluation period in hopes of an offer.

Wimbush is currently ranked as the No. 5 dual-threat quarterback in the country according to the 247Sports Composite rankings which is generated by equally factoring in all major recruiting site rankings.

Rivals250 quarterback Brandon Wimbush is nearing a commitment and Penn State is considered one of his finalists. The signalcaller out of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep is also very high on Ohio State and Miami. Many people think Wimbush will decide between Miami and Penn State as soon as the end of May.

Committed to Penn State.

I work with a bunch of State Penn grads, and damnit this is starting to piss me off!!

visiting this weekend

Good stuff. He was impressive on the camp circuit in the eyes of some.

PSU QB Commit Visiting ND
    Author: Christian McCollum
    October 3, 2014

For the past couple weeks, it’s been clear Notre Dame has been seriously exploring the idea of bringing in a quarterback in the Class of 2015. The Irish have been checking in on and evaluating several senior signal-caller, but much of the attention behind the scenes has been devoted to Brandon Wimbush.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder from St. Peter’s Prep in Jersey City, N.J., committed to Penn State back in the spring, but has been fielding interest from several schools since. The Irish are the latest to step up their chase of Wimbush and will host him on an official visit this weekend.

“He’s trying to do his due diligence with the process,” St. Peter’s Prep head coach Rich Hansen said of Wimbush.

“Signing Day is in February. He’s made a commitment, he just wants to explore options of other attractive programs that have offered that he thinks he would be a fit with. Obviously all of the other things that go along with being involved with Notre Dame are in play.”

Once the Irish reached out, Hansen encouraged Wimbush to explore that option.

“My opinion is that if Notre Dame offers you, it’s one of those schools you can’t not visit if it’s an option,” the coach said. “He’s going in with open ears and eyes and hopefully he’s going to have a great experience.”

Notre Dame has had an open spot at quarterback in this class since California’s Blake Barnett decommitted from the Irish back in June. The Irish immediately looked at a few other signal-callers in the class, but after each decided to go elsewhere, it seemed like Notre Dame was content to pass at the position for a while.

But the latest chatter from South Bend was that the staff was evaluating several senior quarterbacks. Hansen believes his quarterback would be a fit for the Irish.

“I think he’s a three-way quarterback,” the coach said. “He’s got a cannon for an arm obviously. He has excellent footwork, but he also has a very high football IQ. He goes through his progressions, he makes his adjustments.

“He has a lot going for him. I think he fits into Coach Kelly’s plan and the offensive scheme. It’s just a matter of if he feels Notre Dame is the place for him.”

Really doing well here this weekend. Possible flip could happen

Checked around this afternoon as Rivals100 quarterback Brandon Wimbush, a Penn State commitment, nears the completion of his official visit. Wimbush remains committed to the Nittany Lions and while keeping things relatively close to the vest (he didn't even tell a Rivals reporter at his school Thursday of the impending Notre Dame visit), did indicate to people around the Gug that he has plenty to think about after this weekend.

Notre Dame at least made enough of an impression to get the wheels turning a bit, it appears. We'll see what happens from here.

Jake Brown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast