Not a Supporting Member?

Become a Gold Club Supporting Member to remove this box and all other advertisments! Only $15 per year. Click HERE for more info!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

'10 OH S Ray Vinopal (Michigan LOI)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Safety
    Cardinal Mooney High School (Youngstown, OH)

Links of Interest:
    Rivals Profile

Ht: 5-foot-10
    Wt: 178 lbs
    Forty: 4.56 secs
    Bench max: 275 pounds
    Vertical: 29 inches
    Shuttle: 4.45 secs
    GPA: 4.5
    Last edited by irishunclebill; 02-24-2009 at 10:38 AM.

One of the 20 best sophomores in Ohio and one of the best athletes of that class. Hard nosed defensive player despite his size. Early favorites include Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State and West Virginia.

Another Mooney kid for the Irish to track.

napoleonbuck
    I saw Vinopal take an end around for a touchdown against MY Irish (St. Vincent St. Mary). The kid is ridiculously fast. He's one of those kids who you get into school and worry about a position later.

I hate to throw the comparison out there, but he reminds me of a shorter Ted Ginn. Doesn't have the same top end speed IMO, but a very very good football player. People forget Ginn was a top cornerback coming out of high school, and switched to WR as a freshman. I could see the same thing with Ray. People will look at his size and say corner, but I think he'd be deadly in the slot and as a returner.

Him and Daniel Lombardo should be two kids battling for top athlete in the 2010 class in Ohio. Both are very similar players who will make whichever team they go to very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonbuck View Post
    I saw Vinopal take an end around for a touchdown against MY Irish (St. Vincent St. Mary). The kid is ridiculously fast. He's one of those kids who you get into school and worry about a position later.

I hate to throw the comparison out there, but he reminds me of a shorter Ted Ginn. Doesn't have the same top end speed IMO, but a very very good football player. People forget Ginn was a top cornerback coming out of high school, and switched to WR as a freshman. I could see the same thing with Ray. People will look at his size and say corner, but I think he'd be deadly in the slot and as a returner.

Him and Daniel Lombardo should be two kids battling for top athlete in the 2010 class in Ohio. Both are very similar players who will make whichever team they go to very happy.
    Go Hoban :nanana:

napoleonbuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Akron Irish View Post
    Go Hoban :nanana:
    And to think I thought you were a good person. :boxing:

The Irish are taking a late look at Cardinal Mooney Ray.

Read into that what you will.

IMO he gets an offer. I think ND misses big at S.. again.

Updates for his numbers - ran a 4.41 at Penn State this summer and a 4.06 shuttle at West Virginia

SoCalDomer
    Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    The Irish are taking a late look at Cardinal Mooney Ray.

Read into that what you will.
    I read into it that the staff failed to think outside the box on safety prospects. Instead they've focused solely on who everyone else is focused on. They had Aramiyde(sp?) Olanyian with safety size (6'2" 205) and speed (4.5) but they were only looking at him as an OLB. Olanyian would have accepted faster than a Golic if he received an offer. Now he's gone to UCLA.

Then there's the Akuna kid over in Hawaii who is probably the #1 player in Hawaii, has similar size and is just a tough all around athlete, but is being looked at by most schools as an OLB. We've all seen the diference in mentality and hitting ability between our current starters on LB and Manti Te'o, so why in the heck would the staff not be looking for athletes with similar attitudes/playing styles??? I don't think i've read anything that says ND would jump to the forefront if offered, but having two guys from HI on the roster, adding another polynesian next year, and the prospect of intstant playing time at safety would help them at least get an official visit.
    Last edited by SoCalDomer; 11-17-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDomer View Post
    I read into it that the staff failed to think outside the box on safety prospects. Instead they've focused solely on who everyone else is focused on. They had Aramiyde(sp?) Olanyian with safety size (6'2" 205) and speed (4.5) but they were only looking at him as an OLB. Olanyian would have accepted faster than a Golic if he received an offer. Now he's gone to UCLA.

Then there's the Akuna kid over in Hawaii who is probably the #1 player in Hawaii, has similar size and is just a tough all around athlete, but is being looked at by most schools as an OLB. We've all seen the diference in mentality and hitting ability between our current starters on LB and Manti Te'o, so why in the heck would the staff not be looking for athletes with similar attitudes/playing styles??? I don't think i've read anything that says ND would jump to the forefront if offered, but having two guys from HI on the roster, adding another polynesian next year, and the prospect of intstant playing time at safety would help them at least get an official visit.
    So Shirley, are you saying we should start a (H)Akuna Matada thread. :bigsmile:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast