Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

The 2014 Notre Dame Football Team

Register to remove this advertisement
    Listed below is the current status of 2014 scholarships by position. The total scholarship players listed is 84.

Note that the class standings on this list are that only, they do not indicate remaining eligibility. anyone listed with a # or an * after their name have a redshirt year available beyond their class standing.

Quarterback (5)
    Senior- Charlie Fiessinger
    Senior: Everett Golson *
    Sophomore: Malik Zaire *
    Freshman: DeShone Kizer
    Freshman- Montgomery Van Gorder

Halfback (4)
    Senior: , Cam McDaniel, Tyler Plantz
    Sophomore: Greg Bryant *, Tarean Folston

Fullback (0)

Wide Receiver (9)
    Senior: Amir Carlisle#, Davaris Daniels *
    Junior: Chris Brown, C.J. Prosise *
    Sophomore: Will Fuller, Torii Hunter Jr. #, Corey Robinson
    Freshman: Justin Brent, Corey Holmes

Tight End (5)
    Senior: Ben Koyack
    Sophomore: Mike Heuerman #, Durham Smythe *
    Freshman: Tyler Luatua, Nic Weishar

Center (3)
    Senior: Matthew Hegarty *, Nick Martin *
    Junior- Scott Daly *

Offensive Guard (8)
    5th Year Senior: Christian Lombard
    Senior: Conor Hanratty *
    Junior- Steve Elmer, Mark Harrell *
    Sophomore: Colin McGovern #, John Montelus #
    Freshman: Jimmy Byrne, Sam Mustipher

Offensive Tackle (5)
    Junior: Ronnie Stanley *
    Sophomore: Hunter Bivin *, Mike McGlinchey *
    Freshman: Alex Bars, Quentin Nelson

Defensive End (7)
    Senior: Ishaq Williams
    Junior: Romeo Okwara
    Sophomore: Isaac Rochelle
    Freshman: Grant Blankenship, Kolin Hill, Andrew Trumbetti, Jhonathon Williams

Defensive Tackle(9)
    5th Year Senior: Justin Utupo
    Junior: Sheldon Day, Chase Hounshell #, Jarron Jones *
    Sophomore- Jacob Matuska *
    Freshman: Jonathan Bonner, Daniel Cage, Jay Hayes, Pete Mokwuah

Outside Linebacker (5)
    Senior: Ben Councell *
    Sophomore: James Onwualu, Doug Randolph #, Jaylon Smith, John Turner *

Inside Linebacker (7)
    5th Year Senior: Kendall Moore
    Senior: Jarrett Grace *, Anthony Rabasa *, Joe Schmidt *
    Sophomore: Michael Deeb *
    Freshman: Greer Martini, Nyles Morgan

Cornerback (9)
    5th Year Senior: Cody Riggs
    Senior: Josh Atkinson, Jalen Brown *, Connor Cavalaris, Matthias Farley *
    Junior: KeiVarae Russell
    Sophomore: Devin Butler, Cole Luke
    Freshman: Nick Watkins

Safety (6)
    5th Year Senior: Austin Collinsworth
    Senior: Eilar Hardy *
    Junior: Nicky Baratti #, Elijah Shumate
    Sophomore: Max Redfield
    Freshman: Drue Tranquill

Punter/Kicker (2)
    Senior: Kyle Brindza
    Freshman: Tyler Newsome

ASTERISK LEGEND
    * = Player may be eligible for 5th year of eligibility
    # = May be granted medical redshirt
    Last edited by irishunclebill; 09-15-2014 at 12:04 PM.

With Nix & Tuitt virtually locks to leave and assuming that Hendrix, Welch, Lombard, Moore & Collinsworth are the only real potential 5th year Seniors in 2014, that would leave as of now 6 slots still available for the 2014 class, 7 if for some reason Golson does not return.
    Last edited by irishunclebill; 08-28-2013 at 02:57 PM.

I'd like to think the number is closer to 10.

Both the Notre Dame program and fans here focus on the perfect scenario where everyone we want to come back (outside Nix and Tuitt) returns. In reality there are on average 3-5 boneheads a year (THIS year included... Kiel, Neal, Ferguson, Wood, Golson, Badger, Vanderdoes and injuries to Hounshell, Springmann and Spond), so let's start recruiting for it. That's 10 guys since signing day! Imagine if we had signed even half that many more guys. Imagine if we had been able to recruit 20 more guys to fill those 5 slots!!!

Just once I'd like to have a guy who wants to compete but hasn't contributed enough on the field to be told that his services are no longer needed. It's the real difference between our program and big time football programs these days. It's an impossible hurdle to overcome. When we stepped out on the field against Alabama, they had brought in 29 more bodies in the previous 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    With Nix & Tuitt virtually locks to leave and assuming that Hendrix, Welch, Lombard, Moore & Collinsworth are the only real potential 5th year Seniors in 2014, that would leave as of now 6 slots still available for the 2014 class, 7 if for some reason Golson does not return.

First post updated to reflect the most recent commitments & the departures of Lo Wood and Alex Welch. It should be noted that both Wood and Welch would have been 5th year Seniors and both of them were probably not going to be asked back anyway so their departure probably does not change the amount of 2014 available schollies.

Most projections have 5 of the now 9 eligible 5th year Seniors returning, Hendrix, Lombard, Utupo, Moore, and Collinsworth. Under that scenario if Tuitt stays and there are no other transfers or departures that would leave only 2 schollies still available for the 2014 class. If for some reason Nix decided to come back that would be reduced to 1. With ND seemingly in play still with a relatively large group of 2014 recruits I would expect that we will either see more Lo Wood & Alex Welch type scenarios or a reduction in the 5th year invitations.

I would be suprised to see them bring back all five of those fifth years honestly... time will tell... I think it'll be interesting to see what Kelly does if numbers are short but blue chip talent is not...
    "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."-- Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    I would be suprised to see them bring back all five of those fifth years honestly... time will tell... I think it'll be interesting to see what Kelly does if numbers are short but blue chip talent is not...
    I agree. Utupo and Moore have only recently played themselves onto this list and Hendrix is really just a worse case scenario insurance policy. It would seem that if the numbers really start to get short that Lombard and Collinsworth are probably the only 2 that seem pretty certain to have slots locked up.

Keep Hendrix for sure. It sounds kinda crazy, but JUST IN CASE.

I would think Collinsworth is the one we could afford not to offer. Utupo and Moore provide experienced depth at positions of need, especially Moore. At Safety next year, you still have Farley, Shumate, Hardy with good experience, and have Baratti coming back and Redfield with a year behind him. I think that position is one we can afford to take a pass on. At the end of this year, Hardy and Shumate were the best safeties and with Baratti and Redfield expected to close the gap or more, I don't see where Collinsworth, who has been a fine player, would be missed terribly. Rather have a top rated freshmen come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Domer Dog View Post
    I would think Collinsworth is the one we could afford not to offer. Utupo and Moore provide experienced depth at positions of need, especially Moore. At Safety next year, you still have Farley, Shumate, Hardy with good experience, and have Baratti coming back and Redfield with a year behind him. I think that position is one we can afford to take a pass on. At the end of this year, Hardy and Shumate were the best safeties and with Baratti and Redfield expected to close the gap or more, I don't see where Collinsworth, who has been a fine player, would be missed terribly. Rather have a top rated freshmen come in.
    The only way we have a top rated freshman come in is if JuJu goes Irish, and he's looking more and more like a USC lean. Payton Hendrix would be a solid replacement for Collinsworth having both better size and better speed, but I'm not sure he's coming on board either. Having Watkins locked up helps, but I thought if Hendrix were going to commit that he would have by now.

Regardless, I agree that Collinsworth shouldn't get a 5th year. With a healthy Baratti, it's possible that Collinsworth never would have seen the field this year except on ST.

If I were making the choice I would agree on Collinsworth as well, but it is very unlikely that ND would not offer a 5th year to a guy who is #1 on the current depth chart at his position as a Senior, even if his overall contribution has not been all that significant. Add in the fact that the Collinsworth name adds a little more star power for recruiting purposes, along with Hunter, Robinson, and Bongiovi. I would guess that the only way Collinsworth is not returning is if he decides he does not want to.

BTW, did anyone else notice at the end of the BYU game clip how much taller Cris is than Austin. Kind of unusual to see a Dad that much taller than his son. On paper there is supposed to be a 4" difference but in that video it looked like at least 6".

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast