Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Troy's Enterprise Pride

Register to remove this advertisement
    it's the avg. star rating of each player. that means USC has 3 5*, 3 3*, and the rest are 4*.

OU has a lower ranking b/c they have more 3* than 5*.

it's just a running average.

napoleonbuck
    Quote Originally Posted by ND Fanatic View Post
    I don't think that O$U will have the numbers to catch us. They have a good class going, but its going to end up a little short of ours.
    We probably won't have the total points, but our star average should be around 4 or higher on both Scouts and Rivals.

We could end up with 6-9 Scout five stars, and 3-5 Rivals five stars, depending on if we get Hale and Pryor and if some recruits(DeVier Posey or Andrew Sweat) move up just a few spots, though that's unlikely since they're comitted).

Our lowest rated recruit should be our kicker/punter, a kid that will likely break a few Ohio field goal distance records before he leaves high school.

Troy's Enterprise Pride
    quality beats quantity any day... unless you are razor thin in a position like we are on DL. OSU is having a monster recruiting year.... one of the best ever.... period.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy's Enterprise Pride View Post
    quality beats quantity any day... unless you are razor thin in a position like we are on DL. OSU is having a monster recruiting year.... one of the best ever.... period.

Quality beat quantity, but quantity increases the chances of having somebody pan out.

Troy's Enterprise Pride
    im pretty sure coaches dont like to take risks with recruits. i dont think their mindset would be "well, lets take 5 average linebackers and hope one blossoms like my garden lotus."

im pretty sure coaches dont like to take risks with recruits. i dont think their mindset would be "well, lets take 5 average linebackers and hope one blossoms like my garden lotus."
    I'm not talking about 5 average. I'm talking about multiple good ones. Let's go back to our buckeye "friends." If they had put all their linebacker eggs in the D'Andrea basket a few years ago, they may have missed out on Mr. Laura Quinn or Bobby Carpenter. Those were lesser rated guys who turned out to be much better players.

Troy's Enterprise Pride
    good point, and i think we all learned that from last year with donald and wright. but, hypothetically speaking, i'd MUCH rather land 2 highly rated LB's than a group of 4 or 5 so-called average backers with no standout talent. there are exceptions to the rule, but i think it's hard to say that anyone, again barring thin depth-charts, would prefer a large haul of mediocrity over a small group of elite talent.

i remember when we were goin nuts because we landed big ian b/c he was our first true DT prospect in a long time... and we had a major DLine deficiency... but honestly, how would you have felt if we picked him up this year? just as happy?

good point, and i think we all learned that from last year with donald and wright. but, hypothetically speaking, i'd MUCH rather land 2 highly rated LB's than a group of 4 or 5 so-called average backers with no standout talent. there are exceptions to the rule, but i think it's hard to say that anyone, again barring thin depth-charts, would prefer a large haul of mediocrity over a small group of elite talent.

i remember when we were goin nuts because we landed big ian b/c he was our first true DT prospect in a long time... and we had a major DLine deficiency... but honestly, how would you have felt if we picked him up this year? just as happy?

I'd be happy with Ian this year as part of our 5 man haul. He was not exactly chopped liver. We needed quantity at DL this year regardless of quality. Thankfully, we got both.

Next year will be a real test of how our staff approaches this question when the available scholarships are limited.

Also, another point on star averages- fans like to point out their star averages as the true indicator of a class when that is not really the case. Again, this goes back to quantity.

Explanation: I won't deal with 25 players to keep this simple. But let's say we have two teams who have landed these players:

Team A
    3 *****
    4****
    3***
    This is a four star average. Now, let's say at least two of those 3 star guys are near the very top of the three star list. For the sake of this argument, This would be a class with nice quality and good quantity.

Team B
    4 *****
    2 ****
    1 ***

This class averages 4.4 stars, roughly. It includes one more five star, but two less four stars. It has three less players overall.

Considering booms and busts and sleepers who break out, I'd take the first class over the second-star average be damned. I just think there's a better chance to get some good players out of that class. Overall the first group may have less 5's but has more 4's and 5's combined. The 3's drag the average down, but they also increase the chance of finding that next A.J. Hawk.

Troy's Enterprise Pride
    good point... it would be nice to have extra players, regardless of star ranking... but if there happened to be a strict scholarship limit, i'd want to load up on as many elite players as possible and play the odds.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast