Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    I see on the headline on the Rivals premium board that a JR TE has been offered, anybody no who? I assume it's Golic but thats just a guess as I'm not hearing anything elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I see on the headline on the Rivals premium board that a JR TE has been offered, anybody no who? I assume it's Golic but thats just a guess as I'm not hearing anything elsewhere.
    This was another idiot move by the Rivals Bunny who is without doubt the biggest asshat associated with ND recruiting. The comment was in reference to Reid Fragel who ND is looking at as a Tight End getting his first offer, from Miami (OH). Another hare brained post by a guy who is not even an ND fan.

First post updated to add CA WR Shaquelle Evans to the GH ND 2009 Offer List.

Explain to me, plz.

With everyone understanding the lack of depth at NT,DL (not including DE), why in God's name is ND not offering more big DL in the 2009 class? 2 of the 3 listed as having offers on the 1st page have already committed elsewhere. :confused: I think we are/were very long shots for any of them to begin with. We should be out there offering tons of kids early even if they aren't the elite just to get some bodies in. I think when you are as thin at DL as ND you should not wait only for the elite to commit to you. Maybe even take a couple of chances on kids that may or may not develop. At this rate, Goodman is going to be lining up at NT if we have 2 injuries to the guys there now. Seriously though, please explain to me or guess, why ND is holding back so many offers to DL at this point. I don't think we have much to lose. I don't mind offering RB and WR and S but WHAT the heck about addressing our biggest need!!
    Last edited by SouthernIrish; 01-30-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Welcome SouthernIrish!

In my opinion, the lack of Dline offers has to do primarily with two things. 1) They haven't completed their evaluation's of the national defensive lineman. 2) The other dlineman that ND does like haven't been cleared YET academically.

Give them time...the dline offers will start to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIrish View Post
    With everyone understanding the lack of depth at NT,DL (not including DE), why in God's name is ND not offering more big DL in the 2009 class? 2 of the 3 listed as having offers on the 1st page have already committed elsewhere. :confused: I think we are/were very long shots for any of them to begin with. We should be out there offering tons of kids early even if they aren't the elite just to get some bodies in. I think when you are as thin at DL as ND you should not wait only for the elite to commit to you. Maybe even take a couple of chances on kids that may or may not develop. At this rate, Goodman is going to be lining up at NT if we have 2 injuries to the guys there now. Seriously though, please explain to me or guess, why ND is holding back so many offers to DL at this point. I don't think we have much to lose. I don't mind offering RB and WR and S but the heck about addressing our biggest need!!
    You keep mentioning DL in there, but I know you are basically concerned about the NG position in the 3-4. Just for the record ND's DL recruiting haul in 2008 is amongst the best in the country with EJ, Cwynar, Hafis Williams, and Newman. Also, don't forget that Darius Fleming played DE in High School. However, back to the NG position. I don't think that we are in quite as precarious a position depth wise as you paint here. I believe there is a very good chance that Kuntz will return to play in 2008, and he and Ian Williams will be a strong tandem at that position for 2008. If there are injuries or if Kuntz can not make it back, then Newman will be pressed into action, and Hafis Williams, who IMO is highly underrated, will also have to contribute. That's 4 (hopefully) quality guys, albeit mostly inexperienced, for one position, which is not too shabby.

However, you are correct that this is still a critical need for ND and traditionally has been very difficult for the Irish to close on. There are three basic reasons why only 3 DT's (and all three of those are guys are no-brainers anyway) have been offered to date.

It is still very early in the evaluation process and other than guys like McFarland, Simon, and Campbell, there is still some digging that needs to be done before there will be offers.

Another reason is that ND as we all know does not just offer anybody because of the academics issue. None of these kids have taken SAT/ACT's yet, so all offers are contingent on satisfactory test scores, but besides that ND Admissions is well aware of schools that do not meet the core curriculum requirements that would allow someone to be offered, regardless of their test score. That limitation in itself prevents CW from throwing out offers willy nilly ala Urbie Meyer.

Finally there are just not a lot of pure NG prospects out there. Even among the three DT's that have been offered, only McFarland appears to be a true NG prospect. It takes a little research to find these guys and CW did very well last year with two under the radar guys in Brandon Newman and Hafis Williams, neither of whom had been offered at this point in time in 2007.

I expect that the ND staff will identify a few of these guys in the next two months and you will see some DT/NG offers go out to the top recruits at those positions as well as a few that will surprise you.

Thanks for a very informative reply IUB and u too rizz. I just am getting nervous about the NG position. I agree that the D as a whole is looking pretty good. But I am just worried about teams that run the ball alot or goalline situations or if CB decides to play a 4-3 we could be in trouble as the younger guys tire during the game. I too believe that Newman and I. Williams and H. Williams are studs but i'm not convinced that freshman can regularly hold the line. I thought i had heard rumors regarding Newmans conditioning which limited his effectiveness. If that could be overcome, then we could be solid there. Anyway, no need to harp on it. But I hope we get some more studs on the DL to stuff the run. BTW, I really like this site. Plenty of good info not readily availble at other sites.

lets not forget last year our first commit wasnt til 2/19 and it was Golic. And he was offered then committed on the spot, Cave was offered then committed shortly after on 3/3, and same with Goodman. Then Cwynar committed on 3/6.

A number of offers could be given out between now and two weeks after NSD. We might even get our first commit if Shrive commits or Jake Golic's offered.

We also really dont know a lot of guys interest until after the Junior Day which I believe is the end of February.

It's still early, no need to stress

is there a list of kids that will be attending junior day this year?

Quote Originally Posted by The New Louis View Post
    is there a list of kids that will be attending junior day this year?
    Check the first post in the Class of 2009 Visit List thread:

Class of 2009 Visit List

The list for the first Junior Day is preliminary at this point.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast