Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Community Moderator stonebreakerwasgod's Avatar

Register to remove this advertisement
    Defense looks pretty solid. Espec with Shumate improved, and Collinsworth coming back. I think both can make plays.
    Member: Irish Guards-GH Division

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggafini19 View Post
    I'd have to look, but it is possible that he may still have all four years of eligibility left if he didn't play enough. I honestly don't recall seeing him.
    According to the NCAA stats Baratti played in all 13 games.

Recruiting Class of 2012 players who did not use their Freshman eligibility in 2012:

Gunner Kiel
    Will Mahone
    Ronnie Stanley
    Mark Harrell
    Jarron Jones
    C.J. Prosise
    John Turner
    Scott Daly

Chris Badger will also have Freshman eligibility in 2013. As of right now ND will have 31 Freshman eligible players on the 2013 team.

It has been a loooong day and my brain isnt really working. But with the dust settled, how many spots are there left for 5th years and what are the options? I know there is still some question with medical issues but I was just curious. Thanks in advance.
    :clover:"May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past." ~Irish blessing:clover:

Quote Originally Posted by Synoptico View Post
    It has been a loooong day and my brain isnt really working. But with the dust settled, how many spots are there left for 5th years and what are the options? I know there is still some question with medical issues but I was just curious. Thanks in advance.
    Depends;
    They are still waiting to see if Slaughter will be granted a 6th year.
    Tate Nichols is on his way to getting a medical scholarship.
    Are there other "medicals"?
    Any after NSD commits on the horizon (like Davonte Neal last year)? Probably not.

There should be enough room to bring back the 5th YR guys that they want.

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

6 recruits in the Top100
    13 recruits in the Top250

Very solid overall...unquestionably Kelly's best class...best since 2008 [ouch]

The key now is to consistently bring in both the quality and quantity here. The best programs are stacking talent like cordwood. We have been too inconsistent.

First post updated to reflect the current scholarship count for 2013.

We are dead on at 85 right now but it is widely believed that Tate Nichols will transition to a medical scholarship shortly. His spot will most likely be taken by Jamoris Slaughter if his 6th year appeal is granted. If not the spot could go to Nick Tausch who is 5th year eligible in 2013, or end up going to one of the walk-ons. In any case Kelly expects to have a full complement of 85 scholarship players on the 2013 Notre Dame Football Team.

Listed below is the numbers breakdown by major category position:

QB- 5
    RB- 6
    WR/TE- 16
    O-Line- 16
    D-Line- 11
    LB- 13
    DB- 17
    ST- 1

The Offense is in pretty good balance, maybe 1 too many QB's, and 1 short on the O-Line, especially when you take Tate Nichols out.

The Defense is a bit more out of balance, short on the DL and at LB, and over at DB, but positional flexibility within the 3-4 D mitigates that imbalance. Overall the optimal Defense spread would be 42 in total, 12 DL, 15 LB, 15 DB, so in total Kelly has one less Defensive scholarship player than the optimal and that would be filled by Slaughter if his appeal is granted.

QB- 5
    RB- 6
    WR/TE- 16
    O-Line- 15
    D-Line- 11
    LB- 13
    DB- 17
    ST- 2

A little edit on the above post. Daly should be counted as ST, not OL, so with Nichols gone we are still pretty thin on O-Line depth despite the 5 incoming Freshman. With Z. Martin and Watt leaving after 2013 and Heggie extremely unlikely to be asked back for a 5th year in 2014, Kelly is probably looking at another 5 O-Line recruiting haul for the 2014 class.

Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    QB- 5
    RB- 6
    WR/TE- 16
    O-Line- 15
    D-Line- 11
    LB- 13
    DB- 17
    ST- 2

A little edit on the above post. Daly should be counted as ST, not OL, so with Nichols gone we are still pretty thin on O-Line depth despite the 5 incoming Freshman. With Z. Martin and Watt leaving after 2013 and Heggie extremely unlikely to be asked back for a 5th year in 2014, Kelly is probably looking at another 5 O-Line recruiting haul for the 2014 class.
    Kelly mentioned yesterday that the focus for 2014 would be in the OL and DL, which makes sense. I imagine they will be much more selective with DB. Imagine they will take another QB since Rees and Hendrix will be gone when 2014 comes in and who knows whether a player leaves. Imagine 1 or 2 RB's adn the typical 1 TE.
    :clover:"May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past." ~Irish blessing:clover:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast