TE Mike Heuerman
    WR James Onwulau
    WR Corey Robinson
    QB Malik Zaire

Love to see QB's get in early

Member of the Irish Guard, GH Division

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Joe View Post
    Love to see QB's get in early
    Sure, it's nice, but Zaire being an EE likely won't be a factor for a while.

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

OK, with SR day on Saturday, it has me thinking about filling the holes created by who is leaving. Help me out in this discussion. Of the slew of listed SRs potentially playing their last game, am I right in thinking the following...

Gone of significance will be KLM, Golic Jr, Cave, Watt, Te'o, Riddick, Motta, Eifert.
    coming back for a 5th is most likely Wood, Martin, Fox, Calabrese, and perhaps Slaughter

Te'o is a huge loss for many reasons but if we vring back both Fox and Calabrese we'll have experienced guys that we can pretty much count on. After next year it's anyone guess who steps in.

Eifert is great but it's clear by now I think that Niklas will be the #1 guy next year with Koyack and Welch getting PT.

Losing Motta will hurt but by all accounts Collinsworth, if healthy upon return, will be ready to perform. Farley has played well lessening the anxiety of whether Slaughter returns.

O-line... So we are losing our interior line. Both guards and center gone. Ouch. Hopefully they have been working well together on second team and have some rapport with Golson and the backs. Who will be next years interrior? And then we may lose Martin at LT as well to the NFL? So Lombard is our only definite returning OL.

Replacing Kappy will be Day most likely but I'd be surprised if Jarron Jones didn't make a big push for the starting spot.

What do you think? Concerns? Predictions? I think on the whole we will be picked high in the preseason polls and we have a lot of returning starters. The one concern is how will the interrior O-line develop?

Community Moderator stonebreakerwasgod's Avatar
    Visions of granduer. Like that Hermie is coming in early, as well as the WR.
    Member: Irish Guards-GH Division

Grandson, it sounds like you're confused about Chris Watt's remaining eligibility. Watt is a fourth year player who didn't play as a true freshman. He can return for a fifth year in 2013, and from what little I know, it seems almost certain that he will.

Cierre Wood, on the other hand, has posted on Twitter something to the effect that Saturday's game will be his last at the House that Rockne built, so it sounds like he probably won't be back.

In the best internet message board tradition of assuming I know more than I do, I am going to say here that Jarret Grace will wind up playing as large or larger a role at ILB in 2013 than Carlo Calabrese, despite Calabrese's big edge in experience. Unless Carlo's "people" arrange otherwise.

Community Moderator stonebreakerwasgod's Avatar
    Does Carlo start at Manti's position? I hope not. I'd like to see him sub in with Fox as what's going on now. Can't see him playing three downs. Yikes.
    I'm not worried about the line. They played well, but Lombard will improve, and Golic had some awful games, especially early on.
    It's Watt we are going to miss.
    Member: Irish Guards-GH Division

Pencil in Carlo for Manti's Mike ILB spot in 2013. Still though, there's all spring, summer, and fall for someone to beat him out.

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

Quote Originally Posted by stonebreakerwasgod View Post
    Does Carlo start at Manti's position? I hope not. I'd like to see him sub in with Fox as what's going on now. Can't see him playing three downs. Yikes.
    I'm not worried about the line. They played well, but Lombard will improve, and Golic had some awful games, especially early on.
    It's Watt we are going to miss.
    Every single projected 2013 scholarship chart has Watt coming back. As PMarrack listed right above your post the current consensus is that Z. Martin, Watt, Carlo, and Fox are the returning 5th years.

So at this point in time it looks as though we will be seeing only a new OC and a new ROG on the 2013 OL. That is a pretty good situation to be in especially when 2 of the 3 guys returning are 5th year Seniors and the 3rd one is a RS Senior.

If Watt has a 5th, that is great. We need him. What is the feel you think on Martin? Too early to say most likely?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast