Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    Theo Riddick ready to show Detroit Lions what he can do

http://www.freep.com/article/2013080...yssey=obinsite

Detroit Lions rookie running back Theo Riddick had his toe stepped on during practice this week. Riddick avoided serious injury, and now he’s ready to get his feet wet in his NFL debut.

Friday’s exhibition against the New York Jets at Ford Field will mark the first time Riddick, a sixth-round draft pick from Notre Dame, gets to show coaches what he can really do.

“I believe it’s very important; the first time there’s actually going to be full contact and we’re playing another team, so it’s another platform for us to perform,” Riddick said Wednesday.

Riddick has been impressive and has shown strong inside running ability and sure hands.

“I think Riddick has really stepped in during training camp,” coach Jim Schwartz said, “and does some nice things, particularly in the passing game.”

That’s exactly how Riddick was billed coming out of Notre Dame, where played slot receiver his sophomore and junior seasons before switching to running back full-time as a senior in 2012.

“Versatility definitely,” Riddick said of his calling card, “being able to run the ball and catch it out of the backfield and make people miss.”

Riddick also has drawn praise from teammate Reggie Bush, who said Riddick has good natural ability to run the ball between the tackles. But Riddick said he isn’t opposed to bouncing a run outside if he needs to.

“Whatever the defense gives us,” he said. “If there’s a chance, an opportunity for me to bounce it, I’ll bounce it. But in this league you’ve got to go a lot more north and south than east and west.”

Great to hear! Good for Theo!

Theo with 2 receiving TD's tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac151993 View Post
    Theo with 2 receiving TD's tonight.
    damn versatile fellow...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	1827

IRISH GUARD-GH Division

Reggie Bush's injury might boost Theo Riddick's role in Lions offense

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2fIbvfz1W

Allen Park – Lions running back Reggie Bush did not practice Wednesday, still feeling the effects of the helmet-to-the-knee tackle by the Cardinals’ Tony Jefferson on Sunday.

Jim Schwartz said Bush spent the day in treatment, and the coach reiterated on NFL Radio later what he said on Monday -- there is no structural damage to the knee. He is hopeful Bush can return to practice later in the week.

In the meantime, rookie Theo Riddick, drafted to be Bush's understudy, will get more reps this week, but Schwartz balked at saying his skill set was the same as Bush's.

"His skill set and talent are unique from all of our running backs," Schwartz said. "I wouldn’t say that if he ends up in a role that he’s replacing a certain player. We’re going to try to accentuate anybody’s strengths and what they can do. Riddick would be no different than that.

"I think you saw in the preseason what he can do. He was good in the passing game. He’s done a nice job on special teams throughout the first two weeks. He’s played all four of our core special teams and has done a nice job there."

Good luck Theo! I'm just glad this wasn't another season ending injury post like we're used to seeing w/ former Domers.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014061...s-theo-riddick
    From the Detroit Freepress

Theo Riddick making case for bigger role in Detroit Lions' offense

It sounds counterintuitive, but the way Theo Riddick sees it, the quickest path to playing time in a crowded Detroit Lions backfield is to do what the two players in front him do.

“Knowledge is power, and you never know too much of it,” Riddick said.

Last year, Riddick played sparingly as a running back behind Reggie Bush and Joique Bell but carved out a niche as a core special teams player, despite never covering punts nor kicks in his high school and college careers.

He said he learned by following the lead of Bush, Bell and others and emulating what they did on the football field.

“When I first got here, I had an experience where, in practice, I missed a blitz. And I never missed a blitz ever, from high school to college — ever,” Riddick said. “And it happened when I first got here, and I was kind of feeling myself, thinking I knew everything and all that. And I didn’t. It’s a step higher. And like (Bell) said, he tapped me on the shoulder, he said, ‘Hey, little bro, you got to be a sponge.’”

From then on, Riddick immersed himself in the playbook and accepted that he had to work his way up the depth chart as a rookie.

He played exclusively on special teams the first two weeks of the season, caught his first pass and had his first NFL carry when Bush was inactive for a Week 3 win at Washington, and by the time December rolled around, Riddick was a bit player on offense, spelling Bush and Bell and playing in special packages.

With Bell out of practice this spring because of a knee injury, Riddick took on an even bigger workload in organized team activities and at last week’s minicamp.

“He’s certainly done well,” Lions coach Jim Caldwell said. “He’s had a very good spring. Matter of fact, even in my preliminary evaluation, just watching him in special teams last year, he jumps out at you. He’s eager, he’s hungry, he’s tough, he can run. He’s a very, very fine route runner. He can catch the ball. He’s had a real fine spring, so I hope he continues to develop, and we think he will.”

Bush and Bell still promise to get the bulk of the carries this fall, but Riddick could be in store for a bigger role on offense. His versatility is valued in new coordinator Joe Lombardi’s system, and he spent the off-season reshaping his body to better withstand the rigors of the NFL.

“Gained some weight and trimmed down on the body fat,” Riddick said, a big smile flashing across his face. “I don’t want to go into details. I don’t want to put people to shame, but I’m feeling good right now.”

To stay that way, Riddick said he’s relying on the same advice Bell first gave him last spring.

“Just trying to be a sponge,” Riddick said. “Obviously, I got my feet wet last year — obviously hoping for more this year. This game is always evolving, so just trying to (learn as I go).”

Man I have always really liked this kid .. I wish the Browns would trade for him ... I think hes gonna carve out a really nice little niche in the NFL .. hes going to make football teams better .... and that's what its all about ... no???????? ..... a smaller Rickey "running" Watters ....

Good Luck Theo ... Kelly hasn't made many mistakes with his players ... moving Theo to the slot for 2 years was one on that small list ... he did realize the error of his ways and corrected it in time to allow Theo to help lead us to the NC game .... what a very very special year that was .... so I forgive Kelly for his initial error ... :) ...

Did Kelly really error? He did move him to slot and that allowed Theo to learn how to run crisp routes which is suiting him very well in the NFL at the RB spot. And yes this is a friendly jab. I know what you are saying but I do think I speak some truth as well. A player like Riddick needs more than a RB pedigree to contribute to an NFL team and knowing how to run routes, and catch the ball does help him a great deal. I think he will be in the NFL for a little while due to his versatility.
    KeiVarae Russell: "When the coaches told me over the next few days in the film room that I was gonna start I was like ‘Uh Oh’.”

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast