Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    This is an interesting one for me. I thought Wood is a more WR type than Riddick. I agree that getting Theo the ball in open space is a very good thing, but I thought that could be done just as easily out of the backfield. Wood has a lot of experience catching the ball in HS on both offense and defense. Maybe this is more of a sign that Cierre Wood is securing a spot for himself at TB than seeing Riddick as a WR?

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlaw View Post
    i have to think that if he is getting more touches and the team is winning more games that hed be ok with it, maybe not though
    And I know what you are saying about the winning part and what not, but I really thought he had played himself into RB for his college years after last year. I mean he avg. 5.5 a carry so it isn't like he played himself out of the position. I just find it interesting I guess. By no means am I questioning our coaching staff on this one. Very surprised is all. Hopefully Theo will embrace it and make himself a Percy Harvin type. If he becomes a good WR then there are plenty of things that you can do with him as a WR AND a RB. Should be interesting to say the least.
    KeiVarae Russell: "When the coaches told me over the next few days in the film room that I was gonna start I was like ‘Uh Oh’.”

I just feel like we are going to see a better team all around this year
    Goooooooo Irish!!!

Senior Member Purebred Irishman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rontdtarchala View Post
    I just feel like we are going to see a better team all around this year
    Man i can't wait for spring ball to see how the pieces are starting to fall into place

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/colleg...o-speed-688952

Video from after practice yesterday. Do we need to change his position in this thread to WR? Do you think he'll ever return to TB? I hope he can catch passes.

And let's throw an ND logo on this thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by NDgrandson View Post
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/colleg...o-speed-688952

Video from after practice yesterday. Do we need to change his position in this thread to WR? Do you think he'll ever return to TB? I hope he can catch passes.

And let's throw an ND logo on this thread title.
    No, possibly, and done. :bigsmile:

Could he play CB with Banks leaving the team?
    AUTRY DENSON'S #1 FAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDGirlzRock View Post
    Could he play CB with Banks leaving the team?
    I think he could.. but he is to important in the offense as a slot guy, and I dont think a 3rd position change would be good for him.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/inde...ories&Itemid=4

Riddick's Ready
    Written by Christian McCollum Friday, 13 August 2010 00:00

Riddick caught a TD in the spring game despite being limited.The decision to move from running back to receiver was an easy one for Notre Dame’s Theo Riddick.

“They asked me and they said it was going to help the team and I was willing to do it,” Riddick said recently of the discussion between himself, Brian Kelly and the Irish offensive staff prior to the spring.

The spring gave Riddick, who had played running back his entire life, a chance to see what playing receiver would be like, but offseason shoulder surgery prevented him from going full speed.

“I was very limited,” he said. “I just came off surgery, I couldn’t really have a lot of contact. But just being in there and being able to run and actually learning the plays and get used to what (Kelly) wants and he demands, I think it helped a lot.”

“Theo was non-contact for most of spring practice so there were so many things that we weren’t able to see Theo do and he was very conscious of his shoulder,” offensive coordinator Charley Molnar said.

“He couldn’t attack the football in a way that a championship receiver would go after the ball. If his shoulder is at 100 percent I’m really hoping to see a new and improved Theo Riddick. He did show signs that he could be a real ballplayer for us in 2010 and hopefully he made that improvement.”

Riddick admitted that the shoulder held him back in the spring, but says he returned to full strength over the summer and the shoulder is no longer an issue.

“I was kind of favoring it,” he said. “I was kind of hesitant in a sense, but now I feel 100 percent and I’m ready to go.”

Both Riddick and his coaches believe he is ready for a special season and the staff backed it up by listing Riddick as a starter on the preseason depth chart, ahead of freshman TJ Jones, who was the starter in the slot in the final days of spring practice. Riddick caught a touchdown pass in the Blue-Gold Game, but he seems like a logical candidate to do a number of things from the slot, whether it’s throwing him the ball or handing it to him.

Riddick proved to be one of Notre Dame’s most exciting freshmen in 2009, rushing for 160 yards on 29 carries (5.5 average) while also leading the team with 849 yards and a 22.9-yard average on 37 kickoff returns. Riddick also caught six passes for 43 yards as a freshman.

Riddick’s classmate, Shaquelle Evans, has seen a difference in the former running back from the spring to now.

“Theo’s coming along well,” said Evans. “He’s starting to get out of his breaks quicker and starting to catch the ball better.”

The New Jersey native has leaned on older receivers for tips during his transition.

“The veteran wide receiver in our corps is Mike Floyd,” said Riddick. “He’s a phenomenal wide receiver. To have him give you tips and help you out is just phenomenal. He’s one of the best wide receivers in the country.

“The one thing he’s working on me was just using my hands more, being more physical and things of that nature.”

There is no question Riddick feels comfortable at his new position.

“I believe I definitely am a wide receiver,” he says.

He doesn’t care how he gets the ball, but he wants it.

“Every route is my favorite route right now because I feel I can score on any of them,” he says with a chuckle. “That’s the goal right?”

http://www.blueandgold.com/content/?aid=9615

August 22, 2010
    ‘Three Rs’ Equal Riddick
    by LOU SOMOGYI
    Senior Editor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Version |Digg This Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout spring practice, one of Brian Kelly’s top goals on offense was to find a playmaker at the slot (“Z” receiver) to provide a multi-faceted dimension. Someone who can run the ball if necessary, catch it, line up as the “Wildcat” … in other words, a Golden Tate-like figure.

Freshman T.J. Jones, sophomore Shaquelle Evans, and even All-America candidate Michael Floyd received auditions, but the answer was pretty much discovered by Kelly even before he stepped on to the practice field for the first time in March.

Riddick averaged 5.5 yards per carry at tailback as a freshman last season.

The shift of Theo Riddick from running back to wideout probably is recognized as the first major personnel switch in the Kelly era. Although Riddick was somewhat limited in the spring while recuperating from January shoulder surgery, Kelly believes the Irish will reap huge dividends the next several years from the sophomore.

“He’s learning every day,” said Kelly of Riddick. “When he gets in space with the ball in his hands, there’s going to be some ‘ooohing and aaahing.’ He’s very dynamic when the ball is in his hands.”

The position switch involved elementary arithmetic. The hurry-up spread offense sometimes might feature only one running back and often at least three and sometimes more wideouts. If only one running back can be on the field at a time, then either seniors Armando Allen or Robert Hughes, junior Jonas Gray — singled out for his work in this past Friday’s scrimmage — or sophomore Cierre Wood, a standout throughout spring drills, highlighted by 110 yards on 10 carries in the Blue-Gold Game, will be on the sidelines.

Had Riddick also been in that running back mix, the imbalance in the lineup would have been a case of egregious waste.

“It gives me more space and it’s definitely helped me out,” Riddick said. “I’ve already made the transition mentally and physically … we pass more than we run, so that speaks for itself. All I really want to do is get into open space and see what I can do and perform.”

In the spread, the “Z” is the “X factor.” He can take reverses (as could others such as Floyd), run the ball off a counter or misdirection play, take a shovel pass, be a threat in the zone-option read where sometimes the quarterback keeps the ball, or even line up as the Wildcat the way Tate did last year on occasion.

Kelly listed three candidates at Wildcat: Allen, Riddick and tight end Kyle Rudolph, who could provide a Tim Tebow-like presence in his ability to bull through for some tough yards between the tackles.

As a freshman last year, Riddick’s 5.5 yards per carry per his 29 running attempts made him and Tate the lone Irish runners to average more than five yards with at least 25 carries. Riddick also set a single-season school record for kickoff return yardage (849), although that statistic had its drawback in that it meant opponents were kicking off way too often because they were scoring at a disturbing level of frequency.

Nevertheless, this switch of Riddick could help foster a prominent Notre Dame tradition often seen under first-year head coaches — a superb athlete getting his talents maximized at wideout either through a position switch or because there were too many people already at his position. Not even including running back recruit Tate, the examples include:

• Ara Parseghian in 1964 switching Jack Snow from halfback to split end. Snow carried three times and caught six passes for the 2-7 Irish in 1963. One year later he finished fifth in the Heisman Trophy balloting. (Note: All-America Tom Gatewood arrived as a running back recruit in 1968, which is why he was issued the jersey No. 44 to play in the backfield, but he became the school’s all-time receiving leader, a standard that lasted 35 years.)

• Lou Holtz in 1986 noted how under-utilized Tim Brown was. Brown caught only 25 passes as sophomore (three less than his freshman year), carried the ball four times and totaled just 765 all-purpose yards. In Holtz’s first season, Brown caught 45 passes (20.2 yards per catch), carried 59 other times and amassed 1,937 all-purpose yards, a school record that still stands. He would go on to win the Heisman.

• In 1988, Notre Dame already had a tailback trio of senior captain Mark Green and sophomores Ricky Watters and Tony Brooks — plus six All-America backs were recruited that year. Thus, with both starting wideouts from 1987 (Brown and Reggie Ward) having graduated, Holtz moved Watters and freshman tailback Raghib “Rocket” Ismail to the receiver slots. The duo combined to averaged a remarkable 24.2 yards per catch that season, highlighted by five for 140 yards in the upset of No. 1 Miami and two for 86 yards to win the national title against West Virginia. They also would return kicks and punts, and excel later again at tailback.

• Entering 2002, fifth-year senior Arnaz Battle had caught only five passes for 40 yards in his career. Under first-year head coach Tyrone Willingham, who led a dramatic 8-0 start, Battle snared 58 passes, the third most in a season at Notre Dame at the time, behind only Snow and Gatewood.

• Entering 2005, senior Maurice Stovall had caught only 61 passes for 1,046 yards and seven TDs in his first three seasons. Under first-year coach Charlie Weis during a top-10 finish, he eclipsed all those marks in one season with 69 catches, 1,149 yards and 11 scores. Junior consensus All-America Jeff Samardzija, meanwhile, hauled in 77 passes after catching only 24 his first two years.

From the no huddle we could have Floyd, Riddick, Rudolph, Ragone al lined up outside with Hughes as the lone back. Then we shift to a double TE with Riddick as the TB and Hughes at FB. Not sure Riddick will ever line up there but I would like to catch the defense with their pants down. No matter what, the thought of Riddick giving us a Tate like option is exciting.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast