Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Perspective

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by ACamp1900 View Post

I definately do not see that happening this year... but maybe soon
    That's why it is called a surprise! It's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyborn1971 View Post
    That's why it is called a surprise! It's coming.
    ^^ I like it

;)
    "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."-- Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ACamp1900 View Post
    I have stated the overall point of this thread many times in the past as well; in fact I just discussed this yesterday with a student. Although the more I have thought about it, the more one thing stands out that simply does not make this apples to apples.

Each of the teams mentioned for a means of comparison have basically taken on a "Win at all costs" mentality, meaning winning comes first, second and third... academics is not a remote priority for some of those schools. ND does not adopt and I do not believe ever will, that type of mentality.They will win the right way or not all at... No?

It's hard to compete at such heightened levels in ANY FIELD when those you are competing with pull every trick they can and you tie your own hands…

I’m not saying ND should start over signing or forgetting the big picture (though I now believe strongly that JuCos have to be a factor for this to ever fully turn around)… All I am saying is, in the current environment of college football it is becoming harder and harder for me to envision a scenario where Notre Dame becomes a year in, year out, top five level team again like Lou and Ara had them (basically what bama is now) until ND makes some changes or the teams mentioned above are forced to change by the NCAA etc… I'm really starting to wonder if 05 style runs every few years are more realistic.

I was less optimistic until Stanford's recent success. It can be done w/ the right HC. I also agree w/ not firing HCs every 3-5 yrs unless it is unavoidable.

Harbaugh was at Stanford for 4 seasons. Is that an appropriate length of time for us to see if BK is moving in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
    Harbaugh was at Stanford for 4 seasons. Is that an appropriate length of time for us to see if BK is moving in the right direction?
    I'd have a hard time saying "Our coach did not go 11-1 and get a BCS bowl in his first 4 seasons, therefore he's probably not the guy." Please, let us not forget that Harbaugh's first 3 seasons at Stanford were 4-8, 5-7, and 8-5.

And they weren't playing MSU, Michigan, Oklahoma and Miami. They played SC, Oregon and some other dudes.

I don't disagree, but that argues against the theory that "Stanford did it, so can we."

I don't disagree, but that argues against the theory that "Stanford did it, so can we."
    I didn't mean in the same time frame....just that academics should not be an excuse. The overall situations at each school are not an Apples-to-apples comparison.

How so, Irishdodger? Andrew Luck vs. Tommy Rees
    KeiVarae Russell: "When the coaches told me over the next few days in the film room that I was gonna start I was like ‘Uh Oh’.”

True, although for different reasons than academics/Indiana. I don't think ND would have ever given 1 year to a guy whose only significant coaching experience was at a I-AA school that didn't give athletic scholarships, let alone 3 or 5.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast