Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Links

Links

Register to remove this advertisement
    Svo, I got a question for ya. I know nothing about Perl, PHP, XHTML or any other coding language but is there a way to have names in an article automatically become links if they match the same name that's already in a database?

For instance, I'm thinking in perfect cyber world, if I posted an article about, say, Alex Anzalone, and his name was properly spelled could a code automatically recognize it as being in a database (a recruiting profile database, in this case) and automatically make his name, in the article, a link to his recruiting profile ?

One other question, I notice that when I post a link, it doesn't become underlined or turn blue like I'm used to. It just seems to turn the font a little bit bolder. Is that under your supreme power or is that the forum software ?

Theoretically it's possible if you coded your site that way or had a database that you associated with said tags. In applying that with the forum here, the best way to do something like that is to use the built-in thread tagging. I tried to push that in the past but nobody ever tagged their threads. If you look down below, you'll see something that says "Tags for this thread" and that would work similarly.

Aha ! I'll try that the next time I post an article. Thanks Bud.

Quote Originally Posted by NDAlumSon View Post
    Aha ! I'll try that the next time I post an article. Thanks Bud.
    Yep. If everyone was religious with it, it would be extremely powerful.

As for the link behavior, I'll look into that here in a bit.

Changed the link behavior within posts. Is that good?

I like the new link setup.

What about posts I've clicked on/read/opened still showing as unread (bold) when I hit "New Posts". Sometimes threads I've read go to normal font, other times they stay bold. Is this happening to anyone else?

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

Quote Originally Posted by HoffVir View Post

What about posts I've clicked on/read/opened still showing as unread (bold) when I hit "New Posts". Sometimes threads I've read go to normal font, other times they stay bold. Is this happening to anyone else?
    That is unaffected by what I changed. You sure someone isn't posting in them after or simulatenous to you reading it?

Quote Originally Posted by HoffVir View Post

Hoff, if a thread is Bold and you then go read the latest post then hit the back button to return, the thread will remain Bold. You either have to re-click the name of the thread you just read for it to go non -bold or just go back (Back button in your browser) and reload or refresh the page and it will change to non-bold (regular font).

Quote Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
    That is unaffected by what I changed. You sure someone isn't posting in them after or simulatenous to you reading it?
    Yeah, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NDAlumSon View Post
    Hoff, if a thread is Bold and you then go read the latest post then hit the back button to return, the thread will remain Bold. You either have to re-click the name of the thread you just read for it to go non -bold or just go back (Back button in your browser) and reload or refresh the page and it will change to non-bold (regular font).
    I understand that's how it should work, all of that makes complete sense and was my understanding as well ... but it's not working like that for me.

It happened at old WeAreND every now and then, but here it seems more common. I have no idea why certain threads remain bold and others turn to normal font, it's completely random.

It's not really a big deal, just a minor annoyance.
    Last edited by HoffVir; 06-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

I've never had that happen to me, either here or back at the old haunt. Strange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast