Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

'14 IN WR Justin Brent (7/9/12 Notre Dame LOI EE)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Wide Receiver
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Speedway

Height:6'3"
    Weight:193 lbs
    40:4.6 secs
    Bench Max:270
    Squat Max:375

Links of Interest:
    Justin Brent - Yahoo! Sports

Justin Brent

Multimedia

Justin has been receiving interest from ND, Arkansas, Cincinnati, FSU, Illinios, Kentucky, Louisville, scUM, Minnesota, Oregon and State Penn. Justin has current plans to unofficially visit ND sometime in the next couple of weeks.

IrishIllustrated.com - Sophomore receiver plans visit (free)

Justin Brent has started to dip his toe into the waters of major college football recruiting.

Last season the sophomore wide receiver from Speedway High School in Indianapolis put his best foot forward with 40 receptions for 819 yards and 10 touchdowns. Interest from major programs across the country has been flowing in ever since.

Arkansas, Cincinnati, Florida State, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Oregon and Penn State have all checked in. Louisville hosted Brent on his first recruiting visit last week.

“It was really cool,” Brent said. “They made it known they want wide receivers. The film breakdown is a lot different. It was good. I was like taking notes. After I got out of the film room I was taking notes. I was like, ‘Ah, man there’s a lot of stuff that I learned that I can use.’ I can’t wait to get out to the field and starting using it.”

With the spring evaluation period opening up Brent expects several programs to send coaches by Speedway High to express interest. Cincinnati will be in Wednesday to watch a track meet and Louisville is scheduled to return soon.

Most other programs will follow suit with school visits while Brent plans to get back out on the road for himself in the next couple weeks.

“I know Minnesota wants to come see me,” Brent said. “Illinois, we just started talking. I’m supposed to be taking a visit to Notre Dame sooner or later. Sometime probably this week or next week. There’s so many that it’s hard to kind of keep up with it.”

Notre Dame dropped by school previously to check on the 6-foot-3, 193-pound prospect. Now it’s time for Brent to return the interest. There are some things that the Irish bring to mind.

“Definitely tradition,” Brent said. “It’s big. A lot of my friends’ parents are Notre Dame fans. They’re always watching the games on Saturdays. I’m just excited to see what the hype is about. I’m excited to get down there and take more visits too.”

Cincinnati, Illinois and Minnesota are some of the other programs Brent would like to visit but there is another recruitment he has to negotiate as well.

Brent plays both guard positions for the Speedway basketball team and has drawn interest from some mid-major programs. Indiana State is expected to watch an open gym today while IUPUI, Ball State and Georgia State have also expressed interest.??

During his freshman year Brent received a football recruiting questionnaire from Texas A&M but discarded it thinking he would pursue basketball. Now the tables have turned.

“I just left it at home because I was like, ‘I’m not gonna do football,’” Brent said. “My sophomore year the letters started pouring in and I started filling them out. I had a great season. I started to think, ‘Alright, maybe I can do this football thing.’”

Thanks in part to his season last fall Brent is focused mostly on football at this point. What isn’t tremendous size on the basketball court has turned into a major asset on the football field.

There are a few things that have brought coaches into the mix.

“Definitely my height,” Brent said. “And I have really, really good hands. I have the speed. I’m not extremely fast but I’m fast. I run a 4.6 or 4.7 right now. I’m working on getting that even lower. I’m strong too. I’m very strong. I’ve been in the weight room a lot.”
    Last edited by HoffVir; 07-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Justin will unofficially visit ND this weekend (April 21st) for the B&G spring game.

Sophmore year highlights............

Justin Brent (Speedway,IN) 2014 WR - YouTube

Senior Member Purebred Irishman's Avatar
    2014 Indy WR Coming To B-G Game

Justin Brent is just a sophomore, but he’s already getting serious looks from colleges in two sports.

The 6-foot-3, 193-pound prospect from Indianapolis’ Speedway High School is being targeted by college programs in both football and basketball.

“For football, I’m getting looked at by Louisville, Notre Dame, Arkansas, Minnesota, Illinois, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Oregon, Florida State, Tennessee, Michigan and Pitt,” the 2014 prospect said.

“In basketball, I’m getting looked at by Indiana State, Ball State, Georgia Tech and IUPUI.”

Brent followed up a breakout freshman season when he caught 37 passes for 544 yards and nine touchdowns with 40 receptions for more than 800 yards and 10 touchdowns as a sophomore, including one 262-yard, four-touchdown performance. He also averaged 13.8 points and seven rebounds for a Speedway hoops team that claimed a sectional championship this past season.

He’s managing to pull double-duty in terms of handling the recruiting process right now.

“I never rule out doing both in college. I know that’s very tough, but who knows what could happen.”

He worked out for the Indiana State basketball program earlier this week and will be at Notre Dame this weekend.

“They came by about two months and said they were interested,” Brent said of the Irish coaches. “They’ve been sending me stuff about getting up for camps or going up for a visit. I’m finally going to return the favor and come for a visit this Saturday for the spring game.”

He’s excited about his first trip to campus.

“I am looking forward to it,” he said. “Everybody around here says they love Notre Dame, so I’m excited to get down there and see what everything is like.”

He’s done a little bit of research himself.

“I know they have great tradition,” he said. “I’ve caught myself Googling Notre Dame and seeing everything on Wikipedia. It’s crazy to go down there now after watching them a lot. I was watching them play USC earlier this year.”

Brent combines his frame with athleticism that serves him well on the basketball court and speed.

“I’d say my height and hands,” said Brent when asked what sticks out about his game on the gridiron. “Recently I’ve gotten a lot stronger. I’m not the fastest guy, but I am pretty fast. I do a lot. I’m good at route-running. I can do a lot, but I really can’t say.”

It’s early, but Brent’s priorities are in order in terms of evaluating colleges.

“I want to major in either business management or broadcasting,” he said. “School always comes first because you never know what can happen with sports. Other than that, you want to be somewhere comfortable and where they want you.”
    All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract themfrom achieving their aims.

- Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame football coach

BCS Interest For Brent (free)

Indianapolis (Ind.) Speedway sophomore receiver Justin Brent has made a name for himself as one of the Hoosier State’s top pass catchers the past two seasons.

The 6-foot-3, 182-pound Brent introduced himself to varsity football catching 37 passes for 544 yards and nine touchdowns as a freshman. He followed that up this fall with 40 receptions for 819 yards and 10 scores.

Texas A&M was first to notice Brent’s abilities, but when the Aggies sent that letter following his ninth grade campaign, Brent still had the mindset he was a basketball player first.

“I was taking visits to Indiana and Purdue for basketball and they gave me that letter and I kind of didn’t pay attention to it,” Brent said. “I wasn’t going to do football. It was something I wasn’t going to do.”

Then the letters started coming in from Arkansas, Florida, Notre Dame, Illinois, Louisville and Kentucky, and Brent’s tune started to change. He recently took a visit to Louisville, and Cincinnati was by the school to see him on Wednesday.

“I’ve started thinking, maybe this is something I want to do,” Brent laughed.

The basketball interest is still there for Brent as well. He worked out for Indiana State on Tuesday, and Ball State, IUPUI and Georgia State are showing personal interest.

“I’d say I’m 50-50 on what I want to play,” Brent said.

Speedway football coach Denny Pelley knew long before anyone he had a special player in his program. Brent arrived a running back, but to get him on the field right away, Pelley moved him to receiver.

“We thought it would be a little less traumatic for him,” Pelley said. “There is a lot of stuff our running backs have to do. They block, there is terminology, and we thought if we started him out wide, he could just be an athlete. That’s what he does best, be an athlete. One thing led to another and when he became more than an athlete, he’s a football player and an athlete, he’s learned and become a better player.”

Brent and his 4.6 speed in the 40-yard dash really evolved this fall.

“He’s made some big plays,” Pelley said. “Some go-to plays. They know we’re going to throw it to him. He knows we’re going to throw it to him and he made some big plays.”

During the fall, Brent was invited to the Arkansas-South Carolina game but wasn’t able to make it to the Razorbacks campus. His visit to Louisville was his first-ever football recruiting trip.

“Everybody was so nice,” Brent said. He’s been keeping in contact with assistant Vance Bedford. “I’ve been on several basketball recruiting visits where the people are nice, but with them it was just like they’re so accepting. It’s nothing but positive stuff from the strength and conditioning program to the coaches.”

Brent got to sit in on a team meeting and watch a Louisville spring practice.

“I love the way they broke down film,” he recapped. “The way they broke down film was amazing. I learned so much. I just can’t wait to go out and use it. I took down notes. I love the way they ran practice. It was so fast paced.

“They really liked me, Brent continued. “They were giving hints. When someone dropped a ball they were giving hints saying we need new wide receivers. They’re on me pretty heavy.”

Brent is looking to visit Notre Dame on Saturday, but as of Wednesday afternoon, that trip wasn’t completely set in stone. He has several schools he wants to see in the summer.

“I’ll probably end up going to Illinois, maybe Minnesota, Cincinnati and Michigan.

Brent added that Indiana and Purdue would also likely get visits.

Brent Blown Away

It’s still early in the recruiting process for 2014 Indiana wide receiver Justin Brent, but as a dual-sport prospect, Brent has seen his share of colleges.

“It was amazing,” Brent said following Saturday’s visit to Notre Dame for the Irish’s Blue-Gold Game.

“It was one of the best visits I’ve ever been on basketball or football. I’m definitely glad I came and they’re glad I came.”

The 6-foot-3, 193-pounder from Indianapolis’ Speedway High School doesn’t have any offers at this early stage, but he is receiving interest from schools like Florida State, Michigan, Oregon, Arkansas, Louisville and Pittsburgh in addition to Notre Dame and others.

“It was just different,” Brent said of his trip to South Bend. “Everything was set up well, everyone was so friendly. I was signing autographs for people. That was probably one of the coolest parts.

“It was just amazing, everybody was so friendly and welcomed you. You’ve got to love that. The facilities were so nice. It’s just hard not to like it.”

The Irish plan on continuing the contact with Brent and it sounds like he’s a guy they’d consider offering down the road.

“They’re going to come down to Speedway to see me and they have me coming to an evaluation that they do, so I’m going to be going up there,” he said of a return trip for summer camp.

“They said an offer could happen.”

Notre Dame assistant Mike Elston handles in-state recruiting for the Irish.

“I talked to Elston, but I also talked to almost every other coach,” said Brent. “They all came up and greeted you. I had conversations with all of them and they’re glad I came.

“(Elston) said he’s definitely going to come down and check on me in the spring, he’s going to talk to my coach. I know I’m for sure coming back. He said I’ve got to come back. I’m excited.”

Brent enjoyed the other recruits and current players he met during the day.

“I met a lot of them,” he said. “I didn’t really talk to them that much. I talked to Gunner Kiel, he’s real cool.”

He felt like Notre Dame is a place he could fit in socially.

“I’m cool and outgoing and everybody else was too,” he said. “There were no egos, no nothing. Everybody was really friendly and cool.”

Brent didn’t have much to say about the game itself and that’s a good sign.

“I loved it,” he said. “I can’t even say anything, I’m speechless. There’s not even a word to describe it.”

He certainly picked up on the amount of time the Irish put the ball in the air.

“That’s the first thing the coaches said,” he said. “They said they like to throw it and they need wideouts. They said maybe I could be their guy.”

Brent is enjoying the early stages of the recruiting process.

“It’s getting bigger and bigger each week. It’s getting kind of ridiculous, but I can’t complain.”
    All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract themfrom achieving their aims.

Justin plans to return to South Bend and unofficially visit for the June 22nd summer camp.

Brent's Busy Summer
    SUNDAY, 10 JUNE 2012 09:34 CHRISTIAN MCCOLLUM

Justin Brent enjoyed the spring portion of recruiting, which included a visit to Notre Dame’s spring game and several visits from colleges at his high school during the May evaluation period..

“Everything is going great,” the 2014 wide receiver from Speedway High School in Indianapolis said.

“Illinois came by, Northwestern came by. Ohio State was supposed to come by, but my coach wasn’t there when they were coming by. Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue.

“A lot of schools were coming by.”

Notre Dame didn’t make it to Speedway during the month of May, but Irish assistant Mike Elston has stayed in touch.

“He sent me some mail with his card in it and trying to get me up there to their camp,” said Brent. “I’ll be up there June 22nd.”

The Irish’s camp will represent the summer portion of recruiting for Brent, which actually started earlier this month at the Nike Football Training Camp in Champaign, Ill. Brent also made a recent stop at Louisville and is planning to get to Ohio State next week among others.

“I know I’m going to the Notre Dame one and July 30th, I’m going to the Cincinnati under the lights one,” he said.

Brent is looking forward to the chance to perform on the field.

“I just want to go out there and show everybody that it’s not a fluke and I am pretty good,” laughed Brent. “I want to show that I can compete.

“It’s what you work for. It’s something I think about whenever I go through speed, agilities and running routes, just to showcase. Hopefully all of the hard work pays off.”

Brent believes he’s nearing his first offer.

“It’s looking pretty good, but I’ve still got a lot of work to do,” he said.

He doesn’t know what the first offer will feel like.

“It’s something that you really don’t how it’s going to feel until you actually get it, so I don’t know how it’s going to feel,” he said.

A busy summer schedule will also be packed with 7-on-7 events and basketball responsibilities for his high school squads, but the dual-sport athlete won’t be doing AAU basketball this summer.

“This is the first year I’ve done that,” he said. “I’ve been playing AAU since the second or third grade. This is my first year not playing, so hopefully it pays off.”
    http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...ts-busy-summer
    Last edited by zimmsbg78; 06-12-2012 at 07:33 AM.

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...ns-heads-at-nd

Justin Brent was almost speechless following his first visit to Notre Dame for the Irish’s spring game in April.

The 2014 Indianapolis wide receiver was equally impressed after his trip to South Bend for the Irish’s Future Stars Camp on Friday.

“It was amazing,” the 6-foot-3, 193-pounder from Speedway High School said. “I had a lot of fun.”

The highlight of the trip came after the camp portion of the visit.

“They brought me in for a meeting afterward and I met Coach (Brian) Kelly,” Brent said. “I talked to all of the coaches, it was amazing.”

The Irish head coach made it clear to Brent that he liked what he saw from the wideout on the field.

“He said I impressed him a lot,” Brent said of Kelly. “He came in, met me and shook my hand. He talked to me and my coach for a little bit. I talked with the QB coach (Chuck Martin) and he said he was a fan of me before when he saw me on tape and after he saw me today, he's an even bigger fan of me.”

The Irish staff told Brent that he’s moving up their board.

“That's always a blessing,” he said. “It felt really good, there's no other way to really put it. It just felt really good, especially having a meeting and talking to him, it shows that they have a lot of interest in me and shows that they want me.”

Brent said his consistency and athleticism stuck out on Friday.

“I didn't drop one ball today,” he said. “I probably got nine balls thrown to me and I either caught them or they went over my head. I didn’t drop one ball today, so I did really well.

“The quarterbacks coach said I could jump to get the ball, I have something in me that you can't really teach, adjusting to the ball in the air. There’s a lot of guys who can catch, but being able to adjust to the ball in the air is something different.”

Brent is searching for his first offer and expects the contact from Notre Dame to continue.

“I know that they're going to stay in touch with my coach and as soon as my junior year starts, they can start Facebooking me and talking to me and all that stuff,” he said. “They said I can come down to any game I want next year. Sounds like it should be pretty fun.”

Brent certainly plans on taking Notre Dame up on the offer.

“I’ll definitely come down and check them out,” he said. “I enjoyed the game during the spring game, so that will be amazing coming back down.”

Brent will camp at Ohio State on Saturday and Cincinnati next month with a trip to Dallas for the Rivals Underclassmen Challenge sandwiched in between.

Josh Helmholdt ‏@JoshHelmholdt
    #NotreDame is the 1st to offer 2014 Indianapolis WR Justin Brent. Impressed at the Illinois NFTC http://bit.ly/PlKD14
    3:07 PM - 6 Jul 12

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast