Please Support Our Sponsors

'13 VA LB Matt Rolin (Verbal Offer/Florida Commit)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Linebacker
    Ashburn, Virginia
    Briar Woods

Links of Interest:
    Matt Rolin - Yahoo! Sports

Matt Rolin

Height:6'4"
    Weight:215 lbs
    40:4.69 secs
    Shuttle:4.3
    Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

Matt recently added a verbal offer from ND. In addition to ND, Matt holds numerous verbal offers. He has verbal offers from ND, Baylor, Boston College, Colorado, UConn, Duke, FSU, UGA, Maryland, scUM, Ole' Miss, N.C. State, pOSU, State Penn, Purdue, USCe, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, UVA, Virginia Tech and Washington. Matt has unofficially visited Tennessee and UGA and has unofficially visited UVA and USCe for junior days. He previously held a top three of UGA, USCe and FSU.

ND Offers Virginia LB

ND Offers Virginia LB

Tuesday, 10 April 2012 20:01
    Trent Adams

The Notre Dame coaching staff handed out several verbal offers to some of the nation's top prospects over the first couple of months this year.

Now with 10 verbal commitments in the fold, the offers haven't been going out as frequently, but the coaching staff is still looking for more talented prospects to fit its schemes.

On Tuesday, the Irish extended an offer to another talented defensive prospect from the East Coast.

Matt Rolin of Ashburn, Va., (Briar Woods High School) has seen his recruitment pick up momentum over the last few months.

In addition to Notre Dame, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound outside linebacker has received offers from Baylor, Boston College, Florida State, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, South Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Washington. He's also receiving heavy interest from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Georgia Tech and North Carolina.

The Virginia native is being recruited by new assistant Scott Booker and the two of them have built a good relationship over the last two months. Booker delivered the news to Rolin's head coach, who informed him of his newest offer.

"I really didn't hear from Notre Dame that much until a couple of months ago," he said. "Coach Booker and I speak three or four times a month and we're starting to build a good relationship. He called my coach earlier today and let him know they were offering me. He said they really want me at Notre Dame, I guess he's going to come out here and visit my school in a couple of weeks."

The four-star prospect doesn't know much about Notre Dame, but what he does know, has him intrigued to learn more.

"I really like their history and tradition, but I don't know much about them," he noted. "I also know that the education is very good and they always play one of the toughest schedules in the country. I've been picking up on some other stuff from Coach Booker and the mail I received from them."

Rolin, who recorded 94 tackles, eight sacks and two interceptions as a junior, is intrigued with how he'd fit in Notre Dame's defense.

"They run a 3-4 defense and that's exactly what we run at my school," he explained. "The coaches like my versatility as a linebacker, they feel I can contribute as a pass rusher, while also being able to drop back into coverage. I could play in a 4-3 but I prefer to play in a 3-4 set."

The Briar Woods star is hoping to visit Notre Dame soon.

"I'm hoping to get out to Notre Dame and see what the campus is all about this summer, I'm not sure when though," he said. "It would be a good opportunity to meet the players and sit down with the coaches in person. I just want to see a school like Notre Dame up close before I make any decisions with my recruitment."

Rolin has already listed three schools that are standing out, but that is subject to change.

"Right now, my top three schools are Georgia, South Carolina and Florida State," he shared. "Those schools are recruiting me the harvest and I've built great relationships with the coaches. I'm still wide open and considering all of the other schools recruiting me. I keep getting offers from great programs like Notre Dame and Oklahoma, so I'd be silly not to explore those options."

Even though the Ashburn product doesn't plan on making a decision anytime soon, he does know exactly what he's looking for in a future college.

"If you're going to spend four or five years of your life somewhere, it's important that it feels like home," he explained. "I also want the opportunity to get early playing time and show what I can do to help the team. I'd love to make a decision in the next few months, but I don't think that's going to be possible. I'll be using all of my official visits and then I'll commit next January."

Rolin was a teammate of "12 Stanford commit and ND legacy Alex Carter.

Rolin has named a top five and a current leader. His top five consists of USCe, Florida, Virginia Tech, UGA and FSU. USCe is currently in the driver's seat.

JC Shurburtt ‏@jcshurburtt
    Matt Rolin commits to the #Gamecocks http://southcarolina.247sports.com/B...Board-Forum-44
    from Brentwood, TN
    2:42 PM - 25 May 12

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445291 (free)

EXAMPLE NO. 3: Ashburn (Va.) Briar Woods linebacker Matt Rolin was a kid I crossed off my "follow" list when he committed to South Carolina.

At the beginning of the process, I thought he might head to Virginia Tech, where his brother plays, but once he set his sights on the Gamecocks it was all over. After all, pretty much all of his family aside from his brother graduated from South Carolina and he was tweeting like he was already a member of the team.

So when he took a quiet official visit to Florida this past weekend, at first I didn't think much of it. Just a recruit having some fun, right? Rolin has since told me he is torn between South Carolina and Florida, it's "50-50" between the two and he will decide at the end of the week.

Why the delay? Rolin is having ACL surgery, which is being performed by the South Carolina team surgeon, this week. Huh? That's right, after they repair his knee he could flip to a hated rival. I'm not buying it. I think he sticks with the Gamecocks despite the temptation provided by Florida.

Florida has been on Rolin hard the last couple weeks. They have visited his house, school and are in constant contact.

Flipped to the Gators.

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

Community Moderator stonebreakerwasgod's Avatar
    Obviously, Education is paramount in his decision. The other school not chosen was Animal House.
    Member: Irish Guards-GH Division

Quote Originally Posted by stonebreakerwasgod View Post
    Obviously, Education is paramount in his decision. The other school not chosen was Animal House.
    There's still 8 weeks until NSD, so there's still hope for "Animal House"