Not a Supporting Member?

Become a Gold Club Supporting Member to remove this box and all other advertisments! Only $15 per year. Click HERE for more info!

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

'13 PA LB Alex Anzalone (Verbal Offer/Florida Commit)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Linebacker
    Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
    Wyomissing Area

Links of Interest:
    Alex Anzalone - Yahoo! Sports

Alex Anzalone

Height:6'3"
    Weight:220 lbs
    Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

ND has verbally offered Alex. Alex's recruitment has exploded this week. He has added verbal offers from ND, Bama, Florida, UVA, pOSU, USCe, MSU, West Virginia and UConn this week. He previously held verbal offers from Boston College, Northwestern, Rutgers, Syracuse, Purdue, Duke and Temple before the current week. He has unofficially visited pOSU and MSU for junior days.
    Last edited by zimmsbg78; 02-23-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Gold Club Member Purebred Irishman's Avatar
    Recruiting Week In Review

Alex Anzalone, LB, 6-3, 220, Wyomissing Area High School, Wyomissing, PA already holds offers from the likes of Ohio State, Alabama and Florida and last week he added another big one when Notre Dame offered. He probably had an inkling of what was coming when new Irish offensive line coach Harry Hiestand asked the talented Pennsylvanian to give him a call.

I called him, said Anzalone. We talked for a little bit and he offered.

Anzalone was thrilled by the Notre Dame scholarship offer.
    I was really happy, he said. A great university like that, thats interested in me, it just feels awesome. Just the great mixture of academics, football tradition and good people and Im sure that campus is great. All of that just got me really excited.

Anzalone is looking for dates to visit the Notre Dame campus and Notre Dames two upcoming Junior Days should provide him with the perfect opportunity.

Coach mentioned there are Junior Days on March 3rd and March 24th, said Anzalone. I think Ill go down to one of those, Im not sure yet and also spring practice.

Anzalone has already visited a number of schools including Ohio State, Boston College and Maryland. He has plans to go to Penn State and Virginia. These visits are especially important for him because he hopes to make a decision before the beginning of his senior season.

I think I want to commit before the season, he said. Im not completely sure when it will be, but Im pretty sure I want to do that. I just want to get around the campuses as much as I can and narrow down my choices and see what I like and dont like, the pros and cons and narrow down my choices and go from there.

Anzalone has already established a list of priorities of what hes looking for in a school.
    Academics is number one, he said. He also listed things like a rich tradition, great atmosphere and the quality of people around the program.

While Notre Dame is looking at Anzalone primarily as a linebacker they have also mentioned the possibility of him playing tailback. For him it validated his athleticism.
    It makes me feel pretty good about myself, he stated. It proves to myself that Im athletic and can play multiple positions.

As a junior, Anzalone ran for 917 yards on 79 carries and 13 touchdowns. He also recorded 58 solo tackles. All of this came in a junior season where his playing time was limited by a number of lopsided victories.
    All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract themfrom achieving their aims.

- Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame football coach

Alex has added verbal offers from State Penn, scUM and Louisville. He plans to unofficially visit ND for the second junior day on March 24th.

Four-star LB gets offer, sets visit (free)

Four-star outside linebacker Alex Anzalone (Reading, PA/ Wyomissing Area) is one of the most coveted players in talent-rich Pennsylvania. With about 20 scholarship offers on the table already, the Michigan Wolverines decided to throw their hat in.

“Coach (Curt) Mallory had me call him,” Anzalone began. “He told me that the staff loved my tape and thought I was really athletic. Coach (Mallory) said that they think I would fit in great at Sam linebacker for them and that I had an official offer from Michigan. The quality of academics mixed with big time football is really appealing to me about Michigan.”

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Anzalone will visit Ann Arbor unofficially on March 23rd. He has previously visited Boston College, Connecticut, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State and Rutgers.

“I’m going to see Michigan and Notre Dame on the same weekend there in March,” said Anzalone. “I’m really excited about Michigan. In the school I choose, I’m just going to be looking for solid academics, a great football program, rich tradition, and great people to surround myself with.”

Another thing that stands out to Anzalone about Michigan is the possibility of playing under veteran defensive coordinator Greg Mattison.

“It would be an honor to play under a coach like that because of his knowledge for the game and the players that he has developed in the NFL,” said Anzalone.

Anzalone insisted he is open to any program right now and he has no leaders so far in the recruiting process. He plans on making a final decision before the start of his senior season.

Stanford University is a school Anzalone mentioned he would like to pick up an offer from before he made a decision.

Anzalone completed his junior season with 58 tackles and one interception in limited action, helping lead Wyomissing to an 11-1 record. Anzalone also played tailback on offense.

The standout linebacker has a 247Sports rating of 91, checking in at No. 231 in the Top247. Anzalone is the fifth ranked prospect in the state on Pennsylvania.

WOW! Alex is really blowing up in only a matter of two weeks.....

OU, UGA, Washington and Duke have all verbally offered in the past day or so......

I don't like this quote in the 247 article Im going to see Michigan and Notre Dame on the same weekend there in March, said Anzalone. Im really excited about Michigan.

Ah recruiting. Michigan went to a BCS bowl and won, ND went to a lower bowl and lost. Just win baby. ND has to beat scUM next season and then I'll like their chances with some of these recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks inda Loo View Post
    I don't like this quote in the 247 article “I’m going to see Michigan and Notre Dame on the same weekend there in March,” said Anzalone. “I’m really excited about Michigan.

Ah recruiting. Michigan went to a BCS bowl and won, ND went to a lower bowl and lost. Just win baby. ND has to beat scUM next season and then I'll like their chances with some of these recruits.
    u know that article is written by a mich writer, right?

Quote Originally Posted by a1ND View Post
    u know that article is written by a mich writer, right?
    I just doublechecked the byline. For some reason I thought it was Wilfong's article. I feel better now. My cheerios may digest this morning.

Two more verbal offers for Alex. U$C and Stanford have verbally offered.

Alex Anzalone getting bigger and better - ESPN (free with video interview)

WYOMISSING, Pa. -- Bob Wolfrum first realized he had something special in Alex Anzalone early in Anzalone's sophomore year at Wyomissing (Pa.) Area. It doesn't take long for Wolfrum to remember specific examples.

"It was a scrimmage and he happened to be running a sweep and there was nothing there, and I saw him take off and make a play of his own," said Wolfrum, Wyomissing Area's longtime coach.

And Anzalone wasn't done yet.

"We try to play as tough a nonleague schedule as we can, and the first game we played Pottsville," Wolfrum said. "That was a pretty tough team and that was his first high school game, and he was sticking it up in there. He probably made more tackles than anyone else we had."

That was back when he was a 6-foot, 180-pound defensive back. Now a 6-foot-3, 224-pound linebacker on ESPNU's Watch List, Anzalone has 31 offers. He says there is a simple key to his constant improvement.

"Definitely my size," Anzalone said. "I put on, like, 40 pounds from the end of my sophomore year to the start of my junior year. That helped a lot."

Working out six times a week, Anzalone followed a simple motto: You have to create the demand and feed the demand. So he increased his calorie intake, having six meals a day and anywhere from 10 to 12 eggs a day.

Surprisingly, the eating was harder for Anzalone than the working out.

"My dad pretty much force-fed me for a little bit," Anzalone jokes. "There were a couple times when I ate too much."

Anzalone has been working out with a couple of NFL players recently, and while he might not have learned much about work ethic from the NFL vets -- he argues he is in better shape than they are -- they did teach him a little about the recruiting process.

"They said when it comes down to picking, pick a school that you fit in with the players and see yourself going," Anzalone said. "You shouldn't pick a school based on the depth chart or anything like that because if you're good, you'll play."

Anzalone visited Penn State this past weekend, and over the next few weekends he will check out Florida, Ohio State, Stanford, UCLA and USC. He said he does not have any favorites since he has not yet seen many of the schools he is interested in.

Anzalone remains humble about the recruiting process and is taken aback when he considers the coaches he gets to meet.

"I remember the first time meeting coach [Urban] Meyer, especially since I followed Florida when I was younger. It was crazy. It seems like he's a celebrity," Anzalone said.

It won't be a long and drawn out recruitment for Anzalone, though. He plans to have a decision before the start of his senior season. He is taking four AP-level classes and several other honors courses on his way to graduating in December so he can enroll at a school for the 2013 spring semester.

So it's no surprise his education will be key in his decision.

"Academics, of course," he said, "[and] definitely the people around the program and its tradition."

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast