Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

'13 TX LB Deon Hollins Jr. (Verbal Offer/UCLA Commit)

Linebacker
    Missouri City, Texas
    Fort Bend Marshall

Links of Interest:
    Deon Hollins Jr. - Yahoo! Sports

Deon Hollins

Height:6'2"
    Weight:215 lbs
    40:4.7 secs
    Vertical:27 inches
    Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

Deon currently holds verbal offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Duke, Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, Texas Tech, Washington and Tulsa. Receiving interest from ND, Bama, OU, TCU and Texas. He has already unofficially visited Texas Tech, Texas and Cal for there junior days. Deon's father said they are currently looking at ND, Washington, Oregon, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Stanford.

Hollins High On Irish (free)

Deon Hollins Jr. didn’t want Kerry Cooks to think he was being rude, but the 6-foot-2, 222-pound defensive end/linebacker from Missouri City, Texas wasn’t sure how to answer the Notre Dame assistant coach’s question.

“It was so funny,” Hollins’ father, Deon Hollins Sr. recalled.

“Coach Cooks asked Deon if he was interested in Notre Dame and Deon said, ‘Coach, no disrespect, but that’s like asking me if I’m interested in breathing.’”

As a lifelong Irish fan, Hollins Sr. was impressed with his son’s response.

“I thought that was such a cool answer,” he said. “He understands Notre Dame, he really does. It’s one of those things where you can’t not be interested. Even if Notre Dame has kind of dropped out of the prominence per se, there’s still something about them like, ‘Wow.’”

Hollins Sr. grew up watching Jerome Bettis and Reggie Brooks playing for the Irish and being recruited by Notre Dame was a dream of his own. He’s proud to see it come true for his son, who already has offers from schools like Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Texas Tech, Duke, Arizona, Arkansas and Colorado among others.

“When Coach Cooks first reached out to Deon, I was thinking, ‘Wow, that’s quite an honor,’” Hollins Sr. said. “It’s just a blessing to even be considered by those guys.”

Hollins Jr. is still grasping the magnitude that comes with being a national recruit and was even a little shocked to hear Notre Dame was recruiting him, but he also has an appreciation for the Irish.

“He’s real picky and when we came up with his top five and he put Notre Dame in there without an offer, I said, ‘Wow,’” Hollins Sr. admitted. “Because kids can be fickle, like, ‘They didn’t offer me yet.’”

There are a plenty of reasons to like Notre Dame, according to Hollins Sr.

“Just the tradition and the prestige that goes along with being a part of Notre Dame stands out the most,” he said. “Second, I think the fact that they have Coach Brian Kelly. I’m familiar with his track record at Cincinnati and other places. I went on Youtube and pulled up a video of him talking to the team and you literally got fired up just watching to the video. I think he understands the pride of Notre Dame. Thirdly, I would say the defensive scheme. The 3-4 is what intrigues me.

“Deon has been playing in the 4-3 pretty much since he could walk. It’s been brought up by experts that he’s going to be projected to be an outside backer, but he has the unique ability to play inside, on the line and have his hand down in the dirt. He’s such a gifted pass rusher.”

Hollins Jr. finished his junior season at Fort Bend Marshall High School with more than 70 tackles, 22 for a loss, and 15 sacks. His father is convinced he’s the best pass rusher in the Lone Star State, “I would stake a claim on that.”

But Hollins Sr. believes his would be even better with the flexibility he’d have in the 4-3. Apparently, Cooks agrees and believes Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco will as well.

“He told me the different ways they use the outside linebacker,” Hollins Sr. said of Cooks. “He was talking about Deon’s ability and he was like, ‘Shoot, we haven’t had anybody like that in a long time where they can just get there in a hurry.’”

While playing in a 3-4 scheme is important, geography isn’t. “Deon doesn’t mind going out of state,” his father said.

One look at his top five proves both.

“Right now, we’re looking at the University of Washington, Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Stanford,” Hollins Sr. said.

And they aren’t too concerned about the lack of an Irish offer at this point.

“It’s coming,” Hollins Sr. said. “Coach Cooks wanted the staff and Diaco to evaluate the film. He said, ‘We’re going to get through signing day and then we’re going to take a break and we’re going to come right back and he’s going to be our first priority.’ I know it’s coming.”

Cooks being from Texas will help the Irish’s case, but Hollins Jr. has built a solid relationship with Washington assistant Tosh Lupoi as well. While distance won’t play a major factor, Notre Dame’s television contract could.

“Another thing is the fact that they play on TV every week,” Hollins Sr. added. “There’s something about them I love to watch.”

The family hasn’t set up a visit to South Bend just yet, but one is surely coming in the future.

“I’ve always wanted to go,” Hollins’ father said. “I think I’ll have the pleasure of getting there soon. Nothing is concrete yet, but we’ll definitely make it that way.”

Hollins Jr.’s success extends beyond the physical side of playing the game and offers from schools like Stanford and Duke back that up.

“He’s a 3.9 GPA student, he’s in all honors courses,” said Hollins Sr. “He’s a smart kid who understands the game of football to a science. He really prides himself on knowing his position, understanding the position.”

Hollins Sr. has also been impressed with the maturity his 16-year-old son has shown through the early stages of the process.

“One of the big things for me was that he go in and play early, but he was like, ‘Dad, I want to be ready,’” recalled Hollins Sr. “’I want to go in and know the playbook. I want to be physically ready. If I have to redshirt a year, I’m fine with that.’ Most kids would say, ‘I want to go in there and play early.’

“He wants to be great. I think that’s one of the biggest things about him is that he understands greatness and what it takes to be great.”

he has a ND offer according to rivals now

Quote Originally Posted by DublinIrish View Post
    he has a ND offer according to rivals now
    Yes Rivals does show a verbal offer while 247sports.com or ISD don't. I usually wait until there is a verbal offer confirmation from two sites to list a prospect with the verbal offer from ND. There are a couple other prospects that are listed with verbal offers but are not confirmed with any of the other ND sites.

Senior Member Purebred Irishman's Avatar
    Scout.com: Dandy Dozen for Hollins Jr.

Deon Hollins Jr. is up to a dozen offers with the latest two from Big 12 schools. He also has some upcoming trips on tap. Scout.com has the low down.

Deon Hollins Jr., a 6-foot1.5, 215-pound linebacker from Marsihall High in Texas was happy to report two new offers. This time they cane by of the Big 12 in Oklahoma State and Kansas State.
    He had the chance to talk with OSU head coach Mike Gundy about that offer and the time with the coach on the phone was special.

“He actually offered about a week ago,” Hollins Jr., explained. “He was telling me that they were fired up with what they saw on film and that they are going after a lot of Houston guys.”

“The things I like about them is that they care about players a lot and he talked about that. They have been winning a lot the past couple of years and that stands out. We talked a lot of things but those are the things that stood out the most.”

In addition to the offers from OSU and KSU Hollins Jr. also holds offers form schools like Texas Tech, Nebraska, Washington, Arizona, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Stanford, Tulsa, Colorado and Duke.

At this early point in the game his favorites list is bound to change from day-to-day, but there are a few schools sticking out to him.

“Washington, Nebraska, Texas Tech are the ones that stand out right now,” said Hollins Jr., who also put Oklahoma State on that list of early faves.

He could see himself playing for a number of programs. He is not afraid to leave the state of Texas either and is looking forward to getting out to see some programs before the process concludes, but there is something that he is looking for in a school.

Because he is a talent that will likely be moving from one position to another he hopes to find a program that can find a true home for him in its defensive schemes.

“Scheme wise, I would like to come to college with a particular thing to do,” Hollins Jr. explained. “Location is not a going to be a factor at all. Scheme wise, I would like to have a plan laid out for how they are going to use me.”

This spring Hollins Jr. hopes to attend the National Underclassmen Combine and the Nike Football Training Camp. He has Junior Day trips scheduled to Texas Tech (Feb. 18) and Texas (Feb. 25). He would like to possibly try to make it to Oregon for the Spring Game.
    All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract themfrom achieving their aims.

- Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame football coach

ND HC Brian Kelly verbally offered over the phone. Deon almost verbally commited to Texas A&M during his unofficial visit for there junior day but didn't like how he would fit defensively. Washington is the current leader.

Hollins A Special Talent, Person (free)

Deon Hollins is quickly making a name for himself as one of the top 2013 defensive prospects in the state of Texas.

“He’s pretty special,” Fort Bend Marshall High School head coach James Williams said of the 6-foot-2, 225-pound linebacker/defensive end from Missouri City, Texas.

“He’s a very explosive player,” Williams added. “His get-off is the best I’ve seen. He’s learning to use great technique. He’s got a very good d-line coach that’s really been teaching him the ins and outs of playing defensive end the right way. He’s just really got a knack for being explosive, getting off the ball and making plays.”

Hollins has already gathered offers from schools like Notre Dame, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Duke, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Stanford, Texas Tech and Washington among others.

Notre Dame came through with its offer last week and the interest is mutual. Hollins has the Irish in his early six five along with Washington, Oregon, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Stanford, but the Sooners could be moving up as well.

Hollins does a great job anticipating snap counts and getting jumps on his opponent, which helped him notch more than 70 tackles, including 22 behind the line of scrimmage and 15 sacks, as a junior.

“He does a good job,” said Williams. “He looks at keys from the center, looks at the ball. He’s pretty special in that aspect.”

His knack to get off the ball, coupled with his explosive first step makes Hollins a dangerous pass rusher.

“It’s definitely very lethal,” said Williams. “Anytime you can put pressure on the quarterback without having to blitz or put your secondary at risk, it’s very beneficial for the team.”

Hollins prides himself on being a student of the game and his dedication to learning his craft is helping him blossom as a player.

“It’s critical,” Williams said. “That’s what makes him special. He’s not just out there running around. He’s actually using technique and playing with great hands and great leverage.”

And he’s as impressive off the field as he is on it, according to his coach.

“He’s a great kid,” said Williams. “He’s a yes-sir, no-sir type kid. He works his tail off. His GPA is off the charts. Those ones don’t come around very often.”

#UCLA and Ohio State latest to offer 4-star DE Deon Hollins (free)

Missouri City (Texas) Marshall four-star defensive end Deon Hollins already claims more than 15 offers from around the nation. But the 6-foot-1, 219-pound prep added two new offers this week.

Both offers certainly made an impact.

"Well earlier this week UCLA offered," Hollins said. "That's a big offer for me. I know my dad really likes them and the NFL experience. They have over 75 years of combined NFL experience on the staff. They run a 3-4 defense which fits me. I'm sure I'll be out there this Spring to check them out."

In addition to the Bruins, Ohio State also made an offer to Hollins.

"Ohio State was one of the schools I wanted an offer from," he said. "They told me I'm one of the top players at my position and that's why they wanted to offer me. I'm pretty surprised since they don't typically recruit the state of Texas. That's another school I want to visit for sure."

Hollins went on to say Washington, Arkansas and Utah are recruiting him on a consistent basis. That level of interest makes him feel wanted by that program.

"I want to go somewhere that wants me. Those are only a few schools that show a lot of interest in me. Texas A&M does too and I'll be over there for a Spring practice soon. I'm taking a lot of visits this Spring and look forward to seeing several new schools."

Miami is another program Hollins would like to hear more from.

Senior Member Purebred Irishman's Avatar
    Bruin

Scout.com: UCLA lands Texas LB

UCLA just picked up a big commitment from Missouri City (Texas) Marshall defensive end Deon Hollins. Hollins is easily among the nation’s top pass rushers and had offers from schools all over the country.
    All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract themfrom achieving their aims.

- Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame football coach

Deon Hollins talks about his decision to commit to the #Bruins (free)

Missouri City (Texas) Marshall defensive prospect Deon Hollins made his college choice tonight. And to the surprise of some, his plan, for now is to head West to UCLA.

UCLA offered only a few days ago, but as Bruin247 reported, the offer was a big one.

"Really it's just the combination of the 3-4 defense they run and the coaching staff's NFL experience," Hollins said. "I have felt all along the 3-4 defense would always suit me best since I don't feel like I'm a traditional linebacker."

Coach Demetrice Martin is in charge of the Houston area. However it was coach Jeff Ulbricht who also played a pivotal role in the decision to commit.

"Both coaches are great and have been recruiting me pretty hard," he said. "Coach Ulbricht is fresh out of the NFL and I know he can make me better. I know a lot of the services have me ranked as a four-star but the UCLA coaches have been telling me they think I have five-star potential."

The staff did not keep it cool when Hollins gave word of his commitment.

"I could hear them all hooting and hollering and clapping. It's crazy to hear them get that excited and know that it's for you."

Hollins said despite the commitment, he will continue to consider a few other schools to be certain of his decision.

Washington, Arkansas and Boise State are the main three programs Hollins will consider in addition to his UCLA commitment.

"I just want to be sure of my decision. But I consider myself a Bruin and it's where I want to be."

This weekend he will travel to the NFTC event in Dallas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast