Please Support Our Sponsors

'13 OH RB Dymonte Thomas (Verbal Offer/Michigan Commit)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Running Back
    Alliance, Ohio
    Marlington

Links of Interest:
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/fo...-Thomas-117956

http://247sports.com/Recruit/Dymonte-Thomas-8967

Height:5'11"
    Weight:167 lbs
    40:4.53 secs
    Bench Max:250
    Squat Max:200
    Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

Freshman highlights

According to B&G ND has recently verbally offered. He also already holds verbal offers from Illinios, Iowa, scUM, MSU, Pitt, Tennessee, UCLA and West Virginia. Receiving interest from Bama, Cincinnati, Florida, Northwestern and pOSU. Dymonte is current teammates with 2012 OT Zach Higgins a verbal commit to MSU.
    Last edited by zimmsbg78; 09-12-2011 at 09:14 AM.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...M-is-No.-1-now

In a year where Ohio's senior football class is being cited as one of the best in recent memory, one of that state's top juniors is stealing some of the recruiting spotlight.

In two short months, Alliance (Ohio) Marlington athlete Dymonte Thomas has emerged as one of the Buckeye State's hottest prospects and one of the most heavily-recruited players in the 2013 class. A standout on both sides of the ball, the 6-1, 185-pounder amassed 1,488 yards and 18 touchdowns from his tailback post while splitting carries. Meanwhile, as a defensive back, he racked up 116 tackles, six sacks and two interceptions.

"The thing about Dymonte is that he has two more seasons of high school left," Marlington head coach Ed Miley told Scout.com. "If he keeps on going the way he has so far, he could end up as both the leading rusher and tackler in Stark County history. Dymonte does great in the classroom and is very popular with his teammates. I see him as a safety at the next level, but he could do about anything really. (During the spring) he ran a 4.57 electronic 40-yard dash at the Nike Combine in Pittsburgh, so that tells you about his speed. He is a very physical player and a leader on this team."

Numerous college coaches agree. So far Michigan, Michigan State, West Virginia, Illinois, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Iowa, Notre Dame, Louisville and UCLA have extended scholarships. The Spartans, however, hold the distinction of being the first of that group to step forward with an offer.

"Michigan State was really nice," Thomas said of an April 1 visit to East Lansing. "I liked it up there. I thought it was a nice campus. I liked the weight room, the coaches are pretty nice, and the stadium was pretty nice."

Adding to appeal of the Green and White is the late April commitment of his high school teammate Zach Higgins. The big lineman's addition helped bolster Michigan State's status as a prime contender, but it didn't move them to the top of Thomas' list. Michigan has sat atop that perch since Thomas' memorable stop in Ann Arbor on April 2.

"Michigan was lovely, he said. "The stadium was really big, their whole locker room area was nice, and education-wise it is pretty good. Michigan seemed like a really nice fit for me. I got along with the coaches and some of the players and everything seemed right. Michigan rolled out the red carpet when I came. They showed me everything."

In subsequent weeks, Thomas' list of suitors has changed significantly, but he insists that his favorite has not.

"(The Wolverines) are still my No. 1 (because of) their education and their stadium," he explained. "People are getting on me about it, but they said if you like the college you just go there."

Michigan? 'Really?'
    Thomas' father made it a point from the onset of recruiting to encourage his son to be his own man and make his own decision. But not even he was expecting Ohio State's arch rival to be the beneficiary of that advice.

"When he said (Michigan is No. 1) I was just shocked," the elder Thomas admitted. "When he was a kid we had always talked about Ohio State. He has been down there with other kids and seen Ohio State. I was like, 'Really?' A couple days after that, me and him talked and I said, 'What are you thinking now?' He said, 'Being from Ohio, everyone expects you to go (to Ohio State). I want to be different.'"

The talented youngster's stark change in allegiance can be further explained by Ohio State's recent NCAA troubles. The turmoil in Columbus has caused many prospects to think long and hard about the potential sanctions facing the storied program. Thomas is no exception.

"I like (the Buckeyes)," he said. "They're pretty good, but they are about to get into a lot of trouble and I don't want to be involved in any of that."

Going forward, Thomas plans to scrutinize all of the schools under consideration for any evidence of transgressions similar to those that occurred at Ohio State.

"I want to see how the team is looking for the next year and make sure they are not getting in any trouble or anything," he said. "I want to make sure they have kids that I'm comfortable being around. Before I decide to go anywhere, I want to talk to some of the players and see how they like the coaches and everything."

Brionte Dunn factor
    One way that comfort could be enhanced is if Thomas' cousin, Canton Glen Oak five-star senior tailback Brionte Dunn, winds up at the school he picks.

"We talk about it a lot — going to the same school," said Thomas. "We thought it would be pretty cool to go to the same school and play with each other like we used to when we were young."

There's currently a major obstruction in the way of that plan, and its colors are Scarlet and Gray. Dunn is committed to Ohio State, and despite their troubles, has chosen remain steadfast in his pledge. However, Thomas believes that his cousin's commitment status could be impacted by the severity of the penalties the NCAA decides to dole out.

"Brionte doesn't know if (the Buckeyes) are going to be stripped of their bowl games," he explained. "He said he might decommit if they get stripped of any bowl games, but I can't tell anybody where he is going to go (should that happen). He told me to keep that a secret."

Michigan could be the primary option for the duo if Dunn does opt to veer away from the Buckeyes. He gave the Wolverines glowing reviews after a visit to Ann Arbor in early May. Still, he remains committed Ohio State, and there is no definite timeline in place for reaching a final verdict. The same isn't true for Thomas, who knows exactly when he would like to commit.

"I'm thinking about getting it done right after my last game of my junior year," he said.

Commited to scUM.

11W Recruiting Notebook | Eleven Warriors (free)

Bri'Onte's Impact

Getting Bri'onte Dunn to finalize his recruitment was a huge win for Urban Meyer in his quest to revamp the recruiting class of 2012. What Urban also knew, that maybe not all of you realized, is that is also gave the new coach a chance to add a good player to the class of 2013.

In a move that was definitely well thought and strategically made, Meyer offered Alliance Marlington ATH Dymonte Thomas. What does this have to do without Bri'onte Dunn, you ask? Well, Thomas, a current Michigan commit, is the cousin of Dunn and the two are very close. Thomas looks up to Dunn like a big brother and has been outspoken in the past about having a desire to play with his cousin.

Dymonte wanted things going fast early in his recruitment and when the Buckeyes weren't quick to pull the trigger on an offer earlier this year, he didn't take it well to say the least. Some close to the situation say Thomas was puzzled as to why other programs were offering him as a junior, but his home-state school was not. He visited some other programs, including Michigan, and gave a verbal commitment to Brady Hoke and the Wolverines shortly after a visit to Ann Arbor.

When word of Dymonte getting an offer broke on Tuesday, many thought this one had no legs, as he tweeted that he was all Michigan. In my opinion, that was the move of a young teenager who is still a little bitter over not getting an offer early, and that things could change moving forward. I fully expect Urban Meyer to have Bri'onte Dunn talking to his cousin about Ohio State if he is truly a target Urban wants, and I think as time continues to pass that Thomas would be more and more comfortable with the idea of donning the Scarlet and Gray over the Maize and Blue.

I am not saying Thomas will flip anytime soon or even ever. As things stand right now, he definitely is "all Michigan" and it would be tough to argue this one would change. That being said, you have all seen how good Meyer is on the recruiting trail. Give him a full year to court Thomas, coupled with Dunn whispering sweet nothings about OSU in his ear, and I think this one has the potential to change in favor of the good guys come National Signing Day 2013.