Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    Here we go with the 2013 recruiting cycle..................

Jaylon has received a verbal offer from ND

MSU has verbally offered.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...y-for-nd-visit (free)

Jaylon Smith (Bishop Luers/ Ft. Wayne, Ind.) is one of the top prospects in next year's recruiting class and he's right in Notre Dame's back yard.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound linebacker has received offers from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Michigan State. He’s also receiving interest from Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M and Cincinnati among others.

Smith camped at Notre Dame over the summer and he came away impressed with the Irish program.

"The campus is really nice and the people there seem great," he said. "The education you can get there is second to none, plus the athletics are second to none. It's a very prestigious school."

Living so close to South Bend has given Smith some knowledge of the program, and what it has to offer.

“I know it’s a very traditional school, and the people there are great,” he explained.”They’re a very holy school, and you get a great education on and off the field. I think the big thing is you’re surrounded by great people, and they’re gonna make sure you graduate.”

One of the main reasons the Indiana standout has high interest in Notre Dame, is the relationship he's built with defensive line coach Mike Elston.

"Coach Elston is cool," he said. "He tells me he likes my quickness of the edge and my ability to play the run straight up. He always makes sure he asks me how I'm doing with my grades, and he is encourages me to keep getting better."

Now the Ft. Wayne product will get to witness his first game inside Notre Dame stadium this weekend when the Irish host arch rival USC.

"I'm excited because this is the game I wanted to come see there," Smith Explained. "I think this is going to be an awesome game, and I guess it's the first night game there in over 20 years. This could be one of those classic games that people talk about for a long time."

Smith claims it's too early for any schools to be standing out, but he does know a few schools he is very interested in.

"I can't really say that any school is ahead of the another right now," he explained. "I'm very interested in all the schools that have offered me and I am open to other schools that might be offering me. I need to make sure I find what is best for me."

Smith, whose brother plays running back at Ohio State has been getting as much advice as he can from his brother about the recruiting process.

“He just tells me to watch who I talk with, and look out for fake people,” he said.

The Bishop Luers prospect says Ohio State has no advantage recruiting him because his brother plays there.

“No, not at all,” he said. “I’m going to do what is best for me, and find the school that fits what I want. I know my mom would like me to stay close to home, but once again I have to find what is best for myself.”

The coveted prospect is not sure when he'll make a decision, but knows it won't be anytime soon.

"I have no idea when I'll make a decision," he said. "I'm just going to roll with the punches and see where everything goes."

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...ose-look-at-nd (free)

Notre Dame hosted some of its top prospects in the Class of 2012 over the weekend for the first night game at Notre Dame Stadium in over two decades. The Irish coaching staff is looking to finish strongly on what is already a stellar 2012 class; but the staff is also trying to get a head start on building relationships with the top prospects in the Class of 2013.

One of the top prospects Notre Dame hosted was Jaylon Smith of Bishop Luers High School in Ft. Wayne, Ind.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound linebacker has received offers from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Michigan State. He’s also receiving interest from Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M and Cincinnati among others.

Smith performed extremely well at Notre Dame’s one-day camp in June and the coaching staff came through with an offer a couple of months later. He also enjoyed touring the campus and made it a priority to get to South Bend for a game.

“I was excited when they offered because it’s a really holy offer and it’s a top notch school all around,” he explained.

The Indiana product enjoyed the gameday atmosphere at Notre Dame.

“Even though I live close to Notre Dame, I didn’t really know a lot about them; but I can see why people really like the school,” he said. “The fans are really supportive and knowledgeable about their football and you can see that. I really like the passion of everyone involved with Notre Dame; you can tell it’s important to them.”

Brian Kelly spoke with the Bishop Luers’ standout and a select group of 2013 prospects before kickoff on Saturday night. The message Kelly had was well received by Smith.

“He was telling us to make sure that we always keep getting better and make sure we never settle for less than greatness,” he described. “He told me that I could be an impact player and help them on defense because he is looking for players to build the program his way.”

While taking in the game, Smith saw that he could be a very good fit in Bob Diaco’s 3-4 defense.

“I believe they want me as an outside linebacker who can occasionally put his hand down and rush the passer,” he stated. “I think I could definitely help them get a pass rush because it seems like they need help generating a consistent rush to the quarterback.”

The one thing that stands out to the Midwestern defender is how he could fit at Notre Dame both on and off the field.

“If football doesn’t work out, you will get a great education and a degree from there can help you get a job right out of college and that is important,” he explained. “When you play at Notre Dame, you get to play in front of sell out crowds and on national television every week so you’re always on the big stage.”

Smith is hoping to take a visit to Ohio State this coming weekend when the Buckeyes host Wisconsin. One of the reasons he is attending is not only his interest in Ohio State, but his older brother Rod is a redshirt sophomore running back for the Buckeyes. While many believe that could be an advantage for the Buckeyes, Smith is adamant in saying that isn’t true.

“I like Ohio State, but I’m going to do what is best for me,” he explained. “My mom actually really likes Notre Dame and I think she wants me close to home; but just like with my brother, that doesn’t mean they have an advantage. I have to find the best school for me.”

The visit definitely helped the Irish with Smith, but he is nowhere near trimming his list or making a decision.

“I really like Notre Dame a lot, but I have to check out all of my options and see where I belong,” said Smith. “Notre Dame will be a school I consider heavily.”

Jaylon unofficially visited the pOSU/Wisconsin game this past weekend. Said it was a great visit and had a great time.

New junior year highlights............

scUM and Iowa verbally offered.

Jaylon has added verbal offers from Florida and Minnesota.

Per steve wiltfong tweet

Arrived at @AWPSPORTS to find five star OLB Jaylon Smith decked out in a Notre Dame hoodie and Irish cap.

From everything they've been saying about this kid being an OSU kid, this would be an early surprising coup. Of course, it is early....still nice to see. This would be an great replacement in an area of dire need.
    Irish Guard - GH Division

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast