Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    Today, Scout named it's first two five-stars in the Midwest, Jalin Marshall and Shane Morris. Now we want to take a look at others who are on the cusp, and a few fellow juniors that are making noise.

The next guy in, as far as a five-star, would have been Jaylon Smith from Fort Wayne Bishop Luers. He's a fantastic athlete that I think will end up as a great edge rusher in college. He's 6'3, 220 now, but can easily carry a lot more weight.

Midland (Mich.) offensive tackle Steven Elmer has all the physical tools to be a top 50-100 national prospect. He's athletic and has a tremendous frame at 6'6, 300-lbs. What we need to see this season, is him being dominant on a consistent basis. If he does that, he'll be mentioned among the best in the country.

Ohio is always loaded, and Marlington's Dymonte Thomas, Trotwood-Madison's Cameron Burrows, and Austintown Fitch's Billy Price are three guys that I could see being considered for the top 50-100 next year. Thomas, a safety prospect, is a big hitter who can cover as well. Burrows is one of the top cover corners in the Midwest, and Price is one of the most relentless defensive linemen in his class. Of course, Ohio is always loaded and Hudson linebacker Ben Gedeon, Wayne lineman Lovell Peterson, Pickerington Central defensive end Taco Charlton and Hilliard Darby cornerback Caleb Day are among the others we hold in high regard.

In Illinois, Lemont offensive tackle Ethan Pocic, Bolingbrook quarterback/athlete Aaron Bailey, Joliet Catholic Academy running back Ty Isaac, and Maine South quarterback Matt Alviti are four guys I expect to end up very highly ranked.

Indiana is all about the defense, as Avon defensive end Elijah Daniel and Warren Central's hard hitting linebacker Tim Kimbrough are two of the state's top juniors.

In Kentucky, look no further than Trinity High School for junior talent. I think defensive end Jason Hatcher has the potential to be a top 50-100 prospect, and wide receiver James Quick is a Scout 300 candidate.

In Michigan, after Morris and Elmer, we like Detroit Catholic Central's multi-talented Wyatt Shallman, and linebackers Jon Reschke (Brother Rice) and Luke Maclean (Grand Blanc). We also will keep an eye on massive offensive tackle Riley Norman from Cadillac this year.

Of course, many juniors will emerge over the next few months, that may not be on the radar yet even. Stay tuned to Scout.com for much more on these exciting young prospects.

http://notredame.scout.com/2/1100712.html

several guys ND is in contention w/ and has already offered...would not be surprised at all to see Elmer and Pocic as top 50 5star guys next year

247sports.com's top 247 for the 2013 recruiting class..........

http://247sports.com/Recruit/Top247/2013

Rarity defines the Class of 2013 in the early stages of the cycle.

The first release of the Top247 for the Class of 2013 features two prospects with the “franchise” rating (more than 100) from 247Sports.

The franchise rating is not given every recruiting cycle. Previously, defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (who signed with South Carolina) and offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio (whos signed with Alabama) were rated 105 and 102, respectively, during the 2011 recruiting cycle. 

Defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche (Loganville, Ga./Grayson) debuts with a rating of 103, while linebacker Reuben Foster (LaGrange, Ga./Troup) makes his debut with a rating of 102.

Players like Nkemdiche, the nation’s top-ranked 2013 prospect, certainly aren’t present in every recruiting cycle. The 6-foot-5, 275-pounder, who has drawn comparisons to the late Reggie White, an all-pro, is a great blend of size and freakish athleticism.

"It has been good to coach (Nkemdiche), because he is such a great player, but also a great person,” Grayson head coach Mickey Conn said. “He is playing within our scheme at Grayson and he is doing what he is coached to do. I am proud of his humility and the player he has become. When it comes to play and workout, he puts 100 percent into it."

Conn played college football at Alabama and coaches high school football at the highest level in the state of Georgia, and says that he’s never seen an athlete like Nkemdiche on the football field.

"(Nkemdiche) is by far the best I have ever seen, and I mean he plays so hard,” Conn said. “It is so hard to get a player to play as hard as Robert does on every single play. He literally plays like his hair on fire on every single play. I have been around great players but never anybody that plays this hard and fast at his size. He just produces and that is what makes him so special and so fun to coach."

Nkemdiche has offers from all over the country. Alabama is thought to be the early frontrunner, but LSU is strong as well. He visited Alabama this past weekend unofficially for the Tide's game with LSU.

Another unique aspect of this cycle- there is another special prospect in the same state as the No. 1 prospect, one who could have been the No. 1 prospect in another recruiting cycle. Foster is the best linebacker prospect in the entire country (all classes) on the high school level. The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder has been a star since his sophomore year (he may have been the top linebacker prospect in the country even that year), has natural instincts and speed

"I didn't know how exactly fast he was until a few weeks ago when we had four touchdown lead against a team and Foster ran a kid down from 60 yards all the way across the field with a bad ankle,” Troup County head coach Charles Flowers said. “That is just a testimony to what type of player he is, others would have quit being up on a team that much, but not Reuben. That one play is what makes him special, that one play. Reuben is a leader, he is going to get it done and he is going to make everybody else get it done too on his team. He is a very likeable kid and you can count him to bust his tail for his teammates. I can't think of one single person that dislikes Reuben to be honest. Recruiting has not phased him at all. He wants to play all the time at any position I will let him."

Foster is a natural, competitive football player. At the Atlanta MVP Camp in March, a setting where many elite linebackers would simply go through the motions (it’s a position that, after all, thrives on play in pads and contact), Foster was flying around in pass defense drills, tipping passes, covering receivers and taking extra reps at various positions. In an era when love of playing the game is a legitimate question mark for many talented prospects, Foster has zero issues in that department. Certainly he's the No. 2 player in the country and a franchise prospect based on what he does in pads in game settings, but the camp performance just reinforced what Flowers (and 247Sports) already knew about his intense approach to every aspect of playing and training for the sport.

Foster had a combined 222 tackles in both his freshman and sophomore seasons at Troup and is well on his way to triple digit tackles this season.

Foster remains firm to the Crimson Tide, the team he grew up pulling for.

Top quarterback

The nation’s top quarterback prospect is Kevin Olsen (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills). Olsen is the younger brother of Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen and plays for his father at Wayne Hills High. Olsen has an excellent arm, good size and feet and operates out of a pro-style offense at the high school level.

More rarities

-No five-star prospects have been uncovered in the state of Texas so far and there’s a chance 2013 will feature no five-stars from the Lone Star State. There very well could be one or more at some point, we just haven’t seen it yet.

-No five-star prospects have been uncovered in the state of California so far. Now, there are bound to be some stars pop up in the Golden State at some point.

-There are two linebackers from the state of Indiana among the top prospects in the country in Jaylon Smith (Fort Wayne, Ind./Bishop Luers) and Tim Kimbrough (Indianapolis/Warren Central). Hardly a football powerhouse, it is rare for the Hoosier State to have one elite prospect, much less two.

As reported in Elmer's thread, ND's first and only verbal commit for the 2013 recruiting cycle (Steven Elmer) checks in at #10 overall.
    Last edited by zimmsbg78; 11-09-2011 at 08:22 AM.

http://247sports.com/Article/2013s-T...presents-47796 (free)

The Big Ten states and the Midwest region were well represented in 247Sports.com’s release of the nation’s top 247 prospects for 2013.

The top two players on the list hail from the state of Georgia in Loganville Grayson DT Robert Nkemdiche (6-5, 275) and Lagrange Troup County ILB Reuben Foster (6-1, 230). No. 3 on the list is Lake City (Fla.) Columbia OT Laremy Tunsil (6-6, 275). Foster is already committed to Alabama.

The top Midwest prospects on the list are Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers OLB Jaylon Smith (6-3, 212) at No. 4 and Middletown, Ohio, QB /athlete prospect Jalin Marshall (6-0, 190) at No. 5.

Smith, the brother of Ohio State freshman running back Rod Smith, has offers from the likes of Indiana, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue and Tennessee.

Marshall has offers already from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Illinois, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and UCLA.

In terms of verbals, three prospects from the top 247 list have already issued verbal commitments to Big Ten schools and/or Notre Dame. Notre Dame has a verbal from Michigan offensive lineman Steven Elmer (No. 10 overall), while Michigan has early commits from in-state quarterback prospect Shane Morris (No. 12) and Ohio defensive back Dymonte Thomas (No. 35). Prospects in the Class of 2013 will not sign binding letters-of-intent until February 2013.

There are 38 players from the nine-state Big Ten footprint on the initial top 247 list for 2013. That includes 18 from Ohio, six each from Michigan and Illinois, four from Pennsylvania, three from Indiana and one from Wisconsin.

Here is a state-by-state look at prospects on the list from the nine-state Big Ten region with the players’ overall rating in parentheses:

* Ohio (18 prospects) – QB/athlete Jalin Marshall (No. 5), Middletown; Cameron Burrows (No. 32), Trotwood-Madison; DB Dymonte Thomas (No. 35, Michigan verbal), Alliance Marlington; QB Malik Zaire (No. 47), Kettering Alter; OT Billy Price (No. 52), Austintown Fitch; OL Jake Butt (No. 70), Pickerington North; TE Jacob Matuska (No. 80), Columbus Bishop Hartley; RB Aregeros Turner (No. 104), Akron Copley; OLB Taco Charlton (No. 115), Pickerington Central; CB Darian Hicks (No. 130), Solon; QB Kyle Kempt (No. 170), Massillon Washington; OL Lovell Peterson (No. 174), Huber Heights Wayne; athlete prospect Michael McCray Jr. (No. 191), Trotwood-Madison; WR Shelton Gibson (No. 199), Cleveland Heights; OT Evan Lisle (No. 206), Centerville; athlete prospect Ben Gedeon (No. 211), Hudson; ILB Darrien Howard (No. 229), Dayton Chaminade-Julienne; RB Ross Douglas (No. 242), Avon.

* Michigan (6 prospects) – OT Steven Elmer (No. 10; Notre Dame verbal), Midland; QB Shane Morris (No. 12, Michigan), Warren De La Salle Collegiate; OT Riley Norman (No. 113), Cadillac; SDE Wyatt Shallman (No. 149), Novi Catholic Central; OLB Jon Reschke (No. 180), Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice; CB Jourdan Lewis (No. 218), Detroit Cass Technical;

* Illinois (6 prospects) – OT Ethan Pocic (No. 13), Lemont Township; RB Ty Isaac (No. 30), Joliet Catholic Academy; OT Kyle Bosch (No. 55), Wheaton St. Francis; QB Aaron Bailey (No. 57), Bolingbrook; WR Laquon Treadwell (No. 65), Crete-Monee; QB Matt Vlviti (No. 185), Park Ridge Maine South;

* Pennsylvania (4 prospects) – WR Robert Foster (No. 14), Monaca Center Valley; RB David Williams (No. 101), West Philadelphia Central; TE Adam Breneman (No. 161), Camp Hill Cedar Cliff Heights; OT Patrick Kugler (No. 182), Wexford North Allegheny.

* Indiana (3 prospects) – OLB Jaylon Smith (No. 4), Fort Wayne Bishop Luers; OLB Tim Kimbrough (No. 60), Indianapolis Warren Central; SDE Elijah Daniel (No. 151), Avon.

* Wisconsin (1 prospect) – Athlete prospect Austin Ramesh (No. 190), Eagle River Northland Pines.

* Iowa – None.

* Minnesota – None.

* Nebraska – None.

ESPN released their 2013 watch list.............

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...ing=&x=40&y=15

Elite juniors comment on Meyer hire (free)

Meyer has Rock Star status in the college football recruiting world, and the Buckeyes should naturally close out the class of 2012 with a bang.

In 2013, with it being a deep and talented year in Ohio, and with Meyer’s national reputation, Ohio State will likely be in the mix for the nation’s top class.

247Sports will be tracking down many of the top juniors across the country for comment.

“Big step for the Buckeyes,” five-star athlete/quarterback Jalin Marshall said on Monday morning. Ohio State has been the team to beat for him with Notre Dame providing the biggest competition. “Doesn’t change anything I see about them.”

Another five-star Ohio State is strongly in the mix for is Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers outside linebacker Jaylon Smith. Besides the Buckeyes, he's entertaining offers from Notre Dame, Michigan State, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Indiana and Purdue.

Sounds like Meyer's hiring helps Ohio State with Smith.

“Tremendously,” Smith stated. His older brother Rod is a red-shirt freshman running back/linebacker in Columbus. “He’s a great coach. He has a lot of experience. I’ve been getting in touch with my brother, and it’s cool, and he’s going to do his job wherever they put him at. I’ll be ready to go.

“I’m not sure on what decision I’m going to make, but I’m going to keep my options open,” Smith continued. “There is going to come a point where I have to figure out where I want to go.”

Bear (Del.) Red Lion Christian blue-chipper Kenny Bigelow is ranked as the nation’s No. 2 defensive tackle and No. 9 prospect overall. His early offers are from the likes of Auburn, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA and USC.

“I always liked Coach Meyer when I first started watching college football and I saw all the magic at Florida,” Bigelow said. “I would love to play for him some day."

Ohio State is one of the many programs that has an offer out to Somerville (N.J.) Immaculata defensive end Tashawn Bower.

"It puts more positive thoughts in my mind about Ohio State," Bower said. "He's obviously a great coach and will do great things for the program. I think Ohio State is a program that always excels on and off the field.

Ranked as the nation's No. 4 weak-side defensive end and No. 99 prospect overall, Bower's other scholarships are from top schools such as Florida State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Tyrone (Ga.) Sandy Creek cornerback Shaq Wiggins has Michigan as his early leader and nearly committed to the Wolverines this past Saturday on his visit to Ann Arbor. However, the nation's No. 13 player at his position and No. 171 prospect overall, reports an Ohio State offer and plans to look more into the program.

"A lot of athletes will think a second time about Ohio State," Wiggins said. "I think it's a very good move and Ohio State could be the next hot spot."

Hudson (Ohio) High four-star athlete Ben Gedeon also has Michigan as his leader over offers from Penn State, Michigan State, Boston College, Purdue and Tennessee.

“Obviously he’s a great coach and does a great job with recruiting and turning around programs,” Gedeon said. He is ranked as the nation's No. 17 athlete and No. 212 prospect overall. “I’ll definitely talk to him a little bit and probably look at Ohio State a little more than I was.”

Other top in-state juniors are equally excited, if not more.

"Ohio State will return to top power," Youngstown Fitch offensive tackle Billy Price stated. He holds offers from the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Nebraska, and checks in as the nation's No. 10 offensive tackle and No. 52 prospect overall.

"I believe that hiring Urban Meyer is a great addition to the program and it would be great to meet or even play for him," Dayton Trotwood-Madison linebacker/tight end Michael McCray said. Tabbed as the nation's No. 14 athlete and No. 191 prospect overall, the Ohio State legacy has early offers from Purdue, Syracuse and Tennessee.

"If anything, it makes me want to go there more," Huber Heights Wayne offensive lineman Lovell Peterson said. Illinois has offered the nation's No. 2 center prospect and No. 174 prospect overall.

"It makes a difference," Avon High cornerback/running back Ross Douglas said. Holding offers from Connecticut, Minnesota and Tennessee, he is ranked as the nation's No. 28 running back and No. 241 prospect overall. "Urban Meyer is one of the best coaches in the nation and my thoughts on Ohio State remain the same. Ohio State is Ohio State no matter what!"

"The Buckeyes will always be a great school no matter who the coach is, but Coach Meyer is a great coach and I think he'll definitely bring Ohio State back to its winning ways," Pickerington (Ohio) Central outside linebacker Taco Charlton said. He checks in as the nation's No. 5 player at his position and No. 115 prospect overall. Michigan currently leads for Charlton over his other offers from Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Purdue, Syracuse and UCLA.

“I think it makes the Buckeyes more appealing,” Centerville High offensive tackle Evan Lisle said. He is the country's No. 26 offensive tackle and No. 206 prospect overall. “I think that I will definitely be watching Ohio State closer.”

"My thoughts on the Buckeyes after Coach Meyer became coach at Ohio State is no different then what I had thought previous to his acceptance," Columbus Bishop Hartley tight end Jacob Matuska said. The country's No. 4 tight end and No. 80 prospect overall has early offers from Cincinnati and Toledo. "I believe that the Buckeyes are a team that has been successful and have the ability to be successful in the years to follow. Ohio State is going up and will continue to do so. I believe Coach Meyer can do great things at the Ohio State University, and I think his intentions are to do so. He is a great coach and it is a great program."

Two more of the nation's most sought after offensive lineman will also be watching Ohio State closer.

"I'm really excited about Coach Meyer accepting the job," Wheaton (Ill.) St. Francis standout Kyle Bosch said. Holding several offers from the likes of Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska and Stanford, he is the nation's No. 11 offensive tackle and No. 55 prospect overall. "I'm definitely going to take another look at Ohio State sometime this December."

"It definitely peeks my interest," Wexford (Pa.) North Allegheny's Patrick Kugler said. The country's No. 19 offensive tackle and No. 182 prospect overall, he has scholarships from several places including Florida State, Maryland, Miami, Penn State, Michigan State, Stanford, Tennessee and Virginia Tech. "They're definitely are going to have great recruiting and they're going to keep up there winning ways. I definitely have interest in Ohio State and this just helps."

Ohio State is at the top of the board for Indianapolis (Ind.) Warren Central linebacker Tim Kimbrough, who is equally excited that Luke Fickell is going to remain on the Buckeyes staff. Kimbrough is the country's No. 3 inside linebacker and No. 60 prospect overall, with offers from Cincinnati, North Carolina and Purdue.

"They're going to be great now," Kimbrough said. "I think it would be really exciting to play for him because he always wins championships wherever he goes."
    ND/pOSU recruiting battles have become a little more difficult...............

As those of us who have followed recruiting for a while know Urban will say and do what ever necessary to get recruits. Every time they win a recruit or a football game it will just piss me off.

Meyer at OSU could be a recipe for disaster.

One part, crazy devoted fans who think its ok to do favors for the players, NCAA rules be damn.
    They did it for Tressels team, they will do the same for Meyers team.

Add to that the history of Meyers players behavior.
    See Florida players arrest records.

Mix in the fact the OSU in already on the NCAA bad boy list.

Place in pressure cooker of expectation to win.

I think the expectation to win at OSU will be the greatest Meyer has ever had to face, I wonder if his health or morals (if he has any) go first.

Core 6 Showcase rundown (free)

WESTMONT, Ill. – Many of the state of Illinois’ top football prospects took part in the second annual Core 6 Winter Showcase, held on Monday afternoon at the Westmont Yard Indoor Sports Complex.

MVPs

Blue-chip juniors, Joliet (Ill.) Catholic running back Ty Isaac and Lemont (Ill.) High offensive tackle Ethan Pocic, and their rising classmate in Harvey (Ill.) Thornton Township safety Jalen Banks, were the three outstanding performers of the day.

Ranked as the nation’s No. 4 running back and No. 28 prospect overall, Isaac looked the part standing in at roughly 6-foot-2, 215-pounds, and showed elite-level burst and quickness with the football while also running precise routes. Having rushed for a school-record 2,629 yards and 51 touchdowns this past fall, Isaac was very impressive with the football in making moves in tight spaces. He is a slippery, powerful back with good balance, that can do as much damage in between the tackles as he can running on the perimeter. Isaac has reliable hands, is smooth out of his breaks, and will arrive at whatever school he chooses physically ready to play. Isaac just visited Michigan this past weekend and says he’ll likely get to Notre Dame and Ohio State in the near future. Each program has offered.

Pocic was all of 6-foot-7, 280-pounds, with outstanding footwork. He was moving through cone drills faster than all the tight ends. As nimble as Pocic is, the nation’s No. 3 offensive tackle and No. 13 prospect overall is just as aggressive as a run blocker. He was a force during one-on-ones, and he also has a quick, good, fast kick-step when pass blocking. Pocic moves very well laterally and plays fundamentally sound. His last visit was to Wisconsin, and he says in the spring he’d like to visit Nebraska, Michigan, Notre Dame, Iowa, Ohio State and get back to the Badgers campus. Every program mentioned has extended a scholarship.

Taking home defensive MVP honors was the 6-foot, 190-pound Banks, who was strong in press coverage, and when in zone, gets to the football quickly. He played physical on Monday, and has good hips and strong instincts for the game. Northwestern and Western Michigan have offered, and Michigan State, Wisconsin and Bowling Green have invited him to upcoming junior days. The Wildcats have impressed early and so far Northwestern’s campus is the only one Banks has visited.

Offensive line was loaded

-Ranked as the nation’s No. 7 offensive tackle and No. 38 prospect overall, Peoria (Ill.) Manuel offensive tackle Logan Tuley-Tillman has the size and length you’re looking for in an elite offensive tackle. He showed well in one-on-ones as an aggressive blocker that finishes his blocks. He has taken three recent trips to Michigan and arrived wearing a Wolverines windbreaker. He was at Ohio State this past weekend and will make his next visit to Alabama on Jan. 28. Tuley-Tillman added that he will look to visit Arkansas, Florida State and USC after that.

-Besides Pocic, New Lenox (Ill.) Lincoln Way West junior offensive tackle Colin McGovern was the most polished offensive linemen in attendance. He holds an early offer from Northwestern and plans to visit the Wildcats campus on Friday. He also says he’ll visit Michigan soon and that Illinois and Michigan State have increased the interest.

-Other offensive linemen that impressed included Nick Severs, Blake King, Kendall Moore, Tyler Lancaster and Austin Rosenfeld. All will need to bulk up for the next level, but showed strong during 1-on-1s as athletic players in the trenches.

Other offensive standouts

-Peoria (Ill.) Richwoods running back Kendrick Foster has been a big-time varsity player for the last two seasons. The 5-foot-8, 180-pound junior looks great on the hoof and has a lot of wiggle. Outside of Isaac, he was the top back in attendance. Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern are among the programs showing early interest.

-Lincolnshire (Ill.) Stevenson freshman receiver Cameron Green was the most consistent pass catcher of the day, and has the look of a future high-end BCS prospect.

Up and comers on defense

-It was all about the young bucks on defense. Hinsdale (Ill.) Central sophomore Brian Allen picked up an offer from Michigan State just before arriving. He is the younger brother of Spartan freshman center Jack Allen. Iowa has also offered the 6-foot-2, 260-pound Allen, who likely projects as an interior offensive linemen on the next level, but was a quick, explosive defensive tackle on this day. Sophomore Nick Dillon of Lincolnshire (Ill.) Stevenson also had a strong showing.

-Sophomore linebackers Clifton Garrett of Plainfield (Ill.) High and Nyles Morgan of Crete (Ill.) Monee are BCS prospects already hearing from several schools. Garrett says Penn State and West Virginia have been in touch, while Morgan says he’s talked to Illinois, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska and Minnesota. Both are fluid prospects that showed good athleticism during cone drills and coverage drills.

-The top juniors in attendance were Romeoville linebacker Caleb Bailey, who already holds an offer from Toledo and Khairi Bailey from Morgan Park, a raw defensive end that displayed a couple nifty pass-rushing moves during 1-on-1s.

Class of 2013 All-American Team (free)

The Class of 2013 All-American Team from 247Sports features the nation’s top overall prospect, defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche, the Defensive Player of the Year who made his debut in the Top247 with a franchise rating of 103.

Quarterback Max Browne is the Offensive Player of the Year. The tall passer threw for more than 4,000 yards during his junior season and is currently rated as the top quarterback prospect in the country for the 2013 class by 247Sports.

The All-American team, which is selected based not only on prospect upside (which is what guides the 247Sports rankings), but on-field production during the 2011 season, features five prospects from the state of Georgia. It’s an unprecedented year for talent in the Peach State during the next cycle. There are also three selections from Florida, and two each from Illinois, North Carolina and Virginia. Alabama, California, Delaware, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Washington have one selection each.

Only five of the 10 prospects currently rated as five stars by 247Sports were selected for the team, again underscoring the difference between the All-American team and the prospect rankings.

Quarterback

Max Browne
    , Sammamish (Wash.) Skyline

The nation’s top junior quarterback prospect has picked up where former Skyline quarterback Jake Heaps left off leading the Spartans to a record over the last two seasons and a state championship in 2011. Browne completed 70 percent of his passes for over 4,000 yards and 45 touchdowns and threw just seven interceptions. Recruiting buzz: Has early offers from Cal, Washington, Wisconsin, Clemson and Utah

Running Back

Tyren Jones, Marietta (Ga.) Walton

Perhaps no offensive prospect in the state of Georgia had a bigger coming out party this season than Jones. The four-star all-purpose back ran for 2,375 yards and scored 45 touchdowns propelling Walton to a 14-1 record and Class 5A state title game appearance. Recruiting buzz: Early offers from Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma State and Vanderbilt

Ty Isaac, Joliet (Ill.) Catholic

Isaac had a huge year for Joliet Catholic, rushing for 2,629 yards and scoring 49 all-purpose touchdowns. The four-star prospect saved his best performance for the 5A state championship game, running for a record 515 yards and six touchdowns. Recruiting buzz: Has more than 15 offers including Michigan, Notre Dame, Illinois

Wide Receiver

James Quick, Louisville (Ky.) Trinity Catholic

Quick is the top prospect in a Trinity program that ended the season as one of the best high school teams in the country. The four-star speedster had an outstanding year for the Shamrocks, recording 82 catches for 1,434 yards and 21 touchdowns. Recruiting buzz: Quick is approaching double digit offers. Alabama, Michigan, Louisville, Kentucky and Notre Dame are among the early suitors.

MarQuez North, Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek

North played a big role in Mallard Creek’s 13-1 record in his first year with the program. The big wideout accounted for over 1,000 yards and 19 touchdowns on just 39 receptions. He also ran for over 400 yards and four touchdowns in addition to scoring four touchdowns on returns. Recruiting buzz: Clemson, Ohio State, Duke and North Carolina all have offered early.

Tight End

Adam Breneman, Camp Hill (Pa.) Cedar Cliff

Breneman, who may be the best tight end prospect in the nation regardless of class, backed up his lofty status with 72 catches for 1,220 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior. Recruiting buzz: Breneman has close to 30 offers. Watch out for Penn State here. He’s a lifelong Nittany Lions fan and attends the same high school as former PSU tight end Kyle Brady.

Offensive Line

Laremy Tunsil, Lake City (Fla.) Columbia

Tunsil, who ranks as the top junior offensive lineman and third prospect overall, was named first team all-state in Class 6A by the Associated Press. Recruiting buzz: Tunsil has offers from most of the major schools across the country, including Florida, Florida State and Miami (Fla.) in-state.

Steven Elmer, Midland (Mich.)

The nation’s second best 2013 offensive tackle prospect was named to the 2011 Detroit Free Press All-Class All-State Dream Team. Elmer was also named to the Saginaw Valley League First Team All-Conference in 2011. Recruiting Buzz: Committed to Notre Dame

Tyrone Crowder, Rockingham (N.C.) Richmond Senior

The nation’s second-ranked offensive guard in the 2013 cycle was a monster in the run game for Richmond, en route to earning honorable mention all-state honors. Recruiting buzz: Crowder is originally from South Carolina and Clemson and the Gamecocks join many of the other schools that recruit the Carolinas in offering.

Ethan Pocic, Lemont (Ill.) Lemont Township

Pocic was named to the Chicago Tribune’s all-state team as a junior, paving the way for a rushing game that totaled over 2,800 yards. Recruiting buzz: Pocic is close to 20 offers with Notre Dame and Wisconsin in good shape early.

Jake Raulerson, Celina (Texas)

Raulerson was second team all-state selection in Class 3A by the Associated Press. Recruiting buzz: Raulerson has more than 25 total offers. Texas could emerge as the team to beat in the near future.

Defensive Line

Robert Nkemdiche, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson

The nation’s top prospect, regardless of class, lived up to the billing in 2011, leading Grayson to a perfect record and 5A state championship. Nkemdiche finished the year with 36 tackles for a loss and 18 sacks while also running for 528 yards and 17 touchdowns. Recruiting buzz: Alabama and LSU are the early leaders.

Jonathan Allen, Ashburn (Va.) Stone Bridge

The rangy edge rusher continued to star for one of Virginia’s stronger programs, tallying 102 tackles, 15 sacks, and seven blocked kicks. Recruiting buzz: Allen has offers from most of the top East Coast programs, including Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Dee Liner, Muscle Shoals (Ala.)

Alabama’s top-rated 2013 prospect followed a very productive sophomore season with an even better junior campaign, recording 83 tackles, 17 sacks, five forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries. Recruiting buzz: Committed to Auburn

Kenny Bigelow, Bear (Del.) Red Lion Christian Academy

Bigelow, who ranks as the nation’s 11th-best 2013 prospect, totaled 15 sacks from his defensive tackle position. More impressively, he did so while playing a difficult schedule that featured teams from five different states. Recruiting buzz: Committed to USC

Linebacker

Reuben Foster, LaGrange (Ga.) Troup County

The nation’s second-best junior prospect continued to dominate the competition in West Georgia, totaling 185 tackles, 32 tackles for a loss, and 18 sacks from his middle linebacker position. Recruiting buzz: Committed to Alabama

Su’a Cravens, Murrieta (Calif.) Vista Murrieta

The Los Angeles Times’ player of the year starred on both sides of the ball for the CIF Inland Division champions. On offense, Cravens rushed for 673 yards and 15 touchdowns adding four receiving touchdowns. The four-star safety/linebacker had 96 tackles, 11 sacks, and three interceptions on defense. Recruiting buzz: Cravens has offers from most of the country’s top programs. Oklahoma and USC are in good shape early.

E.J. Levenberry, Woodbridge (Va.) Hylton

The nation’s number two 2013 inside linebacker had a big first year at Hylton after transferring from Dematha. Levenberry finished the season with 151 tackles, four sacks, three interceptions, and eight forced fumbles for the 11-1 Bulldawgs. Recruiting buzz: Levenberry is approaching double-digit offers with Michigan and Ohio State jumping in recently. Florida State is a player early.

Defensive Back

Cornelius Elder, Nashville (Tenn.) Ensworth

The state of Tennessee’s top junior rushed for over 2,000 yards and 22 touchdowns on 205 carries, while picking off five passes as a safety. Recruiting buzz: Tennessee, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and North Carolina are among Elder’s early offers.

Will Likely, Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central

Likely accomplished the rare feat of being named Florida’s Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior. The four-star prospect accounted for 1,175 yards and 20 touchdowns, while also picking off five passes for 12-1 Glades Central. Recruiting buzz: Alabama, Florida State, LSU, Miami (Fla.) and others are showing early interest.

Antonio Conner, Batesville (Miss.) South Panola

Conner showed why he’s next in line at Mississippi’s most heralded high school program rushing for 1,472 yards and 22 touchdowns while recording 23 tackles, two interceptions, and two touchdowns on returns. Recruiting buzz: Most of the SEC, including LSU, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, has offered Conner.

Marcell Harris, Groveland (Fla.) South Lake

Harris was all over the field for South Lake as a junior, racking up 92 tackles, three interceptions, four forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and five blocked kicks. Recruiting buzz: Harris’ dad played at Florida and the Gators have offered, along with Florida State and most recently LSU and South Carolina.

Athlete

Derrick Henry, Yulee (Fla.)

Henry became the first 2013 five-star to commit when he pledged to the Bulldogs over the summer. The Jacksonville area native topped 2,600 yards and 30 touchdowns for the second consecutive year, rushing for 2,610 and 33 scores. Recruiting buzz: Committed to Georgia

Jalin Marshall, Middletown (Ohio)

The electric five-star athlete lined up as a dual threat quarterback for Middletown, and rushed for 1,972 yards and 20 touchdowns. Recruiting buzz: Ohio State is the early favorite.

Kicker

Harrison Butker, Atlanta (Ga.) Westminster

Butker showed impressive leg strength as a junior, making 16-17 field goal attempts with nine being from 40 yards or more. Recruiting buzz: Auburn and Boston College have offered. Expect more soon.

Punter

Brice Ramsey, Kingsland (Ga.) Camden County

While not a punter first, Ramsey averaged over 40 yards per punt and placed 60-79 kickoffs in the endzone for a touchback. The four-star quarterback was also efficient under center for the 12-1 Wildcats, passing for 1,308 yards, 17 touchdowns, and only two interceptions. Recruiting buzz: committed to Georgia

Recruiting: An early look at class of 2013 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Top 5 Prospects in Michigan for 2013, (with an MSU bias).

Recruiting: An early look at class of 2013

With the class of 2012 set to make their college choices official Wednesday on national signing day, let's look at the top recruits in the state of Michigan for the class of 2013. It is already starting to look like it will be a solid year for local talent, especially on the offensive line.

1. Midland offensive tackle Steve Elmer

The 6-foot-6, 305-pounder is the best offensive line prospect in Michigan in quite some time. Elmer wowed college coaches at several camps this past summer. I thought he was the best offensive line prospect at the Michigan State summer camp despite being a year younger than almost all of the other prospects. Elmer picked up early scholarship offers from Michigan State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Stanford. He decided to end the process early and committed to the Fighting Irish last fall.

2. Warren De La Salle quarterback Shane Morris

Morris is the best quarterback in Michigan since Keith Nichol in 2007. The 6-3, 183-pounder has one of the strongest arms in the nation and has exceptional mechanics to go with it. Morris shined on the camp circuit last summer and will certainly be an Elite 11 quarterback this summer. U-M, MSU, Cincinnati and several other teams offered early. Morris made an early decision and committed to U-M in May.

3. Novi Detroit Catholic Central's Wyatt Shallman

The 6-3 255-pound Shallman is one of the most interesting prospects in the nation for the class of 2013 because despite his massive size, several colleges want him as a running back. Shallman could be the only prospect in the nation that will be recruited for either defensive end or running back. MSU, U-M, Cincinnati and Syracuse have all offered him a scholarship. Shallman has already been to Ann Arbor and East Lansing on several unofficial recruiting visits.

4. Birmingham Brother Rice linebacker Jon Reschke

MSU has the 6-2, 225-pound Reschke high on its board for 2013. He compares favorably to current All-Big Ten linebacker Max Bullough. In fact, the Spartans view Reschke as having a chance to chart the same path Bullough did when he came to MSU and followed All-American Greg Jones. Reschke already has an MSU offer and U-M, Ohios State and Northwestern are all in frequent contact with him. Reschke’s father played for the Spartans in the early 1980’s.

5. Cadillac offensive tackle Riley Norman

At 6-7 and 315 pounds, Norman is a mountain of a recruit. MSU will be in desperate need of offensive tackles in the class of 2013 and they have already offered Norman a scholarship. He is still raw in his development, but his potential is as good as anyone in the nation at that position. What makes Norman unique is that he is both athletic and powerful for someone his size. He actually runs multiple events in track and could break former Spartan T.J Duckett’s high school record in the shot put.

2013: QB & RB Recruiting (free)

With the class of 2012 winding down the time to discuss the class of 2013 draws near. While not a full analysis like there will be after February 1, here's an overview of 2013 quarterback and running back needs with several likely prime recruiting targets included.

Barring something unforeseen, Notre Dame will finish the class of 2012 with seventeen to nineteen signees. Eighteen will be the barometer for this discussion, and that means keeping the current seventeen commitments and adding one more prospect (Anthony Standifer being the most likely). Overall, the projected number of recruits for the class of 2013 could vary from fifteen to twenty, largely depending on which fifth-year candidates decide to return to South Bend instead of entering the 2013 NFL Draft: Cierre Wood, Zach Martin, and Tyler Eifert. As a guess, Notre Dame should sign seventeen or eighteen prospects again next February (Irish fans should not expect any of the three aforementioned players to return for a fifth-year). Of course, the normal attrition will cause more roster spots to open up due to career ending injuries, transfers, etc.

Note: The prospects listed below may or may not hold an offer from Notre Dame today, and of course that could change; some of the recruits listed below fit the profile for what Notre Dame targeted during the past two recruiting cycles, but who knows, any number of the recruits may not receive any interest from Notre Dame, i.e. much speculation with regards to the class of 2013 targets. The order of recruits mentioned should be considered random and nothing more.

Quarterback: Notre Dame did a tremendous job over the course of the past two seasons with Everett Golson and Gunner Kiel joining the fold. Signing another signal caller will be tricky, at least from an initial expectation standpoint, because of the impending quarterback battle that will take place this upcoming March and April during spring practice. Depending on how Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly handles the situation, one or more of the current quarterbacks could transfer after spring practice if he/they feel that playing time/a starting position will not be realistic. Trying to predict this outcome proves foolish at this time. Thus, the projected number of quarterbacks that a class of 2013 quarterback prospect will be expected to compete with, for this report, will be the three current quarterbacks on the roster plus Kiel.

Need: 0-1.

Kohl Stewart, 6-3, 185, Houston, TX (St. Pius)
    Asiantii Woulard, 6-4, 205, Winter Park, FL
    Matt Alviti, 6-0, 180, Park Ridge, IL (Maine South)
    Darryl Richardson, 6-5, 230, Seffner, FL (Armwood)
    Tyrone Swoopes, 6-5, 220, Whitewright, TX
    Aaron Bailey, 6-2, 200, Bolingbrook, IL
    Cord Sandberg, 6-3, 205, Bradenton, FL (Manatee)
    Riley Ferguston, 6-2, 190, Matthews, NC (Butler)

Running Back: The running back position will be hard to judge as well. Will any of the current running backs or KeiVarae Russell move to another position? Only the players and coaches know the answers to those questions, if anyone. The top target will be a particular Joliet (Catholic) phenom, and not just because he's a great player. If Notre Dame is not the college destination, Ann Arbor very well could be. That's no good. Several other intriguing 2013 prospects could find themselves in Blue & Gold as well.

Need: 1-2

A.J. Turman, 6-0, 200, Orlando, FL (Boone)
    Greg Bryant, 5-11, 195, Delray Beach, FL (American Heritage)

Keith Ford, 5-11, 205, Cypress, TX (Cypress Ranch)
    Lorenzo Woodley, 6-0, 210, Miami, FL (Columbus)
    Ty Isaac, 6-2, 220, Joliet, IL (Catholic)
    Tarean Folston, 5-11, 185, Cocoa, FL
    Tyshon Dye, 6-0, 200, Elberton, GA (Elbert County)
    Keyante Green, 5-9, 180, McDonough, GA (Eagle's Landing Christian)
    Ryan Green, 5-10, 195, St. Petersburg, FL (Catholic)
    David Williams, 6-0, 180, Philadelphia, PA (West Catholic)
    Gerald Holmes, 6-0, 205, Flint, MI (Carman Ainsworth)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast