Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    Five-star Browne has it all (free)

Max Browne suggests the joke with his high school coaching staff is that he’s so engulfed in football and details, he can recite the names of all 22 starters from when his brother led Skyline (Wash.) High School to a state title in 2000 – several of which are staff assistants.

“It’s like your little trick,” Browne said.

Yes, except it shouldn’t necessarily qualify as a joke. Browne can indeed rattle them off.

So to be accurate, it’s more a peculiar talent.

Which may just be the apt description for 247Sports’ Class of 2013 Offensive Player of the Year. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound quarterback is supremely talented, exemplified through his rare blend of coveted size, strong arm and impressive accuracy.

Browne is one of 10 prospects in next year’s class to have already earned five-star designation from 247Sports. The Sammamish, Wash., resident is ranked No. 6 overall in the Top247 and the top quarterback, carrying a 98 rating.

“He has really got it all – size, production, strength – from all those things you look for on the surface of a quarterback, Max Browne’s got it,” 247Sports national analyst Barton Simmons said. “He’s athletic and plays basketball, too. And he can make all the throws. He’s not just a kid who’s going to chuck deep balls or just dink-and-dunk you. He can make throws outside the pocket, he can make throws with the rush coming.

“We’re anxious to watch him develop over the next year because the initial returns make us think he has the chance to be one of the elite quarterbacks we’ve seen in several years.”

Six schools have offered Browne: California, Washington, Wisconsin, Colorado, Clemson and Utah.

That list will expand exponentially as elite programs visit, scout film or merely measure their chances. Oklahoma has been by Skyline during the recent contact period. Stanford plans to return soon, and UCLA, California and Washington State are expected among the visitors as well.

Skyline uses a shotgun, four-wide offense that certainly gives Browne plenty of opportunities to showcase his skills.

As a junior, Browne threw for 4,031 yards, 45 touchdowns (to seven interceptions) and completed 70 percent of his passes in leading the Spartans to the 4A state championship.

As a sophomore in his first year as starter, the numbers were nearly identical: 4,182 passing yards, 68.3 completion percentage, 50 touchdowns, 13 interceptions.

“I’m not necessarily going to beat Mike Vick in a 40-yard dash, and while I feel like my feet are good, I can work on that,” Browne said. “I want to be more consistent on every throw I make. I want to make sure every throw I make in the pocket, I gather my feet and make sure my shoulders are even. I know when I’m going to throw a bad ball because it doesn’t come out of my hand right. I’ve played a lot and see a lot already, so it’s about fine-tuning my mechanics and making sure I’m a good leader this offseason.”

The toughest part in evaluating Browne may simply be avoiding the convenience of profiling him on pedigree alone.

It has somehow been more than two decades since another tall, strong-armed pocket passer – eventual No. 1 NFL pick Drew Bledsoe – emerged from another Washington town 100 miles east. He’s drawn comparisons to the West Coast’s latest pro-style star, USC’s Matt Barkeley.

Browne trains in the offseason with former Washington Huskies standout Taylor Barton. His predecessor at Skyline is Jake Heaps, who transferred to Kansas this month after being displaced as BYU’s starter last season.

The latter two have invariably impacted Browne in some measure.

But the greater motivational influence appears to be that of being the youngest of four brothers.

His oldest brother, Mitch, who had an accomplished career in leading Skyline to the aforementioned state championship in 2000.

There seems to be no shortage of stories about Max’s fortitude being shaped by the will to keep up with his older brothers – Mitch, 29; Marcus, 26; and Michael, 23 -- in athletic ventures.

“When I was younger and went to my brothers’ games, my parents wouldn’t let me bring any friends because I was the only one who could sit still,” Browne said. “They’d make me take naps after school so I’d be able to stay up that night for his games. My brothers are still the biggest influences on my life today, and I thank them for it.

“My biggest motivation was always being the Skyline quarterback. I always dreamed of being Peyton Manning and that kind of stuff, but what I really wanted was to be my like brother when I was 16, 17.”

This Washington apple hasn’t fallen far from his quarterback tree.

Rather, it looks the shiniest in its crop.

Elite 11 Watch: Skyline star Max Browne - ESPNHS Football - ESPNHS (free)

Throughout this offseason, we’ll spotlight Class of 2013 quarterbacks who have a shot at making the Elite 11 finals in July. This week we profile Skyline (Sammamish, Wash.) standout Max Browne.

Elite 11 Watch Archive

Skyline (Sammamish, Wash.) junior Max Browne prides himself on being a cerebral quarterback. As the conductor of the Spartans’ no-huddle aerial attack, the junior’s brain must act like a microprocessor, calling plays at the line, evaluating what scheme the defense is in and whether to audible — all at a feverish pace.

The ESPNHS Underclass All-American was masterful under center this past fall, completing better than 70 percent of his passes and tossing 43 TDs to lead the Spartans to the Class 4A crown. Browne’s success and poise in that demanding role has led some scouts to compare him to Peyton Manning.

But Browne would be fine just reaching the level of his predecessor, Jake Heaps, an Elite 11 alum now at Kansas who captured multiple state crowns at Skyline.

“We’re similar in our ability to command the offense,” says Browne. “He started the championship streak at Skyline, and I’m kind of continuing it.”

Browne took another step toward matching Heaps, wowing scouts with his downfield accuracy and ability to complete a variety of throws at last spring’s Elite 11 Regional at Stanford. He is hopeful an invite to the finals will kick off his final season on the gridiron.

ESPNHS: What was the environment like at last year’s Elite 11 Regional at Stanford?
    Browne: At that event, you really see that there are a lot of good quarterbacks on the West Coast. Those guys had good accuracy and arm strength, so you have to bring your “A” game. And the coaches were top notch. There’s a lot of good competition and everyone wants to be on the Elite 11 Finals show.

ESPNHS: What did you learn at Regionals that helped you on the field last season?
    Browne: Just when I roll out to keep my shoulders level and to make sure I point my toes where the receiver is going to be. I got away with that stuff at times as a sophomore, but I won’t be able to at the next level.

ESPNHS: What would it mean to you to be selected to the Elite 11 Finals?
    Browne: It would be a huge honor to know I’m one of the best QBs in the nation. Ever since I was in middle school, I used to watch Elite 11 stuff, and there’s so many NFL guys that have been there.

ESPNHS: Washington all-state QB Jeff Lindquist competed in the finals last year. Did he offer you any advice on how to succeed there?
    Browne: He said to make sure you know your playbook. You should know it in and out. He also just told me to play my game. Make sure I do it my way.

ESPNHS: What changes did you see in your game in 2011?
    Browne: I had better command of the offense and I didn’t let my team get rattled. I was a better leader and my team rallied around me.

ESPNHS: Skyline has a tradition of winning and a growing number of haters. Do opposing players talk trash to you?
    Browne: Oh, yeah. Kids know all about Skyline. We don’t lose to a whole lot of teams, but if we do they let us know. This one kid posted on Facebook said, “Max, I’m coming for you.” He got a couple licks on me in the game, but I still completed the throws.

ESPNHS: It seems like every season either Skyline or Bellevue is ranked in the POWERADE FAB 50. Which team really runs Washington?
    Browne: Even though they beat us this year, Skyline runs football in Washington. They play in Class 3A and that’s a lower division. We have a harder road to state each year. After we both won state titles this year, people joked we should’ve had a rematch. The way we played at the end of the year, we could’ve beaten anyone.

MAX BROWNE
    School: Skyline (Samammish, Wash.)
    Position: QB
    Ht/Wt: 6-5/208
    2011 Team Record: 11-3 (Won Class 4A state title)

2011 Stats
    Passing yards: 4,034
    Passing TDs: 45
    INTs: 7

Max plans to make his college announcement on Wednesday (April 4th). U$C is the definite favorite here. Max recently unofficially visited U$C for three straight days.

Decision day for nation's No. 1 QB (free)

The theater at Skyline High School in Sammamish, Wash., will be the stage for some of the most relevant drama in the 2013 recruiting cycle.

That’s where Max Browne, the nation’s top-ranked quarterback and No. 5 prospect overall for 247Sports, will make his college declaration tonight.

Browne is set to announce at 8 p.m. (Pacific) between a stated final four of Alabama, Washington, Southern California and Oklahoma.

“I just thought now was the right time because I wanted the ability to build a recruiting class around me and start to focus on my senior year of football,” Browne told 247Sports on Tuesday night.

Smart money figures to have Browne selecting USC, where the 6-foot-5, 210-pounder spent three full days over the weekend.

Browne would be in line as the heir apparent to heralded Matt Barkley and, perhaps as important in his decision, have a climate where he would be able to fit in more comfortably as a student.

Oklahoma would appear the next-likeliest destination, based on the timing of Browne’s campus visit March 10. Browne was scheduled to visit Alabama this week.

For any of the four parties, Browne’s pledge would represent a boon for their class’ profile.

Over two seasons as Skyline’s starter, Browne has thrown for 8,216 yards and 95 touchdowns, posting 4,034 yards and 45 scores in leading the Spartans to last season’s 4A championship.

Because of his profile, Skyline will have a pair of out-of-state match-ups next season against fellow quarterback recruits: Cottonwood (Utah)’s Cooper Bateman and Manatee (Fla.)’s Cord Sandberg.

As for building a supporting cast, it is interesting to note that USC enters the day ranked with the nation’s No. 33 class, having collected its second commitment last weekend from four-star safety Chris Hawkins. Oklahoma, for that matter, is ranked No. 27, with Alabama at No. 5 and Washington at No. 35.

If Browne is the next Jake Heaps we should hope he does pick USC.

Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    If Browne is the next Jake Heaps we should hope he does pick USC.
    I'll second that. It's a forgone conclusion that Max will announce for U$C....

Senior Member Purebred Irishman's Avatar
    SUC it is....
    All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract themfrom achieving their aims.

- Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame football coach

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

By Bryan Fischer Nov 1, 2016, 7:01 PM CDT
    Need a quarterback in 2017? Feel free to contact USC’s Max Browne

Are you a team that might have a glaring hole at quarterback and want to turn to a veteran option instead of an untested freshman? Well it just might be your lucky day.

As first reported by USCFootball.com and later confirmed by the school, USC has signed quarterback Max Browne’s permission-to-contact paperwork — allowing him to talk with any NCAA school about a transfer after the season.

A redshirt freshman who has already graduated and would have a year to play without having to sit out, Browne is a former five-star recruit out of high school who started the Trojans’ first three games in 2016. With the team struggling to a 1-2 record, he eventually lost the job to redshirt freshman signal-caller Sam Darnold and has played very sparingly since a loss to Stanford.

Browne’s numbers on the season are not bad as he’s completed 64 percent of his passes for 507 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. At 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, he’s a strong-armed pro-style quarterback who can certainly throw the ball but is limited in terms of mobility.

While Browne is currently the team’s backup, he has given every indication that a transfer will happen after USC’s season (likely in December) and the coaching staff has been understanding with the matter and do not appear to be blocking any destinations. While a Pac-12 school is all but out of the running for the services of the quarterback, he could be a coveted free agent (so to speak) for any team needing some experience at the most important position on the field.

How has he already graduated but is a R-FR?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast