Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

'12 VA LB Ken Ekanem (Verbal Offer/ Va. Tech LOI)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Outside Linebacker
    Clifton, Virginia
    Centreville

Links of Interest:
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/fo...-Ekanem-110373

Height:6'3"
    Weight:226
    40:4.83 secs
    Class:2012 (High School)

Multimedia
    Rivals Video of Ken Ekanem
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recrui...8MyN4icQgh7qB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recrui...QopsjtBE0h7qB4

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FMi8PkcWZU&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Ken currently holds verbal offers from Boston College, Duke, Maryland scUM, MSU, Pitt, Rutgers, UCF, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Virginia Tech and Wake Forest. Receiving interest from ND, OU, UNC, North Carolina State. Ken was visited by coach Molnar on Monday at his school. Molnar saw Ken's video on youtube and decided to pay him a visit.

Ken has unofficially visited Maryland and Virginia last year in the fall for games. He has also unofficially visited Virginia Tech and Penn State for their spring games. He currently plays in a 3-4 defensive scheme and prefers to play that in college.

Ken called ND "the most historical school ever and he loves the 3-4 defensive scheme." Sophmore year stats were, 75 tackles, 17 sacks and 4 touchdowns.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...all-recruiting

Defensive end Ken Ekanem (Clifton, Va./Centreville) is already sitting on some quality offers from around the nation, but hopes to have plenty more soon.

Programs like Boston College, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Virginia and Virginia Tech have already thrown their hat in the ring for the 6-foot-4, 240-pound prospect and recently some of the heavy hitters he has been waiting on have started contacting his coach, much to his delight.

“I have 13 offers right now,” said Ekanem. “I would have to say that my biggest offer at this time is the one I just got from Oregon. I've also heard from Notre Dame last week when they stopped by my school. Coach (Charley) Molnar was in my coach's office and just wanted to see what I looked like. He told my coach he saw my highlights on YouTube and that they were very interested in me.”

According to B&G, ND has verbally offered.

Clifton, Va. (Centreville) linebacker Ken Ekanem was pretty surprised when Notre Dame offensive coordinator Charlie Molnar stopped by his school two weeks ago to talk to his coach. He really hadn't heard too much from the Irish, so Ekanem was definitely happy to see they were interested in him. He just didn't realize how interested until two days ago.

“Coach (Charley) Molnar stopped by my school again last Friday to talk to my coach,” said Ekanem. “It was definitely a great visit because Notre Dame offered me.

“He told my coach that they like to offer people only after they've been on Notre Dame's campus and shook hands with Brian Kelly. Coach Haddock told him that I was planning on taking an official visit there if they offered me and I guess when he heard that he said, ‘In that case, we are going to offer him.’

“Needless to say, I was pretty happy when my coach told me.”

With over 15 offers from schools like Boston College, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Syracuse and now Notre Dame, the 6-foot-3, 240-pound linebacker prospect feels very blessed.

Even though he is having a lot of success in the recruiting process, he knows it's all for nothing if he doesn't keep this competitive edge and continue to improve.

“We don't get to have spring ball here in Virginia, so I've just been working with a trainer,” said the Centreville star. “He has me working hard four times a week and even though it gets rough sometimes, I know it's going to be worth it in the end. It prepares me physically and also mentally.”

What does the four-star linebacker think about the Irish?

“It's definitely a big school to have an offer from,” claimed the Virginia standout. “I know they're one of the most historical schools out there and it would really be an honor to play for them. I'm thinking about visiting there later this season because I'd really like to see a game. I've heard nothing but good things about them, so a visit there should be exciting"

UNC has verbally offered.

Banned
    Top 9; Michigan State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh, Oregon and Notre Dame

It came as no surprise to see Notre Dame included among Ken Ekanem’s final nine. The Irish are clearly a program that is sticking out to the linebacker/defensive end from Clifton, Va., (Centreville High School).

The Irish join Michigan State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh and Oregon on Ekanem’s final list. Centreville head coach Chris Haddock has been impressed with the way Ekanem has handled his recruitment up to this point.

“He’s had a good head on shoulders about the whole process,” said Haddock. “I think probably as the season progresses, he’s going to cut it down to his five visits. I think he has a couple visits in mind already. He’s focused on having a good senior season and we have a good chance of having a pretty good team.”

Last year was Haddock’s first at Centreville and he helped the Wildcats to eight straight wins to start the season, but they dropped three of their final four, including a loss in the Northern Regional semifinals. Centreville and Ekanem are hoping to take the next step in 2011.

Senior Member Purebred Irishman's Avatar
    http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...week-in-review

The Notre Dame coaching staff isnt resting on the laurels of its great front seven recruiting class last year. The coaches know that to be a perennial top football power they need to bring in those types of recruits every year. They hope that Ken Ekanem, DE/LB, 6-3, 230, Centreville High School, Clifton, VA will be another one of those recruits.

Ekanem recently cut his list of suitors down to nine. Notre Dame made the cut along with Michigan State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh and Oregon. Centreville head coach Chris Haddock has been impressed with the way his star player is handling his recruitment.

Hes had a good head on his shoulders about the whole process, said Haddock. I think probably as the season progresses, hes going to cut it down to five visits. I think he has a couple of visits in mind already. Hes focused on having a good senior season and we have a good chance of having a pretty good team.

Haddock believes that Notre Dame sits in a good position to get one of Ekanems five official visits.

He and I havent really sat down and mapped it all out, but I think that Notre Dame will be one of his visits, informed Haddock. I dont know that he has necessarily made that official, but he has definitely intimated that thats one of the schools hed like to go visit.

Ekanem plays defensive end and tight end for his high school team, but will definitely suit up on the defensive side of the ball in college.

Hes a defensive end/outside linebacker depending on whether its a 4-3 or 3-4, explained Haddock. Hes got a great burst. Hes the type of kid that can physically play with big kids and big linemen, but hes also athletic enough to play in space. He can cover people, he can run. He can do whatever I need him to do and I think thats one of his strengths at the next level.

Haddock believes that Notre Dame is looking at Ekanem for more than just his on-field prowess. Clearly the Irish coaching staff believes that the talented Virginian is an RKG.

Hes a good student, good citizen, hes a great football player, great athlete and I think that Notre Dame is trying to find those guys, the total package type guys, said Haddock. Hes not an academic risk, hes not at risk of doing anything to embarrass the school or himself or the program.

Notre Dames national recruiting prowess has also attracted Ekanem. Being recruited by the Irish signaled to him that he is truly an elite level national recruit.

He knows that Notre Dame is different in recruiting, Haddock said. Theyre not just recruiting regionally as most of these schools. Hes a part of their national interest and I think that makes him feel that hes in an elite class and I think he is.
    All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract themfrom achieving their aims.

- Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame football coach

Plans to cut his list to a top five in about two weeks. Named ND, Oregon and Virginia Tech as three schools that will definitely make the list. Plans to OV Virginia Tech for the Miami or UNC game. OV's to ND and Oregon will probably have to wait until after his season. Was supposed to OV UNC but did not make it, no plans to reschedule right now.

Would Ken be an inside or outside backer for ND?
    When Jerome Bettis scored while he was at ND he would show everyone how much the TD was worth by pointing to his jersey number.... SIX!

Quote Originally Posted by rikrok58 View Post
    Would Ken be an inside or outside backer for ND?
    OLB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast