Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by XMEN View Post
    Good analysis grandson. I would make one addition to the OT analysis - Prestwood. He should be competing for time with a year under his belt.
    Oh yeah. I completely overlooked Prestwood. Good catch. So now do we have one less scholly or 5th year? If my calculations are correct, we could only recruit 3 more players.

Quote Originally Posted by NDgrandson View Post
    Oh yeah. I completely overlooked Prestwood. Good catch. So now do we have one less scholly or 5th year? If my calculations are correct, we could only recruit 3 more players.
    I'll have to double check but I believe the total 2012 number right now is 87 when you include both Prestwood and Badger, but 14 of those 87 are 5th year eligible Seniors. Right now I would guess that the maximum Kelly would bring back out of that group is 6. If that is the case barring any defections from the current class or other reductions, that leaves room for 6 more in the 2012 class, or 21 in total.

87-14=73+6=79

Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    I'll have to double check but I believe the total 2012 number right now is 87 when you include both Prestwood and Badger, but 14 of those 87 are 5th year eligible Seniors. Right now I would guess that the maximum Kelly would bring back out of that group is 6. If that is the case barring any defections from the current class or other reductions, that leaves room for 6 more in the 2012 class, or 21 in total.

87-14=73+6=79
    Checked it and the actual is 88 with Prestwood & Badger. So if six 5th years come back that would leave room for 5 more in this class, or 20 in total.

88-14=74+6=80

I have updated the first post to reflect the 88 current eligible scholarships for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by doogerfuji View Post
    Nice analysis NDgrandson. My only concern is about Crist. Based on this year, it wouldn't make sense to invite him back. I'm concerned he spends next year back at home with the entire ND playbook in his head in a pro set offense playing for Stanford.
    That will be interesting to see what unfolds. BK usually wants more than 3 QBs on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbri014 View Post
    That will be interesting to see what unfolds. BK usually wants more than 3 QBs on the roster.
    There are 2 issues here.

Don't forget that Crist knew he was not going to play as a Freshman because of Clausen being only a year ahead of him, so part of his reasoning for committing to ND was that he was going to do the 5 year plan where he left South Bend with a Master's. That certainly does not mean that Kelly has to honor that but I have a feeling that no matter what happens the rest of this season that Dayne will be invited back for a 5th year (if he still wants to come back) unless his coming back would be at the expense on NSD of either filling a position of severe need or having to pass on a elite talent like Agholor, Shaq, Peat, or Spence.

On the other hand Kelly does have an option for the 4th QB in 2012 if Crist does indeed leave by simply switching Luke Massa back to QB

Despite the lack of depth, I dont think McCarthy will be invited back unless Kelly has an open slot after the fact.

Cave and Slaughter are definites. With the way that Cwynar is playing, I feel he is right there, too, as him and Nix have been great in the middle of our D. KLM should be offered, but if he were to decide to leave for the NFL, it wouldn't be that bad considering how good the freshmen look.

So that would be 4 coming back, allowing a class of 22. I'm with IUB on his view of Crist's situation. If we can get an elite guy, Crist is out unless there is a transfer or Te'o leaves. Rees will have a lot of experience, plus Golson and Hendrix waiting in the wings, along with Massa as an emergency QB (if we lose 3 QBs next year, there is probably some bigger issue needing addressed).

Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    There are 2 issues here.

Don't forget that Crist knew he was not going to play as a Freshman because of Clausen being only a year ahead of him, so part of his reasoning for committing to ND was that he was going to do the 5 year plan where he left South Bend with a Master's. That certainly does not mean that Kelly has to honor that but I have a feeling that no matter what happens the rest of this season that Dayne will be invited back for a 5th year (if he still wants to come back) unless his coming back would be at the expense on NSD of either filling a position of severe need or having to pass on a elite talent like Agholor, Shaq, Peat, or Spence.

On the other hand Kelly does have an option for the 4th QB in 2012 if Crist does indeed leave by simply switching Luke Massa back to QB
    Can't imagine him pulling a Sharpley and coming back knowing he would be a backup. I would guess that he will take the graduate school exemption and transfer, like Romine, though Romine was not offered the 5th year.
    :clover:"May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past." ~Irish blessing:clover:

Quote Originally Posted by Synoptico View Post
    Can't imagine him pulling a Sharpley and coming back knowing he would be a backup. I would guess that he will take the graduate school exemption and transfer, like Romine, though Romine was not offered the 5th year.
    I don't know. I know Dayne is a competitor, but he also loves ND and has given and done a lot for the school.

Now if Kelly lands an elite talent thereby eliminating a slot for Dayne, then yes I see him taking the exemption route. But if he would have a slot, he may be tempted to go with the Masters at ND.

Quote Originally Posted by morrdave9 View Post
    I don't know. I know Dayne is a competitor, but he also loves ND and has given and done a lot for the school.

Now if Kelly lands an elite talent thereby eliminating a slot for Dayne, then yes I see him taking the exemption route. But if he would have a slot, he may be tempted to go with the Masters at ND.
    A lot of football left to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by ellerymae27 View Post
    hello,im happy to be here in this thread.
    That's awesome spam.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast