Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Community Moderator stonebreakerwasgod's Avatar

Register to remove this advertisement
    Seems pretty awful to me..but that's what people are betting apparently.
    Member: Irish Guards-GH Division

I just wasted a lot of time combing over the roster for next season.

Lots of 5th year options...
    McCarthy, Slaughter, McDonald, Poz, Cwynar, Newman, H.Williams, KLM, Clelland, M.Golic, Goodman, Walker, Crist and Cave.
    I bolded the ones I'd bring back. 5 of them.

If you include the 15 verbals and 5 returning 5th years, my math says we have 4 more spots to fill for a recruiting haul of 19. This also factors in the return of Badger. Those 4 spots, I would think, would go like this.
    2 RBs (Mahone / Marshall / Marshall)
    1 WR (DGB / Thomas / Treggs / Agholor / Jones)
    1OT (Garnett / Banner / Murphy / Peat)

If we lose a verbal, or gain the ability to add to the class (Manti leaves) we have to consider Shaq Thompson, Odenigbo, Spence and Yuri Wright. That is just my opinion. Can Odenigbo or Spence play ILB? I think we need a stud ILB for the future because I'm not sure who on the roster fits that bill.

2012 DBs

Safety
    Slaughter and Motta. 3rd guy... McCarthy
    Collinsworth
    Hardy - I see Hardy as a tweener S/CB and one that may contribute first in the nickel package. The incoming CBs may push Hardy over to safety on order to get the best 4 or 5 DBs on the field. For 2012 though, Motta and Slaughter own the starting spots. After that... who knows? It would be nice to get Shaq Thompson. Oh yeah, Badger comes back. Who knows how he does?
    I don't anticipate Turner or Baratti pushing for PT in 2012.
    That is 9 names for the safety position on this roster next season.

CBs
    Toss up. The good news... Darby and Shepard will be in the mix and hopefully one or two of them can enroll early to push Bennett Jackson and Lo Wood. Between the 2012 JRs and FR are SOs Atkinson and Brown. I think Hardy could easily be one of the 3 best CBs on the roster next year, so we'll see how this position shakes out. Just 6 names at CB. Moving Hardy to CB could shift it from 9/6 to 8/7. Perhaps we see Farley come over to defense? Could we potentially add another CB to the class of 2012? If so, I'd like Yuri Wright.

2012 Linebackers

ILBs
    Will Manti Te'o return?
    If so, no change in the middle with Te'o holding down one spot and Calabrese and Fox on the other side. If Manti leaves, Kendall Moore will be looked to to step in and contribute. Can Utupo make the transition to MLB? What about FR Grace and Rabassa? Would it be crazy to see if Shembo could play MLB? He did in HS. Could recruits Spence or Odinigbo be great MLBs? If so, we need to get one of them.

OLBs
    Youth movement. Shembo is the experienced one and he'll be a JR along with Spond. Niklas has surprised all with him being the first FR to start... and ot OLB. Less than a year ago he was playing OG for Servite HS. Oh yeah, iShaq Williams. That is why I thre out Shembo to ILB. I'm excited to see how Okwara will grow and mature physically but I think he'll start out at OLB. Perkins??? Idk. Maybe a drop OLB vs a real mobile QB. I do think Counsell will be a good dog OLB as well.

If Manti goes pro, I wouldn't mind seeing iShaq and Niklas as the cat and dog with Shembo and Fox/Calabrese in the middle. If Manti comes back... forget about it opposing offenses.

2012 D line

I see 5 guys rotating when they have a 3 4 scheme. Nix / Cwynar at NG and KLM / Lynch / Tuitt at DEs. At NG, Stockton will be back and Springmann may be our #3 guy. I'm calling Schwenke a DE so he is just behind the big 3 and may be an interior guy in a 4 3. Hounshell is there as well to go with FR Day and Jones. Very nice group. We need to keep reloading because we shouldn't expect Nix / Lynch / Tuitt to be using all four years of eligibility.

QBs

I think Rees gets the Tom Brady treatment from when he was at Michigan and BK gives all 3 a good look, hoping to see enough from Golson or Hendrix to make the offense more dynamic. There will be no more "just get the ball to Floyd" calls from the sideline. I hope we find a stud 2013 QB who is perfect for BKs offense.

RBs
    Wood is the man. Roberson will be back and we should have 2 young FR studs to go along with McDaniel. I see Atkinson going to the slot WR position.

Wide Receivers

"Void of Floyd"
    We are learning how BK uses his WRs still and let me see if I am thinking along the same lines as you guys.

Slot
    Theo, Toma, Atkinson, Chris Brown (maybe Thomas, Agholor or Cyrus Jones)
    That is a long list of names for a position we know will be dominated by Theo Ridick. Maybe Atkinson plays the WR position currently held by TJ Jones. I'll call that the Z and the Floyd position the X.

Z
    TJ Jones, Farley, Ferguson? I know TJ is the likely starter.

X
    Daniels, Smith, Greenberry, Massa. It would be nice to just fill Floyd's Void with DGB.

Ultimately, the best receivers will be on the field

Tight Ends
    Eifert's position.
    I see Koyack and Welch competing for the 2 TE set and Golic being #4.

Offensive Line

We get Cave one more year? Really? Awesome. Because we need him. Who is our next center? I could see any of this group getting reps and possibly replacing Cave for 2013... Carrico, Hanratty and I think we have Heggie there too.

OTs
    Martin back for what should be a stellar year. Then who starts opposite him? Lombard, Nichols, Martin? Decker is huge and hopefully we get one of (Garnett / Banner / Murphy / Peat). Lots of competition there.

OGs
    Only Watt is the sure fire starter there with Hegarty figuring in there and Harrell coming in as well. maybe Harrell plays center. IDK. Maybe the guys who dont win the OT positions move down to OG? It seems as though we will have 13 guys, with Heggie a throw in and potential for Jarron Jones to move over here. Of all those, we know Zack Martin will be at LT, Cave at Center, Watt at LG. 10 guys to figure out the other two spots isn't a bad situation.

Nice analysis NDgrandson. My only concern is about Crist. Based on this year, it wouldn't make sense to invite him back. I'm concerned he spends next year back at home with the entire ND playbook in his head in a pro set offense playing for Stanford.

Good analysis grandson. I would make one addition to the OT analysis - Prestwood. He should be competing for time with a year under his belt.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast