Please Support Our Sponsors

'12 FL CB Donaldven Manning (Verbal Offer/ Va. Tech LOI)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Cornerback
    Miami Central High School (Miami, FL)

Links of Interest:
    Rivals Profile

Ht: 5-foot-9
    Wt: 155 lbs.
    Forty: 4.57
    Shuttle:
    Vertical: 33 in.

Multimedia
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwE7mGYk5xE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5VlZ8ZcQzA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPlPrlkE0jw[/ame]

Manning is a Va. Tech verbal who is apparently planning on looking around. He is on both the Rivals 250 and the ND Rivals DB Watch Lists for 2012. ND is actively recruiting him and Manning is saying that he plans on making a visit to South Bend this spring. In addition to Va. Tech, he has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Cincy, IU, UNC, UCF, Rutgers, Florida and Miami. In addition to ND he is still hearing from pOSU, Oregon, and LSU. He spent his first 3 years in HS at Miami Edison before recently transferring to Miami Central.

Not sure why but I really want this kid at ND

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlaw View Post
    Not sure why but I really want this kid at ND
    I'd like at least one more traditional smaller, faster, quicker etc type CB on the roster. It makes us more resilient to bad match ups to have that option.
    "Doggonnit............The Lord gave you two legs, protect them" - Coach Hart

Quote Originally Posted by lowayne View Post
    I'd like at least one more traditional smaller, faster, quicker etc type CB on the roster. It makes us more resilient to bad match ups to have that option.
    I agree and I'll add I want it to be somewhere other than Darby. If we got another small/fast CB it would free up Darby (assuming we get him) to be kind of a jack of all trades kind of player. Kelly would have the freedom to put darbys truly elite speed wherever he thinks the team needs it most

Video interview from a recent 7 on 7 tournament.............

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o6_vtk2DSxE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o6_vtk2DSxE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...all-recruiting (free)

In February, ESPN Top 150 Watch List defensive back Donaldven Manning (Miami, Fla./Central) decided to make an early commitment. Despite having never visited campus, he decided to commit to play for Virginia Tech. Two months later he finally made his way up to Blacksburg, Virginia to take in the Hokie campus, and the trip helped him firm up his commitment.

Despite that commitment, Manning remains fully engaged in the recruiting process.

“I am definitely open to everybody,” Manning said. “I’m committed to Virginia Tech, but at the same time my family thinks I should keep my options open because anything could come up between now and Signing Day.”

“My heart says Virginia Tech, but you never know,” Manning said with a chuckle.

The 5-foot-10 cornerback has developed a strong bond with the Virginia Tech coaches, but his experiences with other coaches is a big reason he remains open to the process.

“There are other coaches out there that are great and I would love to play for them too,” Manning said.

Manning has grown fond of the recruiting process, although his reasons are quite unique.

“It’s kind of a great thing to meet new people,” said the Miami Central cornerback. “It helps you build character. I didn’t grow up in the inner city and I wasn’t always the best kid. Every person that I have met has made me a better person. All the attention I’m getting still seems unreal.”

The attention he has received has encouraged him to work hard and make himself an even better player.

“Some of the things they tell me motivates me and makes me want to get up in the morning and keep working hard,” Manning said of his growing relationship with college recruiters. “Everything they tell me is music to my ears. All the guys coming by makes me want to work harder. Slowing up now is going to make them go away. I just want to keep working harder and get to the next level.”

Getting to the next level has long been a dream for Manning. One program still strongly under consideration is Notre Dame. Last week Notre Dame sent two coaches down to Miami to check in on the standout cornerback.

“It was kind of crazy, I was on my way out to go get my driver’s license,” Manning said of seeing the Notre Dame coaches heading into Central High School. “I was like, wow, that looks like Notre Dame. We couldn’t talk though, but it was cool that they came by.”

Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco and wide receiver coach Tony Alford spent time talking with Central head coach Telly Lockette during their visit. The message they gave to Lockette was relayed to Manning.

“They are coming down here to get the best, and they feel like I’m one of the best,” Manning said of the message he received from his coach. “They believe I can play for them, and I think I can to.”

Despite his lack of ideal size, Manning is a physical cornerback, making him a good fit for the Irish defense. His quickness, toughness, and physicality are big reasons why Notre Dame is recruiting him so heavily.

“I love that program,” Manning said of Notre Dame. “They said they wanted a shutdown corner and someone who could take away one whole side of the field. I’ve been doing that for three years now. But I’m better now than I was as a ninth grader. I just want to keep getting better and better. I’m more explosive now, I’m quicker now, and I’m putting on more weight.”

Despite his commitment to Virginia Tech, Manning plans on taking visits in the fall. One program that he will visit is Notre Dame, although no specific date has been set at this point in time.

“I am going to set up my official visits later on in the summer,” Manning said. “Notre Dame is definitely a school that is going to get my visit.”

Manning has been offered by Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Alabama, Auburn, California, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Florida, Indiana, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, Rutgers, and West Virginia.

Banned
    Add him to the list for that game in October...

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...all-recruiting (free)

The Irish will lose experienced vets in Gary Gray and Robert Blanton after the 2011 season, and behind them the depth chart is very green. One of Notre Dame’s biggest needs in the Class of 2012 is to upgrade the cornerback position.

Brian Kelly and his staff have delivered, just as they did along the defensive line in 2011. The Irish have already landed verbal commitments from elite corners Tee Shepard and Ronald Darby, and now they hope to finish the already outstanding haul with one more top playmaker.

Donaldven Manning (Miami, Fla./Miami Central) has been committed to Virginia Tech since early February, but he’s been clear about keeping his options open.

The Miami Central standout has an offer list featured some of the top programs in the nation like Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, LSU, Nebraska,Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Michigan State, Notre Dame and South Florida among others.

The 5-foot-10, 175-pounder has scheduled an official visit to Notre Dame for the USC game on October 22nd.

The Florida defender has built a great relationship with Irish assistant coach Tony Alford.

“Coach Alford has stayed on me the whole time, even though I’m committed, he continues to tell me how much they want me,” he said. “I feel comfortable with Coach Alford, we can talk about anything, and I feel he’s not just telling me what I want to hear.”

Manning says he’s still solid with his commitment to the Hokies, but he has his reasons for looking around.

“I committed early, so I have to make sure that I don’t miss out on what each school has to offer,” he explained. “Virginia Tech is usually loaded at my position, and I want to play early in my career, so I’m checking other schools and if I find a better opportunity the good, but if not, I’m happy with Virginia Tech.”

The coveted prospect has a high interest in the Notre Dame program, and he hopes to get a better feel for the program on his visit.

“I’ve always liked Notre Dame, and I’m hoping to see how the coaches interact with the players, plus I wanna see how the social life is,” he said. “I already know what kind of education they offer, and I think the coaches have the team headed in the right direction. I know they don’t have many corners up there, and that’s appealing to me.

Manning is looking to take all five official visits, but he’s not sure where he’ll visit just yet.

“I’m in the process of setting them up right now,” he explained. “I’m talking to West Virginia, Alabama and Nebraska, plus a few others. The only visits I know for sure are Notre Dame and Virginia Tech
    .”

Manning will make a commitment to another school if it feels right.

“I will commit to a school if I go there and I know that it’s the best place for me to be, and succeed at,” said Manning.