Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2012 Articles

Register to remove this advertisement
    Didn't Hopkins have Garnett as a virtual lock to Stanford not too long ago? Unless something changed very recently most of the other gurus had scUM as third of three, not the leader.

Three Official EE's and a transfer to ND.................

Four Student-Athletes Added To Notre Dame Football Roster - UND.COM - University of Notre Dame Official Athletic Site

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The University of Notre Dame football team added four players to its roster Tuesday, head coach Brian Kelly announced.

The Irish added one transfer student and three early-enrollee freshmen to the football squad.

Running back Amir Carlisle (Santa Clara, Calif./Kings Academy/USC) transferred to Notre Dame after attending the first semester of his freshman year at the University of Southern California.

Defensive lineman Sheldon Day (Indianapolis, Ind./Warren Central), quarterback Gunner Kiel (Columbus, Ind./Columbus East) and defensive back Tee Shepard (Fresno, Calif./Washington Union) graduated from their respective high schools last December.

The four players signed their scholarship forms and were enrolled at the University Tuesday, the first day of the 2012 spring semester at Notre Dame.

Carlisle played in eight games for the Trojans in 2011. He totaled 19 rushes for 118 yards (6.2 yards per carry) and posted seven receptions for 41 yards with one touchdown. His best game for USC came at Colorado when Carlisle led the Trojans with 90 yards on 10 carries and caught two passes for 31 yards, including a 19-yard TD reception.

As a senior at Kings Academy, Carlisle was named a 2010 high school All-American by Parade and SuperPrep after gaining 2,110 rushing yards (averaged 10.0 yards per carry) and 28 TDs. He also caught 12 passes for 231 yards (19.3 average) with three TDs. In his high school career, Carlisle rushed for 5,108 yards (11.0 yards per carry) with 73 rushing TDs and posted 26 career 100-yard rushing games in 28 high school games.

"I'm really excited to be here at Notre Dame. I had great respect for the school and football program when I went through the recruiting process a year ago and I'm proud to be enrolled here. I know this will be a great fit for me and I can't wait to get started."

Day was a second-team selection on the SI.com High School All-America team. The Indianapolis Star Super Team Player of the Year for 2011 was also runner-up for 2011 Indiana Mr. Football award chosen by Indiana Football Coaches Association. Day made 55 tackles including 12 for loss, nine sacks, 12 quarterback pressures and recovered two fumbles as a senior. He helped Warren Central to 11-1 record in 2011, with the only loss occurring in the sectional final to eventual Indiana 5A champion Carmel.

"I'm excited to get here and get started on my classwork and to start the conditioning program with Coach (Paul) Longo," Day said. "I really liked meeting the guys during my recruiting process and I'm excited to start workouts with them this winter."

Many internet scouting services rated Kiel the top quarterback recruit in the nation this year. The 2011 Indiana Mr. Football passed for 2,517 yards and 28 TDs as a senior and rushed for 482 yards and 11 TDs. He helped lead Columbus East High School to the Indiana state 4A semifinals as a senior and was named the Gatorade Indiana Player of the Year. Kiel passed for 7,175 yards in his high school career.

"This recruitment process was a roller-coaster ride at times, but I know I have made the right decision for my family and me," Kiel said. "There were three critical elements I was looking for in my future school: the quality of education I would receive, the distance from home and the comfort level I would have with the players and coaches in the football program. Notre Dame was the perfect fit for me because it hit all three areas.

"Coach Kelly was great throughout my recruitment, as many times our conversations had nothing do with football. That really showed me he had my best intentions in mind. He was persistent yet also patient while recruiting me and I look forward to playing for him the next four years. I couldn't be happier to be a member of the Fighting Irish football team. I'm excited about the future of the program."

Shepard was rated the third-best cornerback in his class by Scout.com and the number-36 player nationally by MaxPreps and Tom Lemming. Shepard was forced to sit out his senior season after transferring from Central East High School in Fresno. He made 10 interceptions in his high school career and played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl in Phoenix.

"I'm really happy to part of the Notre Dame football family," Shepard said. "This is a special place and I'm excited to finally be here. Getting a jump start on my training and in my classes can only help me for the future."

Additions to Notre Dame football team:

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown (High School)
    Amir Carlisle^ RB 5-10 180 Santa Clara, CA (Kings Academy)
    Sheldon Day* DL 6-2 286 Indianapolis, IN (Warren Central)
    Gunner Kiel* QB 6-4 220 Columbus, IN (Columbus East)
    Tee Shepard* DB 6-1 186 Fresno, CA (Washington Union)
    ^ - Transfer from USC
    * - Early-enrollee freshman
    Last edited by zimmsbg78; 01-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Detroit News Blue Chip players talk about recruiting experiences | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Detroit News Blue Chip players talk about recruiting experiences

Detroit News sports writer Tom Markowski interviewed the top 15 Blue Chip players and asked them questions about their recruiting process. Here are some of their comments.

1. Mario Ojemudia

Farmington Hills Harrison

DL, OL/6-3, 225

Commitment: Michigan

Best recruiting experience: It had to be the Michigan-Notre Dame game. It was the first game I saw this season and it was an amazing comeback. The fans were going nuts.

Worst recruiting experience: All of the attention. I don't know how to explain it. You go from not being anybody to everyone giving me all the attention.

Why not MSU? I just felt more comfortable with Michigan. Michigan State was the front-runner when I figured out I was a D-1 recruit. It was definitely the (U-M) coaches who changed my mind.

2. Terry Richardson

Detroit Cass Tech

DB, WR, KR/5-9, 165

Best recruiting experience: Just getting all of the scholarship offers was the best. Talking to all of the coaches like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, that was cool. Nick was a great guy; it was amazing. He comes to Detroit and he was the first one to offer me (a scholarship). That was my sophomore year and I was thinking of committing right there.

Worst recruiting experience: It was all of that Facebook and Twitter stuff. All their responses (after Richardson sent a Tweet about playing time at Michigan). When I tweeted, some said some stuff and that U-M didn't need me.

Why not MSU? They didn't give me a scholarship (offer) after I got one from Alabama and LSU.

3. James Ross

Orchard Lake St. Mary's

LB, TE/6-1, 210

Best recruiting experience: My first meeting with coach (defensive coordinator Greg) Mattison. He broke down the defense. He showed a film of the Ravens against Kansas City. I came to life. I remember that. Ray Lewis has always been kind of a hero to me.

Worst recruiting experience: The trip to Notre Dame. We had serious car trouble. It was the worst two hours. The car was shaking and it snowed all day. It turned out the tire was defective. On another trip south, I won't mention the school, but one coach, he was the linebackers coach, talked as if we (players from northern schools) were inferior. He talked about how slow we were.

Why not MSU? I've never been a Spartan fan, although I have family members who went there. The coaches were fantastic coach (Mark) Dantonio and everybody.

4. Royce Jenkins-Stone

Detroit Cass Tech

LB, RB/6-2, 215

Best recruiting experience: I enjoyed feeling good about my decision and everybody showing me love. I didn't let it get to my head. I took it as a blessing. I had a great time.

Worst recruiting experience: When I was getting offered (a scholarship) by MSU. The day I went there, I thought I'd get (the scholarship offer) that day. But I got it a week later. I mean, I kept waiting. It upset me that I didn't get it right away.

Why not MSU? It was all right at first. I was talking to Iowa, Florida, Michigan State, Alabama and Michigan. My family are all U-M fans everybody except one of my cousins went to Michigan State. That was unfortunate. If (coach) Rich Rodriguez was still (at U-M), there's no way I'd go there. It would have been either Michigan State, Alabama, Florida or Iowa.

5. Aaron Burbridge

WR, DB/6-2, 185

Commitment: Michigan State

Best recruiting experience: Getting a chance to meet coach (Mark) Dantonio. I've always been a State fan. I got to meet the head coach; that was great. Plus, the first time I met him he offered a scholarship and that really put a smile on my face.

Worst recruiting experience: All of the phone calls. During the summer I'd get five a week from different people. After awhile I stopped answering.

Why not U-M? I'm not a real fan of Michigan. I went there once and met coach (Greg) Mattison and coach (Fred) Jackson. I just like State more.

6. Matt Godin

Detroit Catholic Central

DL, OL/6-6, 265

Best recruiting experience: My visits to all of the schools. Going to Wisconsin, Michigan State and Michigan, looking around the campuses, it was the coolest thing. The visit to U-M was the best because I got to meet my future teammates.

Worst recruiting experience: I felt a little pressure. At one point I had no clue where I wanted to go.

Why not MSU? That's the toughest question you could ask. I just didn't have as comfortable a feeling as when I was at U-M.

7. Devin Funchess

WR, TE/6-4, 215

Best recruiting experience: The visits to both (Michigan and Michigan State). It was great to see both campuses. Michigan just fit my style.

Worst recruiting experience: When I went to Michigan State, it was at one of their spring practices. It seemed like I saw favoritism toward certain recruits.

Why not MSU? It was slow and they showed favoritism. It was boring to me. It was dry. It wasn't alive. At Michigan they were getting all hyped and stuff. At Michigan State they seemed to be going through the motions.

8. Danny O'Brien

Flint Powers

DL, OL/6-2, 302

Commitment: Tennessee

Best recruiting experience: All of the visits I took. They were all a good time. Going to Alabama, Tennessee and LSU was great. Watching Tennessee play LSU this year and Tennessee playing Alabama the year before was pretty cool.

Worst recruiting experience: My phone was blowing up during the summer with people wanting to know where I was going. I'd shut it off all the time.

Why not MSU? I liked coach (Mark) Dantonio. I liked the process I had with them. He's a great coach. Tennessee was just better for me; they were the first to offer (a scholarship).

Why not U-M? I liked coach (Brady) Hoke a lot, too. He turned things around there. I just don't like Ann Arbor. It's a little too liberal for me.

9. Ron Thompson

Southfield

TE, DE/6-4, 230

Commitment: Syracuse

Best recruiting experience: It was coach (Tyrone) Wheatley. He really related to me. Plus, on my official visit there (to Syracuse on Jan. 13) I got to stay for a basketball game and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Worst recruiting experience: I love the Wolverines they offered me a scholarship but I had to turn them down. I didn't think it was the right fit for me.

Why not MSU? I would have thought about them but they didn't recruit me.

Why not U-M? It's not so much a negative about Michigan. Syracuse is just better because of the position (tight end) I play.

10. Ben Braden

Rockford

OT/6-7, 320

Best recruiting experience: Going to the Notre Dame game, the first night game there. And the Ohio State game this year was good. It was cool to see the traditions of the teams with Notre Dame and Michigan wearing their classic uniforms.

Worst recruiting experience: The driving. We only went to Wisconsin but it was six hours there and it took eight hours to get home because of the weather.

Why not MSU? U-M stood out for me, like home. There was nothing bad about Michigan State; U-M was just more positive for me.

11. Evan Winston

Muskegon Heights

DE, OT/6-4, 255

Commitment: Missouri

Best recruiting experience: It was on my official visit to Missouri (Dec. 9). I got a chance to watch them prepare for their bowl game. Just to see how hard they work, just the vibe they let out was something.

Worst recruiting experience: Didn't have one.

Why not U-M? You have to ask them. They never pursued me. They sent me letters. They told me to come to their camps.

Why not MSU? Again, you have to ask them. They recruited me but after discussing it with my family, we felt (Missouri) was the best fit for me. I have family in St. Louis so that makes it easier.

12. Jamal Lyles

Southfield-Lathrup

LB, QB/6-4, 215

Commitment: Michigan State

Best recruiting experience: It was all of the people who were interested in me, all of the coaches at the schools that recruited me. It's been a life-long dream to play Division I football.

Worst recruiting experience: I enjoyed everything about it.

Why not U-M? I thought State was a better fit for me. I like the defensive coaches there and coach (Mark) Dantonio is a straight-forward guy. Michigan (recruited me) late and they wanted me to play tight end. I want to play defense.

13. Drake Johnson

Ann Arbor Pioneer

RB/6-1, 211

Best recruiting experience: I've known (U-M coach) Fred Jackson a long time. He's always wanted me to go to Michigan. My mom (Pamela St. John) is the cheerleading coach there so it's seems like I've known coach Jackson forever.

Worst recruiting experience: I wasn't getting any Big Ten looks. It was frustrating. No matter how well I did no one cared. Michigan offered me (a scholarship) on Nov. 8. No other Big Ten school did. Maybe it was because I didn't go to any big camps.

Why not MSU? One, they didn't offer me (a scholarship). They would say to me they were thinking about it. Obviously, they didn't want me. If they did (offer a scholarship), I'd still go to Michigan.

14. Dennis Norfleet

Detroit King

RB, KR/5-6, 180

Commitment: Cincinnati

Best recruiting experience: I enjoyed the whole process. I had the chance to talk to so many coaches and so many D-1 prospects. Just all of the excitement of getting a chance to play in college made it special.

Worst recruiting experience: I enjoyed everything.

Why not MSU? There's not really a reason. Some people say the Big East isn't as good as the Big Ten. That's not it. Michigan State is a great school. It just didn't fit.

Why not U-M? I didn't even get a look from Michigan.

15. Ruben Lile

Detroit Cass Tech

WR, DB/6-3, 200

Commitment: Iowa

Best recruiting experience: It had to be the trip to Iowa. Everybody loved me. The campus and the fans were great. Everything is just right there. The downtown area is right near campus.

Worst recruiting experience: I didn't have one.

Why not MSU? They didn't offer me. It was supposed to happen last year. Michigan State would have been at the top of my list (had he received a scholarship offer).

Why not U-M? I wasn't a big fan of Michigan. I would have liked a (scholarship offer). But I probably wouldn't have taken it.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789