Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WSoccer: ND to Finals

Register to remove this advertisement
    after hardfought but dominating 1-0 win over the buckeyes. Oppenent will be winner of Stanford-BC game that is yet to be played

ND vs Stanford in the final on Sunday.
    Irish Guard GH Division

CARY, N.C. (AP) - Freshman Mandy Laddish broke away from the pack at midfield and streaked through the Ohio State defense in the 83rd minute to net Notre Dame's only goal at WakeMed Stadium in the NCAA College Cup semifinal.

Laddish scored her second goal of the season for the Fighting Irish (20-2-2), who advanced to the championship game for the fourth time in the last seven years. Notre Dame will play top-ranked and unbeaten Stanford on Sunday at Noon ET on ESPN2.

"It's almost just like a blur to me," Laddish said. "I remember the shot on goal, and I was just in shock that I actually scored and was helping us win."

Katie Baumgardner made a career-high 10 saves, many of them acrobatic, for the Buckeyes (17-5-2).

"It was exhausting," Baumgardner said.

Laddish broke through with a long run down the middle of the field. Outracing pursuit, she drilled a left-footed shot from the top of the box into the upper left-hand corner of the net.

The Fighting Irish threatened the Buckeyes with similar runs throughout the second half, nearly scoring on two other occasions after Laddish's goal.

"I know what our Achilles' heel is, and they found it," Ohio State coach Lori Walker said. "Penetrating on the dribble through the midfield was the one thing that if they did that, we didn't have an answer."

Ohio State's best opportunity came in the 89th minute. Paige Maxwell lofted a shot that got past Notre Dame goalkeeper Nikki Weiss, but the ball bounced off the right post.

"I guess it was our turn to get robbed," Maxwell said. "They got robbed a few times. The soccer gods were not in our favor on that one. I just put everything I had, all my being, through that ball."

The Fighting Irish dominated possession throughout, particularly in the second half. They outshot the Buckeyes 15-3 in the half, getting turned away time after time by Baumgardner.

Notre Dame put together a flurry midway through the period. Melissa Henderson rocketed a shot from inside the box that Baumgardner saved, but Henderson threatened again just 10 seconds later.

Henderson hit a left-footed shot from straight on that Baumgardner dived to her right to knock away just before the ball found the bottom corner of the net.

Notre Dame's Rose Augustin generated the best scoring opportunity in the first half. Augustin's blast from the left wing just outside the box in the 24th minute hit the far post near the top of the goal, and the Buckeyes cleared the loose ball.

Augustin also had a header in the seventh minute that Baumgardner saved.
    Don't facebook recruits. You are adults, act like it.

Go Irish!!! Get that third national title!!!
    AUTRY DENSON'S #1 FAN!!!

Irish win NC!:signlep:

Congrats and great win for the Irish womens soccer team.
    Irish Guard GH Division

congrats to the argueing irish (ladys dont fight ;) )

:goirish::wearend::cheer::hcti:
    "Doggonnit............The Lord gave you two legs, protect them" - Coach Hart

Nice!
    Irish guard GH division

Wooooohoooooo I hope the football boys get used to seeing the #1 sign lit on that building on campus and keep it up next year!!!
    AUTRY DENSON'S #1 FAN!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast