Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    With the tragic loss of Matt James RIP this past year, we do have a need for an elite level OT, if not this class (Hegarty is good and will develop, but was thinking more of a Cyrus K, or A Richardson type) then in 2012. Elite level Depth in 2012, thats what we will be in need of. I think the line will be strong, so I'm not overly concerned. This is also why I am a fan of offering 5th years to lineman that are willing to return, depth and experience at this position is invaluable even if they are not starters.

2011 Line
    LT Martin LG Watt C Cave RG Robinson RT Dever

This is a solid line for us in 2011. With a very strong two deep as well. Possible one of the strongest Lines we have had in a while. 4 returners and Watt who has seen time.

I haven't really studied 2012 recruiting yet but is there someone on the radar that fits the mold of an elite level OT?

IMO I see the OL in 2012 looking like this:
    LT Martin LG Watt C Cave RG Golic/Bullard RT Clelland/Lombard

Even with this line the Left side is Solid returners, the right side will have guys that have all gotten experience, but 2012 will be a tough physical football schedule. Would love to know that the Right side of the ball has their act together.

No need for Panic, but we need a Stud OL in 2012.
    Cheers! Crasher
    go in there and fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!

:goirish: IRISH GUARD GH-Division!

Hegarty is easily a superior prospect to the late Matt James iyam. He would even have a shot at starting at RT in 2012 but I think the years will favour either Nicholls or Lombard.

Both DJ Humphries and Zach Banner (both of whom we have offered but both are probably longshots) are dominants potential 5 star tackles and would fit the profile we need. Id like to get a true center though with good snapping experience amongst others.

This is all fine with regards to the starters but we are assuming that Martin will return and he may not. He is pretty darn good and IF the NFL says we can give $20 million or whatever, he should go for it. Also, kids get injured all the time. Sometimes temporarily and sometimes their careers are over. I'm just saying I see a lot on new faces getting offers for this current class but none seem to be on the OL. Either BK doesn't see a problem or is over looking it. Still a long way to NSD. I'd just love to see one more quality OL. ok i feel better.
    If you're Lucky enough to be Irish, then you're Lucky enough.

I think Martin might go pro after his RS Junior/true Senior year but not after the 2011 season. I cant remember a RS Soph OT ever going high

UPDATED.

At the present time the 2011 Class has 77 committed schollies, not counting any 5th years. There is little doubt that Harrison Smith, Gray, and Dever will be invited back and I would assume they will come back. That takes us to 80 schollies taken, which is the number I’ll use for this exercise.

There are currently 27 Uncommitted recruits listed below with ND offers. In addition there are 2 currently committed elsewhere recruits (Amir Carlisle, Shane Ray) of whom ND has at least a 50/50 chance of flipping. So there are currently 29 available on the board. Based on the 80 schollie number, ND could then take as many as 5 of these guys if they wanted to commit.

The bolded names below are the only ones that are still realistically in play for ND. Eight of the 29 on the board still in play for the Irish.

Savon Huggins- ND vs. Rutgers battle right now, but further visits could change that.

Miles Shuler- Shuler visits ND the last weekend before NSD. If ND lands Huggins they will have a good shot at Shuler too, if not fuggedabout it.

Troy Niklas- Nilas also visits ND the last weekend before NSD, you can't ask for a better opportunity.

Brennan Scarlett- The Irish are presumably still hanging in there with Brennan.

Ishaq Williams- Currently on a 3 day OV in South Bend, the Irish are generally considered to be IShaq's current favorite. The visit will most likely determine whether they stay that way.

Wayne Lyons- ND is probably still at best #4 out of Wayne's final 6.

Amir Carlisle- Currently a Stanford commit, Amir will OV ND this weekend. Being buddies with the Atkinson twins helps ND here, but the really big question that remains to be answered is whether Amir is TSV from the Utah game. :bigsmile:

Shane Ray- Currently a Mizzou commit and legacy, Ray had a great OV at South Bend last weekend. This weekend he will do the same at Mizzou. We will probably know by early next week whether he will flip.

In summary. 8 possibilities for 5 slots. Can ND beat the odds and get 5 out of 8. It seems possible as ND is probably in the Top 2 for Williams, Carlisle, Ray, and Huggins, the Top 3 for Niklas, and the Top 4 for Shuler. That is 6 out of 8. Only Lyons & Scarlett would be considered relative longshots. Finishing the season as they did bolstered ND's recruiting chances with a lot of these guys.

The intriguing question that will be asked if Amir Carlisle flips this weekend is whether ND will then opt out on Savon Huggins. If they do they de facto opt out on Shuler as well, and poof just like that 6 becomes 4. For that reason as well as Huggins potential as a dominant RB I see no way that happens.

So it looks like it could be 6 guys for 5 potential slots. Would ND take all 6? I don't think there is any doubt of that although it would probably require some shake-up in the roster (or GF the other current verbals) between now and NSD. Will they get all 6? The odds are against that but it's nice to see that for once it is a real possibility this time of year.

If ND does get all 6, who loses out? Ruffer, Pat Flavin, other 5th year possibilities like Ragone, Nuss, and Romine, although Ragone at least would probably get a slot if Rudy heads to the NFL as long as Rudy's departure opens up a slot in the 85 max. The other possible loser could be Nate Montana, but it will take a 100% commit rate with no other change in the status quo for that to happen.

It's kind of funny that I started this thread based on the musings of whether ND had room for Golson & McDaniel. I guess they did. :bigsmile:

The 27 Uncommitted + Carlisle & Ray

Dual-Threat Quarterback
    Jacoby Brissett 6-5/225/4.50 West Palm Beach, FL

Running Back
    Savon Huggins 6-0/190/ Jersey City, NJ
    Amir Carlisle 5-10/181/4.43 Sunnyvale, CA

Athlete
    Rodney Coe 6-3/230/4.54 Edwardsville, IL
    Miles Shuler 5-11/173/4.38 Long Branch, NJ

Wide Receiver
    Kelvin Benjamin 6-6/210/ Belle Glade, FL
    George Farmer 6-2/192/4.44 Gardena, CA
    Hakeem Flowers 6-2/173/ Greenville, SC

Tight End
    Jay Rome 6-6/227/- Valdosta, GA

Offensive Tackle
    Cyrus Hobbi 6-4/285/ Scottsdale, AZ
    Cyrus Kouandjio 6-6/322/5.0 Hyattsville, MD
    Troy Niklas 6-5/240/4.7 Anaheim, CA
    Antonio Richardson 6-6/310/ Nashville, TN
    Aundre Walker 6-6/355/ Cleveland, OH
    Xzavier Ward 6-7/255/ Moultrie, GA

Strongside Defensive End
    Jeoffrey Pagan 6-4/272/4.63 Asheville, NC
    Brennan Scarlett 6-5/245/4.96 Portland, OR

Weakside Defensive End
    Ray Drew 6-5/236/ Thomasville, GA
    Jason Gibson 6-3/212/4.60 Gardena, CA
    Shane Ray 6-4/221/4.84 Shawnee Mission, KS
    Ishaq Williams 6-6/220/4.65 Broooklyn, NY

Inside Linebacker
    Denzel Perryman 5-11/217/ Coral Gables, FL

Outside Linebacker
    Stephone Anthony 6-3/220/4.52 Wadesboro, NC
    Lateek Townsend 6-2/207/4.60 Bennettsville, SC

Safety
    Quincy Aldridge 6-2/195/4.55 Whitehouse, TX
    Wayne Lyons 6-0/190/4.55 Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Cornerback
    Doran Grant 5-10/171/4.59 Akron, OH
    Albert Louis-Jean 6-0/172/ Brockton, MA
    Marcus Roberson 6-1/170/ Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Last edited by irishunclebill; 12-09-2010 at 09:10 PM.

I think someone new will pop up in January. Kelly likes to raid the cupboard in the darkness of night.

Plus Clear if offered...
    :clover:"May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past." ~Irish blessing:clover:

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIrish View Post
    This is all fine with regards to the starters but we are assuming that Martin will return and he may not. He is pretty darn good and IF the NFL says we can give $20 million or whatever, he should go for it. Also, kids get injured all the time. Sometimes temporarily and sometimes their careers are over. I'm just saying I see a lot on new faces getting offers for this current class but none seem to be on the OL. Either BK doesn't see a problem or is over looking it. Still a long way to NSD. I'd just love to see one more quality OL. ok i feel better.
    I agree with this and all the more reason to add Niklas, or Clear. We need to work these boys over.

Might I also say that I love this thread :headbang:

The excitment of guessing who we will get is like Christmas.
    Cheers! Crasher
    go in there and fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!

:goirish: IRISH GUARD GH-Division!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCrasher View Post
    I agree with this and all the more reason to add Niklas, or Clear. We need to work these boys over.

Might I also say that I love this thread :headbang:

The excitment of guessing who we will get is like Christmas.
    I haven't crunched the numbers, but we might have as many O-lineman next year as we've had any year over the last 10. Just a guess.

Here's a good read from ISD............................http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...ng-who-is-left

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast