Not a Supporting Member?

Become a Gold Club Supporting Member to remove this box and all other advertisments! Only $15 per year. Click HERE for more info!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator

'10 NJ WR Bennett Jackson (6/7/09 Notre Dame LOI)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Wide Receiver
    Raritan High School (Hazlet, NJ)

Links of Interest:
    Rivals Profile

Height: 6 foot-1
    Weight: 165 lbs.
    Forty: 4.44 secs.
    Bench Max: 235 lbs.
    Squat Max: 395 lbs.
    Shuttle:
    Vertical:
    GPA:

Multimedia
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o24Uy2ofEgw[/ame]

Administrator
    Another victim of being lost during the file transfer, starting a new thread for Bennett for the free ISD story below.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/inde...ories&Itemid=4

Longtime Standout
    Written by Christian McCollum Saturday, 10 July 2010 07:32

Jackson has always had his speed.People around Hazlet, N.J. have heard about Bennett Jackson for so long that they don’t even need to hear his name to realize when others are talking about him.

“There was nothing he couldn’t do,” Jackson’s Pop Warner coach Greg Fitzpatrick says during a phone interview. “We’d give him the ball if he was running right and he was trapped in, he’d cut it back left and go all of the way for a touchdown.”

Fitzpatrick’s son, Paul, is only in position to hear the last part of that quote and despite the fact that his father has not coached Jackson in four years, he chimes in, “Who’re you talking about, Bennett?”

Jackson began turning heads as a football player as a third-grade running back for the Hazlet Hawks Mighty Mites team. Jackson, who played on a select soccer team as a youngster, had a good idea of where his future was as soon as he got on the gridiron.

“I kind of always knew that I would play college football,” he said.

Jackson’s mother, Grace, said that her son has always been extremely fast and it was difficult for the single mom to keep up with a speedster, who was ready to go before seven every morning. So, she got him involved in sports.

“There was one time he ran for a touchdown and literally ran out of his shoes and kept going,” she said. “The cleats were on the field and he was in the end zone.”

Jackson was not coached by Fitzpatrick until he was in the fifth grade, but Fitzpatrick was waiting for him when he got there.

“You knew about him from Mighty Mites,” Jackson said. “He had great vision. He was a pretty skinny kid. He had these skinny legs, but he would break a lot of tackles. It was amazing, I couldn’t believe it.

“You’d see him get bent one way or the other and you’d just hold your breath hoping he didn’t break something and he’d pop up. He had the vision, he could change the field so quick on you. He was a handful for opposing teams to handle.”

But his impact ran deeper than his running.

“He did everything for us,” Fitzpatrick said. “He kicked off, he kicked extra points, he punted. I can‘t tell you how many times he punted us out of trouble. There was nothing he couldn’t do. If he was running right and he was trapped in, he’d cut it back left and go all of the way for a touchdown.”

One game, Bennett had issues with his kicking footwear. He wore a pair of brand new cleats and his foot hurt every time he kicked the ball.

“He had me run home to grab his old cleats and run back,” Grace recalled. “He played basically the whole game with one old cleat and one new cleat.”

Jackson loved playing for Fitzpatrick.

“He pretty much taught my almost everything I know,” said Jackson. “When I was younger, he would always get in my face if I had an attitude or if I was having a bad day or goofing off. I pretty much owe a lot of it to him, he showed me everything.”

“He was unassuming,” said Fitzpatrick. “He was a little high strung and you’d have to reel him in a little bit here and there. He was emotional, but he learned how to control his emotions more and got better and better at it.”

Jackson got used to playing receiver in a hurry.Fitzpatrick provided an extra ear for Jackson, an invaluable asset for youngsters who don’t always listen to their parents. The coach helped Jackson deal with the pressure of being a high-profile player at an early age.

A lack of players and coaches forced Jackson and his teammates to head to the Pee Wee league after one season with the juniors - instead of two - but the success did not slow down. In their first three years with Fitzpatrick, Jackson and his teammates lost just two games and the team made a run all of the way to the Pop Warner National Championship Game in 2004.

Jackson set touchdown records at every stop along the way.

“He worked as hard as anybody,” Fitzpatrick said. “He didn’t have a conceited bone in his body. He was a team player. Like every outstanding player, he wanted the ball. So a lot of times we gave it to him.”

As Fitzpatrick watched one of his best players ever move on to high school, he knew Jackson’s future was promising, but was not sure exactly how promising.

“You knew he was so talented and you knew he had a bright future,” he said. “But you didn’t know how big he was going to get.”

Jackson never lost his connection with Fitzpatrick or his solid work ethic. Despite the fact that he did not have the size to be a running back when he joined the Raritan High School varsity squad as a sophomore, he made an easy transition to wide receiver. He was not happy about changing positions at first, but he adjusted quickly.

“I started to like it more because I had more room to work to myself and less guys to beat,” he said. “It wasn’t really too hard on me. I kind of got the hang of it quick.”

By the time he got some snaps in the backfield as a senior, he considered himself a receiver.

“I wasn’t really a fan of it,” he laughed. “I liked being out in space. I got so used to being a wide receiver that I kind of forgot about my running back days.”

Jackson caught 75 passes for 1,338 yards over his final two seasons at Raritan while gaining 617 yards on 55 carries. He also used his speed to become a nationally-ranked hurdler in track and field.

Jackson wanted to keep the recruiting process as calm as possible and his high school coach only sent tape to schools with a history of getting players from New Jersey.

“I wasn’t really worried about getting 1,000 offers from every single school and getting all confused,” Jackson said.

As soon as the process started getting confusing, Jackson decided to put an end to it and selected Notre Dame the summer before his final high school season.

“Notre Dame provides the most exposure and they have the best academics of the schools that offered,” he said. “I looked at it as the best of both worlds. If I didn’t go anywhere for football, I had the education allowing me to do just as well.”

Michigan and Pittsburgh were the other finalists, but Jackson’s mother knew it would be the Irish after he took his visit.

“I was happy he was going there,” she said. “It just has everything going for it.”

A huge Irish fan, Fitzpatrick was also pleased with the decision.

“I think it’s one of the best academic institutions in the country,” he said. “I told him, ‘I’m going to come see you play no matter where you go, but if you go to Notre Dame, I’m hanging out there with you for a couple of weeks.’”

Jackson did not pick Notre Dame because of a single coach, so when Charlie Weis was replaced with Brian Kelly, he was not worried. He looked at the new coach as just somebody else he needed to impress. Jackson was certainly impressed with Kelly’s spread offense and the new coach told him that he was a good fit and the two were going to have a lot of fun together.

Fitzpatrick knows what Kelly is talking about and still fondly recalls the memories the two had together.

“It’s amazing to watch,” he said. “He came to us when he was nine years old. Just to watch him as a young boy grow up to be a young man, I couldn’t be prouder of Bennett. It wouldn’t have mattered to us if it was an Atlantic-10 school or a Northeast Conference school, we’d still be proud of him.

“It’s a privilege and an honor that I had any kind of input in his lifetime. He’s a great kid.”

dude has the chance to really excel in kelly's offense -- i'm looking forward to seeing it

Community Moderator stonebreakerwasgod's Avatar
    Numa Numa??
    Member: Irish Guards-GH Division

Quote Originally Posted by stonebreakerwasgod View Post
    Numa Numa??
    LOL

Bennett is gonna make it happen :word:

way to go IUB sleeping on the job again:sleeping:

IRISH GUARD-GH Division

Community Moderator stonebreakerwasgod's Avatar
    I think a recall is in order.
    Member: Irish Guards-GH Division

I'll just add that his original thread talked alot about how he loved strength and conditionaling and that he may want to become a S&C Coach one day. Bennett is very ripped and bet he'll work as hard as anyone and probably longer hours than anyone in making his body as perfect as it can be.

KR?

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlaw View Post
    KR?
    Yes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast