Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Register to remove this advertisement
    I knew it was stoneys fault w the damned picnic tables.

Stoney, you're killing us. Get some help before you cost us another 5 star.

Gunner Kiel has 300-yard spring game at Cincinnati

Cincinnati wrapped up its spring practice schedule Saturday by putting on the annual spring game in Paul Brown Stadium, home of the Cincinnati Bengals. Quarterback Gunner Kiel led the first team offense and performed admirably by completing 17 of 22 pass attempts for 300 yards and one rushing touchdown. Kiel’s performance was the highlight of what turned out to be a comforting day for the offense, according to head coach Tommy Tuberville.

“I can sleep a little better now because last week we were just awful on offense,” Tuberville said. “We threw the ball well, protected, and we had a couple of offensive lineman out last week that really made a difference this week. We didn’t do as much defensively, but we still made plays on offense.”

Kiel, who transferred from Notre Dame a year ago, has not won the starting job though. Tuberville suggested the quarterback competition will continue this summer. Last year’s starter, Munchie Legaux, should get back in to the competition later this year as well, and he should not be forgotten. Legaux suffered a season-ending knee injury early last season against Illinois. Whatever happens, Kiel is confident in his ability and he appears to be driven.

“ I want to play perfect every game,” Kiel said. “I came out here with a chip on my shoulder to get better and compete have fun and play fast because that’s what we are good at. So it was fun. I definitely enjoyed my time and I’m ready for the season to begin.”

Cincinnati will play the entire 2014 season in Paul Brown Stadium while Nippert Stadium continues undergoing renovations.

saw a stat -- not sure if true -- that kiel has only finished 6 of the 12 games he's started due to various injuries
    | | Space reserved for Jersey's meat.

By John Taylor Aug 22, 2016, 5:33 PM CDT
    Gunner Kiel loses Cincinnati’s starting QB battle to Hayden Moore

The collegiate career of Gunner Kiel has hit yet another speed bump entering his last season.

Cincinnati announced that Hayden Moore will be the Bearcats’ starting quarterback moving forward. Moore and Kiel, a senior, had been engaged in a quarterback battle that began in the spring and continued on into the first portion of summer camp.

Moore’s consistency throughout the competition led to Tommy Tuberville pulling the trigger in his favor in a competition that also included Ros Trail..

“Hayden was our most consistent quarterback from spring football all the way through training camp,” the head coach said in a statement. “He gives us the best chance to win right now. Gunner Kiel and Ross Trail will continue to battle for the backup QB spot, but it’s important all three be ready to play when we kick this thing off in 10 days. It’s important to us to name a starter now so Hayden has some time working exclusively with the first-team offense to continue to develop timing and a comfort level with our offensive skill players.”

Moore started three games last season as a redshirt freshman, throwing for 1,683 yards and eight touchdowns. In relief of an injured Kiel, Moore passed for a school-record 557 yards in a loss to Memphis, then started the next two games. He also started the bowl game as Kiel didn’t play because of what were described as “personal problems.”

Kiel started all 13 games for the Bearcats in 2014, then started 10 in 2015 as he dealt with a head injury.

Kiel officially transferred to the Bearcats April 19, 2013, exactly one month after it was confirmed he was no longer a member of the Irish football program. He was originally an Indiana commit and then a LSU commit before he flipped his commitment to Notre Dame shortly before National Signing Day, prompting the Tigers’ head coach to take the low road when it came to the five-star prospect and introducing “chesticular fortitude” to the vernacular.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354