Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Register to remove this advertisement
    I wish him nothing but the best. I was hoping he would turn into an AP this past year. Obviously that didn't happen. His speed will help him out in the combine, but I think he is what he is... He's got great size and even better speed, but that doesn't mean much as we have seen.
    KeiVarae Russell: "When the coaches told me over the next few days in the film room that I was gonna start I was like ‘Uh Oh’.”

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
    Besides reports that Josh is staying at ND, it does not make sense for him to leave. He is a junior so he only has two more years to play no matter what. He can transfer, sit out his senior year and play his fifth year at wherever or he can play one more year at ND, get his degree, then "transfer" as a graduate student and play without sitting (ala Hendrix, etc.) . So the only way that he can play two more years of college football is if he stays and gets his ND degree. Otherwise he only has one year left.

The only other option would be for him to transfer to a FCS school (aka I-AA) where he could play for two more years starting next season but that does not give him a degree from ND.
    Yeah, I saw he was staying after I posted my original comments. Still, if my twin brother was going to play in the NFL and I knew that if I stayed at ND I'd never get a shot and I'd be watching him from the stands for the rest of if his career, then that would motivate me to do something about it. Possibly even got to an FCS school.

All that said, his friends and teammates are at ND and he'll leave with an ND degree, so I understand him staying as well.

Douglas Farmer@D_Farmer
    Reports indicate former #NotreDame RB George Atkinson does indeed land with his father's old team, the Raiders, as an undrafted free agent.
    7:43 PM - 10 May 2014

............................||| Notre Dame Notes Spreadsheet |||..........................

Raiders great George Atkinson is still active with the organization as a member of the broadcast team, and there’s certainly no place in the team facility he can’t go. That’s especially true of the practice field.

The legendary safety and return man purposefully stayed away from the opening practice of Raiders rookie minicamp, choosing to make Friday all about his son.

George Atkinson III worked out for the first time since signing as an undrafted free agent, hoping to make the 53-man roster as a running back and returner.

It was a proud day for this Raiders legacy, but Papa Atkinson wanted the spotlight focused.

“He told me yesterday, ‘I’m not going to come out. I know you’re expecting me to come, but this is your moment and you need to be a man about it as an individual and I’m not going to be here to pressure you or anything like that.’” Atkinson III said. “He’ll have a chance to come out and see me practice.”

He’ll have plenty of chances throughout the offseason program and training camp, once the dust settles some and Atkinson III gets into a groove.

The Raiders need a return man, giving Atkinson III a legitimate chance to reach the regular season with a strong camp and preseason.

He certainly has the credentials. Atkinson III averaged 24.3 yards per kickoff return and had two return touchdowns in his career at Notre Dame.

He left a year early, but went undrafted after seven rounds. The Raiders were quick to snatch him up, seeing potential in his special teams work. While some sons prefer to take their own path, Atkinson III took no issue with adding a generation to the Atkinson Raiders legacy.

“I’ve looked up to this organization and this club for a long time and there was no part of that going on with me,” Atkinson III said. “I’ve looked up to my dad and wanted to follow in his footsteps but also lead my own trail at the same time. You’ve got to find that balance, and that’s what I’m trying to do right now.”

Atkinson III is also a running back, but understands he must excel on all aspects to special teams to prove early worth on an increasingly talented roster.

The Raiders didn’t bring Atkinson III in as a favor to his father. They believe he has the skill set to contribute if he continues to improve throughout the offseason program.

“I think he’s a talented athlete and he’s got a lot of speed, and he has the ability to help us on special teams also,” Atkinson III said. “I think any time you have a chance to get a legacy, somebody who has the Raider bloodlines, you (do) it because those guys understand what it means to be a Raider,” head coach Dennis Allen said. “We were pleased we were able to bring him in here.”

After being waived by Raiders yesterday, he was signed by Browns.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021