Please Support Our Sponsors


Page 2 of 199 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1984

Thread: Brian Kelly

  1. #11
    Senior Member Irish#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    826

    Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanishElite View Post
    Just putting this out there...

    How is Brian Kelly any different from Dan Hawking at Colorado former BSU. Young coach, very good at a smaller school, goes to a big school and doesnt do crap.
    I just think everyone needs to slow on on this hire B. Kelly and all will work out and ND will be great again. There are lots of dominoes that have to fall is CW gets release.. one being what assistants are gone.
    It's fun to speculate. What I find funny, is the latest "hot coach of the year". It appears to be Kelly this year, but if his record was 7-3, it would be someone else. There are a lot of excellent coaches out there that don't have great records simply because they don't have the support of the school or the facilities to attract top level talent. Every big time coach you name was an unknown at some point. The bottom line is finding the right replacement regardless of his name or current school, if indeed CW is gone.
    We Are The Fighting Irish!
    Irish Guard - GH Division

  2. #12
    Senior Member wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rotterdam Holland
    Posts
    4,637
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanishElite View Post
    Just putting this out there...

    How is Brian Kelly any different from Dan Hawking at Colorado former BSU. Young coach, very good at a smaller school, goes to a big school and doesnt do crap.
    I just think everyone needs to slow on on this hire B. Kelly and all will work out and ND will be great again. There are lots of dominoes that have to fall is CW gets release.. one being what assistants are gone.
    he hasnt yet showed he wont work out. Your statement is like saying teams shouldnt be happy with 5* recruits cuz they dont always pan out. There is no such thing as pure certainty with coaches, certainly not in the case of ND, possibly the toughest head coaching job in the country. However Kelly has shown about as much as he could have shown thusfar (like Meyer with utah, like tressel with youngstown etc) and things are as or more likely to work out great with him as anyone else

  3. #13
    Senior Member SpanishElite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida by way of Eibar, Guipuzcoa Spain
    Posts
    6,849
    Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    he hasnt yet showed he wont work out. Your statement is like saying teams shouldnt be happy with 5* recruits cuz they dont always pan out. There is no such thing as pure certainty with coaches, certainly not in the case of ND, possibly the toughest head coaching job in the country. However Kelly has shown about as much as he could have shown thusfar (like Meyer with utah, like tressel with youngstown etc) and things are as or more likely to work out great with him as anyone else
    My point is there is all this talk about B. Kelly who has proven nothing on the big stage against solid competition. Jon Gruden (who I love) has never been a head coach in college and never recruited the type of players ND is going to need to win.

    I think both are very very good coaches.. but I just think that these things arent guaranteed. And know if CW is gone ND wont have 18 commits anymore, plus you have to think Tate, Clausen will definitely be gone. With Rudy and Floyd no doubt leaving the year after. And that doesnt count any of the young defensive guys who might transfer. There is a lot of back lash if CW is gone.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanishElite View Post
    Just putting this out there...

    How is Brian Kelly any different from Dan Hawking at Colorado former BSU. Young coach, very good at a smaller school, goes to a big school and doesnt do crap.
    I just think everyone needs to slow on on this hire B. Kelly and all will work out and ND will be great again. There are lots of dominoes that have to fall is CW gets release.. one being what assistants are gone.
    Just in case there are people still unaware of Kelly's record...Judge for yourselves:

    Brian Kelly coached at Grand Valley State University for 13 years and went 118-35-2. His 2001 team team averaged more than 50 points per game and set more than 70 records at the NCAA, conference and school level. He won the national championship twice at GVSU - 2001 and then again in 2003.

    From 2004 to 2006, Kelly took a CMU team that had only won more than 3 games once in the previous four seasons to a conference championship. LeFevour was his recruit.

    At Cincy - a team that had played around .500 the previous half dozen years, he's something like...35-6 over three years. He'll be playing for a second straight Big East championship this year, is undefeated, and seems headed for a BCS game.
    Last edited by BigIrish; 11-11-2009 at 03:32 PM.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanishElite View Post

    I think both are very very good coaches.. but I just think that these things arent guaranteed. And know if CW is gone ND wont have 18 commits anymore, plus you have to think Tate, Clausen will definitely be gone. With Rudy and Floyd no doubt leaving the year after. And that doesnt count any of the young defensive guys who might transfer. There is a lot of back lash if CW is gone.
    We see coaching changes take place every year. There are always a few transfers when these transitions take place. Why do we have any reason to think there would be some sort of mass defection from ND either among recruits or current players?

    We most certainly would lose a little. But we're most certainly losing out right now. Do you think 5 star guys that were already on the fence about the Irish felt comforted by a loss to Navy?

    The unfortunate part is that from here on out, there will be backlash whether Charlie stays or goes. Some will go in our favor, some won't.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,486
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanishElite View Post
    And know if CW is gone ND wont have 18 commits anymore, plus you have to think Tate, Clausen will definitely be gone. With Rudy and Floyd no doubt leaving the year after. And that doesnt count any of the young defensive guys who might transfer.
    There is probably some truth to this, SE, but you are overstating your case, I think. For example, I don't see any reason to think that it's more likely that Rudolph and Floyd would leave next year with a different coach than they already are. There would probably be some personnel turnover on the team, but it's pretty much impossible to say how much.

    Just for the record, there's no reason to say that we'd have to start from scratch. For example, here's how many seasons the coaches in the BCS championship have been with their respective teams:

    2008 Urban Meyer - 4th season from Utah
    2007 Les Miles - 3rd season from Oklahoma State
    2006 Urban Meyer - 2nd season from Utah
    2005 Mack Brown - 8th season from UNC
    2004 Pete Carroll - 4th season from NFL
    2003 Nick Saban - 4th season from Michigan State
    2002 Jim Tressell - 2nd season from Youngstown State
    2001 Larry Coker - 1st season, promoted from OC
    2000 Bob Stoops - 2nd season, DC at Florida
    1999 Bobby Bowden - 24th season from WVU
    1998 Phil Fulmer - 6th season(+4games), promoted from OC

    The average # years to national championship = 5.5
    If you eliminate Bowden, the average is 3.7
    The median is 4 years to a championship

    Here are the records of those coaches in their first two seasons at those schools:
    Meyer 22-4
    Miles 22-4
    Brown 18-8
    Carroll 17-8
    Saban 18-7
    Tressell 21-5
    Coker 24-1
    Stoops 20-5
    Bowden 15-8
    Fulmer 18-6

    Average record of championship coaches in first 2 season: 19.5 wins, 5.6 losses

  7. #17
    Senior Member lowayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_navy View Post
    There is probably some truth to this, SE, but you are overstating your case, I think. For example, I don't see any reason to think that it's more likely that Rudolph and Floyd would leave next year with a different coach than they already are. There would probably be some personnel turnover on the team, but it's pretty much impossible to say how much.

    Just for the record, there's no reason to say that we'd have to start from scratch. For example, here's how many seasons the coaches in the BCS championship have been with their respective teams:

    2008 Urban Meyer - 4th season from Utah
    2007 Les Miles - 3rd season from Oklahoma State
    2006 Urban Meyer - 2nd season from Utah
    2005 Mack Brown - 8th season from UNC
    2004 Pete Carroll - 4th season from NFL
    2003 Nick Saban - 4th season from Michigan State
    2002 Jim Tressell - 2nd season from Youngstown State
    2001 Larry Coker - 1st season, promoted from OC
    2000 Bob Stoops - 2nd season, DC at Florida
    1999 Bobby Bowden - 24th season from WVU
    1998 Phil Fulmer - 6th season(+4games), promoted from OC

    The average # years to national championship = 5.5
    If you eliminate Bowden, the average is 3.7
    The median is 4 years to a championship

    Here are the records of those coaches in their first two seasons at those schools:
    Meyer 22-4
    Miles 22-4
    Brown 18-8
    Carroll 17-8
    Saban 18-7
    Tressell 21-5
    Coker 24-1
    Stoops 20-5
    Bowden 15-8
    Fulmer 18-6

    Average record of championship coaches in first 2 season: 19.5 wins, 5.6 losses
    Very interesting post. Did you dig that all up yourself?
    "Doggonnit............The Lord gave you two legs, protect them" - Coach Hart

  8. #18
    Senior Member IrishinTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Posts
    4,541
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_navy View Post
    2008 Urban Meyer - 4th season from Utah

    2006 Urban Meyer - 2nd season from Utah
    uh oh, you typed his name TWICE. Marv is gonna be pissed.:bigsmile:
    Irish Guard - GH Division

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,486
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishinTN View Post
    uh oh, you typed his name TWICE. Marv is gonna be pissed.:bigsmile:
    That's not really a name, just a collection of symbols that happens to be associated with a particular "school" down south.

  10. #20
    Senior Member NotreDameNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,329
    I think if Kelly were to come to ND that recruiting damage would be minimalized due to his success. Anyone know how Cincy's recruiting class is shaping up for the year? I would think if he came on board that he would bring a few with him.
    KeiVarae Russell: "When the coaches told me over the next few days in the film room that I was gonna start I was like ‘Uh Oh’.”

Page 2 of 199 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2016, 02:58 AM
  2. Irish Sports Daily: Brian Kelly Introduces Brian VanGorder ($)
    By Svoboda in forum Notre Dame News & Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •