Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 101 of 201 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2007

Thread: Brian Kelly

Register to remove this advertisement
    im actually more pissed off at the lynch decommit than anything right about now...pick 6 and punt return cost us this game...this recruiting class needs to hold and add...kelly better have his ass on that ND jet and be in every recruits living room between now and the utah game.
    “We GUNNA Be Beast!!"

ndamer
    Thanks, long time reader first time poster...enjoy this site much more than the other one!

Quote Originally Posted by NDisNCin2010 View Post
    does NBC have to show Kelly screaming and shouting on the sidelines after every damn play that goes wrong?
    i mean c'mon their making the guy out to be woody hayes+bill cowher with all the screaming at the players...i really dont want to see all that...and i dont think the parents of 17 yr old recruits and the recruits themselves do either.
    just show us the damn game.
    enough already NBC.
    I think it's more to show the contrast in coaching styles of Kelly vs. CW than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NDgrandson View Post
    Devils Advocate (BK's advocate)

So Tulsa takes a timeout and I am sure was told to stuff the run up the middle. Cierre Wood has not run the ball up the middle well, ever. So we try that a couple times and assuming we don't fumble, we lose 5 to gain 5 yards. Ruffer is then kicking a 35 -40 yard field goal. There is a chance he misses. If he does, we are all saying, "Give your playmaker a shot. He is being covered by a midget!"

The throw was horrible, but if Rees tries that throw 10 times I bet it gets completed 5 times and is incomplete 4.
    I agree great call poor execution.....Kelly cant coach and play.......We basically have two formations for running the ball neither involves a lead blocker so IMO I dont think we get anything positive on the run. Not sure of the time out situation at that point but incomplete pass does stop the clock as well.

The only thing worse than philosophizing about losses is making excuses. If the reason for not playing for a FG attempt was the wind doesn't that same wind apply to the QB attempting a pass into the end zone. If that is the case then what is a more logical decision letting a kicker who has never missed a FG attempt kick into that wind or letting a true Freshman QB throw into it. You decide. Kelly screwed up plain and simple and although he has not copped to that he is also not making excuses for his decision so I'm not really sure why we would be trying to make excuses for him.

we had at least two timeouts.

i thought the call was puzzling right after the game, but after thinking on it a bit, i think it's something that we're just going to have to get used to. i haven't seen anybody comment on the fact that after the crist injury, kelly threw in rees and continued to call plays every bit as aggressively as he did when crist was in the game. even the announcers commented on the fact that kelly didn't appear to have restricted the playcalling with rees in the game.

although maddeningly frustrating on saturday, there's something to be said for kelly's commitment to aggressive playcalling. just 12 short months ago, i can assure you that weis would have lost the game, and that the majority of the posters would have been griping about weis going all vanilla after the loss of such a critical player. i recall time and time again when posters pulled their hair out over weis going into a shell once he had the lead and playing to preserve the lead, which usually resulted in losing the lead.

so in that sense, we've gotten our wish. we have a coach who is going to be aggressive with his playcalling and stick to his "next man in" philosophy. we can't have it both ways. my advice is to try and find some encouragement that our coach is making errors on the side of being too aggressive rather than too conservative, because we've all seen how that plays out. perhaps kelly deserves a chance to show us what he can do over the long term.

edit: i honestly hadn't read kelly's quotes about "getting used to it" in regards to the playcalling. perhaps i was stating the obvious in this post.
    Last edited by BigIrish; 11-01-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigIrish View Post
    we had at least two timeouts.

i thought the call was puzzling right after the game, but after thinking on it a bit, i think it's something that we're just going to have to get used to. i haven't seen anybody comment on the fact that after the crist injury, kelly threw in rees and continued to call plays every bit as aggressively as he did when crist was in the game. even the announcers commented on the fact that kelly didn't appear to have restricted the playcalling with rees in the game.

although maddeningly frustrating on saturday, there's something to be said for kelly's commitment to aggressive playcalling. just 12 short months ago, i can assure you that weis would have lost the game, and that the majority of the posters would have been griping about weis going all vanilla after the loss of such a critical player. i recall time and time again when posters pulled their hair out over weis going into a shell once he had the lead and playing to preserve the lead, which usually resulted in losing the lead.

so in that sense, we've gotten our wish. we have a coach who is going to be aggressive with his playcalling and stick to his "next man in" philosophy. we can't have it both ways. my advice is to try and find some encouragement that our coach is making errors on the side of being too aggressive rather than too conservative, because we've all seen how that plays out. perhaps kelly deserves a chance to show us what he can do over the long term.
    This is more or less what Kelly's stance has been on his decision and while we may not agree with that decision I do respect him for it and from what I have read he does not mention the wind at all as the reason for his playcalling.

However the bottom line is that there are times that as a Head Coach you do need to temper your natural aggressive stance as an Offensive Play caller, and this is one time where Head Coach Kelly should have told play caller Kelly to be more conservative. Kelly acknowledged that inherent conflict of being both the HC and the play caller after the Tulsa game, although he still said that in both capacities he would make the same decision.

Here is the problem though with that decision. Head Coach Kelly had just prior to the Tulsa game talked about the importance of this ND team playing in a bowl game this year and with very difficult games ahead against Utah, USC, and yes even Army, as the Head Coach he should have tempered his natural aggressiveness as a play caller to see more clearly the bigger picture here that he himself had talked about prior to the game.

So as I said because of his success as a Head Coach I fully respect his decison, but I also believe that it was a bonehead decision in light of where the ND football program is right now. Hopefully despite the bluster Kelly also realizes that in this particular instance that decision was a mistake, learns from it, and moves on.

i don't disagree with that, IUB.

for the life of me, i cannot recall the specific play, but when kelly was playing BC in his opening game of his third year at CMU - the year that dan lefevour was tossed into the game early because of a hard collision to the starting qb early in the game - kelly made a play call that lost the game for CMU.

i can't remember what that call was...cmu was within a field goal, had the ball at the end of the game, and was moving the ball...kelly called some sort of trick play or something that was blown up and directly contributed to the loss. it was among the few plays for CMU that was featured in the national media that year.

it was such a bad call that i distinctly remember thinking to myself that kelly had just cost himself the MSU job, a job that was widely expected to become vacant by the year's end an was ultimately filled by dantonio, who kelly then replaced at Cincy.

i don't know if there's a lesson to be learned there or not, but i do recall that kelly went on to have a very successful season at CMU, winning the MAC championship after at least a decade long drought and having been picked near the bottom of the conference during the preseason.

i didn't watch kelly closely in his years at Cincy, but my gut tells me that when kelly gets his system to "click" with his players, he is rewarded more often than not with success for gutsy playcalling. that doesn't mean that he made the right call on saturday, but it does give me a positive feeling moving forward that kelly still has the ability to turn this team around and find success.

i've said it before, and i'm far from the first person to say it, but coaches live and die by the decisions they make on the field. if the play works, you're a hero. if it fails, you're a villain. as i think was mentioned earlier, nobody was second guessing urban meyer in his win over georgia on saturday where he made an identical decision at the end of the game. the difference is that he won. mark dantonio's legacy at MSU will be highlighted by his gutsy fake field goal at the end of the game against ND this year, but had he failed to pick up 4th and 13 on the fake, the patrons of east lansing would have burned his house down. (don't think they're not capable of it)
    Last edited by BigIrish; 11-01-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Yep we can only hope for the best going forward. What other choice do we have anyway.

I disagree though as far as the Urban analogy goes. Although the game circumstances were the same the program differences between ND and UF right now are vastly different. Despite the 3 losses this year those 2 NC's give Urbie a lot more latitude to take that chance than Kelly has right now, and in addition UF was playing UGA, not Tulsa. Even if Urbie had failed, a loss to UGA in a big time annual rivalry game would have been a lot more palatable to the UF fan base than a loss to a non-BCS program (who had not beaten a BCS program in 13 years before Saturday) like Tulsa, especially if that loss was at home.

Balls to the wall.... I like the call.

Its not like it cost us the season, that was already gone.

He did a good job in coaching up Rees after the throw and not tearing into him as well