Not a Supporting Member?

Become a Gold Club Supporting Member to remove this box and all other advertisments! Only $15 per year. Click HERE for more info!

Page 1 of 197 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly

Register to remove this advertisement
    Ok, whatever happens, happens. I'm not saying Weis deserves to be here or not and I don't want this to be brought up either... there are enough of those threads.

If in fact Weis isn't coaching next year I have slowly thought about Kelly being the ND coach. There is a bit of intrigue to say the least.

My question is is if we swing and miss on Kelly then would you rather have Weis or somebody else? I just hear a lot of talk about Kelly, but not much after that.

This discussion may be taking place in a different thread, if so, I apologize.
    KeiVarae Russell: "When the coaches told me over the next few days in the film room that I was gonna start I was like ‘Uh Oh’.”

Some of the other names out there (other than Stoops and he who will never coach at ND):

Gary Patterson - TCU head coach

Jon Gruden

Paul Johnson

I personally don't like the idea of Johnson coming in although I know some others would enjoy having him at ND.

Gruden I am skeptical on and I'm not sure how the players would take to him.

Patterson I would be happy with - defensive minded coach and TCU has done pretty well on offense, too, recently. Understands the private school mentallity and has ties to Texas which could help ND get a foothold down there.

There are some other names being thrown around, but I think these are the main ones...Yet none of this is coming from Swarbrick so the list could be different.

This was posted on another site about Patterson and Stoops:
    Patterson comes from defensive coaching background and his defensive coordinator has ND roots and is nominated as assistant of the year nearly every year. The DC, Dick Bumpas, was known other then Bryant Young's dline coach in 91 and 92. This guy Patterson seems to always have a hard nosed defense, which seems to be our #1 missing element right now.

In the case of Stoops, he comes from Catholic/Midwest roots and is reaching an "end of the honeymoon" stage with the Oklahoma faithful. He situation looks a like Holtz in 96, in that he won the NC early in his stint and now is beat up for anything less then top 5 seasons. Could not ask for a better season to give him a call and ask if he wants a change in scenary.
    I don't really like how he words the Stoops part cause it makes ND sound like South Carolina...although I suppose you could argue that that may be the case.

I wouldn't mind seeing:
    Patterson - HC
    Bumpas - DC/LB coach
    Brown - DB coach
    Hart/Young - Dline

That *should* lead to an improved defense.

On offense I would definitely like to see at least Verducci and Alford retained.

i wouldnt mind chris peterson either, the boise state head coach.
    My top a few:
    1 Brian Kelly
    2 Chuckie Gruden
    3 Chris Peterson
    4 Gary Patterson
    5 Herm Edwards

Well, regardless of what happens at ND, Brian Kelly won't be the head coach at Cincy past the 2010 season. If he doesn't come to ND, I pray that he doesn't go to a team we play every year because he'll be a headache as an opposing coach.

I would hate to lose the connection Polian has to recruits in CA and HI.

Brian Kelly
    Charlie
    I have not heard a third option yet that I like
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the great sig Griff!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDgrandson View Post
    I would hate to lose the connection Polian has to recruits in CA and HI.
    If Charlie is released, it's not an automatic that all the assistants would be gone too. It's not uncommon for a new coach to retain some staff members. As a recruiter, Polian could probably get a job on just about anyone's staff - I would think he'd have a good shot staying at ND if he wanted.

Just putting this out there...

How is Brian Kelly any different from Dan Hawking at Colorado former BSU. Young coach, very good at a smaller school, goes to a big school and doesnt do crap.
    I just think everyone needs to slow on on this hire B. Kelly and all will work out and ND will be great again. There are lots of dominoes that have to fall is CW gets release.. one being what assistants are gone.

Good point SE. I would like to think ND might be able to get a better caliber per player than CU, but that doesn't always mean what we think it should either. I guess right now I wouldn't be unhappy if we went with Kelly, as long as Weis is not retained. After that though I'm with Win4Gipper. I think I would rather have CW than some of the other coach's named.
    KeiVarae Russell: "When the coaches told me over the next few days in the film room that I was gonna start I was like ‘Uh Oh’.”

Page 1 of 197 1231151101 ... LastLast