Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Final Analysis of the 2009 Offer List

Register to remove this advertisement
    Now that Toma is Irish that completes the 2009 Offerís.

Some thoughts and some numbers to crunch on the 2009 recruiting class.

The 2009 Recruiting Class received 81 ND offers with 18 total commits, a 22.2 % success rate. That success rate is well below the 2008 Class where 69 offers went out with 23 commits, a pretty amazing 33.3% success rate.

However, considering the obstacles of a 3-9 season followed by a disappointing end to the 2009 regular season, plus the fact that the 2009 class had many fewer guys who were ND leans from the get go, the 22.2% success rate is not too shabby. It is also most likely one of the highest in the entire FBS as ND traditionally offers a lot less recruits than most schools.

In his presser Charlie did an even better spin on the numbers by pointing out that of the 27 Official Visitors for ND in this class, he was able to get commitments from 17, actually 19 if you count that the 2 de-commits were also Official Visitors. That is a very impressive success rate if you look at it in a vacuum. Also of the 8 guys who did take Official Visits and never committed to ND, I now believe only Starling, Gaffney, and Bonds had a genuine interest in ND. The other five were a flake (Moore) who was doing his friend a favor, a Buckeye fan (Custis) who was playing with ND throughout, and 3 curiosity seekers (Opurum, Ikard, and Carson) who had already made up their minds to go elsewhere at the point in time that they visited ND. Taken in that context Charlie received verbal commits from 19 of the 22 guys who took Official Visits and were seriously interested in ND. That is a testament to three things, the hard work of the ND staff, their ability to identify their best hopes and get them on campus, and most of all a great testament to the amazing recruiting tool that is the ND campus itself, the best college game day campus, bar none, in the country.

Now, for every statistic that can be spun there is always another side. You also have to take into account that the staff was only able to convince 1/3 of the recruits that they offered to even take an Official ND visit. Granted they probably did not work all that hard on getting visits from some of these kids who they identified as reaches early on, but nonetheless only 27 Official Visits is not a great number. For example when Kiffin had his Rocky Top festival two weekends before NSD he had 20 Official Visitors on that one weekend alone.

Ok enough on that. Here is the breakdown by school and by conference of where the 63 ND offered recruits for the Class of 2009 who committed elsewhere ended up on NSD.

Ohio State 6
    LSU 5
    USC 5
    Florida 4
    Michigan 4
    UCLA 3
    Stanford 3
    Penn State 3
    Oklahoma 3
    Wisconsin 2
    Georgia 2
    Miami 2
    Texas 2
    Texas A&M 2
    Northwestern 2
    Alabama 2
    TCU 1
    Va Tech 1
    Kansas 1
    Maryland 1
    Colorado 1
    Illinois 1
    Arizona State 1
    Rutgers 1
    UNLV 1
    Texas Tech 1
    South Carolina 1
    Tennessee 1
    Florida State 1

BIG TEN 18
    SEC 15
    PAC TEN 12
    BIG TWELVE 10
    ACC 5
    MTN WEST 2
    BIG EAST 1

Some final thoughts on the oneís we missed out on.

1) The total of 63 who went elsewhere is spread among 29 schools, all 6 BCS Conferences, and the Mountain West conference. ND is still by far the #1 school in terms of the scope and succes of their National Recruiting.

2) It is not surprising that Ohio State nabbed the highest amount in this group. The Buckeyes have supplanted scUM as Notre Dameís biggest recruiting competitor. What is surprising is that LSU, USC, and Florida also had as many or more commits to them of kids with ND offers as did scUM. Still considering the number of 2009 ND offers, to only lose a maximum of 6 to one school is a pretty solid stat.

3) Although ND lost only 4 offers to scUM in 2009, they were 4 of particular hurt as all of them were from the trenches, Campbell, Roh, LaLota, and Schofield, and 3 of the 4 were guys with profiles that ND usually has better success with.

4) On a conference level it is again not surprising that the Big 10 nabbed the highest number of recruits that went elsewhere. Despite the fact that ND is a national recruiting school the Midwest is still the #1 recruiting area for the Irish. What is surprising however is that the SEC was so close to the Big Ten in that area.

5) The numbers donít lie and the numbers say that the ND staff offers a tremendously high percentage of quality recruits. 61 of the 63 recruits with ND offers who committed elsewhere committed to BCS conference schools. There were only two who did not, Casey Pachall to TCU, and Jordan Barrett to UNLV,

Thatís it. There is not much more to say about the numbers as they relate to the 2009 recruiting class. Onward to 2010.

Griff Cannon
    thanks IUB glad to see the success rate especially with the ones who come in for official visits. After Teo who would you say had the toughest time picking us and who the toughest time not picking us of those who committed else where?
    Last edited by Griff Cannon; 02-06-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Cannon View Post
    thanks IUB glad to see the success rate especially with the ones who come in for official visits. After Teo who would you say had the toughest time picking us and who the toughest time not picking us?
    Im not IUB obviously, but toughest time not would have to be Golic. Other than Teo, I would say hardest picking us would be Shaq. Just because of his location and his prior commitment to USC.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishElite View Post
    Im not IUB obviously, but toughest time not would have to be Golic. Other than Teo, I would say hardest picking us would be Shaq. Just because of his location and his prior commitment to USC.
    On toughest not picking us I think he means a guy that went elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    On toughest not picking us I think he means a guy that went elsewhere.
    Of course. haha. I should have let you answer! :bigsmile:

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Cannon View Post
    thanks IUB glad to see the success rate especially with the ones who come in for official visits. After Teo who would you say had the toughest time picking us and who the toughest time not picking us?
    I'm going to go with Watt as the guy who had the toughest time picking ND. Watt was genuinely torn between ND and OSU and I think that was reflected in his looking around a bit at the end. Now that he is Irish though I am sure he will be a great player for ND for the next 4 years and a great asset to the school for year's beyond that.

As far as guys who did not pick us Starling would pop in my head first because he was the most recent, but I have a feeling that his interest in ND was more parent than self driven. I'm going to have to go with a tie in that category between Bonds and Gaffney. If both of those guys did not have extremely impressive alternatives I believe they would have ended up Irish.

Oh and one more note on that subject. I'll add a category. The guy who was given the most hard time for not picking ND is LaLota in a landslide. I'll bet he took a lot of good natured abuse from Stockton.

Griff Cannon
    Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    Oh and one more note on that subject. I'll add a category. The guy who was given the most hard time for not picking ND is LaLota in a landslide. I'll bet he took a lot of good natured abuse from Stockton.
    yeah I wouldn't be surprised, he is going to be good too.

IUB, offhand, do you know who the 2 were that we lost to miami?

hardest time not picking us: schrive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast