Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018-2019 Notre Dame Basketball Thread

Register to remove this advertisement
    Has anyone ever heard of Radford?

Wow.

Hopefully, Brey will have some time to get the lineup figured out before conference play. The returning starters have been unimpressive. I was hoping Pflueger would finally put it all together. Haven’t seen that yet. Gibbs struggling w/ his shot tonight.

On the bright side, Mooney went off. I know Brey is loyal to his vets, but if they’re going to be competitive, he may need to open up all the starting positions for whoever can win the job.

Community Moderator Jiggafini19's Avatar
    They're not going to be very good, which means they'll get attention since most of their fans don't talk about them when they win. They will be in the bottom third of the ACC. Dust off the "Fire Mike Brey" lawn signs from last midterm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggafini19 View Post
    They're not going to be very good, which means they'll get attention since most of their fans don't talk about them when they win. They will be in the bottom third of the ACC. Dust off the "Fire Mike Brey" lawn signs from last midterm.
    You’re probably right. I’m okay with a down season b/c it should be a down season after what they’ve lost. I’m looking forward to see what the new kids can do b/c that’s the future. If Pflueger & Gibbs can improve than all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDodger View Post
    You’re probably right. I’m okay with a down season b/c it should be a down season after what they’ve lost. I’m looking forward to see what the new kids can do b/c that’s the future. If Pflueger & Gibbs can improve than all the better.
    Radford is a fairly decent mid major team in recent years. ND destroyed UIC and Chicago State the first two games. Everyone is wrapped up in football this year since they're unbeaten.

The ACC is going to be tough this year, and Duke is about as good as any team out there with those freshmen. I haven't seen ND picked higher than 10th in the conference.

Radford is a fairly decent mid major team in recent years. ND destroyed UIC and Chicago State the first two games. Everyone is wrapped up in football this year since they're unbeaten.

The ACC is going to be tough this year, and Duke is about as good as any team out there with those freshmen. I haven't seen ND picked higher than 10th in the conference.
    Yes, I saw Radford won 20+ games last year so we hear their name come tourney time. Most ND fans are riding the football high. When that wears off, they’ll pay more attention.

Duke looks sick. Zion Williamson looks like he should’ve skipped college altogether. Every basketball junkie I know says he’s been doing the same thing for years but to see it on the major D1 level thus far is legit.

Michigan looks scary good as well. Wow.

Notre Dame beat William & Mary yesterday.

They won and it wasn’t at Fenway Park, so no one cared.

Bire Mike Frey.

Notre Dame beat William & Mary yesterday.

They won and it wasn’t at Fenway Park, so no one cared.

Bire Mike Frey.
    I went to the game yesterday and will tell you that this team is just not as good as the last couple of teams. Going to be a tough year for them in the ACC.

Expectations should be low. They’re clearly younger and less experienced.

Breaking: Notre Dame tri-captain Elijah Burns leaves men's basketball program

This one escalated/deteriorated quickly.

Eleven days after insisting that he’d do anything needed to ensure the success of the Notre Dame men’s basketball team, that it was all about the team and not about him in any way, shape or form, power forward Elijah Burns has had a change of heart. A big change of heart.

This week, Burns made a decision that was all about him.

Named a team captain prior to the start of the season, Burns has decided to leave the program only four games into the year. The school announced the decision Tuesday morning in a press release.

Burns will seek an immediate transfer. Scheduled to graduate in December, Burns might be able to find a new school, apply for immediate eligibility and play the second half of the season elsewhere.

Burns had two seasons of eligibility remaining at the start of the season. He was not immediately available for comment. Irish coach Mike Brey issued a standard sentence about wishing Burns the best in a university-issued press release.

“We fully support Elijah in his decision to move on from the University of Notre Dame following his graduation in December. We will provide any assistance he may need as he takes the next step in his academic and playing careers. It is always tough when one of our guys doesn’t end his career here, but we are proud that he will achieve the ultimate goal of any student-athlete that comes through our program — to leave Notre Dame with a degree from one of the top institutions in the country.”

Brey will discuss Burns’ situation further following Tuesday’s home game against Duquesne.

Burns was at his best on Nov. 9 in a 27-point victory over Chicago State. He came off the bench and scored a career-high 15 points with five rebounds in 17 minutes. He moved into the starting lineup the following game against Radford, but that stay was short-lived. He played 12 scoreless minutes in the loss to the Highlanders, then played four scoreless minutes in Saturday’s victory over William & Mary.

That’s when he apparently had had enough and decided it was time for a fresh start.

Seeing his role waver was nothing new for Burns. Last October, Brey touted the native of Troy, N.Y., as the team’s sixth man. He played a lot early in the year, then not so much as the season unfolded. He played 10.6 minutes in 29 games with one start. He averaged 2.3 points and 2.3 rebounds.

Burns insists last week that the constant guessing game with the Irish rotation — Brey has fielded three starting lineup the first four games — was good for the Irish and good for him. He said he loved the competition it created in practice. He loved that no one really could get comfortable in being a starter because there were so many moving parts and pieces to the puzzle.

"I love it," Burns said of the rotation following the Chicago State game. "Competition is what I thrive on. You know you're going to get an opportunity if you have a good week of practice. It keeps us together."

Burns sat out his freshman season in 2015-16 to preserve a year of eligibility. His departure leaves the program with only one member of that signing class — senior captain Rex Pflueger. The other, swingman Matt Ryan, transferred to Vanderbilt following his sophomore year. Ryan now starts for the Commodores.

Burns’ departure leaves the Irish with 10 available scholarship players. That likely will change. Notre Dame planned to put freshman power forward Chris Doherty on the five-year plan. Doherty did not dress in uniform in any of the first four games. He’s expected to be in uniform Tuesday, though may play only in an emergency situation.

Notre Dame has three scholarships to offer potential late-rising seniors or transfers in the spring. Coming off last year’s five-man freshman class, Notre Dame did not sign anyone when last week’s early-signing period opened.

tnoie@ndinsider.com

(574) 235-6153

Twitter: @tnoieNDI

Brey's worst season at ND was 2013-14 with a 15-17 record, 6-12 in the ACC.

This season might very well eclipse that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast