Please Support Our Sponsors

Mike Elko leaving Notre Dame for Texas A&M

Register to remove this advertisement
    Irish Illustrated and 247Sports have learned that Notre Dame defensive coordinator Mike Elko will leave South Bend for the same position at Texas A&M.

Elko leaves South Bend following his one and only season with the Fighting Irish and will lead the defense under new Aggies head coach Jimbo Fisher.

The 40-year old was a terrific hire by Notre Dame one year ago. He changed the defensive culture a great deal and improved the overall play of the defense in a short amount of time. The defense finished No. 31 in the nation last year, which was an improvement from No. 31 overall the season before his arrival.

Off the field, Elko was a tremendous recruiter for the Fighting Irish and played a major role in landing four-star defensive back Houston Griffith and four-star linebacker Jack Lamb, two Under Armour All-Americans, as well as four-star safety Derrik Allen, four-star defensive tackle Jayson Ademilola and four-star linebacker Shayne Simon, a trio of prospects that were named U.S. Army All-Americans.

***MORE***

dammit!!!

Well, crap. TAMU writing blank checks for new coaches it seems. They are going to be VERY impatient going forward with the kind of money they are spending. Of course, I think Jimbo is locked in for 10 years...

| | Space reserved for Jersey's meat.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_navy View Post
    Of course, I think Jimbo is locked in for 10 years...
    Locked in doesn’t exist anymore...
    Home Sweet Dome 3

Crap...i was hoping it was a crazy rumor...now i wonder who will be next? Elston finally gets promoted?

Sources: Notre Dame to promote linebackers coach Clark Lea to defensive coordinator

ATLANTA – Notre Dame will look internally for its next defensive coordinator. Multiple sources told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday morning that the Fighting Irish will elevate linebackers coach Clark Lea to replace Mike Elko as the school’s defensive coordinator. The sources indicated that the deal has not been completed, but Lea will be promoted in the near future.

***MORE***

Very good news, if true. This will ensure continuity and hopefully avoid any defections.

It's official, Clark Lea is the new DC & LB coach.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/s...010918aab.html

Hope this works out. Agree that it is a good thing continuity, but I'm concerned with his lack of DC experience. Obviously, the S coach hire is extremely important at this point.