Please Support Our Sponsors

Gold Club Member

Post Game Observations (UGA 2017)...

Register to remove this advertisement
    What a heartbreaking loss! Seriously. This could have been a win so easily. This one has got to hurt the team pretty badly. A win tonight, no matter how ugly, would have really elevated the status of this program, and would have shut down at least some of the haters.

1. Unfortunately, this loss comes down to one aspect. Our O Line got whipped. They got whipped on Pass Protection, and they got whipped on Run Blocking. It's hard to explain; this O Line is incredibly talented, and I don't think tonight's performance is anything more than an aberration. But you have to give Georgia credit; they took it to them, and won the battle............ all night long.

2. I don't think it helped, that the game plan early seemed intent on putting the offense on Brandon Wimbush's shoulders. I felt like there were too many QB runs and zone reads. I wish we would have just lined up and ran power more. I also thought Wimbush played a bit scared, in the first half. He gave the ball away on the zone read, a couple of times, when I thought he obviously should have kept it. There was also one 3rd down throw that he made, but short of the 1st down; it looked like he was trying to get rid of the ball too quickly, and had he waited for the inside receiver to make it to the second window, he would have had an easy completion for a 1st down. I think tonight was Wimbush's "first start performance".

3. It wasn't the difference in the game, but I thought that the turning point was Okwara's "late hit" on the QB. Georgia should have been punting after that play. Instead, they get a first down. The next play is a big run for them, aided by a 15 yard facemask penalty. The end result was Georgia scoring a touchdown to go ahead, 17-16. That changed the momentum big time. And the "late hit" was total BS.

4. The bright spot of the night should be the defense. This defense is not the same bumbling, semi-incompetent defense that we have seen in recent years. They made plays, especially on 3rd down(Georgia was 4/18 on 3rd down); they created turnovers(1 INT and 1Fumble Recovery); and they got to the QB(2 sacks). It's not like they shut down a high powered offense like Oregon, but they did limit "the best RB duo in the country" to less than 100 yards each. And it certainly appears like they have found a playmaker in Drue Tranquill.

5. Justin Yoon has released a 3 word statement that perfectly sums up his night: "Suck it, haters!" Great job, Justin. Keep on keepin' on.

I feel a whole lot better about the rest of the games on the schedule after tonight. This game, from ND, probably beats every other opponent on the schedule. Kiss your wives and kids tonight, hopefully your NFL team wins tomorrow(unless you are a Browns fan), and look forward to the rest of the season. It will be over before we know it, and we will be wishing we had just one more game, even if it was a close loss to a good team.

USC would be the only roster the rest of the way that could beat that team that night.

With you all the way with the exception of how they handled Wimbush. Think they put too much on his plate regarding the read option game. I get that they didn't want him thinking too much and throwing 4 INTs right out of the chute, but we are talking about a 3rd year player after all. They needed to try to stretch the field more, and in THAT regard I don't know that they gave him a whole lot of rope. Part of that was probably a weak receiving group that didn't include the best athletes on the field, but even so. He's not going to grow as a passer with what kind of passing plays they dusted off last night.

Defense looked like a defense. Irritating that they didn't figure out that Fromm was never going to run on the "read option" looks you saw until later in the game, but even so, better tackling, better assignment soundness by and large.

Lots of good take aways from this one, but it is tough to swallow a 1 point nail biter at a home game that wasn't a home game.
    I treasure my remark to a grandson who asked, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" "No", I answered, "But I served in a company of heroes".

- Richard D. Winters, Easy Co. 501st

Good observations Moose. I was screamng for more Power all night. Why try to get to the edge vs those athletes. Wimbush looked lost. The OL did him no favors.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDodger View Post
    Good observations Moose. I was screamng for more Power all night. Why try to get to the edge vs those athletes. Wimbush looked lost. The OL did him no favors.
    Not sure power woulda helped...5, 6, or 7 vs 8.

Wimbush needed to connect to keep that D honest...he was unable to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVEMYIRISH View Post
    Not sure power woulda helped...5, 6, or 7 vs 8.

Wimbush needed to connect to keep that D honest...he was unable to do that.
    I think the lack of power separates ND from an offense truly committed to the run. Those teams dont give up after a few stuffs (ala UGA last night). They chip away & then bust a big gain. ND's OL was in a better position to go forward vs edge rushing b/c UGA had the superior speed on their D vs NDs OL.

Georgia's OL was maligned last year and headed into this game. Yes, ND OL faced a better defense, but UGA OL did enough to pick up some big gains on their two TD drives.

You're not supposed to say things like this, but that BS late hit decided the game.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDodger View Post
    Georgia's OL was maligned last year and headed into this game. Yes, ND OL faced a better defense, but UGA OL did enough to pick up some big gains on their two TD drives.
    They had a better passer ;-)

I'm back from Poland...what did I miss?