Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rivals/Scout/ESPN150 on ND Commits (2009 Class Final)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Last year the rankings for ND commits by Scout, Rivals, and even ESPN were virtually identical on a summary basis, and did not have a whole lot of significant discrepancies within individual recruits. This year is pretty much the same on a summary basis, but with the exception of Wood, Watt, and Stockton there is some substantial differences of opinion on individual recruits.

For the purpose of this comparison I am excluding the two kickers, and have converted the ESPN rankings into their star equivalent on Rivals/Scout. It should also be noted that 9 of the 11 non-kickers are ranked on at least one of the three boards. Only Eifert & Golic are excluded.

Here is the way the 11 look on each board:

Rivals/R250Rank/Star Rating
    Cierre Wood 3 5*
    Chris Watt 46 High 4*
    Marlon Pollard 138 Mid 4*
    Theo Riddick 150 Mid 4*
    Tyler Stockton 164 Low 4*
    Alex Bullard 207 Low 4*
    Dan Fox 249 Low 4*
    Zach Martin NR Low 4*
    Carlo Calabrese NR High 3*
    Tyler Eifert NR Mid 3*
    Jake Golic NR High 2*

Scout/S300Rank/Star Rating
    Cierre Wood 15 5*
    Chris Watt 46 5*
    Tyler Stockton 103 4*
    Alex Bullard 156 4*
    Marlon Pollard 187 4*
    Carlo Calabrese 209 4*
    Theo Riddick 226 4*
    Dan Fox NR 3*
    Zach Martin NR 3*
    Tyler Eifert NR 3*
    Jake Golic NR 3*

ESPN/E150Rank/Eq. Star Ranking
    Cierre Wood 23 5*
    Tyler Stockton 32 5*
    Chris Watt 68 4*
    Zach Martin 105 4*
    Tyler Eifert NR 4*
    Marlon Pollard NR 3*
    Theo Riddick NR 3*
    Carlo Calabrese NR 3*
    Alex Bullard NR 3*
    Jake Golic NR 3*
    Dan Fox NR 3*

Star Ratings Summary.

Rivals- One 5 star , Seven 4 stars, Two 3 stars, and One 2 star = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.73

Scout- = Two 5 stars , Five 4 stars, and Four 3 stars = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.82

ESPN 150- Two 5 stars, Three 4 stars, and Six 3 stars = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.64
    Last edited by irishunclebill; 08-07-2008 at 11:13 PM.

For the purpose of this comparison I am excluding the two kickers, and have converted the ESPN rankings into their star equivalent on Rivals/Scout. It should also be noted that 10 of the 12 non-kickers are ranked on at least one of the three boards. Only Eifert & Golic are excluded.

Here is the way the 12 look on each board:

Cierre Wood 3 5*
    Chris Watt 46 High 4*
    Marlon Pollard 138 Mid 4*
    Theo Riddick 150 Mid 4*
    Tyler Stockton 164 Low 4*
    Alex Bullard 207 Low 4*
    Dan Fox 249 Low 4*
    Zach Martin NR Low 4*
    E.J. Banks NR High 3*
    Tyler Eifert NR Mid 3*
    Jake Golic NR High 2*

Cierre Wood 15 5*
    Chris Watt 46 5*
    Tyler Stockton 103 4*
    Alex Bullard 156 4*
    Marlon Pollard 187 4*
    Carlo Calabrese 209 4*
    Theo Riddick 226 4*
    Dan Fox NR 3*
    E.J. Banks NR 3*
    Zach Martin NR 3*
    Tyler Eifert NR 3*
    Jake Golic NR 3*

Cierre Wood 23 5*
    Tyler Stockton 32 5*
    Chris Watt 68 4*
    Zach Martin 105 4*
    E.J. Banks 131 4*
    Tyler Eifert NR 4*
    Marlon Pollard NR 3*
    Theo Riddick NR 3*
    Carlo Calabrese NR 3*
    Alex Bullard NR 3*
    Jake Golic NR 3*
    Dan Fox NR 3*

Star Ratings Summary.

Rivals- One 5 star , Seven 4 stars, Three 3 stars, and One 2 star = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.67

Scout- = Two 5 stars , Five 4 stars, and Five 3 stars = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.75

ESPN 150- Two 5 stars, Four 4 stars, and Six 3 stars = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.67

Updated for E.J. Banks commit.

For the purpose of this comparison I am excluding the two kickers, and have converted the ESPN rankings into their star equivalent on Rivals/Scout. It should also be noted that 10 of the 12 non-kickers are ranked on at least one of the three boards. Only Eifert & Golic are excluded.

Here is the way the 12 look on each board:

Cierre Wood 14 5*
    Chris Watt 50 High 4*
    Marlon Pollard 146 Mid 4*
    Theo Riddick 158 Mid 4*
    Tyler Stockton 177 Low 4*
    Alex Bullard 214 Low 4*
    Dan Fox NR Low 4*
    Zach Martin NR Low 4*
    E.J. Banks NR High 3*
    Tyler Eifert NR Mid 3*
    Jake Golic NR High 2*

Cierre Wood 15 5*
    Chris Watt 46 5*
    Tyler Stockton 103 4*
    Alex Bullard 156 4*
    Marlon Pollard 187 4*
    Carlo Calabrese 209 4*
    Theo Riddick 226 4*
    Dan Fox NR 3*
    E.J. Banks NR 3*
    Zach Martin NR 3*
    Tyler Eifert NR 3*
    Jake Golic NR 3*

Cierre Wood 23 5*
    Tyler Stockton 32 5*
    Chris Watt 68 4*
    Zach Martin 105 4*
    E.J. Banks 131 4*
    Tyler Eifert NR 4*
    Marlon Pollard NR 3*
    Theo Riddick NR 3*
    Carlo Calabrese NR 3*
    Alex Bullard NR 3*
    Jake Golic NR 3*
    Dan Fox NR 3*

Star Ratings Summary.

Rivals- One 5 star , Seven 4 stars, Three 3 stars, and One 2 star = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.67

Scout- = Two 5 stars , Five 4 stars, and Five 3 stars = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.75

ESPN 150- Two 5 stars, Four 4 stars, and Six 3 stars = Avg. Star Ranking of 3.67

Updated for latest Rivals 250. All 6 ND players who were in the previous R250 were lowered on the board, including Dan Fox being removed from the list. The changes were not that drastic, ranging from a 4 slot drop for Watt to a 13 slot drop for Stockton. Also they now have Bryce Brown ahead of Wood as the #1 RB, even though neither one has played a down of football this year. I hate to start the topic of anti-ND bias on Rivals, and I do not think that they actually do it consciously, but seriously what are the odds that all 6 ND recruits in their R250 list would be downgraded.

In any case, as far as the team rankings go, this new R250 will actually show a slight increase for ND because even though all of the top ranked ND recruits were downgraded in terms of their slot#, their RR rankings remained the same. In addition Rivals has now ranked the Kickers, and previously unranked and no starred Benjamin Turk is now listed as a 3* and the #5 Kicker in the Class. Nick Tausch remains a 2*, and is ranked as the #9 Kicker in the class. Note that the Kicker rankings are for all Kickers regardless of whether they are a P or a PK. Also, even though Rivals is now ranking the kickers, I am going to continue to exclude them in this comparison. Scout and ESPN have not made any updates since the last time this comparison was done.

Jake Golic is now the only ND recruit among the 14 who has not been assigned a positional ranking by Rivals.

SoCalDomer
    Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    I hate to start the topic of anti-ND bias on Rivals, and I do not think that they actually do it consciously, but seriously what are the odds that all 6 ND recruits in their R250 list would be downgraded.
    i wonder if it has to do with participation in camps. did any of our recruits continue to participate in the camps Rivals held or went to after the last rankings? How many of the players that moved up attended those camps? It could be a matter of the last thing they saw and forgetting what they saw in recruits who participated some time ago.

Now, that doesn't excuse them. If they're supposed to be unbiased, then the re-evaluations should really be done where they sit down and review all film they have, not just the recent film of players who went to camps.

I'm no rivals/scout/scout inc apologist. I think the whole industry stinks and has created as many problems as benefits. But it may be less sinister than it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by irishunclebill View Post
    Updated for latest Rivals 250. All 6 ND players who were in the previous R250 were lowered on the board, including Dan Fox being removed from the list. The changes were not that drastic, ranging from a 4 slot drop for Watt to a 13 slot drop for Stockton. Also they now have Bryce Brown ahead of Wood as the #1 RB, even though neither one has played a down of football this year. I hate to start the topic of anti-ND bias on Rivals, and I do not think that they actually do it consciously, but seriously what are the odds that all 6 ND recruits in their R250 list would be downgraded.
    In any case, as far as the team rankings go, this new R250 will actually show a slight increase for ND because even though all of the top ranked ND recruits were downgraded in terms of their slot#, their RR rankings remained the same. In addition Rivals has now ranked the Kickers, and previously unranked and no starred Benjamin Turk is now listed as a 3* and the #5 Kicker in the Class. Nick Tausch remains a 2*, and is ranked as the #9 Kicker in the class. Note that the Kicker rankings are for all Kickers regardless of whether they are a P or a PK. Also, even though Rivals is now ranking the kickers, I am going to continue to exclude them in this comparison. Scout and ESPN have not made any updates since the last time this comparison was done.

Jake Golic is now the only ND recruit among the 14 who has not been assigned a positional ranking by Rivals.
    And what are the odds that a bunch of USC commits all improved in the latest Rival rankings?? I agree IUB, let's not go there...........

IUB, great info.

FloydsFlair
    I just took a quick look at the rankings and Wood is now listed as the 3rd best RB behind Bryson and Trent Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by FloydsFlair View Post
    I just took a quick look at the rankings and Wood is now listed as the 3rd best RB behind Bryson and Trent Richardson
    Is he behind Bryson or Brice Brown?

FloydsFlair
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanishElite View Post
    Is he behind Bryson or Brice Brown?
    He is behind Bryce Brown and Trent Richardson. Bryce Brown is ranked 6th overall, Trent Richardson is ranked 11th overall and Wood is ranked 14th overall.

just makes me want to break somethin but nothin you can do and they will be proven to be the dicks they truly are when these very players are winning nc's year in and out...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast