Please Support Our Sponsors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Register to remove this advertisement
    I had just flown into Dallas that Monday for a National Sales Meeting. That evening, for the meet & greet cocktail hour, we were treated to a short performance by the late Ray Charles. He only performed 3-4 songs but the last one was "America the Beautiful". Little did we know that song would be part of the soundtrack for our country for awhile.

This was before everyone had nationwide cell service so I didn't bring my phone. During the first break of our meeting the morning of 9/11, a buzz began to overtake the auditorium. Someone explained to me that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I immediately assumed it was pilot error. Then they said the Pentagon was hit and I just couldn't fathom all that...it was surreal.

We were all immediately encouraged to return to our rooms to check on family, etc. The airports were obviously shut down which was really tough for our NYC reps. Luckily, our company had hired an AV company for the meeting who had a private jet. They agreed to fly all the NYC reps back home to check on family. That was a blessing as those guys & gals were understandably in distress.

The rest of us had to stay put and proceed with the meeting the rest of the week. The response was, "really?!?! We are going through with the planned sales simulations & role play while the Nation deals with a terrorist attack?" I remember finally getting out of the hotel to go to a bar & grill to eat. The cabbie that drove us back to the hotel happened to be Middle Eastern descent. None of us thought much about it until he started saying "God bless you" and insisting that there would be no charge for the cab ride. It occurred to us that he was scared shitless about being a Middle Eastern male in America the day after a groups of terrorist of Middle Eastern descent murdered thousands of innocent Americans. I felt bad for the guy.

My wife was at home with our 5 month old baby daughter. When I would check in she was amazed how I was out of touch with reality. Since we were stuck in Dallas and had only the meeting to complete before airports started to open back up, I had no idea that there were gas stations committing price gouging and others that were having runs on gas. Finally, when a few flights opened up, we decided to arrange travel and were able to carpool back home. Thankfully, I'm only 5-6 hours from Dallas so I probably made faster time than going through the airport BS and flying.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdickens View Post
    I thought he was talking about back in the 40s when a B52 hit the Empire State Building.
    B-25...if it was a B-52 there wouldn't be an Empire State Building.

How Michael Cuddyer unwittingly saved a teammate’s life on 9/11

If I ever heard this story before I had completely forgotten it. But I’m fairly sure I hadn’t heard it before. If you haven’t, by all means, click on Kevin Kernan’s story at the New York Post about reliever Brad Thomas, Michael Cuddyer and a near-miss on September 11, 2001.

Short version: reliever Brad Thomas and Michael Cuddyer were teammates on the Minnesota Twins’ Double-A team in New Britain. They were playing in the Double-A playoffs together in September, 2001. Their first round series was scheduled to end, one way or another, on September 10. Thomas and his fiancee had tickets on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston to Los Angeles to go home in the event New Britain lost the series. Cuddyer’s homers helped them move on to the next round, however, so Thomas didn’t use his tickets. Flight 11, of course, was hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center.

The forces which propel our lives forward are unknowable as we look forward and are often incomprehensible looking backwards.

Follow @craigcalcaterra

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDodger View Post
    How Michael Cuddyer unwittingly saved a teammate’s life on 9/11

If I ever heard this story before I had completely forgotten it. But I’m fairly sure I hadn’t heard it before. If you haven’t, by all means, click on Kevin Kernan’s story at the New York Post about reliever Brad Thomas, Michael Cuddyer and a near-miss on September 11, 2001.

Short version: reliever Brad Thomas and Michael Cuddyer were teammates on the Minnesota Twins’ Double-A team in New Britain. They were playing in the Double-A playoffs together in September, 2001. Their first round series was scheduled to end, one way or another, on September 10. Thomas and his fiancee had tickets on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston to Los Angeles to go home in the event New Britain lost the series. Cuddyer’s homers helped them move on to the next round, however, so Thomas didn’t use his tickets. Flight 11, of course, was hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center.

The forces which propel our lives forward are unknowable as we look forward and are often incomprehensible looking backwards.

Follow @craigcalcaterra
    Wild story - have never heard that before. I would send Cuddyer a Derek Jeter gift basket every year if I was Thomas.

Community Moderator Jiggafini19's Avatar
    IMG_2919.jpg

Dropped off pizzas and cookies to the firehouse a mile down the street from us. There were four guys there and two cops.

Kids got hats, stickers and a tour of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggafini19 View Post
    IMG_2919.jpg

Dropped off pizzas and cookies to the firehouse a mile down the street from us. There were four guys there and two cops.

Kids got hats, stickers and a tour of the garage.
    A+ to you and your family Jigga for doing this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123