PDA

View Full Version : '14 IN ATH Drue Tranquill (11/19/13 Notre Dame LOI)

HoffVir
06-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Safety
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Carroll

Ht:6'2"
Wt:205 lbs

http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Drue-Tranquill-147740

http://247sports.com/Player/Drue-Tranquill-27669?Institution=10935

Offers from Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Indiana St, Miami (OH), Minnesota, Purdue, Toledo, and Western Michigan. Interest from Notre Dame, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan St, Mississippi St, NC State, Northwestern, Ohio St, and Wisconsin.

http://youtu.be/mXkZvV5q9cc

HoffVir
06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Tranquill Ready To Compete
THURSDAY, 20 JUNE 2013 04:15 CHRISTIAN MCCOLLUM

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/images/resized/images/stories/2014_recruits/druetranquill1_200_200.jpg

Drue Tranquill just turned his full attention to football this year and so far, it’s worked out quite well.

“I was focused on baseball last year,” the 2014 Indiana linebacker/safety said.

“I never went to any football camps or anything because I was going to pursue a career in baseball. After I went to the Army All-American Combine, I kind of found that passion for football. I started hitting the circuit this year.”

Tranquill has hit the camp circuit hard and left strong impressions on coaches along the way. He’s picked up 11 offers in recent months from schools like Cincinnati, Indiana, Minnesota and, most recently, Purdue among others.

“It’s huge, it’s a blessing to be able to accomplish that,” Tranquill said. “They’re full-rides to school and they don’t come a lot. Anytime you can get a free education, that’s huge, and when you have an opportunity to choose a school, it’s an even bigger blessing.”

The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder from Fort Wayne’s Carroll High School will be at Notre Dame on Friday for the Irish’s Future Stars Camp.

“I’m pumped,” he said. “I’m excited. I’ve talked with Coach (Mike) Elston a couple times and I’m looking forward to finally getting down there and seeing what they have to offer.

“(Elston has) been saying they like me. He said they definitely want to see me get there to run around in action because I haven’t been on the camp circuit. I got on the camp circuit this year. He got down to my school. He said they really liked what they saw on film. He said they just want to work me out to see exactly where they would want to play me. Right now, they’re thinking their weakside outside linebacker, who is also the guy who can cover in space.”

Tranquill has been told he could play different positions at different schools.

“It depends from school to school,” he said. “Some want me as that hybrid outside linebacker/safety. Some want me just as a safety and some want me as an outside linebacker who can play down in the box. I think the good thing about me is that I’m a guy that’s physical enough to play down in the box, but finesse enough to be able to cover in space.”

He enjoys the challenge of trying to impress coaches in person at camps.

“They put you in an atmosphere with a ton of kids competing,” he said. “Scholarships are on the line, so it’s just a competitive environment and they see how you react. When you respond tenaciously and are just out there doing your thing, they like to see that. They like to see those guys who can compete in crunch time.

“They also like to see your craft, what you’ve worked on the past year. All of those reps in the dark that they haven’t seen, being able to come out and put that out when the lights are on is huge.”

Tranquill is grateful for all of the offers he’s garnered so far, but admits he’d like to add another one from the Irish.

“Notre Dame is a great school. Obviously they’re nationally-recognized, so it would be huge to earn a scholarship from them. The prestige of, not only their engineering department, but their academics in general is huge. It’s a school with a rich tradition for football. To be able to play football at a school that is highly competitive and also get a prestigious education would be awesome.”

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/9419-tranquill-ready-to-compete

zimmsbg78
06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/9430-tranquill-does-his-thing (free)

After tearing up the camp circuit over the last few weeks, Drue Tranquill arrived at Notre Dame on Friday for the Irish’s Future Stars Camp and did what he’s become used to doing.

“It went great,” the 2014 Fort Wayne, Ind. prospect said. “I got to speak with all of the coaches. They worked me out at safety, so everything went good.”

Some schools see the 6-foot-2, 210-pounder as a safety and others see him as a linebacker.

“They kind of want me at that strong safety,” Tranquill said of the Irish. “It depends from school to school. I’m not that surprised. I move well for a big guy. I’m physical enough to play down in the box. It just depends where they see me on the field and how I can help the team.”

He believes he showed the Irish staff what he can do.

“I thought I did well,” he said. “I moved around well and did well in the drills. I had four (pass breakups) in one-on-ones. I could have done better toward the end of one-on-ones, but there’s always room for improvement. It was just a good opportunity to expand my pool and be able to be coached up by some of the best coaches in the nation.

“I got some very positive feedback. They seem pretty interested.”

Tranquill had been concentrating on baseball until recently, so the Notre Dame coaches were excited to see him at the camp.

“They were glad to finally see me in action,” he said. “I posted the third-best time in the 40 at the camp. They were really impressed with how I moved around. They kept comparing me to Zeke Motta, their former safety.”

Tranquill, who ran a 4.50, also had the chance to spend time with Irish assistant Mike Elston and some other coaches.

“I like the coaches a lot,” he said. “I got to talk with Coach Elston a lot because he’s my recruiting coordinator for my area. He introduced me to Coach Bob Diaco, who’s a good guy and I got to talk to their safeties coach, Coach Elliott.

“Coach Elliott is a really good guy who knows what he’s talking about. Coach Brian Kelly, I briefly introduced myself to him during the camp.”

He currently has 11 offers from schools like Purdue, Cincinnati, Indiana and Minnesota among others and is hoping to hear about one from the Irish soon.

“They didn’t speak much about an offer, but I had to leave early to get to Orlando for IMG Nationals,” Tranquill said. “Coach Elston said he’ll definitely get back with me. They’re going to meet and reviewed my stuff and he told me to call him this upcoming week and we’ll see where it goes from there.”

He was certainly impressed with what he saw on Friday.

“The facilities are magnificent. Everything is top-of-the-line, everything is clean. I got to visit the locker room, weight room, all of that stuff. It’s just top class. Being a private institution, they have the opportunity to have those nice facilities. It would definitely be a blessing to have that quality of facilities when you’re playing there.”

HoffVir
07-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Eric Gardner ‏@Gardner_247
Drue Tranquill has committed to Purdue | http://247sports.com/Player/Drue-Tranquill-27669 … via @247Sports #Boilermakers
8:06 PM - 23 Jul 13

stonebreakerwasgod
07-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Poor Bearcats.

HoffVir
08-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Josh Helmholdt ‏@JoshHelmholdt
More on the #NotreDame offer for #Purdue commit Drue Tranquill. Purdue fans: http://bit.ly/11AbOuy Notre Dame fans: http://bit.ly/13If047
3:05 PM - 2 Aug 13

HoffVir
08-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Sean Morrison ‏@sean_morrison
Carroll's Drue Tranquill on #NotreDame: "I'm honored by the offer. Committed to #Purdue, but my family and I will give an honest look ... "
Retweeted by Jake Brown
2:58 PM - 2 Aug 13

Sean Morrison ‏@sean_morrison
Rest of the Tranquilll quote: " ... to all my options in order to make the best decision." #Purdue
Retweeted by Jake Brown
2:59 PM - 2 Aug 13

Tyler James ‏@TJamesNDI
#Purdue has worked hard to establish itself in Midwest with recruiting under new coach Darrell Hazzell, especially here in Indiana. But...
3:12 PM - 2 Aug 13

Tyler James ‏@TJamesNDI
...if they were to lose Tranquill to #NotreDame, this would be an unpleasant reminder of who shares a state with them.
3:14 PM - 2 Aug 13

Tyler James ‏@TJamesNDI
Drue Tranquill, from Fort Wayne, is considered a Top 10 player in Indiana according to 247Sports (7) and Rivals (9).
3:17 PM - 2 Aug 13

Tom Loy ‏@TomLoy247
After discussions with Drue Tranquill, both past and present, I've changed my #CrystalBall prediction to #NotreDame. http://247sports.com/Player/Drue-Tranquill-27669/PlayerInstitutionPredictions
3:28 PM - 2 Aug 13

Blue and Gold News ‏@BGInews
Tranquill Talks Irish Offer - Purdue commit Drue Tranquill says he'll give Notre Dame an "honest look" after the I... http://ow.ly/2yQG0N
3:29 PM - 2 Aug 13

Tom Loy ‏@TomLoy247
National Analyst Steve Wiltfong (@SWiltfong247) was first to flip his prediction for Tranquill to #NotreDame. http://247sports.com/Player/Drue-Tranquill-27669/PlayerInstitutionPredictions #Oracle
3:29 PM - 2 Aug 13

zimmsbg78
08-12-2013, 11:13 AM
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130812/SPORTS/130819976/1007

Drue Tranquill is a mature guy, a reasonable guy, a guy who sticks to his word.

The Carroll senior is also a bit confused.

Can you blame him? He had committed to play football at Purdue, which is gearing toward a return to Big Ten title relevance under new coach Darrell Hazell, only to have Notre Dame, 10 days after the fact, finally offer a scholarship.

The Irish have returned to national championship contention under coach Brian Kelly. If you're a quality player, and Tranquill certainly is given he's rated among the state's top-10 prospects, you've got to take a look. Tranquill hopes to visit Notre Dame on Saturday.

“I'm honored by the offer,” he said. “It's a great school. I'll give them an honest look like I have with every other school that has offered me a scholarship. What 17-year-old kid wouldn't give Notre Dame a look? I'm committed to Purdue and Purdue is the best fit for me, but we'll see when I get down there.”

Notre Dame is looking at the 6-2, 205-pound Tranquill as a linebacker. Purdue sees him as a “defensive athlete,” which means he could be safety or linebacker or a kind of hybrid mix to maximize his athleticism.

At Carroll Tranquill will be a two-way player, plus more when you consider special teams. That will include time at receiver and Wildcat quarterback.

Tranquill wanted to have the college question resolved so he could focus on what looms as a Carroll state title run in the new 6A division.

Instead, he's got to take another look.

“It is confusing,” he said. “You get everyone pulling you -- go here, go there. Ultimately, it's a business decision. It will be what's best for me and my family.”

He said he won't let it distract from his Carroll obligations.

“I put all that aside and learned to handle all the pressure to go here, go there. I'm used to that. I don't like it to get to my head. I take it with a humble heart. Be blessed to have the opportunities I have.”

Like Tranquill, Carroll coach Doug Dinan figured if the Irish were going to offer, they'd have offered before Tranquill made his announcement.

“I was very surprised because of the communication he had with (Notre Dame),” Dinan said.

“It's a tough situation for him and his family. He wants to be through it. I can't predict the direction he'll go. He was very sound and happy with his decision to commit to Purdue. I don't know if this will change or not.”

Tranquill said he wants to make a final decision before the high school season starts. Dinan is certain that he will.

“He'll come to a conclusion very soon, if not by the end of August. All along he's felt that way.”

As far as the timing of Notre Dame's offer, Dinan said it's part of the cutthroat nature of recruiting.

“The statement somebody once made was, you're not really being recruited until you make a commitment, then everybody comes out of the woodwork.

“I'm not one to make a judgement. To a point, it's not very fair to the kid and the family. They've been through the process. They've made a decision.”

Tranquill isn't the only athlete with Fort Wayne area ties dealing with recruiting uncertainty. Former Bishop Luers guard James Blackmon Jr., who will play his senior season at Marion High School, recently re-opened his recruiting. He had committed to Indiana before he entered high school.

Tranquill, who once thought baseball would be his college sport, didn't get offers at that age.

“I wasn't in a situation where I could have committed my freshman year. I know James is a great player. He had that opportunity.

“I couldn't imagine committing that early. You're not mature enough to make that decision.

“I'm thankful I waited. I'm mature enough to understand it's not just about football, it's about the degree you'll get and the opportunity to develop yourself into the best football player and student athlete.”

HoffVir
08-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Jake Brown ‏@Jake_Brown
RT @GoldandBlackcom: Drue Tranquill visiting #Purdue Thursday, per a source.
1:04 PM - 22 Aug 13

HoffVir
09-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Jake Brown ‏@Jake_Brown
#NotreDame LB target. RT @GoldandBlackcom: Drue Tranquill: #Purdue visit 'was best visit I have had (anywhere) during this process.'
6:50 PM - 15 Sep 13

zimmsbg78
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Drue will visit ND this weekend (september 21st) for the ND/MSU game. I'm not sure if it's a unofficial visit or official visit.

JDriveSthND
09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Wasn't he at Purdue last week? Decision coming up?

zimmsbg78
09-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Wasn't he at Purdue last week? Decision coming up?

Drue did attend the Purdue/ND game last weekend. He called it the greatest game he's ever been to. What till he sees South Bend on a gameday. Many feel a final decision will come in short order after his visit this weekend.

HoffVir
10-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Steve Wiltfong ‏@SWiltfong247
Expected prospects at #Purdue on Saturday includes Drue Tranquill, Nile Sykes and three players committed elsewhere: http://purdue.247sports.com/Board/59450/Expected-football-prospects-visiting-for-Nebraska-game-22141471 …
10:08 AM - 11 Oct 13

HoffVir
11-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Plenty of time now to focus on his decision.

Jake Brown ‏@Jake_Brown
Drue Tranquill’s season over. RT @angdicarlowndu: FINAL: Carmel beats Carroll 38-7.
9:35 PM - 8 Nov 13

HoffVir
11-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Steve Wiltfong ‏@SWiltfong247
#PennState offers #Purdue LB commit Drue Tranquill: http://pennstate.247sports.com/Board/18/Penn-State-offers-Big-Ten-commit-23091394 … via @247Sports #NittanyLions #PSU
9:39 PM - 13 Nov 13

Dayton_Domer
11-18-2013, 08:56 PM
contacted both ND and Purdue and let them know he plans on making a decision this week.

HoffVir
11-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Tyler James ‏@TJamesNDI
ND target Drue Tranquill. RT @d_tranquill: Talked with both #Purdue and #NotreDame tonight... I will finalize my recruiting this week!
9:50 PM - 18 Nov 13

TJimmy
11-19-2013, 02:20 AM
PSU????

JDriveSthND
11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
PSU????

Very doubtful. Penn State got in on the action too late. It's always been an Irish/Purdue battle since ND offered.

Jiggafini19
11-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Flipped to Notre Dame

Purebred Irishman
11-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Welcome aboard young man.

Purebred Irishman
11-19-2013, 06:57 PM
http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Drue-Tranquill-Flips-Commitment-From-Purdue-To-Notre-Dame-161554

Fort Wayne (Ind.) Carroll four-star linebacker/athlete Drue Tranquill has made his final college decision.The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Tranquill is headed to Notre Dame.

Tranquill had originally committed to Purdue on July 23, only to be offered by the Irish shortly after. He visited each campus several times this fall and it wasnt an easy decision, but on Tranquill is excited about.

Ive earnestly sought the peace of God throughout this process because in no way am I inclined to make such a tough decision on my own, Tranquill told 247Sports on Monday evening. Ive prayed about this decision for three months now and he has finally given me peace about the decision.

Ive been blessed to have the opportunities these great universities have extended me. Both are great schools and my decision is in no way demeaning to Purdue University. I love that school, the coaches and everything they stand for. In the end Im going to the University of Notre Dame for Faith, Family, Football and an education.

Im honored to be considered by these two great institutions and will be forever grateful.

Ranked by 247Sports as the nations No. 22 safety and No. 4 prospect overall, Tranquill becomes commit No. 18 for the Irish in the class of 2014, and the 16th to hold four-star status by either 247Sports or the 247Composite.

Tranquill was recruited by Notre Dame as a defensive athlete that could play inside linebacker or safety in an Irish uniform.

Other programs to offer Tranquill includes Cincinnati, Indiana, Minnesota, Penn State and Wisconsin. He was recruited by Notre Dame assistant coach Mike Elston.

TJimmy
11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm glad when ND gets guys from the Hoosier state. I hope he pans out and is a great pick-up.
We need some good quality guys on D.

mlcspinner
11-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Any flip to ND is a good flip

JDriveSthND
11-20-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm glad when ND gets guys from the Hoosier state. I hope he pans out and is a great pick-up.
We need some good quality guys on D.

I agree completely. It's clear Kelly has made a priority about getting some of the top talent in Indiana, landing Nick Martin, Sheldon Day, Gunner Kiel, Jaylon Smith, Justin Brent and now Drue Tranquill.

Obviously, Kiel didn't work out, but overall Kelly's doing pretty darn well and clearly he's landing quality Indiana guys since two of them are starting on the front 7 as a true freshman (Smith) and true sophomore (Day).

Big for the Fort Wayne pipeline as well. Jaylon Smith, Tony Springmann, John Goodman, and Tyler Eifert all are Fort Wayne products.

JDriveSthND
11-20-2013, 09:11 AM
This is a very good class. It's a bit under the radar, because it lacks the heavy hitters of the last class (Smith, Bryant, Redfield), but it is a very solid top-to-bottom class. It has multiple top 10 and top 15 recruits at their respective positions per the 247Composite, and no one is ranked lower than 27th at their respective position per the 247Composite.

16 of 18 recruits have been given a 4th star by the 247Sports ratings, the 247Composite ratings, or both. I'm excited to see how both the season and the recruiting class turn out over the next few months.

LOVEMYIRISH
11-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Welcome to ND Drue!!!

LOVEMYIRISH
11-20-2013, 10:03 AM
This is a very good class. It's a bit under the radar, because it lacks the heavy hitters of the last class (Smith, Bryant, Redfield), but it is a very solid top-to-bottom class. It has multiple top 10 and top 15 recruits at their respective positions per the 247Composite, and no one is ranked lower than 27th at their respective position per the 247Composite.

16 of 18 recruits have been given a 4th star by the 247Sports ratings, the 247Composite ratings, or both. I'm excited to see how both the season and the recruiting class turn out over the next few months.

It's a good class, true. I would not say it's under the radar though. There are clearly some factors that transcend pure stars, but in the end the overall quality of the class will be measured and clear for all to see.

Ty's classes were "under the radar"...WAY under the radar. All good classes will be noticed nowadays.

The catastrophe that is the 2012 class will really bite us in the ass if they don't effectively band-aid it with this class. Here's to hoping Kelly fills ALL the needed spots especially D Line and LB spots.

irishunclebill
02-05-2014, 09:36 AM
24m
✈️ Drue Tranquill✈️ @d_TraNquill
Fax is off! Officially Signed with THE University of Notre Dame🍀🍀🍀
What a blessing, Thankyou God🙏 This moment is surreal! A DREAM come true
Retweeted by Irish Illustrated
ExpandReplyRetweetFavorite

Purebred Irishman
02-05-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHfVYS0PdLg

mlcspinner
02-05-2014, 05:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfvSAVDCUAAcbe0.jpg

Purebred Irishman
09-18-2014, 05:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBc-wroaSHQ&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

rontdtarchala
09-19-2014, 09:03 PM
I am just glad Drue ended up choosing ND in the end... He is going to be a real deal at Notre Dame!!! I like his attitude and definitely his non stop motor!!!