PDA

View Full Version : What are your standards for the ND Basketball Program?

Fishin'_Irish
03-26-2008, 09:29 PM
What do you expect from the ND Men's basketball program, year in and year out?

Fishin'_Irish
03-26-2008, 09:34 PM
The poll is now up.

daytonirish
03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
There is no reason that ND should not be able to field a team that is near the top of the BE every yr. And there is no reason they should not be at least a serious threat to be a sweet 16 team and beyond.,

Fishin'_Irish
03-26-2008, 09:56 PM
There is no reason that ND should not be able to field a team that is near the top of the BE every yr. And there is no reason they should not be at least a serious threat to be a sweet 16 team and beyond.,

Which raises the question: "Why isn't it happening?"

daytonirish
03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I wish I knew Fishin. I think some of it has to do with the way Brey recruits. He signs a big class every 2 yrs. and those guys become his core players. I don't understand how almost every other team in the country can play Fr. extensive minutes but we don't seem to be able to do that.

Fishin'_Irish
03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I wish I knew Fishin. I think some of it has to do with the way Brey recruits. He signs a big class every 2 yrs. and those guys become his core players. I don't understand how almost every other team in the country can play Fr. extensive minutes but we don't seem to be able to do that.

Jackson and Harangody, and Peoples to an extent all got good minutes as freshman last year. Kurz got minutes in there, too. Stretching back a bit, Colin Falls, Chris Quinn, Chris Thomas, and Torin Francis all saw playing time as freshman.

daytonirish
03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Fishin you kind of answered it though. Brey has been at ND what like 6-7 yrs. And we have 8-10 players as Fr. who have seen extended playing time. he ought to be bringing in at least one a yr. Alot of those guys you mentioned were from the same classes. I.E. bringing in large classes every few seasons.

Fishin'_Irish
03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Fishin you kind of answered it though. Brey has been at ND what like 6-7 yrs. And we have 8-10 players as Fr. who have seen extended playing time. he ought to be bringing in at least one a yr. Alot of those guys you mentioned were from the same classes. I.E. bringing in large classes every few seasons.

That's not really a bad number though. There are more too, like Luke Zeller (sorry IrishR#1). Afterall,it's not like a team should play multiple freshman in large roles. After all, what does that say about the upperclassmen?

daytonirish
03-26-2008, 10:38 PM
But the team needs to be able to go more than 7 deep. I think we see this with the Irish more than not.

Fishin'_Irish
03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
But the team needs to be able to go more than 7 deep. I think we see this with the Irish more than not.

Fortunately, that should improve next year with guys like Ty Nash, Ty Proffitt, Tim Andree, and Scott Carleton all gaining a year of experience.

daytonirish
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
That is what I'm hopeing for fishin. I think it could make a big difference if a couple of these guys can contribute solid minutes and play.

domehead1
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
I seriously think that we are lacking an "athlete"..you know, someone who plays above the rim...a cutter... a slasher...a high flyer..someone like Stoney perhaps :). Hopefully with the season that we had and the upcoming season...those type players really take a hard look at us.

ND Fanatic
03-27-2008, 08:12 AM
I took a sweet 16 team with the ability to go further, but thats about as good as the ND basketball program will probably ever be. I think that part of the problem is the type of athlete you have to recruit to be a national title contender.
To move ND on the next level, you have to recruit the type of kids that are NBA ready after a year or two and ND/Brey don't, and shouldn't recruit those types of kids - they should and do recruit 4 yr players that graduate before moving on in their career. ND needs a more big men, and most good big men don't stay in college long, which puts teams like ND at a disadvantage in the national title hunt.
So when you look at the pool of players that are willing to play until they graduate and are willing to work hard in the classroom and basketball court, your not left with a lot of kids. And of those kids, your are now recruiting against UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA - traditional basketball powers, and its hard for ND to compete against those type of schools in basketball - ND has been/is known as a football school, and its hard to convince the top level players to come a play basketball.

domehead1
03-27-2008, 08:15 AM
I do have to add that I think that possibly Ty Nash could fill that "athlete" role that I was talking about....however, only time will tell.

Fishin'_Irish
03-27-2008, 10:59 AM
I have high hopes for Nash. To be honest, I would have liked to see him play some this past year, but I realize he's just a frosh. I think he'll be good.

Granger Irish
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
My expectations is to get back to being a Top 10-15 program. From about 1974-1981, we were a top 10 program. With the right coach, stating as an objective, a Final Four and Notre Dame being a Top 10 program, we can do it. We can't do it with a coach who recruits certain types of players because he doesn't feel we can compete with North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky.

ND Fanatic
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
My expectations is to get back to being a Top 10-15 program. From about 1974-1981, we were a top 10 program. With the right coach, stating as an objective, a Final Four and Notre Dame being a Top 10 program, we can do it. We can't do it with a coach who recruits certain types of players because he doesn't feel we can compete with North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky.

I'm sure that Brey feels he can recruit the same kids that UNC, Duke and Kentucky does and compete well with them. But competing with them and landing the kids is completely different. You have to remember that visiting recruits come to SB in the dead of winter for their visits, thats a tough sell when they visit the Southeast and West coasts the following or previous week.
When we were a top team in the 70's and early 80's, college basketball was a completely different game. Back then there were more top recruits that ND could go out and get, in todays college game where they only have to be in school for 1 yr, it dilutes the field and it makes it harder for ND the recruit. Since ND only recruits that they feel will be in school for 4 yrs, they are at a disadvantage against alot of other schools.

IrishR#1
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Sweet 16 every other year and a bye in the BE Tourney every year. That has to be the expectations. Anything less is a disappointment. Anything more is a pleasant surprise. Next year will be their best chance to get further than the Sweet 16. They better not blow it.