PDA

View Full Version : '08 NC CB Robert Blanton (6/20/07 Notre Dame LOI)

Svoboda
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Cornerback
Butler High School ( http://pages.cms.k12.nc.us/butler/) (Matthews, NC)

Ht: 6-foot-1
Wt: 177 lbs
Forty: 4.5 secs
GPA: 3.0

Links of Interest: Rivals Profile (http://notredame.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=59084)

Combine:
Bench Max: 215 lbs.
Squat Max:

Star Ratings
Rivals.com: ****
Scout.com: ****

Rankings & Accolades
Rivals #22 National Safety Rivals NC Top 30- #7
Scout 300 #172 Scout #15 Cornerback
ESPN #47 National Safety
Lemming/CSTV 100 #90

Statistics
2006- 147 Tackles, 7 Interceptions, 2 TD’s, 4 Blocked Kicks
2007- 128 Tackles, 7 Interceptions

Schools of Interest:
Notre Dame- LOI Official Visit 10/19/07
Duke
Georgia
Louisville
Michigan
North Carolina
NC State
South Carolina
Virginia Tech

Svoboda
06-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Look for Blanton to be the next Irish commitment.

stonebreakerwasgod
06-19-2007, 04:06 PM
3:00 tomorrow.............Will probably be our first addition to the defensive back corps. Come on Robert!!

Svoboda
06-19-2007, 04:14 PM
He's basically committed.

stonebreakerwasgod
06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
HCTI thinks I should be too. :) Like a poster on another board stated...fall could be rather boring...wouldn't that be nice this time around.

irishziggy
06-19-2007, 09:12 PM
awesome. cant wait

untitledproject
06-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Official.

HereComeTheIrish
06-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Welcome aboard Mr. Blanton...

IrishKnight1023
07-15-2007, 03:41 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=162#S=162&F=2017&T=719067

WOW, I'm assuming this EMAN...Blantons step dad on a Wolverine site telling a gooood story, I haven't finished it yet but here it is....

after reading the many comical post i couldn't help myself. i'll try to help a few on here that seem to have some sense. where do i start? michigan was NEVER his favorite school. of course he was excited about it because it was HIS FIRST OFFER! many people (especially your coaching staff) figured it was a wrap because he attented your camp for two years, his position coach whom he LOVES, has a friend on the staff. He's been in RJ's ear since he was a freshman about Michigan. Jamar Adams is an alum of his high school. So as you can see a lot of things in Michigan's favor.

First and foremost, for whatever reason he didn't get a good feel either time he camped there. I didn't even know this until we were on an unofficial at VT. I didn't ask him specifics because it didn't matter to me. Personally Michigan is one of my two favorite schools. My oldest son was born in Muskegon, but that's another story. No I'm not from there, born and raised in W Baltimore. Here is the deal plain and simple. Yes RJ had many offers, but only two schools recruited him, ND and VT. The wife and I favored VT and gave them an unfair advantage and they still blew it. (close to us) The bottom line is Corwin Brown got in his ear and it was a wrap plain and simple. I even emailed coach Gray and Sherman and told them if RJ had to commit today it would be ND. I told them I wasn't trying to tell them how to do their job, but if they wanted RJ they better step it up because CB was killing them. They asked what was he doing and I told them he's in his ear, or text every day. Coach Gray said he didn't like to hound recruits, I didn't say anything, I just left it alone. I said to myself if the dad told you he would commit to a guy that was in his ear everyday, then obviously he doesn't feel he's being hounded.

Other than Coach Sherman (cool guy, my wife loves him) and coach Gray I hadn't had any contact with a coach. When RJ told me coach Brown wanted to talk to me I was surprised. We talked for a little, and he mentioned something about texting me. I told him man I don't have time to be texting you, besides I don't even have it on my phone, I'd never texted before. He asked how was we going to establish a relationship? Well he started texting my wife and guess what she did? She got texting on MY PHONE!

Funny thing is, after a while, I found myself texting HIM to shoot the breeze. Keep in mind we NEVER talked about RJ, although i know many of you will find that hard to believe. The ONLY time we did was when he asked me what the holdup was with RJ committing? He told me up front that he was going to use RJ to bring in other kids, and I understood where he was coming from.

Now on to the fun stuff. Do you clowns (I'm talking ONLY of the ones who made stupid, uninformed comments about my son who obviously they know NOTHING about) So you think booboo scared him off? That's what I mean by UNINFORMED. They were at the SAME CAMP only ONE left with an offer and it sure as hell wasn't boo boo, so who do you think is the better prospect? He didn't get an offer until he got mvp at the combine in TX.

Another silly post I read was he didn't have the hips and whatever to be a D1 corner. I'm sure you're NOT an evaluator of talent because EVERY school is recruiting him as a DB including yours truely so again talk what you know. He plays in the toughest and best conference in the state. He ALWAYS matches up against the other teams BEST wideout and ALWAYS comes out on top. Ok, one time Hakeem Nicks destroyed his entire backfield one game. Let me give you an example of the type of player he is. After that game, (they were scheduled to play again the next week I believe, same conference, also you have to go through them to get to states) he went to his position coach and told the coach to let him play Nicks MAN TO MAN! Keep in mind I'm talking about a SOPHOMORE going up against a SENIOR. RESULTS? FOUR CATCHES, NO TOUCHDOWNS (he had three or four the previous game can't remember) NO BIG PLAYS. Same thing last year. Same team, different receiver last year. (Jason Barnes) Played him man to man and SHUT HIM DOWN. For those that may not know, Independence is the school with the nations longest winning streak. Well RJ DROPPED three sure picks. I told him if he hangs on to ONE, they probably win the game. They were up 21-0 and got the ball first in the second half. Again, played Indy a week or so later, and for some dumb reason, they play a zone and Barnes destroyed them. HE DROPPED two sure TD's.

For those of you who favor Spencer Adams, I have a little news for you. He's the THIRD best DB on the team. Eddie is the second best and it's not even close. People see his speed and automatically think he's a good football player. I'm not "hateing" on him because they're all my boys, I've been watching them for three years. Someone said the staff was higher on Spencer anyway? Yeah right. Spencer was at the camp also, did he get an offer before leaving? NO. Again, I hate to burst your bubble, but SPENCER IS NOT GOING TO UM. you can take that to the bank!

One final parting shot. As I said, RJ has been to your camp two years in a row. You were his first offer. We've never heard from any wolverine coaches. Well about a couple of weeks ago we get a call from coach English. Guess what he said? He wanted to introduce himself to us since he was recruiting our kid. HUH? WTF? It's a little late for that don't you think? You mean to tell me this guy has been to your camp two years straight (and it sure as hell isn't cheap), you've offered him, and you want to establish a relationship with his parents NOW? NEWSFLASH, Corwin Brown has been entrenched in that foxhole for a long time now, good luck getting him out. I know a lot of it is sour grapes that he not only didn't go to UM, but he went to a hated rival. But yall clowns need to stop dissing kids that choose a school other than yours, it's childish, but then again, I expect that from these forums.

Oh yeah, before I forget, RJ wasn't promised ANYTHING, especially playing time. Yes he knows their defense sucked, but THAT'S NOT WHY HE CHOOSE ND. Beside's Corwin, I think his teachers had a part in it. Whenever he mentioned ND, they all mentioned the education aspect (naturally being teachers) My son is an excellent player, but he's even a BETTER person. I assure you, you will NEVER hear about him in a negative way, so you guys can continue to hate on him if that makes you feel better.

I'll leave you with this, his mother asked did anyone promise him a starting position (the clowns on here are not the first to think that) he said "NO, you can't do that, what if you SUCK when you get there?"

untitledproject
07-15-2007, 04:10 AM
I don't care who you are, that's funny.

NDgrandson
07-15-2007, 04:46 AM
UN-B-lievable. He dropped a "WTF" in regards to English calling him for the 1st time... after he verballed to ND.

That post should be on the homepage here, it is a classic. I am sure we will be seeing EMAN and hearing from him for a while.

I would like to know the UM board's response to that bombshell.:eek:

stonebreakerwasgod
07-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Wow, now that's a great post to wake up to. Reps.

mlcspinner
07-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Man did he have to vent, That was GGGRREEAATTT

NDGirlzRock
07-15-2007, 01:12 PM
That really let's you know what Scum suckers they are! Moral of this story...don't rest on your laurels....cause Corwin sure the hell ain't!

Specnatz
07-15-2007, 08:14 PM
The differance between an Irish run board, you are not allowd to trash the students, where at meechigan you are allowd to do that, and probably are expected to do that.

paddyman
07-16-2007, 01:22 PM
There are rumors that this was not his step dad. Does anyone know for sure. Either way, i love it. it makes michigan fans look like complete trolls.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
I would love to see him at ND, but I'm not sure it's in the cards. I think he could be a pretty good player. Bad timing.

paddyman
07-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I would love to see him at ND, but I'm not sure it's in the cards. I think he could be a pretty good player. Bad timing.

maybe i am missing something, but isint blanton already committed to ND?

irishunclebill
07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
There are rumors that this was not his step dad. Does anyone know for sure. Either way, i love it. it makes michigan fans look like complete trolls.

There is obviously no way of knowing for sure, but FWIW it does sound like him.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
maybe i am missing something, but isint blanton already committed to ND?

LOL Sorry, I was thinking about Brown. Apologies.
My thoughts were about that young man, and what his future holds.

lattedatte
07-16-2007, 01:39 PM
LOL Sorry, I was thinking about Brown. Apologies.
My thoughts were about that young man, and what his future holds.

stick to politics dude, at least there you are knowingly wrong. :)

stonebreakerwasgod
07-16-2007, 01:40 PM
That hurts.

lattedatte
07-16-2007, 01:59 PM
That hurts.

even coming from a tree-hugging, tax-cutting independent like me?

stonebreakerwasgod
07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Not really. LOL

Hey, was I wrong when I reiterated that Sen. Hillary has beer-keg legs?

paddyman
07-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Not really. LOL

I just cant believe she tried to talk "lake she wuz frum da suth!" I felt so bad for her.:eek:

stonebreakerwasgod
07-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Ya'll need ta vote fer lil 'ole me.

paddyman
07-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Ya'll need ta vote fer lil 'ole me.

So if you apply my signature to hilary's antics what do you get?

stonebreakerwasgod
07-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Yikes.

NDGirlzRock
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Not really. LOL

Cankles!!!! Or as we called them in college stove pipe legs!

paddyman
07-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Yikes.

exactly.......And she wants to be president?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

IrishKnight1023
08-13-2007, 04:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=rivals-147531&prov=rivals&type=story_recruiting

Blanton plans to help the Irish program return to championship heights once he gets to campus for good. Blanton said he spoke with Corwin Brown over the weekend for a pre-season update. The cornerback also keeps in touch with Braxston Cave, Brandon Newman and Jamoris Slaughter. He also plans on attending the USC/ND game.

stew654
08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/321/story/237956.html

Three D1 players in butlers secondary, pretty impressive. I like how we are gaining a foothold in north c. Think we would have had a good shot at 5* Brandon Barnes (kerry neal's school) if he had kept his grades up.

IrishKnight1023
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/preps/story/250184.html

Senior defensive back Robert Blanton, however, set the tone. After Charest threw an interception deep in Butler territory on the first series, North Meck would score two plays later on a 9-yard Xavier Joplin run.

Blanton needed about 10 seconds to erase that deficit, when he took the ensuing kickoff 96 yards for the touchdown.

irishunclebill
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Blanton picked up his third INT of the season as Butler rolled 47-0 over a team that they lost to last year.

irishunclebill
09-11-2007, 12:12 PM
RJ picked up his 4th INT of the year and had a TD reception as Butler moved to 3-0 with another whitewash, this time by 55-0.

irishunclebill
09-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Butler moved to 5-1 last night with a 62-6 thrashing of Providence of Charlotte.

irishunclebill
10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Profile Updated & Pictures Added.

irishunclebill
10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Blanton is currently ranked by Rivals as the #1 Safety in the nation for Best Coverage Skills. That should translate very well into his anticipated role as a very physical CB in the ND defensive scheme.

daytonirish
11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Saw in the usa today yesterday that RJ and his teammates beat Charlotte Independence 21-20 over the weekend anyone know his stats for the game.

GoshenGipper
11-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I know he caught the winning TD.

robdog_5
11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
this is Butler's football site and has all kinds of videos and links to articles from the game

http://www.butlerhighfootball.com/

IrishChieftain777
11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Here are two articles that show the high character of yet another ND commit.

http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=702190

http://www.charlotte.com/preps/story/361888.html

And, yet again, this fine young man isn't going anywhere.

Weis, Brown and the rest of the staff deserve a lot of credit for securing the commitment of such quality kids who happen to be phenomenal athletes. Truly ND men. I can't wait to get these guys on campus.

ALLND62
11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks Chieftian777 excellent articles..... with guys coming into Notre Dame like this Charlie and crew will get us back where we want to be. Keep up the good work with the community Robert.

irishunclebill
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Coach Lewis was at the Blanton/eman household this evening, and CW will also be visiting RJ and our favorite recruit mom and stepdad next Wednesday.

NDGirlzRock
12-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Does this guy look mean or what?

http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=709232&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2f2% 2f709232.html

This is free on Scout! I'm just talking about the pic attached to the story!

mikejND
12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Anyone knows how Robert Blanton is doing so far at the Shrine Bowl practices?

NDisNCin2010
12-12-2007, 12:45 PM
there is a free video clip of Blanton up today on Irush Illustrated (Rivals site)...from the Shrine Bowl practices (do they play on hay down there?)...apparently coach Lewis is quite the comedian...also like Blanton saying the ND Campus is "like a Dreamland".

irishunclebill
12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
there is a free video clip of Blanton up today on Irush Illustrated (Rivals site)...from the Shrine Bowl practices (do they play on hay down there?)...apparently coach Lewis is quite the comedian...also like Blanton saying the ND Campus is "like a Dreamland".

They will usually play on here, but I think they may have made that video premium now.

daytonirish
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
IUB, It's on the Irish Illustrated site. Just watched it. It's all the way over on the right hand side of the page. Sounds like he can't wait to get to N.D. Liked the fact that he said the team is already 2-0 and after the first game will be 3-0. The staff has got these commits ready to join the Irish family.

irishunclebill
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
IUB, It's on the Irish Illustrated site. Just watched it. It's all the way over on the right hand side of the page. Sounds like he can't wait to get to N.D. Liked the fact that he said the team is already 2-0 and after the first game will be 3-0. The staff has got these commits ready to join the Irish family.

Gotcha, it's in that rotating section which means it won't be on there for too long.

irishunclebill
12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
You should be able to access it directly through this link as long as it stays in the free location.

http://notredame.rivals.com/video.asp?section=fbrecruit&pkey=&vidtype=amp&vidid=2832

BleedingB&G
12-16-2007, 11:28 PM
anyone know how Blanton performed at the Shrine Bowl?

stonebreakerwasgod
12-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm dying to see how our defense is gonna look in two years. The wait is killing me.

jonesman
12-16-2007, 11:51 PM
This year will be darn fun to watch. The CB position should be rock solid. OLB will be fun with Neal and Smith plus throw a little Fleming in there. At Safey, Bruton will be a terror and we will have some serious comp at the other. At DL, Kuntz should look goooood at DE, Ian will be really strong at NT. LB may even suprise us with someone blossoming. I know the kids coming is are gonna be lights out, but we have some really good young talent on board already. Ian, Brian Smith, Neal, Gray, Harrison Smith and maybe a Paskorz. These guys all have the capability to be special.

rktgoirish
12-17-2007, 02:22 AM
lookin very forward to next season....who m I kidden I look forward to anything that has 2 do with irish football evry day

JMR8
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
can't wait for next year. I think Paskorz will be a big surprise. And a few otehrs as well. Man, I miss watchin ND football already!

iloveirish_12
01-02-2008, 10:03 AM
When and why did he lose a star on rivals?

daytonirish
01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
He lost a star when they came out with their last update. Why, because it's their ranking system and that's what they decided. It's fun to have the rankings for the recruits but in the end the thing that matters the most is the coaching they get in college and how much they improve. And I think we started to see what a coach like Bill Lewis is going to be able to do with all this young talent. The db are going to a strong pos. for the Irish and Blanton will no doubt be part of it.

NDIRISH44
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
as far as coaches i have my doubts about Latina. something isn't right there.

fwirish24
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
wow Blanton is a real SHUTDOWN corner
his practice film is amazing

IrishCalves
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
This can be said about a lot of guys, but when it comes to Blanton he's the one guy in this class that I'm most eager to see work with Mendoza. Right now he's sort of a lanky instinctive athlete; if he really buys in and tries to transform his body, he could be a force in our secondary in two years.

daytonirish
01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Isn't this one of the same things that was being said about Walls. Not being big enough or strong enogh yet? It looks like he might turn out to be pretty darn good. Like ICsaid lets see what happens after if builds uo more strength and more muscle.

stonebreakerwasgod
01-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Blanton is doing ok at the AA practice. I'm not worried about him at all.

jason
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
When did he become a 3 star on Rivals?

Guess I could have read page 6 of the thread...haha.

irishunclebill
01-17-2008, 07:13 PM
RJ is once again officially a Rivals 4 star. With that increase the ND average star rating on Rivals ends up at 3.95.

Jstehly5511
01-17-2008, 08:11 PM
And rightfully so. I think this guy is so underated. He make look goofy and isn't the smoothest of them, but he's a gamer.

MirageSmack
01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
And rightfully so. I think this guy is so underated. He make look goofy and isn't the smoothest of them, but he's a gamer.The "goofy looking" one was Goodman. ;)

Jstehly5511
01-18-2008, 07:56 AM
and Blanton... I wasn't quoting Brandon Newman, sorry if that was misunderstood. What I meant by goofy was that he looks a bit uncoordinated, doesn't sport the arm bands and gear that most of the players put on for looks.

MirageSmack
01-18-2008, 06:42 PM
My bad. Thought you were referencing the Newman interview. That was funny!

Fishin'_Irish
02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Will fax LOI at 7 AM.

IrishKnight1023
02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
This kid is the funniest guy out there. He is so cocky, but it's funny and I love the attitude. First I heard a month or so back when someone was interviewing him they said......"What are your best attributes in football?" and his response....."everything".....haha.......when responding to going up against current ND recievers when he visited here......."So Robert how did you do against players that are already here at ND?"......."I put chains on em'"....not so shy about that haha.........and now I read on a message board that he was on Power Hour tonight and this took place....Mike Frank apparently asked him about the prospect of making a tackle on the first kickoff next year and Blanton said........"I'm knockin' dicks in the dirt" hahahahahaha.......come on somebody start a new poll of our current commits and let the good people of Gold Helmet vote on their favorite......because RJ........has my vote.

The New Louis
02-07-2008, 07:12 AM
........"I'm knockin' dicks in the dirt"

that may be one of the best line I have ever heard. I am going to steal that.

stonebreakerwasgod
02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I've been saying that for 20 yrs. It's a great line.

NDGirlzRock
02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Man.....we haven't had attitude like that in the secondary since Bobby Taylor!!! This kid is gonna bring the wood!!! Welcome to the best decision of your life RJ!!!

stew654
02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
lol whatever u do dont take #15.. "Ill take #98 before i do" haa the quickest way to a td is through #15 lol

Fishin'_Irish
02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Man.....we haven't had attitude like that in the secondary since Bobby Taylor!!! This kid is gonna bring the wood!!! Welcome to the best decision of your life RJ!!!

"I'm knockin' dicks in the dirt"

Hopefully not. :D:rolleyes:

irishunclebill
02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Profile Updated to reflect Final Star Ratings & Rankings on the recruiting boards.

IrishKnight1023
02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
For someone whose had over 120 and 7 Int's two years straight he does get the shaft rankings wise from all of the services except (Lemming). It doesn't matter though he'll be knockin dicks in the dirt for ND.

stonebreakerwasgod
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
You just wanted to say 'knocking dicks in the dirt' again.......admit it.

rice88
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
love the kids attitude!we really need this type of swagger.

notredomer23
04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
He was there at the game

Svoboda
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Robert Blanton Jr., a senior at Butler high school, has been awarded the AT&T Cadet Achievement Award medal for excellence in academics, leadership and citizenship.

AT&T partnered with the Carolina Freedom Foundation April 17, to honor young men and women from 18 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools high schools involved in the JROTC (Junior Reserves Officer Training Corps).

Blanton is a first lieutenant in the JROTC program. He has been a member since the program began in 2004. He has served as a squad leader, platoon leader and battalion executive officer.

"The JROTC has been a great thing in my life," Blanton said. "Winning the award was very special to me because I have so much respect for the U.S. Army and the JROTC staff from Butler. They helped me develop into the person that I am."

The program teaches conflict resolution, leadership, personal and group achievement, patriotism and responsibility. While military organization is taught, military service is not required.

Lt. Col. Richard Laughlin has seen Blanton identify with the commitment to become a better citizen. He said, "Cadet Blanton is very trustworthy. He is a born leader that everyone respects because of his actions."

Known to friends and family as "RJ," Blanton has achieved a 4.0 GPA. He also runs track and has lettered all four years. He qualified for the state championship in the high jump and high hurdles.

Blanton, a defensive back, also shone on the football field. He played varsity football for three years and was selected for All-State honors.

He has had other honors as well. Blanton was selected as the 2007 Charlotte Observer Defensive Player of the Year and to play in the 2007 Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas.

Blanton also was selected as a 2007 Carolina Panther Community Captain and will have the opportunity to teach at a football camp for fifth- and sixth-graders with Panthers players. He also was named to the U.S. Army High School All-Star Game for 2008, which took place in San Antonio, Texas.

Blanton, along with 12 other student-athletes, was selected to the Butler High School DREAM Team this year. DREAM stands for Daring to Role Model Excellence as Athletic Mentors. They promote living a drug-free, alcohol-free, tobacco-free and violence-free life.

Blanton visits local elementary and middle schools giving presentations on the advantages of living a substance-free life.

"Being part of the DREAM team gave me an opportunity to give back and promote a positive influence for kids," he said. "I am very blessed. God has been helping me and I want to help others."

Blanton gives back in other ways as well. He was a defensive coach for a recreation-league football team during the summer. He also volunteers at Charlotte Goodwill Industries and tutors children in reading at Lebanon Elementary School.

Blanton lives with his parents, Robert and Katherine Edwards, and his 4-year-old brother, Alexander. His father, Robert Blanton Sr., and sister, Whitney, 21, live in Virginia.

Blanton will attend Notre Dame in the fall on a football scholarship. He plans to major in business management and finance.

http://www.charlotte.com/someck/story/598652.html

rontdtarchala
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
there's so much to say to that...let's just go with...that's one hell of a good young man...there are always exceptions but the major majority of student/athletes at ND are the tops in their respective communities and we should be and are proud of each and every one of them...whether they shine in sports or academics...

IrishGrizz
04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I am not surprised about this- Mr Robert Blanton is a very well put together young man and I am not talking about his football playing abilities.

Svoboda
05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Heard Corwin made a surprise visit and spoke about Blanton at his ROTC ceremony.

NDGirlzRock
05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Heard Corwin made a surprise visit and spoke about Blanton at his ROTC ceremony.

That's why CB is such an awesome recruiter!!! How could you not want to play your heart out for a coach that does the little things like that!!! Blanton is going to kill somebody on the field for CB!!! Man I can't wait!!!

rontdtarchala
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
that is very impressive...everyone is doing the right things...now lets get it done on the field

IrishGrizz
05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
After reading about the young cadet, Mr Blanton, I think I have my new favorite player I will be pulling for over the next 4 years.

NDgrandson
10-17-2008, 02:26 AM
http://www.goldhelmet.com/picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=297

NDgrandson
11-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Robert looks like ex Laker Mychal Thompson.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/images/2007/12/15/thompson_030612_3.jpghttp://www.caribasket.net/eng/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mychal-thompson.jpg
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/848759.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1936808AB6AB7C5FBAB43785D6B8677506F 284831B75F48EF45

NDgrandson
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
http://notredame.scout.com/2/821778.html

Most of us saw the interview, but the read is good stuff too which includes material not on video.

“You want to see how I see it? You can come and be the best everyday or you can start thinking you’re the best and then I’m going to jump in front of you and I’m going to be the best because I’m coming to be the best everyday. If you think you’re going to stop me from being the best you’ve got another thing coming.”

This guy is so much fun to have on the team and I look forward to the years ahead.

The dynamic with Walls coming back should be interesting. Walls was on the brink of being, "the man" and he'll come back to meet Blanton and his mouth being all over the place a CB.

Walls, Blanton, McNeil, Gray, Slaughter and Pollard. Nice group.

IrishKnight1023
12-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah our secondary is obviously our biggest strength.

robertsgolf
12-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Need to get guys up front to put pressure on the passer and these guys will really shine.

NDgrandson
08-14-2011, 03:03 AM
2+ years since the last post in his thread. How did this guy go from the biggest trash talker on the team 1st day on campus to totally under the radar. No facebook or twitter account to my knowledge. Blanton is a great player that I feel will make an NFL roster. I thin khe has a huge season. I also think the same of Gary Gray, which bodes well for our defense.

I just wanted to give Blanton some love.

NDgrandson
08-14-2011, 03:08 AM
This kid is the funniest guy out there. He is so cocky, but it's funny and I love the attitude. First I heard a month or so back when someone was interviewing him they said......"What are your best attributes in football?" and his response....."everything".....haha.......when responding to going up against current ND recievers when he visited here......."So Robert how did you do against players that are already here at ND?"......."I put chains on em'"....not so shy about that haha.........and now I read on a message board that he was on Power Hour tonight and this took place....Mike Frank apparently asked him about the prospect of making a tackle on the first kickoff next year and Blanton said........"I'm knockin' dicks in the dirt" hahahahahaha.......come on somebody start a new poll of our current commits and let the good people of Gold Helmet vote on their favorite......because RJ........has my vote.

Just a refresher to support my previous post.

stonebreakerwasgod
08-14-2011, 03:12 AM
His mom is great too. Met her in line buying apparel before the spring game in 2010.
Blanton and Gray are going to look much better when our D does better against the run AND get penetration on passing downs.

NDgrandson
08-14-2011, 03:19 AM
This was a classic post from IK1023 that he pulled from a Michigan site. It is about not just RJ, but Corwin Brown and RJ's dad, "EMAN." Not certain, but has EMAN gone silent on the boards too?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=162#S=162&F=2017&T=719067

WOW, I'm assuming this EMAN...Blantons step dad on a Wolverine site telling a gooood story, I haven't finished it yet but here it is....

after reading the many comical post i couldn't help myself. i'll try to help a few on here that seem to have some sense. where do i start? michigan was NEVER his favorite school. of course he was excited about it because it was HIS FIRST OFFER! many people (especially your coaching staff) figured it was a wrap because he attented your camp for two years, his position coach whom he LOVES, has a friend on the staff. He's been in RJ's ear since he was a freshman about Michigan. Jamar Adams is an alum of his high school. So as you can see a lot of things in Michigan's favor.

First and foremost, for whatever reason he didn't get a good feel either time he camped there. I didn't even know this until we were on an unofficial at VT. I didn't ask him specifics because it didn't matter to me. Personally Michigan is one of my two favorite schools. My oldest son was born in Muskegon, but that's another story. No I'm not from there, born and raised in W Baltimore. Here is the deal plain and simple. Yes RJ had many offers, but only two schools recruited him, ND and VT. The wife and I favored VT and gave them an unfair advantage and they still blew it. (close to us) The bottom line is Corwin Brown got in his ear and it was a wrap plain and simple. I even emailed coach Gray and Sherman and told them if RJ had to commit today it would be ND. I told them I wasn't trying to tell them how to do their job, but if they wanted RJ they better step it up because CB was killing them. They asked what was he doing and I told them he's in his ear, or text every day. Coach Gray said he didn't like to hound recruits, I didn't say anything, I just left it alone. I said to myself if the dad told you he would commit to a guy that was in his ear everyday, then obviously he doesn't feel he's being hounded.

Other than Coach Sherman (cool guy, my wife loves him) and coach Gray I hadn't had any contact with a coach. When RJ told me coach Brown wanted to talk to me I was surprised. We talked for a little, and he mentioned something about texting me. I told him man I don't have time to be texting you, besides I don't even have it on my phone, I'd never texted before. He asked how was we going to establish a relationship? Well he started texting my wife and guess what she did? She got texting on MY PHONE!

Funny thing is, after a while, I found myself texting HIM to shoot the breeze. Keep in mind we NEVER talked about RJ, although i know many of you will find that hard to believe. The ONLY time we did was when he asked me what the holdup was with RJ committing? He told me up front that he was going to use RJ to bring in other kids, and I understood where he was coming from.

Now on to the fun stuff. Do you clowns (I'm talking ONLY of the ones who made stupid, uninformed comments about my son who obviously they know NOTHING about) So you think booboo scared him off? That's what I mean by UNINFORMED. They were at the SAME CAMP only ONE left with an offer and it sure as hell wasn't boo boo, so who do you think is the better prospect? He didn't get an offer until he got mvp at the combine in TX.

Another silly post I read was he didn't have the hips and whatever to be a D1 corner. I'm sure you're NOT an evaluator of talent because EVERY school is recruiting him as a DB including yours truely so again talk what you know. He plays in the toughest and best conference in the state. He ALWAYS matches up against the other teams BEST wideout and ALWAYS comes out on top. Ok, one time Hakeem Nicks destroyed his entire backfield one game. Let me give you an example of the type of player he is. After that game, (they were scheduled to play again the next week I believe, same conference, also you have to go through them to get to states) he went to his position coach and told the coach to let him play Nicks MAN TO MAN! Keep in mind I'm talking about a SOPHOMORE going up against a SENIOR. RESULTS? FOUR CATCHES, NO TOUCHDOWNS (he had three or four the previous game can't remember) NO BIG PLAYS. Same thing last year. Same team, different receiver last year. (Jason Barnes) Played him man to man and SHUT HIM DOWN. For those that may not know, Independence is the school with the nations longest winning streak. Well RJ DROPPED three sure picks. I told him if he hangs on to ONE, they probably win the game. They were up 21-0 and got the ball first in the second half. Again, played Indy a week or so later, and for some dumb reason, they play a zone and Barnes destroyed them. HE DROPPED two sure TD's.

For those of you who favor Spencer Adams, I have a little news for you. He's the THIRD best DB on the team. Eddie is the second best and it's not even close. People see his speed and automatically think he's a good football player. I'm not "hateing" on him because they're all my boys, I've been watching them for three years. Someone said the staff was higher on Spencer anyway? Yeah right. Spencer was at the camp also, did he get an offer before leaving? NO. Again, I hate to burst your bubble, but SPENCER IS NOT GOING TO UM. you can take that to the bank!

One final parting shot. As I said, RJ has been to your camp two years in a row. You were his first offer. We've never heard from any wolverine coaches. Well about a couple of weeks ago we get a call from coach English. Guess what he said? He wanted to introduce himself to us since he was recruiting our kid. HUH? WTF? It's a little late for that don't you think? You mean to tell me this guy has been to your camp two years straight (and it sure as hell isn't cheap), you've offered him, and you want to establish a relationship with his parents NOW? NEWSFLASH, Corwin Brown has been entrenched in that foxhole for a long time now, good luck getting him out. I know a lot of it is sour grapes that he not only didn't go to UM, but he went to a hated rival. But yall clowns need to stop dissing kids that choose a school other than yours, it's childish, but then again, I expect that from these forums.

Oh yeah, before I forget, RJ wasn't promised ANYTHING, especially playing time. Yes he knows their defense sucked, but THAT'S NOT WHY HE CHOOSE ND. Beside's Corwin, I think his teachers had a part in it. Whenever he mentioned ND, they all mentioned the education aspect (naturally being teachers) My son is an excellent player, but he's even a BETTER person. I assure you, you will NEVER hear about him in a negative way, so you guys can continue to hate on him if that makes you feel better.

I'll leave you with this, his mother asked did anyone promise him a starting position (the clowns on here are not the first to think that) he said "NO, you can't do that, what if you SUCK when you get there?"

NDgrandson
09-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Bump. Props to RJ!!!

wicket
09-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Bump. Props to RJ!!!

he played a blinder

NDgrandson
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Did you see that post game interview? He may be the most humble guy on the team now. Quite a change since his FR year.

IrishCrasher
09-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Whay to Step up Robert! Great Game!

mlcspinner
09-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Fantastic game for Blanton. I would rep him but that would be ridiculous.

daytonirish
09-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Fantastic game for Blanton. I would rep him but that would be ridiculous.

So you should instead give them to Irlandese. :theking:

sreepointer
09-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Whay to Step up Robert! Great Game!

Yeah, player of the game for sure. Great game.

NDGirlzRock
09-17-2011, 08:55 PM
He has really come into his own!!! Fabulous game!!!

ND from NE
09-17-2011, 10:38 PM
huge statement from the secondary when it was needed, great game Robert!

rebuildtherocket
09-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Wonder where Blanton gets drafted?

stonebreakerwasgod
09-17-2011, 11:51 PM
RJ is the equivalent of Lynch up front. Beast!

Domer Dog
09-18-2011, 08:59 AM
He really had a great game before the pick-off, that was the icing on the cake though. He was also the only DB to have a good game at UM. He will be playing on SUnday somewhere. Good size and length for the NFL, and decent speed.

NDisNCin2010
09-18-2011, 09:42 AM
best "gamer" in our secondary...

NDgrandson
01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Wonder where Blanton gets drafted?

ISDUpdate Irish Sports Daily
Former ND CB Robert Blanton gets NFL Combine invite. Irish Sports Daily Forums (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php/21157-Blanton-Gets-Combine-Invite?p=235417#post235417)
16 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I don't think he'll impress with speed at the combine, but they'll love his long arms. Whoever gets him will be a team I follow more closely. He's my favorite DB since Tommy Z.

rikrok58
01-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Blanton and Gray both get drafted in the mid rounds. Both are good tacklers, good height, not elite speed but Gray in particular always seemed to be in position to make a play and just never looked for the ball.

NDgrandson
01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
@robertblanton

He's on twitter! Let's see if he lay low and modest or returns to his FR form of having a big mouth.

adamsfamily03
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Blanton and Gray both get drafted in the mid rounds. Both are good tacklers, good height, not elite speed but Gray in particular always seemed to be in position to make a play and just never looked for the ball.
Gray will get drafted? I am no expert. Not by a long shot. But I wish the kid the best and hopes he gets his chance. But if he gets drafted, I would be very surprised. Blanton on the other hand should make a solid addition to any NFL team. I like his swag and I think he is skilled enough to be a productive NFL cornerback. Just my opinion.

lowayne
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
So Gray had a bad game against Michigan. He was our best corner last year and was rumored to be fighting injury this year. He is a good player.

DublinIrish
01-03-2012, 05:49 PM
can see gray going the same way as darrin walls did last year, undrafted but will make a team somewhere. id like to think blanton will be a late round pick i think he'd be a good tampa 2 cb and somebody like minnesota could use him

adamsfamily03
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
So Gray had a bad game against Michigan. He was our best corner last year and was rumored to be fighting injury this year. He is a good player.
I could be wrong. I also bought a Carolina Panthers CLAUSEN jersey. What in the hell do I know? :)

stew654
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Picked by ND North, good for RJ

pmarrack
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM
It's a race to see who's going to have more Notre Dame alums next year, the Minnesota Vikings or the Kansas Jayhawks.

lowayne
04-28-2012, 10:45 PM
It's a race to see who's going to have more Notre Dame alums next year, the Minnesota Vikings or the Kansas Jayhawks.

Well played.

DublinIrish
04-29-2012, 07:52 AM
id like to think blanton will be a late round pick i think he'd be a good tampa 2 cb and somebody like minnesota could use him

i am the new mike mayock

Purebred Irishman
04-29-2012, 11:10 AM
IrishIllustrated.com - Blanton joins Minnesota Irish (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1360204&PT=4&PR=2)

Robert Blanton won’t be lonely when he joins the Minnesota Vikings. He’ll be surrounded by plenty of Notre Dame connections.

Blanton, the 6-foot-0 ?, 201-pound defensive back who started 26 games and played 50 in an Irish uniform, was selected by the Vikings in the fifth round of the NFL draft Saturday. He’ll join four other players with Notre Dame degrees.

“(The Vikings) did their research and they signed the best guy,” laughed Blanton.

Safety Harrison Smith also was tabbed by Minnesota with the 29th overall pick of the first round Thursday. One half of Notre Dame’s starting 2011 secondary will join former Irish tight ends John Carlson and Kyle Rudolph, and center John Sullivan with the Vikings.

Carlson and Sullivan were in their final years at Notre Dame while the Irish recruited Blanton, and Rudolph was a teammate of Blanton’s from 2008-10.

“(Smith) and I talked on the phone, texted each other not too long ago,” Blanton said. “We were both pretty excited to be picked by the Vikings. That’s going to be fun, especially with the other guys I know.”

A confident, brash Blanton burst onto the scene as a freshman in ‘08, playing in 12 games and starting the last four. He intercepted a pass and returned it 47 yards for a score in the fourth game of his career versus Purdue.

He formed a three-man cornerback rotation with Darrin Walls and Gary Gray in 2009-10, and then started all 13 games for the Irish in 2011. Blanton finished with eight career interceptions - two each season -- and 193 tackles.

Blanton changed his body during the months since the Irish concluded the 2011 season in the Champs Sports Bowl against Florida State. A larger, thicker version auditioned for the NFL scouts at Notre Dame in early-April.

“I just wanted to make sure I got bigger, faster and stronger,” Blanton said. “A lot of teams were looking at me to play safety, so I kept a pretty lean frame.

“Playing corner didn’t require me to be as big, but I wanted to put on enough weight to let them know that I can play any position they want me to play. I wanted to make sure I stayed fast while putting on some weight.”

The speculation is that Blanton will play safety for the Vikings. When Irish Illustrated caught up to him Saturday afternoon at his home in North Carolina, he had yet to talk specifics with the Vikings.

“I’m not sure yet,” said Blanton when asked where he would play for the Vikings. “We haven’t talked about it. They just told me congratulations and welcome to the team.”

A few weeks from now, Blanton will wrap up his Notre Dame undergraduate experience with a degree in finance.

“It’s going to be awesome,” said Blanton of Notre Dame’s commencement ceremony on May 19. “It was a lot of hard work, just like football.

“My last two years at Notre Dame were great. When the new staff came in, it was amazing. They helped us out a lot. It’s a blessing.”

Sparks inda Loo
04-29-2012, 08:47 PM
His last 2 years were great that says a lot about Kelly and Company.

One of my favorite players from last year. I love his attitude and toughness

marv81s
09-21-2014, 06:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/captain-munnerlyn-body-slammed-drew-brees--who-wasn-t-happy-about-it-192633557.html