PDA

View Full Version : The University of Nasty Defense

Svoboda
03-09-2007, 09:47 AM
After solid back-to-back seasons under the Charlie Weis-led regime that saw the Irish play in consecutive BCS Bowls, there is yet again a renewed hope among the Irish faithful.

Following the 41-14 drubbing at the hands of an athletically superior Louisiana State team in the Sugar Bowl, the Notre Dame Football program was left with many questions, yet very few answers. Soon to be gone was a much decorated senior class led by standout quarterback Brady Quinn, wide out Jeff Samardzija and defensive end Victor Abiamiri.

But little did the Irish faithful know that there was another change a brewing. On January 13th, reports surfaced from various media outlets that defensive coordinator Rick Minter would be fired after two seasons with the Irish in favor of Corwin Brown, the New York Jets defensive backs coach.

No Defense Out, Nasty Defense In

Leaving town with Minter was his bend-but-please-please-pretty-please-don't-break 4-3 defensive scheme in lieu of the hybrid 3-4 made famous by Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots. Weis would later say the move to the new scheme was also partly for him due to his familiarity with the scheme and his interest to get more involved on the defensive side of the ball.

Brown, having played in the scheme as a member of the Patriots and having coached it during his time in New York seemed the perfect hire to implement the new defense at the college level. A young, intense and charismatic guy, Corwin Brown certainly wouldn't be considered "an uptight white coach" by any stretch of the imagination. Couple that with Brown’s extensive ties to the National Football League as both a player and coach, and Brown has a unique dynamic that few other defensive coordinators can bring to the table when recruiting potential defensive prospects.

So gone was the University of No Defense. Replacing it was the University of Nasty Defense: with a promise of a much more physical, aggressive and punishing scheme. Will the Notre Dame defense be able to shake the No Defense mantra with Brown at the helm? We'll see, but so far the early results are looking good.

The Early Results Are In

When 6-foot-4, 280 pound Marian Central Catholic defensive lineman Sean Cwynar gave his verbal commitment to Notre Dame this past Tuesday, he spoke glowingly of his time with Coach Brown calling him adjectives such as "electric" and "high energy" among other things. Cwynar became the first, but certainly not the last defensive blue chipper to commit to Notre Dame in 2008 -- something that has been a tough get for the Irish coaching staff since Weis has arrived in South Bend.

And it didn't stop with Cwynar. Ohio safety prospect Dan McCarthy also gave Coach Brown high marks calling him "very intense" after meeting with him to break down film of the defense he intends to run. Likewise for Illinois linebacker Steve Filer, who also spent time breaking down defensive film with Coach Brown during his junior day visit on March 4th.

But Brown isn't resting on his laurels. Notre Dame has offered over 15 top defensive prospects already, with many being among the cream of the crop in the Class of 2008. Among those offered include California linebacker Anthony McDonald, Pennsylvania linebacker Andrew Sweat and Florida defensive back T.J. Bryant.

While we're unsure of what the finished product will look like on the field, we already know that Brown relishes being the aggressor. The early results are in, and although they are early, it looks like Charlie Weis made the right hire to lead the Notre Dame defense back to glory -- or at least respectability to start.

With just over forty days until the annual Blue and Gold Game, Notre Dame Nation is already chomping at the bit to see what this new defense can do. If it is indicative of the man now running the show in South Bend, then aggressive, exciting and intense times are coming soon to Notre Dame Stadium.

scooper
03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Nicely done, Svo.

iloveirish_12
03-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Who do you think the best linebacker is going to be? McDonald or Sweat?

Tommy
03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
should be pretty damn hard to not be "much better" ?

stonebreakerwasgod
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Yea, it was embarrassing to watch lesser teams run over and around us. That would NOT have happened in the late 80s and early 90s. Our D was pretty darn solid then. It could only improve next year, if it doesn't...God help us and CW.

notredomer23
03-09-2007, 06:23 PM
its definitly going to improve. Corwin Brown is supposed to be a defensive genius.

Svoboda
03-09-2007, 07:19 PM
I can't honestly say I feel one is going to be better than the other. In watching film on both, they both carry a lot of the same characteristics. Both are physical, punishing linebackers who love to hit. Both are quick and have the abiliy to roam sideline to sideline to make the play. One difference I did see between them is McDonald is very methodical in his movements whereas Sweat seems to be a let's just get there and blow them up type.

Both are 4-star linebackers IMO easily and it would be an insane defensive class if we could get both of them. Picture Penn State with Connor and Poz and that is a possibility of how they could look together.

Sir John
03-10-2007, 06:41 PM
hell of a post be glad to reprint it elsewhere with permision sir.

notredomer23
03-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Dude what about Crum? hes going to be the best linebacker. Crums one of my favorite players to how could you forget him:eek:

BGIF
03-11-2007, 04:46 AM
... Corwin Brown is supposed to be a defensive genius.

We aren't jumping the gun here are we? He's had coordinated his first defensive practice yet. Let's see some visibile signs of improvement in on field performance before anointing ND's other genius.

BGIF
03-11-2007, 04:59 AM
The Notre Dame defense will...

What are the parameters?

Scoring D
Total D
Rushing D
Passing D
Pass Eff
Pass Eff D
3rd Down Conv
4th Down Conv
Sacks
TFLs
INTs
FUMs
TOs

Besides wishing and hoping with a virgin DC what's the basis for improvement (besides addition by subtraction, aka it's got to be better)?

Anybody want to provide some substance to support their vote?

Sir John
03-11-2007, 01:54 PM
nice write up... again I never had an Ok to re print it. I asked:cool:

Svoboda
03-11-2007, 02:22 PM
hell of a post be glad to reprint it elsewhere with permision sir.
Sure, that's fine as long as you provide a link back to here. That goes for all of the articles I write here.

Sir John
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
These were March articles I am re reading but I will always provide a link to GH If i get it here, Bascilly nothing new news wise so I am patrolling old articles and sifting:D

KMac151993
06-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Yea, it was embarrassing to watch lesser teams run over and around us. That would NOT have happened in the late 80s and early 90s. Our D was pretty darn solid then. It could only improve next year, if it doesn't...God help us and CW.

You mean in the early '90's when Minter was our DC?

stonebreakerwasgod
06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah, he wasn't bad then or at UC. Just became more of an issue lately because we look so damn slow and passive.

rontdtarchala
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
80's good d 90's heard many times our d called a bend but don't break d...you can play a d like that if you have the talent with enough speed if you don't it looks like what we've seen for the last several years...I want a damned raw meat eating blood dripping take no prisoners kill em all sort em out later d