PDA

View Full Version : Your Personal All-Time Favorite Upset Win

IrishDodger
06-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Notre Dame has a long history of defying the odds in college football. What's your favorite upset victory for the Irish? And...what's the one upset victory you would like to see from this year's regular season schedule? Right now, Vegas has ND as an underdog to MSU at East Lansing (+3) as well as being double digit dogs to SC in LA & OU in Norman.

jerseyborn1971
06-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Beating SC in LA, no question. Mostly because it may be the game that keeps SC out of the BCS NC.

Favorite was beating FSU under Ty Willingham.

IrishDodger
06-15-2012, 09:15 AM
My favorite is the 1992 Sugar Bowl after the 1991 season. ND was 10-3 in the regular season. They lost by 10 at Michigan and they lost by 3 touchdowns at Penn State. Their other loss was a complete meltdown vs. Tennessee at home. They were up big and allowed the Vols to come back and beat them 35-34 in what is still remembered as one of UT's greatest wins.

ND ended the season by narrowly escaping defeat at the hands of Hawaii 48-42. Once ND got invited to the Sugar Bowl to play SEC champ Florida, the press & the haters were out in full force. This was the famous Cheerios Bowl that Holtz claimed a waiter told him a joke that asked what's the difference between Notre Dame & Cheerios? Cheerios belong in a bowl.

Holtz had just fired his DC, Gary Darnell & assumed the DC role for the bowl game. In the spirit of Muhammed Ali, he devised a rope-a-dope scheme on defense that would allow Shane Mathews & the Gators receivers to rack up tons of yards but not allow them to convert to TDs. Meanwhile, Jerome Bettis ran roughshod over the UF defense. Spurrier was throwing his visor while ND cruised to a convincing win over the Gators.

eric_navy
06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
My favorite is the 1992 Sugar Bowl after the 1991 season. ND was 10-3 in the regular season. They lost by 10 at Michigan and they lost by 3 touchdowns at Penn State. Their other loss was a complete meltdown vs. Tennessee at home. They were up big and allowed the Vols to come back and beat them 35-34 in what is still remembered as one of UT's greatest wins.

ND ended the season by narrowly escaping defeat at the hands of Hawaii 48-42. Once ND got invited to the Sugar Bowl to play SEC champ Florida, the press & the haters were out in full force. This was the famous Cheerios Bowl that Holtz claimed a waiter told him a joke that asked what's the difference between Notre Dame & Cheerios? Cheerios belong in a bowl.

Holtz had just fired his DC, Gary Darnell & assumed the DC role for the bowl game. In the spirit of Muhammed Ali, he devised a rope-a-dope scheme on defense that would allow Shane Mathews & the Gators receivers to rack up tons of yards but not allow them to convert to TDs. Meanwhile, Jerome Bettis ran roughshod over the UF defense. Spurrier was throwing his visor while ND cruised to a convincing win over the Gators.

That was a great one. "I'll guarantee you, Steve Spurrier didn't think that his ball club could lose to Notre Dame today." @5:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cUyCdytcPY

Jiggafini19
06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Agreed on the Sugar Bowl beat down of UF.

A lot of people ate shit burgers after that one

IrishDodger
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Both FSU victories were great. The '93 game likely had a small point spread but other than ND fans, everyone had FSU winning that game. Bowden was going to get a NC that year by hook or crook. I just hate that the score ended up closer than the game really was.

The '02 game was definitely an upset. ND didn't just grind out a late 4th quarter victory...they came out from the first whistle and kicked FSU's ass. I wished ND would have kept their foot on the gas for all 4 quarters b/c I remember thinking at the end of that game that ND had lost their momentum. Sure enough they lay an egg in South Bend against an average Boston College team.