PDA

View Full Version : Bad Calls that Led to a Loss

IrishDodger
06-11-2012, 10:19 PM
This is purely subjective, but we all have one of those memories of when ND was blatantly robbed of a win by a referee's call. While it may cause you to relive a not-so-golden moment...post your nightmare here....It doesn't have to be the worst call in history...just one that really left a sour taste in your mouth.

JDNDSyrnafan
06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Rocket return.

IrishDodger
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Rocket return.

That's the one that jumps to my mind instantly. It's probably the consensus #1 on this board. Hell, it's probably one of the most egregious in CFB history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqC_Br3cDJg

IrishDodger
06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Bush Push was painful, but ND should have never allowed SC to complete the 4th & 9. That being said, Wooden had pretty good man coverage & Leinart threw the perfect pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weu3ShNvyvE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weu3ShNvyvE

ND from NE
06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Rocket return.

worst call in history AND left a sour taste .... horrendous call and it had big time ramifications

Svoboda
06-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Bush Push was painful, but ND should have never allowed SC to complete the 4th & 9. That being said, Wooden had pretty good man coverage & Leinart threw the perfect pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weu3ShNvyvE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weu3ShNvyvE

Wooden always gets busted on that but that is a throw that Zbi should have picked off. I thought he was out of position watching it and remember mentioning it on IE back in the day.

IrishDodger
06-11-2012, 11:15 PM
1964 vs SC
Ara's 1st season
ND was 9-0 when they traveled to LA to play 6-3 SC.
A win over SC would have given ND their first NC since '49, their first undefeated season since '53, and the most stunning turnaround in CFB history.

excerpt from "Talking Irish":

"Notre Dame led 17-0 at halftime. After USC scored to make it 17-7, the Irish apparently went up 24-7 on a fourth-quarter TD run from one yard out. But Irish tackle Bob Meeker was penalized for holding.

The points were nullified and ND failed to score. So the Irish still led w/ 1:33 left, but only 17-13. USC had fourth-and-eight at the Irish 15 when QB Craig Fertig looked for Rod Sherman over the middle. Sherman beat Tony Carey to the inside, caught the pass at the three, and scored the winning TD."

The phantom holding call still stings to this day. Even USC players & fans admit they got a break. Their QB was talking about the ref that made the holding call and said, "All I can say is thank God for Jack Springer (ref)".

IrishDodger
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
This one did not lead to a loss, but it robbed a horrible 2007 team of two memorable highlights...one of which would have ranked up there w/ the Stanford-Cal lateral. Stanford was one of only 3 teams to get beat by ND that year but the refs did everything they could to help the Cardinal. First they take points off the board when David Grimes made a beautiful diving catch that was ruled a TD but then overturned by evidence that didn't exist. Then Trevor Laws gets flagged on some horseshit call while the defense takes a last second INT back to the house via several well placed laterals.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=notre+dame+lateral+return&view=detail&mid=A8003589D7EE12F31ABBA8003589D7EE12F31ABB&first=0

IrishDodger
06-11-2012, 11:30 PM
worst call in history AND left a sour taste .... horrendous call and it had big time ramifications

Colorado has to be the luckiest team to ever "win" a share of a NC in CFB history.

Before robbing ND in the Orange Bowl, the Buffs had the infamous "fifth down" call vs Mizzou that led to a win, a last-play TD at home against Stanford, a last-play end-zone INT to save a win over Washington, a tie against Tennessee and a one-point loss at Illinois. This 1990 Colorado team had the most controversial, and eventful, run to a (half) national title than any team I can think of.

TexasDomer
06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
In Holtz's first year, we should have beaten Michigan in the first game. The TE (Joel Williams, I think) caught a ball in the back of the end zone, but the ref called him out of bounds. I think a similar call costs us vs. PSU that same year.

NotreDameNate
06-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I can't watch that ND vs. USC all the way through. I wish they would have just scored and we get the ball with 1:20 or so. One of the most painful losses I've witnessed.

Jiggafini19
06-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Throwing a pick in the end zone against Tulsa despite having a red hot kicker that was within his range to win the game.

Bob Davie's overall use of timeouts/clock management in 1999.

Or is this limited strictly to officiating?

domehead1
06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
"Roughing the center"

**note- not sure if we lost this game or not...I believe it was against michigan (sucks).

IrishDodger
06-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Throwing a pick in the end zone against Tulsa despite having a red hot kicker that was within his range to win the game.

Bob Davie's overall use of timeouts/clock management in 1999.

Or is this limited strictly to officiating?

The idea was based on poor officiating, but Davie & clock mgmt is definitely a worthy subtopic. The Nebraska game in 2000 leaps to mind...ouch!

IrishDodger
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I believe it was the 2009 scUM game @ Ann Arbor w/ B10 refs where Armando Allen was ruled out of bounds on a TD run that was clearly in bounds. ND didn't score on that drive & subsequently lost the first of three lat second heartbreakers to the Skunkbears. I believe that game touched off the topic of ending the agreement of scUM getting B10 refs at home.

Jiggafini19
06-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I believe it was the 2009 scUM game @ Ann Arbor w/ B10 refs where Armando Allen was ruled out of bounds on a TD run that was clearly in bounds. ND didn't score on that drive & subsequently lost the first of three lat second heartbreakers to the Skunkbears. I believe that game touched off the topic of ending the agreement of scUM getting B10 refs at home.

That's the one everyone remembers. Sam Young got called for a hold agaisnt Craig Roh in that game when all he did was wipe his ass with him and destroy him on the block.

This all usually equals out. ND got some calls their way against UW in 2009, though the Pitt game that year was also pretty bad.

HoffVir
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
That's the one everyone remembers. Sam Young got called for a hold agaisnt Craig Roh in that game when all he did was wipe his ass with him and destroy him on the block.

This all usually equals out. ND got some calls their way against UW in 2009, though the Pitt game that year was also pretty bad.

Armando getting an Unsportsmanlike for putting his finger to his mouth (to the crowd). Michigan (sucks) getting nothing for smacking/punching Olsen in the face right in front of the ref ... I could go on for a while. A shit game at a shit hole. May it burn down some day soon, amen.

Irish Joe
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Grimes' catch against Stanford

NDAlumSon
06-12-2012, 02:42 PM
John Ryan being offered a scholarship. Somebody should've thrown a flag.

irishunclebill
06-12-2012, 03:03 PM

Interestingly enough WNDU later showed a picture (at the link) from a different angle which seems to show that AA actually did step out of bounds. However as they also noted that angle was not available to the replay crew at the time and since the play was ruled a TD on the field it should have never been overturned.

http://www.wndu.com/ndfootball/headlines/59194447.html

Upon further review of WNDU's own video footage, Armando Allen appears to indeed have stepped out of bounds on an early touchdown in the 1st quarter of Saturday's loss to Michigan that was overturned by officials after review.

On Saturday night, we showed you one WNDU camera angle that appeared to show no conclusive evidence that Allen was out. A second WNDU camera, however, shows the video above---which shows Armando's foot being out.

Of course, only the camera angles shown by ABC/ESPN really matter in this situation in terms of the officials overturning the call. The play was ruled a touchdown on the field, meaning replay officials needed conclusive evidence to overturn it.

No camera angle shown by ABC/ESPN showed anything conclusive enough to actual overturn the call from the field, where multiple officials on that sideline watching Allen's feet ruled it a touchdown.

So, regardless of the fact that Allen appears to actually be out, the call probably should have stood as a touchdown.

The Irish ended up settling for a field goal on the drive, meaning they lost four points because of the call.

Notre Dame lost the game by four points.

Jiggafini19
06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Armando getting an Unsportsmanlike for putting his finger to his mouth (to the crowd). Michigan (sucks) getting nothing for smacking/punching Olsen in the face right in front of the ref ... I could go on for a while. A shit game at a shit hole. May it burn down some day soon, amen.

Thank Kevin White for agreeing to Michigan having Big Ten officials at home when the road team normally brings a crew. Michigan still got to bring Big 10 officials to South Bend, so putting that in writing was blatantly dumb. He must have missed Negotiating 101 at Central Michigan when he was getting his master's there. I assume it was him anyway that walked into that shit contract. Just plain stupid to agree to that concession. I believe Captain Jack had this amended, though.

The only thing worse than the officiating that day was the Notre Dame defense.