PDA

View Full Version : '14 NY OT/DT Jay Hayes (11/7/12 Notre Dame LOI)

zimmsbg78
03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Offensive Tackle/ Defensive Tackle
Brooklyn, New York
Poly Prep

Links of Interest:
Jay Hayes - Yahoo! Sports (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Jay-Hayes-129161)

Jay Hayes (http://247sports.com/Player/Jay-Hayes-19393?pi=31282)

Height:6'5"
Weight:270 lbs
Class:2014 (High School)

Multimedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU43pmFCi6k&feature=player_embedded

Jay currently holds a verbal offer from UConn. Receiving interst from ND, UGA, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Rutgers, Temple and UCLA. Jay has attended a few underclassmen combines and has performed extremely well at all of them. He has unofficially visited Rutgers this past season for a game. He calls a ND offer a dream offer. Jay currnetly lists ND and UGA as leaders.

zimmsbg78
05-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Jay has received a verbal offer from scUM for OL. He released a current top four of ND, scUM, UGA and Rutgers.

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 10:35 PM
ND has offered.

zimmsbg78
06-06-2012, 07:44 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7104-2014-ot-high-on-nd (free)

During the spring evaluation period, 2014 offensive tackle Jay Hayes (Brooklyn, NY) got a feel for what it's like to be a heavily-recruited prospect.

The 6-foot-5, 275-pound lineman saw college coaches from some of the top programs in the country walking the halls of Poly Prep last month.

"It was an honor to see so many of the great coaches that I've seen on TV my whole life," he said. "I could tell that a lot of the coaches seemed to really like me, so I wanted to let them know that I'm serious about college. I want the coaches to know that it's important to me to excel as a student and an athlete."

The Brooklyn native has received early offers from Notre Dame, Connecticut, Maryland, Michigan, Oregon, UCLA, Penn State, Rutgers, Temple and Syracuse. He also feels that Ohio State and Georgia could be close to offering.

Notre Dame is a school that Hayes is highly interested in early on and he's aiming to get up to South Bend sometime this summer.

"I'm thinking about visiting Notre Dame and Michigan in July," he shared. " I'd like to visit quite a few schools this summer so I can get an idea of what I'm looking at. I'm going to try real hard to get out to the Midwest next month so I can visit Notre Dame, Michigan and maybe a few others."

The Irish and Wolverines are two schools that have caught Hayes' attention and both programs figure to be major players throughout his recruitment.

"Notre Dame and Michigan are two of the best programs in the country with the blend of football and school," he noted. "I like that Notre Dame makes its own schedule and they have the NBC contract which is great for exposure. Both schools have a lot of the qualities I'm looking for in a college, but I'll need to visit to make sure it's the right place for me."

Hayes has also gotten knowledge about the Notre Dame program from another Poly Prep and Notre Dame alumni Eric Olsen.

"Eric is a great player and a good guy," said Hayes. "I try to emulate the things that he did in high school to help get him to Notre Dame. He helped me learn about Notre Dame before they ever gave me an offer. He's definitely someone I can lean on for advice about recruiting."

For now, Hayes plans to take his time with the recruiting process.

"To be recruited is an honor and a privilege, so I plan to take full advantage of that," he stated. "These coaches offer you based on potential and I want to show the upside I can bring to a team. I don't care if I play on offense or defense; I just want the chance to play college football."

zimmsbg78
09-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Wisconsin has verbally offered.

irishunclebill
10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Now listing Notre Dame as his sole leader.

HoffVir
11-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Notre Dame has landed a commitment...
Jason Sapp
2 minutes ago

2014 DT Jay Hayes.

Getting the story now...

This post was edited by Jason Sapp on 11/7/2012 at 10:45 AM

http://notredame.247sports.com/Board/87/Notre-Dame-has-landed-a-commitment-13796181

DiamDawg
11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
The things this kid says and the way he says them lead me to believe he is most definetly and undoubtabtly a RKG .... Love what he said and the hunger and appreciattion in his words for the position hes in ...

HoffVir
11-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Hayes Commits To ND
Wednesday, 07 November 2012 11:51 Christian McCollum

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/images/resized/images/stories/2014_recruits/jayhayes1_200_200.jpg

Notre Dame picked up its third commitment in the Class of 2014 on Wednesday in the form of 2014 offensive lineman/defensive lineman Jay Hayes.

"Yessir!!! Go ND!!!," Hayes texted Irish Sports Daily.

The 6-foot-5, 275-pounder from Brookyln's Poly Prep chose the Irish over offers from Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Maryland and Rutgers among several others.

Hayes had a top three of Notre Dame, Michigan and Rutgers early in the process, but last month told Irish Sports Daily that Notre Dame was out in front. He could end up on either side of the ball, but has recently started to develop a sincere affection for defense.

Hayes joins Indiana wide receiver Justin Brent and Virginia linebacker Greer Martini in the Irish's early 2014 haul.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8056-hayes-commits-to-nd

HoffVir
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
JC Shurburtt ‏@jcshurburtt
Jay Hayes is a tenacious, intense DT. Has liked ND for a while. Great 2014 get. #Irish
12:48 PM - 7 Nov 12

IrishGrizz
11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
I love this size on D line- I always think we can get more guys his size on the O line, but too few can be as successful on the D line.

JMR8
11-07-2012, 05:07 PM
HUGE pick up! Literally...lol. I like how 2013 is finishing and i like how 2014 is starting. Wasn't sure if he was an OL or DL, but apparetnly he chalked in for DT. Big need in the '14 class! Awesome....is all i have to say.

Go Irish!

Jiggafini19
11-07-2012, 09:37 PM
http://www.miserableretailslave.com/Simon%20Phoenix.jpg

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/953/453/7_453953.jpg

Purebred Irishman
11-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Another kid who commits to ND without ever visiting ND beforehand. Great pick up for ND and congrats to Jay for his decision

mlcspinner
11-08-2012, 04:37 AM
great news to start the day ! How many stops left for 2014 now :laugh:

zimmsbg78
11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting (free)

Notre Dame picked up its third commitment in the Class of 2014 on Wednesday in the form of 2014 offensive lineman/defensive lineman Jay Hayes.

“Yessir!!! Go ND!!!,” Hayes texted Irish Sports Daily.

“It's an honor to announce that I'll be a part of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2018,” Hayes later added on Facebook. “Go Irish!”

The 6-foot-5, 275-pounder from Brookyln's Poly Prep chose the Irish over offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Maryland, UCLA, Washington and Rutgers among several others.

Hayes had a top three of Notre Dame, Michigan and Rutgers early in the process, but last month told Irish Sports Daily that Notre Dame was out in front.

Hayes, who comes from the same high school as former Irish offensive lineman Eric Olsen, was impressed by the combination of athletics and academics that Notre Dame provides.

“I’ve been rooting for Notre Dame and it’s a great academic institution,” he told ISD last month. “You have to look at a school like that because a lot kids can’t get in there. Me using football as a vehicle to get a degree or move on to the next level and have an opportunity to win a national championship, it’s amazing. You have to take advantage of those opportunities.”

He could end up on either side of the ball, but has recently started to develop a sincere affection for defense.

“I think I’m having a better defensive year than offensive year,” he said. “I’m really enjoying the defensive side of the ball. I like being able to make plays for the team, being able to get in that backfield in under three seconds.”

“I’m still not sure, but I think I’m leaning toward defense.”

Hayes joins Indiana wide receiver Justin Brent and Virginia linebacker Greer Martini in the Irish's early 2014 haul.

Irish#1
11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
This young man has the frame to get even bigger and be a major space eater. He's not rated extremely high (low 4 star) by a few of the services, but when your offer lists includes ND, Bama, Florida, FSU, scUM, Auburn and quite a few other major programs then you know he's legit.

NDAlumSon
11-08-2012, 01:09 PM
This young man has the frame to get even bigger and be a major space eater. He's not rated extremely high (low 4 star) by a few of the services, but when your offer lists includes ND, Bama, Florida, FSU, scUM, Auburn and quite a few other major programs then you know he's legit.Wait'll Farrell reviews him. He's really smart and usually right on everything.

HoffVir
11-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Notre Dame football recruiting: DL Hayes chooses Irish sight unseen
By TYLER JAMES - Follow me @TJamesNDI
South Bend Tribune

5:12 a.m. EST, November 8, 2012

When Notre Dame started recruiting Jay Hayes, the high school junior defensive lineman knew who could offer him information about the school. He just wasn’t sure if that person would respond.

He typed a Facebook message to Irish sophomore linebacker Ishaq Williams, a fellow native of Brooklyn, N.Y., to find out what the university was like but knowing Williams would be busy in the middle of his season.

To his surprise, Hayes heard back from Williams and found out everything he wanted to know.

“He told me you have to find your fun at Notre Dame but at the end of the day once you graduate and get your degree, you’re set for life,” Hayes said.

The conversation left such an impression on Hayes that on Wednesday morning he was ready to pledge a commitment to the Irish program without ever visiting campus.

He called his recruiter, Irish defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, and became the third verbal commitment of the 2014 class.

“He was amped up,” Hayes said of Diaco’s response. “Brian Kelly and the whole staff were in shock and awe. The whole staff was going nuts on the phone.”

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound prospect from Brooklyn Poly Prep projects as a defensive lineman with the versatility to play end or nose guard in Diaco’s 3-4 scheme.

Hayes said he chose Notre Dame over Alabama, Michigan, Florida and Oregon.

“I’ll just be rotating around disrupting things and causing problems for the offense,” Hayes said.

As Hayes has watched the Brooklyn area recover from the devastation left behind by Super Storm Sandy, he realized he didn’t need to wait longer to commit to Notre Dame.

“It’s a great opportunity for me and I just wanted to take advantage of it by committing early and getting everything out of the way,” Hayes said. “I can focus on school and becoming a better student and look at what I want to major in and other parts of academics other than football.”

Hayes’ home was kept safe from the storm but one of his teammates lost his home. Hayes and his fellow classmates returned to school Monday after a week of class had been canceled.

With his high school season over, Hayes hopes to make his first visit to Notre Dame on Nov. 17 for the Wake Forest game. He’s been watching the Irish plow through the season of nationally televised games with an undefeated record. Still, Hayes insists the wins this season weren’t a huge part of what won him over.

“It really hasn’t impacted my opinion of Notre Dame. My goal was still to go to Notre Dame and be a playmaker regardless if they went 0-7 to start the season,” Hayes said. “It really didn’t affect me if they went undefeated or not. But when I go there I know I want to go undefeated and get a national title.”

247Sports.com national recruiting writer Steve Wiltfong said the Irish coaching staff has been able to focus on the 2014 recruiting class as the 2013 group nears capacity. Hayes joins wide receiver Justin Brent and linebacker Greer Martini as the third member of the class.

“The great season they’re having has positively affected the 2013 class, and now it’s starting to do that with the 2014 group,” Wiltfong said.

Wiltfong labels Hayes as a blue-chipper who can play anywhere on the defensive line for the Irish. Hayes is rated as the No. 8 defensive tackle by 247Sports.com and No. 114 overall.

“Notre Dame is getting more athletic in its front seven, and this is another elite athlete they’re plugging in there,” Wiltfong said. “Their depth is going to be amazing.

“These are the guys they were missing on when they were getting pummeled in BCS games in 2005 and 2006. Now they’re getting the top-echelon guys.”

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/notredame/sbt-notre-dame-football-recruiting-dl-hayes-chooses-irish-sight-unseen-20121108,0,7483321.story

IrishCrasher
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
So great to hear welcome Hayes!!!

SouthernIrish
11-09-2012, 07:31 AM
this guys seems to be really impressive. If we can pair him with McDowell, we will be set for a long time. I just hope he sticks. If he shows up to campus and isn't impressed, it could be sad. Keep happy thoughts.

zimmsbg78
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8091-recruiting-week-in-review (free)

Jay Hayes, DL, 6-5, 275, Poly Prep Country Day School, Brooklyn, NY became Notre Dame’s third commitment in the class of 2014. Though Hayes (pictured) has yet to visit Notre Dame, he felt like the Irish scholarship offer was an opportunity that he just couldn’t turn down.

“Once you have an opportunity like that, you just want to take advantage of it and let them know and give them your word,” stated Hayes. “You want to let them know. I’m serious about this decision and there’s no need to recruit anyone else. I just felt it. I felt that was the place I need to be.”

Hayes chose Notre Dame over schools such as Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Florida, Clemson, Penn State, Michigan and many others. Hayes had very definite reasons for picking the Irish.

“The academic opportunity and the connections and the support system that are there and the character that they embody,” explained Hayes as to why he chose Notre Dame. “It’s just phenomenal; it’s a great football program and academic institution.”

While many of the programs recruiting Hayes wanted him as an offensive lineman, Notre Dame projects him on the other side of the ball.

“I’ll be playing defensive end and defensive tackle, rotating around,” stated Hayes. “I’ve got a motor and I’ve got a knack for finding the ball and making the players around me much better by taking on double teams. A lot of defensive linemen don’t understand that Notre Dame’s defense is set up around linebackers. If it involves taking on a double team and letting a linebacker make the play, that’s what you’ve got to do.”

Hayes doesn’t just see himself as a space eater though. He is confident in his ability to make plays as well.

“I can rush the passer and get there within three seconds,” the talented New Yorker stated. “I’m going to be working on all of my skills, especially moving to the college level because it’s a big jump.”

Hayes doesn’t plan to waste any time getting started.

“I get a chance now to turn my body into a college athlete and to work out and train hard,” Hayes said. “Now, it’s not on my mind where I want to go. Now, I’m going to work out so I can dominate in college.”

Hayes hopes to take his first trip to South Bend next weekend for the Wake Forest game.

“I’ll probably be out there for the Wake Forest game,” he informed Irish Sports Daily. “It’s going to be nuts. I’m going to be so excited. I’m probably going to be mesmerized.”

zimmsbg78
12-27-2012, 07:08 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8370-hayes-loves-nd-community (free)

Since committing to Notre Dame last month, Jay Hayes has appreciated the outpouring of support from Notre Dame Nation.

“I’m just enjoying the feeling that the Notre Dame fans are there to support you,” the 2014 defensive lineman from Poly Prep in Brooklyn said. “That’s great. Through Twitter and Facebook, they’re just giving me words of encouragement and support.

“I spoke to one of my coaches at school. My school is known as a huge community with giving and helping others, but when you look at Notre Dame, that’s the epitome of a community. Everyone there loves each other and wants to help. That’s incredible.”

The 6-foot-4, 275-pounder feels just as good about his decision to select the Irish now as he did a month ago.

“I definitely feel confident,” he said. “A lot of people say, ‘Why wouldn’t you pick another school? Why wouldn’t you go to Oregon? Why wouldn’t you go to USC? Why wouldn’t you go to Ohio State?’ The opportunity and it’s about the bigger picture.

“When you talk about community, there’s no other community like Notre Dame. Notre Dame is the epitome of community. I feel great there already.”

And Hayes hasn’t even been to Notre Dame yet. He was supposed to visit for the team’s final home game of the season in November, but wasn’t able to make it. He’s looking forward to getting there at some point, possibly for a junior day.

“It’s crazy,” he said. “I haven’t even visited Notre Dame yet, but I know when I go, I’ll definitely like it.”

Notre Dame will be the only school he visits as the touted lineman also said flatly that he has no plans to check out any other schools and is completely content with his selection.

Irish defensive coordinator Bob Diaco should be in Brooklyn sometime after the BCS National Championship Game in January to check on Hayes. He was also excited to hear about Notre Dame receiving another 2014 commitment since his in the form of Cleveland offensive lineman Jimmy Byrne.

“I haven’t really had a chance to watch tape of him,” said Hayes, who welcomed Byrne to the Notre Dame community via Twitter.

“I’ve looked at tape of Justin Brent, he’s phenomenal, he’s a great athlete. Greer Martini is good too. I think once we get the chemistry going, we’ll be rolling.”

Hayes has been paying attention to Notre Dame’s 2013 recruiting efforts as well and called the commitment of Florida running back Greg Bryant “huge.”

“It’s great,” he added. “I take it as an honor that they’re very talented. That’s going to drive me. I’m going to be at practice pushing them and making them get better. When it comes to practice, I take that seriously. If someone is slacking then that’s disrespectful to me because I’m trying to get a rep. As soon as I get my opportunity to practice with ND, I’m just going to go all out.”

Hayes is looking forward to watching his future teammates take on Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 7th.

“I think Notre Dame is going to win if they come together as a unit and win the turnovers,” he said. “I think it’s going to come down to who’s tougher and who wants it more. I think Notre Dame will win if their defense remains stout.”

Since the end of his season, Hayes has been doing some yoga in order to increase flexibility and get healthy. He’s also been working with a personal trainer along with his friend and former high school teammate Jesse Bongiovi. The son of rocker and Irish fan Jon Bon Jovi, Bongiovi is planning to walk on at Notre Dame next fall possibly as a cornerback, according to Hayes.

NDisNCin2010
12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
interesting that Jon Bon Jovis kid plans to walk on at ND.

irishnd31
12-27-2012, 01:14 PM
interesting that Jon Bon Jovis kid plans to walk on at ND.

Not sure how his father will be able to pay the tuition??

NDAlumSon
12-27-2012, 03:23 PM
interesting that Jon Bon Jovis kid plans to walk on at ND.He's not gonna walk on. He's a cowboy and on a steel horse he rides.

stonebreakerwasgod
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
That was a shot to the heart

luckofirish8
12-27-2012, 04:15 PM
He's wanted (as a preferred walk-on).

lowayne
12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I wonder if Charlie Weis still has Jon Bon Jovi on speed dial over at KU? It was fun having a Bon Jovi halftime show in '08.

zimmsbg78
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
From November........with video interview about deciding on ND.

http://www.msgvarsity.com/brooklyn-b...dame-1.1246797

Jay Hayes didn’t need to visit South Bend, Ind. to know Notre Dame was the right fit for him.

The school and its historic football program offered everything the Poly Prep two-way lineman needed – elite academics, tremendous alumni base and, of course, high-level college football with unparalleled exposure.

“The tradition is there, TV every Saturday and movies like [Rudy],” Hayes told MSG Varsity. “Just being on the roster at Notre Dame, you go down in the history books. It’s something I really want to do in my career.”

Hayes followed up on that Wednesday morning, phoning Fighting Irish coach Brian Kelly to verbally commit to Notre Dame.

“My heart was racing when I was talking to Brian Kelly,” Hayes said. “He was just happy, the staff was excited. It’s tremendous. Words can’t even explain it.”

Hayes, a 6-foot-5, 270-pound three-year starter at Poly Prep, had 53 BCS-level offers from powerhouse programs including Michigan, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State and Georgia. But Hayes said no school had more to offer, both on the football field and in the classroom, than Notre Dame.

Hayes, 17, follows in the footsteps of Eric Olsen, a 2006 Poly Prep graduate who started 31 games for the Fighting Irish and now plays for the New Orleans Saints.

“The thing about it was the academic part of it, the connections with Notre Dame and Poly Prep and also the football program,” Hayes said. “Even if they lost every game, I would still consider them. Being a great academic institution was a big part of my decision.”

In camps and combines, Hayes became a national recruit as a quick and physical offensive lineman. Poly Prep coach Dino Mangiero said he noticed a difference in Hayes, a first team All-City selection by MSG Varsity a year ago, in the preseason.

“He’s always been a tremendous kid, a tremendously hard working young man, but he’s just so much bigger and stronger now,” he said. “He came into the program as a big kid, but now he’s quite the force in the weight room and he’s much quicker and much stronger now because he’s kind of grown into his body now and is becoming a man.”

Hayes also opened eyes on the defensive side of the ball and he said Notre Dame, currently ranked No. 4 in the country, made him the top priority at defensive tackle in the Class of 2014.

“They really wanted me,” Hayes said. “The defensive line coach [Mike Elston] is happy. They were screaming, just as happy as can be.”

The feeling was mutual.

“It’s hard to explain because my heart was just racing,” Hayes said. “It was just a joyful feeling, a feeling of relief and happiness.”

Hayes is the third junior to verbally commit to Notre Dame, following linebacker Greer Martini (Woodbury Forest, Va.) and wide receiver Justin Brent (Speedway, Ind.), who announced their decisions in July.

Hayes said he plans on finally visiting the campus next week. After playing at Boston College this Saturday, the Irish return home to take on Wake Forest on Nov. 17. Hayes said he already has thought about what it would be like to wear the Blue and Gold.

“I envisioned myself making sacks and waving to the crowd,” Hayes said. “It’s an incredible feeling to be part of something like that.”

SouthernIrish
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Hmmmm...that sounded like he is really committed to ND. No way that kid is getting a boost in ranking as a prospect unless he attends a ton of camps which i can't see why he would.

HoffVir
02-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Irish Sports Daily ‏@ISDUpdate
2014 #NotreDame DL commit Jay Hayes (@Jay_Hayes7) tells ISD that he will NOT be at #UConn Jr. Day as reported elsewhere.
8:58 a.m. - Feb 16, 2013

zimmsbg78
02-22-2013, 09:08 AM
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/notredame/recruiting/sbt-notre-dame-football-recruiting-hayes-sold-on-irish-20130221,0,3614775.story

When college coaches continue to reach out to him, Jay Hayes remembers the deal he made with his recruiter, Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, when he verbally committed to the Irish in November.

The junior defensive lineman from Brooklyn, New York, has heard from a number of schools since -- Florida, Florida State, Wisconsin and USC, to name a few -- but has told them all "No thanks."

"I'm not going out for other visits," Hayes said. "I'm not shopping around. Me and coach Diaco are keeping up the deal that we have with each other."

Recent reports had Hayes set for a visit to Connecticut, but the 6-foot-5, 259-pound prospect said the trip never happened. In fact, Hayes has yet to visit Notre Dame, despite already offering the program his verbal commitment.

Plans to visit South Bend since committing have fallen through a number of times, but Hayes said he's locked in for a March visit with a flight already booked.

Meanwhile, Hayes said he's enjoying life as an Irish commit, one of four prospects so far in the 2014 class.

"It's been going well. The fans are definitely welcoming. They've been treating me real nice," said Hayes, who's active with fans on Twitter.

"I've been getting a lot of congratulations from everyone. I've been able to focus on school and hang out with friends and still be a teenager."

A teenager that's ranked as the No. 125 prospect in the national 2014 class by 247Sports.com and No. 249 overall by Rivals.com. Hayes' offseason has been filled with numerous accolades, including being named to first-team all-metro and all-state teams in New York.

He was, however, disappointed in his Rivals ranking and not making an All-America team. Hayes said he'll use those perceived snubs as motivation and may seek out a camp or two to compete in and prove himself.

Hayes is more focused on his school work at Poly Prep. A one-sport athlete, Hayes devotes his offseason to books and football workouts.

"I just mainly work out and work on my agility to get quicker," Hayes said. "I'm focusing on trying to graduate early, too. My school doesn't really allow it, but I'm trying to convince them, so I can."

Hayes would be aiming to enroll at Notre Dame in January 2014, an option that five recruits took advantage of in the 2013 Irish recruiting class.

The signing of five-star defensive lineman Eddie Vanderdoes on Feb. 6 caught the attention of Hayes.

"He's a great player. I watched some film on him, and he's very quick for a big guy," Hayes said of Vanderdoes.

"It's funny, because Notre Dame took him from USC and then (Wednesday) USC hits me up. I'm not sure if they offered me. I think they offered me. I was like, 'Nah, I'm sticking to ND.' I've heard very good things about him. I'm going to go up there to compete with him."

As a committed prospect, Hayes hopes to do a little recruiting of his own for Notre Dame. One player Hayes has sought out is multi-position prospect Jabrill Peppers of nearby Paramus (N.J.) Catholic, one of the nation's top juniors. Hayes spoke with Peppers at an area banquet and plans to keep in his ear about the Irish.

"This kid is phenomenal on the field," Hayes said. "I've reached out to him and spoke to him about Notre Dame and what it can offer. ... I'm definitely trying to recruit this kid."

And with the Irish coming off a season that ended with a spot in the BCS National Championship Game, Hayes said he has plenty to plug.

"A lot people didn't see Notre Dame going all the way to the national championship," Hayes said. "Honestly, if you would have asked me, I wouldn't have even thought Notre Dame would have made it to the national championship. Now it's really boosting the credibility in recruiting."

zimmsbg78
03-11-2013, 09:36 AM
http://notredame.scout.com/2/1273250.html (free)

One of the first questions I asked Jay Hayes of Brooklyn (N.Y.) Poly Prep was what NFL player he most mimics his personal game after on the football field.

“Tom Brady,” he said sternly.

Pause over the phone line between two strangers.

“Nahhhh, I’m just kidding,” the 6-foot-5, 272-pound lineman said laughing.

Hayes doesn’t lack candor, and he’s anything but reluctant to crack a joke or to propose a challenge and immediately declare himself the winner.

Even over the phone, you hear both the jovial genuineness and the fiery ambition that make up Hayes’ personality.

Hayes seems like he’s been in a picture-perfect position his entire life: he attends the esteemed Poly Prep in Brooklyn, N.Y., he’s committed to Notre Dame to play football and to receive an education on a full scholarship, and his 46 offers point to the indisputable talent and unquestioned potential of his game. However, when Hayes brings up his past, you realize just how much the young man has already experienced.

“When I was 12, I was at my Mom’s house lying in bed, and around 9:45 p.m., she came upstairs yelling at me to wake up and that we needed to get to the hospital right away,” Hayes said. “My dad had been shot.”

“My first thought was that I couldn’t believe it,” Hayes said. “Every summer, I lived at my dad’s house, and we would always be playing sports. He told all of his friends that I could do anything, and I believed him. I thought my dad was invincible, I really thought he was Super Man. He was 6-foot-3, all muscle, and he was in the Marines for 10 years. He was a track star, too. I couldn’t believe it."

“He actually survived the gunshot wound, but the fluids that built up in his lungs were too much for him to handle,” Hayes said. “When I saw him in the hospital, he couldn’t speak, but I’m glad I could see him before he died. My grandfather had died three months before that, and that was the first time I cried. Being a Brooklyn boy, I never cried. But, I cried both of those times.”

The death of a father, combined with hanging out with the wrong crowd in Brooklyn, led Hayes down a wary path.

“I was really down,” Hayes said. “I had always been a little bit of a trouble-maker, but after he died, it got worse. In elementary and middle school, I got suspended nine times.”

But Hayes went back to the games he would play every summer with his dad, and there he found something he could use to pull him out of the confused, troubling place where he stood.

“After I had been upset a lot, my friend came to me and asked me to play on the Brooklyn Titans with him, which was a youth football league,” Hayes said. “Man, I was so cocky. I thought I was going to be the best one out there. I thought I was the fastest, and they were going to play me at quarterback or wide receiver. So, on the first day, I showed up in jeans and my dad’s basketball shirt. All I ever knew was normal street ball, especially basketball. Everywhere you look in Brooklyn there is a basketball goal. But, I was standing out that day and not meaning for that to happen. So, the coach tells us all to take a warm-up lap, and I didn’t get that concept. I started off sprinting ahead of everyone. About 15 seconds later, all the other players were passing me, and I had to take a breather. I was by the water fountain every five minutes during that practice.”

That season would prove to be an up and down one for Hayes, but it was one that taught him valuable lessons.

“The season went pretty well, and I was named captain,” Hayes said. “But, then I got in a fight with one of the other kids who started making jokes that I didn’t like, so I quit. A week later, I was feeling awful. My mom told me I couldn’t be a quitter. I went back, and I’m glad that I did. My dad would have wanted me to do that, too.”

Once Hayes opted for pads instead of jeans, there was no denying the youngster with a mean streak on the field. After 7th grade, Hayes received a scholarship to play for Poly Prep, a private school in Brooklyn.

“When I got a scholarship to play at Poly Prep in the 8th grade, it changed me a whole lot,” Hayes said. “I didn’t want to go at first. I didn’t want to go to some academic school when I could have gone to school with my friends in my neighborhood. But, it’s taught me so much. It’s academically demanding, and it’s helped me see the real value of an education. I’ve made really good friends there, too.”

Perhaps the behavioral issues were left behind once he settled into Poly Prep, but his instincts for playing football and the “have it or you don’t” intangibles that turned the teenager into a man in the trenches, did not.

“In the eighth grade, I started playing on the J.V. team,” Hayes said. “I thought I was a real tough guy. I didn’t care if you were a senior or not, I was going to hit you in the mouth. That was my mentality. I almost got in a fight with one of the older guys, and that was the point I realized I would never back down from anyone. I was just doing my job as an offensive lineman.”

As his high school career progressed, college coaches took notice. Notre Dame took a visit to Poly Prep, and Hayes liked what he heard.

“Last spring, some of the Notre Dame coaches came to my high school and they said, 'This is how it is, you either like how we do things or you don’t,’” Hayes said. “I told them I’d keep them in mind. Coach [Brian] Kelly came two weeks later, and that’s when I knew I wanted to go to Notre Dame.”

Before Hayes knew he was meeting the Notre Dame coaches, he made one small adjustment in his appearance. Yes, his appearance.

“The question everyone asks is about my hair,” Hayes said. “Last spring, [singer] Chris Brown dyed his hair blonde, so I wanted to try it, too. My head coach would always ask me when I was cutting it, and I would tell him I wasn’t ready. Then, when I knew I was meeting the Notre Dame coaches, I wanted to cut it and take it back to normal. I didn’t want them to think I was crazy, and I wanted to be as professional as possible for Notre Dame. I was worried they wouldn’t like me.”

Hayes says he’s often questioned about his commitment to the Irish because he’s never stepped foot on campus. Even in today’s world where decommitments and soft verbals are relaxed jargon, Hayes doesn’t understand the skepticism when he’s committed to a place like Notre Dame.

“I haven’t visited Notre Dame yet, and people are really skeptical of my commitment because of that fact, Hayes said. “But, a lot of kids at my school have family who went to Notre Dame, and they know my personality, and they all say I’d be a good fit. You hear about Notre Dame and you see them on T.V., especially in New York. I knew about them as a kid from video games. There’s a lot of Notre Dame alumni in New York. Also, it’s kind of common sense. Notre Dame is the most balanced school in the country with academics and football. They’re off the charts.”

As Hayes is finding out, a solid commitment status doesn’t warrant peace and quiet from outside suitors.

“USC just offered me,” he said. “Alabama, Florida, and Florida State still try to recruit me. Notre Dame is up on a high plateau, and all the other offers are on the same level. I don’t have any idea where I’d go if I wasn’t committed to Notre Dame.”

When Hayes gets to Notre Dame, he plans on being in the best shape possible, even if it means adding a little yoga to his regimen.

“Now, I’m doing a lot of yoga and dynamic body workouts,” Hayes said. “It’s good if you can lift a lot, but you need to make that transition to the football field, so I work a lot on my hips and hamstrings. I’m being recruited to play on the defensive line, so I’m working towards three-and-outs.”

This spring, Hayes has his first trip to Notre Dame planned. He’ll be in town for junior day on March 23.

“Justin Brent better be there,” Hayes joked. “I’m trying to take him one-on-one in basketball. I’ll even spot him 20 points. He won’t know what to do when I fake right, step back fade-away, and dunk down low. I’ll do all of it. There’s got to be something on the line, too. Maybe we can give our favorite video game to charity.”

Hayes list of hidden talents doesn’t end with basketball.

“I can act pretty well, “Hayes said. “I had a portfolio together and an agent called me and said she had sent it off. ‘Law and Order’ wanted me to try out for the role of the kid who had a conflict with football. I couldn’t make the call back though because of football.”

“Asking if I’m a good actor is like acting if Picasso can paint or if Shakespeare can read,” Hayes said laughing.

Transitioning seamlessly between topics of gravity and lightheartedness in a 30 minute interview makes Hayes seem years ahead of your average high school junior.

“I really believe that my dad’s death and growing up in Brooklyn’s Crown Heights neighborhood, where I always had to have a tough mentality and always had to have a plan, made me the aggressive player I am today. That’s why I love football. A lot of big players are good, but they aren’t aggressive.”

An aggressive player, with an unconquered enthusiasm for life and football who is captivated by the green and gold, is enough to capture the hearts of the Notre Dame faithful.

And a ‘Law and Order’ call back?

Beat that, Tom Brady.

zimmsbg78
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8940-weekend-wrap (free)

HAYES, MARTINI SECURE: Neither was ever really wavering, but it had to be comforting for Notre Dame to hear that both Hayes and linebacker commit Greer Martini were 100 percent in.

Martini was asked point-blank by Brian Kelly whether he was fully in and told Irish Sports Daily that the visit basically sealed his pledge. Martini had offers from Maryland and North Carolina State when he committed to the Irish last summer, but schools like Alabama have made pushes since. His commitment never seemed to be in jeopardy, but it’s stronger than ever now.

By contrast, this weekend was critical for Hayes considering it was the Brooklyn native’s first-ever ever trip to the Midwest. It couldn’t have gone much better for Hayes, who immediately felt like he was at home. He committed to the Irish sight unseen because of the family atmosphere and the belief that he’d get a high-class education without many distractions. Hayes is now convinced he made the best decision of his life.

BRENT/HAYES HOOP CHALLENGE POSTPONED: Notre Dame wide receiver commit Justin Brent had to leave early, but enjoyed the time he spent getting more familiar with the Irish and the wideouts. He did have to leave before Hayes could get him on the basketball court and now Hayes believes Brent is ducking him.

“I think he told me he didn’t know of any courts around,” Hayes said of Brent. “Then I’m walking to the bookstore and I’m seeing courts and courts. I’m like, ‘OK, Justin. You’ve been here five times and you haven’t seen these courts?’ He’s shying away.”

To be continued.

brownkj002
03-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Saw on another site it looks like he is looking around. Don't know if he has decommited yet but it looks like he will.

Don't know if its April fools or not.

SouthernIrish
04-01-2013, 07:24 AM
i'm pretty sure it is. stupid joke on the wrong day. guys an a-hole.

HoffVir
04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Poly Prep Bond Will Continue
SUNDAY, 21 APRIL 2013 07:47 CHRISTIAN MCCOLLUM

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/images/resized/images/stories/2014_recruits/jayhayesbonjovi_200_200.jpg

Jesse Bongiovi had already decided to walk on at Notre Dame as a freshman in 2013 while his good friend and 2014 Poly Prep Country Day teammate Jay Hayes was trying to make his own decision.

“He was showing me all of these letters and I’d be like, ‘Jay, come on, stop messing around. You want an opportunity, you’re going to come with me,’” Bongiovi recalled.

“I had like a ton of letters in my hand - Oregon, Michigan, Alabama,” Hayes chimed in. “He was like, ‘You need to stop BSing Notre Dame.’ He’s like, ‘Don’t wait around and try to be on TV or something.’”

It was clear Bongiovi was getting through to the 2014 defensive lineman with dozens of BCS offers.

“He was like, ‘You know what, you’re right,’” Bongiovi recalled.

Hayes wasn’t sure what he needed to do, so his buddy told him to talk to their coach.

“He forced me to go to Coach,” laughed Hayes. “I went to Coach.”

“That afternoon, it was like, ‘Jay Hayes Commits To Notre Dame,’” Bongiovi remembered.

Hayes felt confident with the decision, which he made in November, immediately.

“Once I committed, I had that feeling that this was the right place,” he said. “It’s rare that you get that feeling.”

That feeling was well before his first-ever visit to South Bend, which came just last month for the Irish’s Junior Day. Hayes was back on campus again this weekend for Notre Dame’s spring game.

“Just being out here is just great,” he said. “I consider Jesse like my older brother. The people who see me now, see my personality and Jesse just adds to it. He helps me out and I go to him for advice. Having an older brother that helps me out and I look up to him, it’s a great thing. It’s a great bond.”

Bongiovi, the son of Jon Bon Jovi, will be a freshman this fall while Hayes still has to wait a year before it’s his turn.

“I can’t wait,” Bongiovi said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun. I’m going to break it all in for him and then we’ll be good. He’s like my little boy.”

Even though it was only his second time in South Bend, Hayes said it’s already starting to feel like home.

“Just getting to know the players on the team and them saying my name, saying what’s up to me and seeing how I’m doing, that’s when you really see the camaraderie,” he said. “That’s what separates Notre Dame from other school.

“There’s a lot of love. It’s great. I really enjoyed it.

He enjoyed the game, but had to playfully question defensive tackle Louis Nix’ loyalty to his unit.

“Lou was a little cheater,” Hayes laughed. “He left the defense to get an offensive play. Coach Kelly gave me and a few other recruits the heads up that Lou was going to do that. It’s good because defense wins championships.”

Hayes had the chance to meet 2014 offensive line commit Jimmy Byrne for the first time.

“He’s a great guy,” Hayes said of Byrne. “He’s nice. I’m going to beat him up a little bit.”

Hayes didn’t get the chance to play wide receiver commit Justin Brent in basketball.

“He bailed out early,” he laughed. “I said, ‘One-on-one.’ He said, ‘Nah man, you don’t want that.’ He’s scared. It probably won’t happen until senior year.”

And he also spent some time with an uncommitted visitor.

“I got a chance to talk to Dante Booker, he has to pick ND,” Hayes said of the 2014 Ohio linebacker.

“What I said to his father should resonate with his father when he goes to Ohio State. You’ll realize the atmosphere at ND is much greater than at Ohio State.”

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/9112-poly-prep-bond-will-continue

NotreDameNate
04-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Well there goes my Bongiovi, Bon Jovi joke. Had no idea he had a son at ND. Pretty cool.

HoffVir
08-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Notre Dame football recruiting: Hayes soaks up NFL wisdom
TYLER JAMES South Bend Tribune tjames1@sbtinfo.com
Posted on August 2, 2013

Jay Hayes spent his summer taking advantage of the connections his high school football program has developed.

Heading into his senior year at Poly Prep in Brooklyn, N.Y., Hayes soaked up some NFL wisdom when Cleveland Browns defensive line coach Joe Cullen came into town for a summer camp. Cullen, who coached with Poly Prep head coach Dino Mangiero at Indiana, visits the area every summer for a week to lend his knowledge.

“He was giving me a few pointers,” Hayes said. “I take that week out of the summer and it helps me polish up the things I need to do.”
Hayes, who has maintained his 6-foot-5, 265-pound frame, focused on defensive end technique throughout the offseason.

“The game is technical once you reach the collegiate level,” Hayes said. “Everybody is going to reach a peak of strength, and it’s going to get down to who has better technique. I have been polishing basic moves and the advanced moves that I do.”

With the increased work, Hayes’ confidence has also blossomed. When Poly Prep graduate Eric Olsen, who played at Notre Dame and now plays center for the New Orleans Saints, returned to the area during the summer, Hayes jokingly challenged the NFL offensive lineman. The two have talked about Notre Dame on multiple occasions, and Hayes values his advice.

“Every time we get to see him I joke around and call him soft,” Hayes said. “I was doing a few drills and he was watching me, so I said, 'What's up? I'm ready for the one on one. You ready scrub?' He was like ‘Man, you can't even afford a one on one with me. You're not ready yet.’”

Hayes seems prepared for his senior season. Practice starts in two weeks and the season opener is set for the first week of September. He has his eyes set on two numbers: zero, as in losses, and 17, as in the school’s single-season sack record.

“Last year, I had 14 (sacks). I was banged up a little bit last year,” Hayes said. “I'm focused on being out there this whole season, beating 17 sacks and going undefeated. That's the goal.”

Hayes also spent part of his summer working with local kids at the YMCA. Now with football season on the horizon, Hayes has his eyes on another local prospect: 2014 defensive tackle Thomas Holley from Lincoln High in Brooklyn. Hayes suggested that the two may try to get together once a week for some defensive lineman drills.

Helping recruit an interior defensive lineman or two to complement the strong class of offensive line commitments sits at the top of Hayes’ wish list.

“I’m so proud that our offensive line is stacked. We have some studs,” Hayes said. “I feel bad for the other teams that will be going against those dudes. I'm glad we can go against them in practice to get better."

In the fall, Hayes wants to return for two Notre Dame home games. He named the BYU game in November and the night game against USC in October as two possibilities. He would like to get together with fellow defensive line commit Andrew Trumbetti for at least one trip.

Hayes last visited Notre Dame for the Blue-Gold Game in April.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/recruiting/article_6538d230-fb0c-11e2-bf6a-001a4bcf6878.html

HoffVir
08-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Hayes On A Mission
WEDNESDAY, 07 AUGUST 2013 15:43 CHRISTIAN MCCOLLUM

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/images/resized/images/stories/2014_recruits/jayhayes1_200_200.jpg

Opposing offensive linemen aren’t going to like Jay Hayes’ mindset this fall.

“When I see somebody in front of me in a game, I try to look at them as a college offensive lineman,” the 2014 Notre Dame defensive line commit said.

“It could be a guy who is like 260 in front of me and I’m looking at this guy like he’s 300-plus, so I’m going all out on this dude.”

The 6-foot-5, 275-pounder from Poly Prep Country Day High School in Brooklyn is excited for his senior season.

“We start August 15th, the day before my birthday,” said Hayes. “I’m excited for the season. It’s my last season and I’ve got to get back to freshman year and go undefeated.

“I promised my team – I promised myself – that I was going to leave my high school legacy in the right way. My main goal is just to get the team focused, get everybody on the same page and to take every step, just be able to go to the first game and be comfortable.”

Hayes will be playing on both sides of the line this fall and is going to be concentrating on his technique to prepare himself for the next level.

“Once you get to the college level, it’s basically all technique,” he said. “It’s strength, but everybody is almost close to the same scale of strength, so it’s basically technique that you need to polish up.”

Hayes has stayed in touch with the coaches at Notre Dame, including his future position coach, Mike Elston.

“I spoke with Coach Elston like a week ago,” said Hayes. “He was just getting ready for camp. Their whole staff was getting for camp and they’re focusing on the season.”

He’s also kept in contact with fellow members of his 2014 recruiting class like Elijah Hood, Justin Brent and Jimmy Byrne, but he’s become extremely close with New Jersey native Andrew Trumbetti.

“That’s the homie, that’s the brother,” Hayes laughed about Trumbetti. “His tweets are hilarious. I always get on him, but he’s a good kid. We’re trying to do our officials at the same time. We might do the BYU game, but we want to do a home game that’s at night like the USC game.

“Elijah is a good guy. Justin, I always talk with that kid, he’s a good kid. Jimmy’s a good guy too.”

In addition to Byrne, Hayes is extremely impressed with the Irish’s current offensive line haul.

“This offensive line is stacked,” he said. “These dudes are stacked! I don’t know how they found them, but these guys are stacked. That’s what I’m happy about.”

As for uncommitted prospects, Hayes has his sights set on Kentucky defensive tackle Matt Elam.

“I’m trying, I’m fighting,” he said. “I was happy when I heard we were among his favorites. Now I’ve just got to get him, speak to him and break it down to him.

“He’s a big body. This dude will take up five guys on the offensive line. It won’t replace Eddie (Vanderdoes), I was looking forward to playing with Eddie. I look up to his game. But just having a big body in the middle to be able to create space and rush the passer, that’s the core of Diaco’s defense. Having a big guy like Louis is the heart.”

Hayes sees current freshmen Jaylon Smith and Max Redfield being playmakers on defense and wants to add Elam to what the 2014 class already has, “If we get Matt, that would be a great get. That would be a great get.”

Hayes’ friend and former teammate, Jesse Bongiovi, is walking on to the Irish football team this fall and is already enjoying himself.

“He’s actually keeping up with the workouts,” said Hayes. “He’s doing well, he’s enjoying it and he’s a hard worker. It’s a challenge, but he likes challenges and he’s one to work hard.

“When you’re down by two touchdowns, Jesse is the dude out there saying, ‘Let’s get back in it.’ He’s out there having fun and doing his thing.”

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/9644-hayes-on-a-mission

HoffVir
10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Irish commit Jay Hayes says he wants to get back to South Bend this weekend, in part to work on nose guard Matt Elam @FballIsLife69
10:17 PM - 16 Oct 13

stew654
10-22-2013, 09:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB7iF31IdWY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video of jay Hayes and holley

JDriveSthND
10-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Video of jay Hayes and holley

Well, Holley definitely sounds neutral at this point, but at least wehn asked about OSU he didn't just go, "Oh yeah, I love them!" He also said he'd be visiting the Irish again. And with Hayes in his ear all the time, who knows what could happen.

HoffVir
10-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Jay Hayes ‏@JayHayesNY
The BYU game is when I will take my official visit to Notre Dame with my bro @AndrewTrumbetti! Turn up! #GoIrish #NDnation
9:05 PM - 21 Oct 13

zimmsbg78
12-10-2013, 09:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cOXsooGXgxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GNgOfup9V0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sqB0moYZuxY

HoffVir
01-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Brian Kelly and Brian VanGorder hit Poly Prep today to visit Jay Hayes. Irish commit was impressed by his “old fashioned" coordinator.
9:33 PM - 16 Jan 2014

mlcspinner
02-05-2014, 07:52 AM
letter is in

Purebred Irishman
02-05-2014, 08:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_mFhQI2sIk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAMR05qSc5mfhVx20fDyAoQ