PDA

View Full Version : '13 AZ CB Cole Luke (Verbal Commit 11/1/12 ND LOI)

zimmsbg78
02-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Cornerback
Chandler, Arizona
Hamilton

Links of Interest:
Cole Luke - Yahoo! Sports (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Cole-Luke-132338)

Cole Luke (http://247sports.com/Player/Cole-Luke-17387?pi=28430)

Height:6'0"
Weight:165 lbs
Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx0kPNzU8hg&feature=player_detailpage

Cole has recently added a verbal offer from ND. Cole currently holds verbal offers from ND, Arizona, Arizona State, Nebraska, OU, Oregon State, Purdue, Vanderbilt and Washington. Receiving interest from Texas, Oregon, MSU and Colorado.

a1ND
02-22-2012, 11:59 AM
let's hope Steve Belles can finally send one of his studs to ND

zimmsbg78
05-01-2012, 07:40 AM
No specific date yet but Luke plans to unofficially visit ND in June.

DublinIrish
05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
will also be in Dublin for the ND-Navy game as his HS plays the night before here

SouthernIrish
05-01-2012, 12:42 PM
its fate.

zimmsbg78
05-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Texas has verbally offered. Cole has been wanting this one.....

zimmsbg78
05-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Added verbal offers from Oregon, scUM and Arizona.

HoffVir
05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Jake Brown ‏@Jake_Brown
RT @KevinPStewart: #Rivals250 cb Cole Luke said his top-7(no order) #Michigan #Texas #Cal #NotreDame #Oklahoma #Nebraska #Arkansas
9:32 PM - 28 May 12

zimmsbg78
05-29-2012, 08:49 AM
No specific date yet but Luke plans to unofficially visit ND in June.

Will unofficially visit ND on June 5th.

jbrown_9999
06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Will unofficially visit ND on June 5th.

Per SBT, "the 6-0, 170-pound cornerback is slated to visit with his Hamilton High head coach, former Notre Dame quarterback Steve Belles."

Hopefully Belles being on the visit with Luke helps swing him towards ND

HoffVir
06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Tyler James ‏@TJamesISR
CB Cole Luke on his visit. RT @coleluke11 Livin' that college life a little early! #notredamebound #dormlivin'
9:54 PM - 5 Jun 12

Svoboda
06-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Great to hear... I really like him at corner so I'm hoping he enjoys what he sees. I'm afraid though about being an early visit.

NDAlumSon
06-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Cole Hand Luke

tedwick
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Really like this guy's film. The other offers he's considering don't make me feel great about ND's chances, but here's to him being blown away on the visit.

Svoboda
06-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Really like this guy's film. The other offers he's considering don't make me feel great about ND's chances, but here's to him being blown away on the visit.
Like him better than the two we've already got, Butler for sure. Kinlaw is a question mark since he was injured.

tedwick
06-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Like him better than the two we've already got, Butler for sure. Kinlaw is a question mark since he was injured.For sure. I'd really like to see ND land Luke or Hargreaves. Definitely not the "easy" pickups that our recent commits have been, but something we almost need to see happen in this class.

It's been a while since ND's landed a really well regarded CB. Well, one that stayed enrolled.

eric_navy
06-07-2012, 02:39 PM
For sure. I'd really like to see ND land Luke or Hargreaves. Definitely not the "easy" pickups that our recent commits have been, but something we almost need to see happen in this class.

It's been a while since ND's landed a really well regarded CB. Well, one that stayed enrolled.

Don't remind me. I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking of Tee and Darby.

IrishGrizz
06-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Don't remind me. I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking of Tee and Darby.

Who?

eric_navy
06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Who?

Exactly.

Purebred Irishman
06-11-2012, 06:59 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7127-recruiting-week-in-review

Cole Luke, CB, 6-1, 180, Hamilton High School, Chandler, AZ visited South Bend last week with his head coach, former Irish quarterback Steve Belles. Belles was at Notre Dame taking part in the Irish fantasy camp. Luke was there making his first ever visit to the university. While Belles and the other former Irish players represented the greatness of Notre Dame’s past, Luke was more interested in the present and future. Belles spoke with Christian McCollum about his star athlete’s visit.

“Everything went good, excellent,” said Belles. “I think he really enjoyed his time here to be honest with you.”

Luke got a great sense of how highly he’s valued by the Irish staff when almost immediately upon his arrival, he found himself visiting with Head Coach Brian Kelly.

“The first day he got in he got to meet with him,” said Belles. “Coach Kelly showed him the facilities so that was pretty cool. He definitely made the statement that Cole is the kind of kid that he wants at Notre Dame.”

Luke also got to see former Irish greats like Tim Brown and Tony Rice. More importantly, he got the opportunity to meet with some of the current Notre Dame players.

“He spent time with a couple of players who are already here for the summer,” recalled Belles. “He got an opportunity to speak with quite a few of them actually. I don’t know what was said between them, but it seemed to have a good impact on him. I think it went pretty well.”

Luke has offers from the who’s who of college football but he has narrowed his list to seven schools, Notre Dame, Michigan, Cal, Nebraska, Arkansas, Texas and Arkansas. Belles thinks that Luke may be done with visits this summer and is now focusing on the fall season.

“Right now, it’s just to play our season to be honest with you,” Belles said. ‘If Cole wants to make a decision early, of course that’s really up to him.”

HoffVir
06-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Corey Robinson ‏@CoreyRobinson13
S/O to @coleluke11 for getting his USC offer today! Keep working man #onthegrind
10:55 PM - 12 Jun 12

irishunclebill
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Reportedly has narrowed his list of college choices to USC, Texas, Oklahoma and Oregon.

Not surprising as Belles will not push any of his kids to ND and without that push we will probably never see a Hamilton High recruit playing for the Irish.

SouthernIrish
06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
its almost like he is actively recruiting against us. What's up with that? These kids seem to drop us just as soon as they visit.

irishunclebill
07-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Reportedly has narrowed his list of college choices to USC, Texas, Oklahoma and Oregon.

Not surprising as Belles will not push any of his kids to ND and without that push we will probably never see a Hamilton High recruit playing for the Irish.

A change here?

Brandon Huffman‏@BrandonHuffman

RT @jason247scout: 4 star CB Cole Luke narrows to 4: http://hsarizona.scout.com/2/1203825.html #Texas, #USC, #NotreDame, #Oklahoma

ND replaces Oregon in his Top 4 if this is accurate. Hamilton High Hope.

irishunclebill
07-19-2012, 10:19 PM
The Jason dude who did the original tweet is an Arizona based Scout recruiting guy.

Svoboda
07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Falling out with Oregon?

I'd imagine if he doesn't verbal to USC in the very near future, that's probably not a realistic option, either?

SouthernIrish
08-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Did he just release a new top 4?

marv81s
08-04-2012, 02:53 PM
ND, Oklahoma, Texas and U$C

irishunclebill
08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Sherman Oaks is the team playing Chandler in Dublin the day before the ND/Navy game so both Khalfani & Cole Luke will be at the game.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sondheimer-football-travel-20120807,0,2045544.column

zimmsbg78
08-08-2012, 09:38 AM
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1393999 (free)

CHANDLER, Ariz. - Around here, the sun doesn't wear gloves when it punches. It's 113 degrees, and people sporting pads and helmets are hitting each other with force. Fall camp in the Phoenix Valley is the bare-knuckle boxing of preseason workouts.

To be fair, the scene at Hamilton High School isn't much different than it is at most other schools in Arizona this time of year. It's the details that make what's unfolding here, at 2:30 on a Tuesday afternoon, particularly masochistic.

Mere feet away from the Huskies' practice field - a pristine patch of grass void of any semblance of shade or cover - sits a swimming pool complete with a water slide. It's close that conversations unfolding on the deep end's deck can be heard. But four-star cornerback Cole Luke, dressed in an unfortunate color scheme of head-to-toe black, barely notices it.

"Sometimes you hear a diver or two going into the pool," he says. "It doesn't distract me or anything."

It soon becomes clear that Luke doesn't grasp the question's connotation. Even bystanders here see the juxtaposition of the refreshing oasis and a football workout unfolding inside an oven as a torture device. Not Luke, though. He thinks he's being asked about the swim team's noise level.

Blocking things out is a skill of his. The ignore button on his cell phone is practically worn out; interviews with him are rare. If you want to know about his recruitment, it's best to smear on some sunblock and come here, to this field. Do that, and he'll happily fill you in on things while you sweat through your polo.

"Right now I'm leaning toward USC, Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame," Luke says after wrapping up a two-hour practice. "I'm going to talk to Texas tonight about a date to visit. I'm still trying to set it up with OU and trying set it up with Notre Dame. I talked to USC, too."

He's not particularly forthcoming with details because he's focused on other things. It's the same reason he rarely answers his phone. At this moment, what's on his mind is the final day of his junior season, a game that saw his school's record-setting 53-game winning streak snapped by an upset in the state title game.

A coach driving by in a motorized cart overhears the defensive back speaking about last year's lone loss and immediately taps the brakes. "Nobody around here has forgotten about that," he yells in his star player's general direction. Luke doesn't even notice his voice.

This brand of focus is nothing new for Luke. His mother, who works as a TSA supervisor and keeps odd hours at the airport, serves as his lone guardian. His teammates' families help out some nights, but the high school senior has developed a knack for taking care of his own business. In many ways, he's a product of his past.

"It probably has helped me mature, now that I think about it," he says. "I just see it like, I'm basically old enough to take care of myself."

It's hard to argue with his take. Luke boasts a 3.5 GPA and is on track to be a captain at powerhouse Hamilton this season. He's received more than 25 scholarship offers, too. Not a bad resume for a kid who played his first varsity season as a junior.

Luke learns like a Maserati races. Snowboarding? He picked that up in half a day earlier this year, becoming every bit as good as his friends in a single afternoon. He's also recently taken up wakeboarding. The buzz around today's practice is that he'll play some wide receiver this season, but no coach will confirm or deny that.

"He's a smart kid," Hamilton defensive backs coach Anthony Parker says. "He focuses on something and gets in done. He doesn't like the limelight or any of that stuff."

Not surprisingly, Luke doesn't want a hat ceremony to announce his college choice. He actually isn't likely to make any sort of official commitment announcement. When he talks about those things, he takes a sarcastic tone. It's almost as if he can't fathom why a high school kid would plan an elaborate party to tell the world anything, let along his choice of colleges.

"I'm not that guy," he says with a shrug. "I don't need a camera in my face."

He intends to commit sometime after his visits, one-on-one with a coach to be named later. If the masses find out, great. But Luke admits that getting it from him might be tricky. Keep in mind that this is guy who claims his classmates don't bug him about his decision because most have no idea he's become the most sought-after football player in the state.

"I know the numbers of all the college coaches," he says. "Those are in my phone. Other numbers - the ones I don't know - I just don't answer them."

This is Cole Luke as a high school senior, dialed in on one item at a time and not worried about the periphery. At times, his recruitment is at the forefront. But when it's not, there's little point in asking about it. He has no problem shrugging you off without apology.

To watch him practice is to be convinced he's a loner. There's no chitchat, no horseplay and no laughing in the line for drills. It's not until coaches call for a water break that you notice his teammates are also his friends. There might as well be an actual switch attached to his back.

"I hear guys talk about problems at school or problems with their families, but I don't know how you can have those - think about those - when you're out here," he says.

The same outlook applies to impeding college decision. You'll know when he does. Or at least when he feels it's important enough to discuss.

zimmsbg78
08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Cole has planned a OV to ND for none other than the ND/scUM game on September 22nd.

zimmsbg78
08-21-2012, 06:59 AM
After setting his OV to ND, Cole named U$C, Texas and OU as his top three schools.

irishunclebill
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
After setting his OV to ND, Cole named U$C, Texas and OU as his top three schools.

Obviously he is just taking the visit as a courtesy to Belles, but why even bother. Also why bother having USC in your top 3 when he probably couldn't verbal there today if he wanted to, much less 3 months from now.

zimmsbg78
08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Obviously he is just taking the visit as a courtesy to Belles, but why even bother. Also why bother having USC in your top 3 when he probably couldn't verbal there today if he wanted to, much less 3 months from now.

I've been reading some rumors of U$C having one or two possible scholy's still available. I don't know if the crooked coaching staff is going to force someone out or what. I have also seen that TN CB Ramsey has reached out to Florida.

irishunclebill
08-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I've been reading some rumors of U$C having one or two possible scholy's still available. I don't know if the crooked coaching staff is going to force someone out or what. I have also seen that TN CB Ramsey has reached out to Florida.

Anything is possible with them but it will require them getting rid of some of the already committed '13 guys, not just guys currently on schollie, in order to make room for more '13 recruits. They still can't exceed the 18 verbals they currently have because no matter how many EE's they have in the '13 class only three can be rolled back to the incoming '12 class.

There are certainly a few candidates in the current class to get the boot or to leave. Ramsey is one of them. Chris Hawkins is another especially if he goes ahead and takes his OV's. The USC recruiting board doesn't even really consider Sebastian LaRue to be a USC verbal, and I still can't see when all is said and done that Kiffy will honor Eldridge Massington's verbal. So that is 4 potential openings there, but from what I have seen they have more than 4 guys that they can easily replace these 4 with if they leave that are much higher on their board than Cole Luke.

simets99
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Anything is possible with them but it will require them getting rid of some of the already committed '13 guys, not just guys currently on schollie, in order to make room for more '13 recruits. They still can't exceed the 18 verbals they currently have because no matter how many EE's they have in the '13 class only three can be rolled back to the incoming '12 class.

There are certainly a few candidates in the current class to get the boot or to leave. Ramsey is one of them. Chris Hawkins is another especially if he goes ahead and takes his OV's. The USC recruiting board doesn't even really consider Sebastian LaRue to be a USC verbal, and I still can't see when all is said and done that Kiffy will honor Eldridge Massington's verbal. So that is 4 potential openings there, but from what I have seen they have more than 4 guys that they can easily replace these 4 with if they leave that are much higher on their board than Cole Luke.

Does the transfer of Redd count against the 18 players they can take this year? I know it counts against the 75 scholarship limit just wondering if it counts against the annual limit.

irishunclebill
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Does the transfer of Redd count against the 18 players they can take this year? I know it counts against the 75 scholarship limit just wondering if it counts against the annual limit.

Actually I think it does as I just saw something that indicated that now they can only send 2 EE's back against the 2012 class despite the fact that apparently at least 6 of their 2013 recruits want to EE. If that is the case they are already 1 over the limit as to what they can actually sign on NSD, but like I said they are not really counting LaRue as a commit anyway.

JDNDSyrnafan
08-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Actually I think it does as I just saw something that indicated that now they can only send 2 EE's back against the 2012 class despite the fact that apparently at least 6 of their 2013 recruits want to EE. If that is the case they are already 1 over the limit as to what they can actually sign on NSD, but like I said they are not really counting LaRue as a commit anyway.

And they keep telling kids, there is a spot if they want to commit. Scum buckets.

zimmsbg78
09-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Video interview with Cole after his high school game in Ireland........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bjc4cwHuyt4

DirtySecret
09-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Video interview with Cole after his high school game in Ireland........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bjc4cwHuyt4

Why is ND fight song and alma mater song playing in the back ground?

irishunclebill
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Why is ND fight song and alma mater song playing in the back ground?

They played Notre Dame Sherman Oaks. Dayne's HS alma mater.

DirtySecret
09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Did he make it to the UofM game or did he reschedule his visit?

irishunclebill
09-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Did he make it to the UofM game or did he reschedule his visit?

Luke was in attendance but after the visit ND still looks to be in 3rd place for him.

DirtySecret
09-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Luke was in attendance but after the visit ND still looks to be in 3rd place for him.

Okay so the rumor might be true that he wasn't that impressed..

Purebred Irishman
10-14-2012, 04:03 AM
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1421689

Four-star cornerback Cole Luke has gone from totally undecided to intentionally obstructive. The Chandler (Ariz.) High School senior has the grin to match his new persona.

Following his team's blowout victory over Mesa (Ariz.) Dobson on Friday night, the star defensive back wore his smile as he deflected question about his recruitment. Turns out, Luke has a frontrunner. It also turns out that he's keeping it to himself. And so the question is asked pointblank:

Is Cole Luke, as some think, leaning toward Texas?

"I can't say," he says.

"You can't say or you won't say," he's asked.

"I won't say," he replies. His grin stretches to an almost cartoon-like level.

The high school senior is as versed in coach-speak as anyone his age. He describes his official visit to Texas simply as "good." He says the usual cordial things about Mack Brown and outlines the on-campus activities.

"I got situated in Austin, put my stuff in my hotel room, met for team meetings before the game, talked to Coach Mack a little bit, talked to Coach (Duane) Akina, ate and went over to the game," he said.

He describes everything that took place, all the while being careful not to discuss his reaction or feelings. Ask him about the trip he took to Notre Dame just weeks earlier, and his response is just as vanilla.

"It was pretty much the same," Luke says. "The trips were scheduled pretty much the same. Both of them were comfortable. They were both about me being able to see myself there for four years."

The most interesting thing Luke has to say on this night concerns a loose timetable for a verbal commitment. But even that has an odd aura. He's set to take an official visit to Oklahoma on Oct. 27 and would like to take one to Arizona State sometime after that. If that happens, though, Luke will likely arrive on the Sun Devils' campus as a committed player.

Attempting to make sense of the logic at work there is a monumental task.

"I want to have a decision sometime after OU but before ASU, most likely," he says. "I keep in contact with Arizona State a lot. They invite me to practices now and then. I don't know how to put it. It's just one of those relationships that happen with the home-state school."

Asked if the strange timetable he's created for his decision means anything, good or bad, for the Sun Devils, he answers in traditional Cole Luke fashion.

"I can't say," he says again. "I just have to wait and play it out."

ChicagoIrish
10-14-2012, 08:31 AM
can't blame him if he wants to go to texas. he could probably start next weekend for that terrible defense

NDAlumSon
10-14-2012, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o

SouthernIrish
10-15-2012, 07:28 AM
at least he isn't all over the place like some ppl....Mackenzie.

zimmsbg78
10-26-2012, 07:36 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1427492 (free)

With Texas' program in a slight state of confusion and struggling (by Texas standards) on the field, you have to wonder what four-star cornerback Cole Luke is thinking. If ever there was a time to use Mack Brown's age and somewhat unstable situation as ammo against the Longhorns on the recruiting trail, it's now. And you can bet schools are taking aim in this case.

It's nearly impossible to gather information from Luke, who says less than Harpo Marx. He doesn't tell those close to him much about his recruitment, but Notre Dame and Oklahoma have to like their standing.

Luke's high school head coach, Steve Belles, played quarterback for Notre Dame in the 1980s and has the Irish mascot tattooed on his lower leg. Add that to the fact that Luke built a solid relationship with the Irish coaching staff long ago, and the path to South Bend seems sufficiently paved.

That said, Luke's last scheduled official visit is to Oklahoma this weekend. The Sooners are especially dangerous when they have the last word.

Dannyboy Ayers
10-26-2012, 08:15 AM
he might be visiting the sooners but it is just another chance to see the Irish play IMO.

Dannyboy Ayers
10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
I know this kid doesn't say much, but has there been any word since his visit to the game in Oklahoma?

Irish#1
10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
"That said, Luke's last scheduled official visit is to Oklahoma this weekend. The Sooners are especially dangerous when they have the last word. "

I think the Irish had the last say in Norman.

MoreManti5
11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Just saw on Twitter that he committed to the IRISH! Welcome aboard, Cole!

zimmsbg78
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Damn you guys are fast........

Welcome Cole! ND needed this one.

adamsfamily03
11-01-2012, 12:05 PM
UN-BE-LIEV-A-BLE!!!!!!!!

:ninja:

adamsfamily03
11-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Prophetic!

"That said, Luke's last scheduled official visit is to Oklahoma this weekend. The Sooners are especially dangerous when they have the last word. "

I think the Irish had the last say in Norman.

JMR8
11-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Awesome. I really didn't see this coming. Welcome Luke!

Go Irish!

Jiggafini19
11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Wow. That's a surprise

MoreManti5
11-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Quick question ... how many more commits can we take this year? Does it depend on how many fifth years we ask back for next season?

irishunclebill
11-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Quick question ... how many more commits can we take this year? Does it depend on how many fifth years we ask back for next season?

Quick answer- yes?

I will update the 2013 roster in a bit to give you a more detailed answer.

eric_navy
11-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, that sort of came out of left field. Great to get a commit from a top DB, and also great to finally get one of Belles' kids on the right team!

untitledproject
11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
so huge.

IrishinTN
11-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Wow, awesome get and honestly really surprised. Not because of ND's performance, obviously. Just seemed like he wanted to stay down TX-OK way. Awesome get and great addition!

irishnd31
11-01-2012, 01:56 PM
so huge.

LOVEMYIRISH
11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
THIS is what I was hoping for...a great CB recruit!!!

Happy happy joy joy!!!

Purebred Irishman
11-02-2012, 04:46 AM
http://www.uhnd.com/articles/recruiting/cole-luke-commits-notre-dame-11262/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uhnd+%28UHND.com+-+Notre+Dame+Football%29

Notre Dame picked up a big verbal commitment on Thursday at one of its biggest positions of need in this year’s recruiting class when Arizona native, 4-star cornerback Cole Luke committed to the Irish just days after seeing Notre Dame beat Oklahoma 30-13 and continue their perfect season.

Cole Luke, one of the top ranked corners in the country this year, has seen Notre Dame in person three times this year. He saw Notre Dame’s 50-10 win over Navy in Dublin thanks to his high school playing a game in Ireland as well. Then Luke traveled to South Bend for an official visit for Notre Dame’s 13-6 victory over Michigan in September. Luke made it a trifecta of Notre Dame victories last weekend on an official visit to Oklahoma where he saw the Sooners fall to Irish 30-13 thanks to a huge fourth quarter effort from Notre Dame.

Less than a week after witnessing Notre Dame win a third game in person in just two months, Luke decided that was all he needed to see and joined Notre Dame’s already very strong recruiting class. Luke gives the Irish an elite corner prospect to form a very solid trio at the position along with Rashad Kinlaw and Devin Butler.

Luke, a 6’0″, 165 lb prospect, is ranked a 4-star corner by Rivals, 247 Sports, ESPN, and Scout. 247 Sports has Luke in their top 100 while Rivals has him in their top 250 overall regardless of position. Before committing to Notre Dame Luke had picked up offers from Michigan, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas among others.

Coached by former versatile Notre Dame alum Steve Belles, Luke is actually the first Belles pupil to select the Irish after several elite prospects from Belles’ Hamilton program in Chandler, Arizona after several others considered Notre Dame over the last few years but eventually wound up else where. Gerrell Robinson immediately comes to mind as the one Belles protege that came the closest to selecting Notre Dame although there have been others over the years as well.

Notre Dame needed corners in this class badly after the loss of Ronald Darby and Tee Shepard to last year’s class left the Irish short on numbers. Current freshman Kei’Varae Russell ended up moving over to corner this summer and while the move has been a stunning success, numbers still remain an issue for Notre Dame moving forward – especially since sophomores Jalen Brown and Josh Atkinson have had trouble establishing themselves and earning playing time so far. Assuming Notre Dame holds on to all three corners currently committed, Brian Kelly and staff will have done a tremendous job of restocking the shelf as this position in this cycle.

With Luke’s commitment, scholarships in this year’s class are very scarce and only a couple of spots likely remain depending on 5th years, NFL departures, and any decommitments. A couple of currently committed prospects – Alex Anzalone and Danny Mattingly – have been rumored to be looking around although Anzalone is set to visit Notre Dame this weekend so his spot could either be cemented or opened up in this year’s class in just a few days.

Notre Dame is likely done at corner back in this class now unless another elite corner like Mackensie Alexander of Florida were to want to hop on board as well, and they will certainly continue to recruit Max Redfield, an elite safety currently committed to USC, as well.

IrishCrasher
11-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Welcome aboard Cole Luke!!! Dare I say Numa Numa.....

Purebred Irishman
11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8042-recruiting-week-in-review

Cole Luke CB, 6-0, 170, Hamilton High School, Chandler, AZ was considered by many pundits to be a long shot for Notre Dame but Luke’s coach, former Irish quarterback Steve Belles, has stated all along that he believed that Notre Dame had a much better chance that most thought. Belles proved to be correct when Luke verbally committed to the Irish last week.

“Every dog has his day,” laughed Belles after Luke’s commitment. “What he shared with me in terms of what he wanted academically, athletically and an opportunity to play early, I think Notre Dame met all those criteria. I’m not saying the other ones didn’t, it seemed like it was a little bit of a better fit for him.”

Belles has coached numerous FBS recruits over the past years, some of whom Notre Dame recruited heavily, but Luke (pictured) was the first to commit to his alma mater.

“I’ve had a few offers from there,” stated Belles. “The bottom line is it really does come down to their decision. I’ll never push a kid to go somewhere. He can ask me questions and all of that, but then he needs to ask the other people the right questions that he needs to get answers from.”

Belles believes that Luke made the right decision.

“For Cole, I think it’s a good fit for him,” the head coach opined. “I just think he’s a kid who will fit in well there. He’s a good student, he’s a good athlete and he’s very humble. I think he’ll fit in real well with that organization.”

Belles believes that Luke can come in and play right away.

“A couple of weeks ago he played against a kid named Nathan Phillips out here, who is committed to (Arizona) and considered by some to be the best receiver in the state,” he said. “Cole pretty much shut him down I thought. Needless to say, he has that ability to shut people down and take away that part of the field.”

Notre Dame defensive backs coach Bob Elliott has been recruiting Luke and was understandably excited by his commitment.

“He (Elliott) was ecstatic today,” related Belles. “I know he’d been working hard on trying to get Cole there and that’s a good coup d’etat by him needless to say.”

zimmsbg78
11-07-2012, 07:48 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1432634 (free)

Oh, and while Anzalone threw me for a bit of a loop, I told you that defensive backs would start flocking to Notre Dame. Cole Luke is the first, and his commitment was huge for the Irish. I still think Redfield will choose between ND and Oregon, and who knows what Mackensie Alexander is thinking.

L.J. Moore will probably stay on the West Coast, but after the Tee Shepard and Deontay Greenberry debacles last year, maybe Fresno isn't the place for the Irish to be looking for players, anyhow.

HoffVir
11-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Cole Luke ‏@coleluke11
State champs babyyyy!
5:43 PM - 24 Nov 12

zimmsbg78
11-28-2012, 07:34 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8194-elliott-checks-in-on-luke (free)

After working so hard to gain a commitment from Cole Luke, Notre Dame isn’t about to let up on the Arizona cornerback back now.

Irish safeties coach Bob Elliott stopped by Hamilton High School in Chandler, Ariz., to check on Luke Monday as well as 2014 offensive lineman Casey Tucker, who is currently committed to USC.

“He was checking in, seeing Cole and talking to Casey and just saying hi to some other kids on the campus and that’s about it,” Hamilton head coach Steve Belles said.

“I think they’re doing their due diligence. You don’t want to lose a kid because you didn’t stay in touch, that’s for darn sure. I think it’s what any good school does. They make sure they keep guys on their own and make sure they’re solid with their commitment.”

And Luke is solid with his.

“I think he’s pretty relieved that that process is over,” said Belles, who played at Notre Dame in the late-1980s. “He felt good about it and now he’s just looking forward to his days at Notre Dame.”

Belles has coached several Division-I players, but Luke will be the first to attend Belles’ alma mater. Still, Belles hasn’t taken much time to reflect on how special that is for him.

“Fortunately or unfortunately, his four years are going to be different than my four, five years,” said Belles. “The place is the same, but everybody forms their own memories. What they remember or forget are two different things too.

“I think it’s awesome that he’s going there. The great thing for me is that I’ll be able to watch him, I watch the games every week. That’ll be cool for me. It made me think about some of my days when I was there, but I feel good that it was his decision more than anything else.”

After winning three straight state titles, Hamilton lost to Desert Vista 45-19 in the state championship game last year. The Huskies exacted revenge this season, knocking off Desert Vista once in the regular season before eliminating the Thunder in the playoffs. Hamilton went on to claim another state title this past weekend with a 31-16 win over Mountain Pointe.

Luke sent out a tweet afterward saying the title was also for the players who came up short last season.

“We got beat pretty handily last year,” said Belles. “I think he was just sounding off saying, ‘This is for you guys, what you wanted to do last year, but it didn’t happen.’

“For him to make that comment, I’m assuming they were pretty tight. Cole would not have made that comment if he didn’t like the guys. They were a good bunch of kids.”

And now Belles and Luke will watch to see if their past and future teams, respectively, will be able to grab a title of their own in the BCS National Championship Game.

“I tell you what and I hate to say it, but nobody remembers number two, so you’ve got to go out there and finish,” said Belles. “I can remember my fifth year at Notre Dame (in 1989), we were 12-1. We lost that one to Miami and everybody forgets that we ended up number two. We beat number one Colorado (in the Orange Bowl), but unfortunately, we lost over Thanksgiving to Miami and they ended up winning the Sugar Bowl and won the national championship.”

Belles understands what the current Irish players are go through with a long wait between their victory over USC and the title game in January.

“It’s too long to be honest with you,” he said. “As a competitor, I think most of the players would rather just play this Saturday. They’re going to be watching the SEC Championship this weekend and then they have a month before they play in the national championship game.

“If you’ve got some guys injured, it’s a blessing. If your guys are pretty healthy, gosh you would like to play the next week. There are pros and cons, but it’s what it’s been forever, so you just do what you can and work it off your schedule and don’t worry about it.”

Belles isn’t sure when Brian Kelly will be in to see Luke.

“I’m sure he’s got better things to worry about than just worrying about one of his recruits,” said Belles. “I think his focus is probably to watch this game Saturday and start working on a game plan; I think for both teams, knowing him.”

zimmsbg78
01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Senior year.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZVJiX588o&feature=player_embedded

Purebred Irishman
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
ISDUpdate: RT @coleluke11: Home visit with coach Kelly and Elliot tonight! Gonna be a house full of Irish! #irishmob!

zimmsbg78
02-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Jason Sapp‏@BGI_JasonSapp

#NotreDame DB commit Cole Luke RT @coleluke11: Officially a golden domer! �� #irishmob #goirish

Synoptico
02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
fax is in

HoffVir
02-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Rachel Terlep ‏@eTruth_Irish
CB Cole Luke signs with #NotreDame, making 20 total. RT @coleluke11: I was shaking so bad when I was signing. #notgonnalie
9:43 AM - 6 Feb 13

zimmsbg78
02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86H_GSB1LYg&feature=player_detailpage

Purebred Irishman
10-03-2013, 04:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqebFvGDFA0

Purebred Irishman
10-06-2013, 03:05 AM
http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Notre-Dame-freshman-Cole-Luke-takes-on-familiar-faces-153113

Irish freshman Cole Luke will see some familiar faces Saturday when Notre Dame takes the field at AT&T Stadium against No. 22 Arizona State.

A graduate of Hamilton High School in Chandler, Ariz., Luke will be facing some former opponents and teammates, including fellow Hamiltion graduate Jaxon Hood, a defensive tackle for the Sun Devils who missed last week’s game with a hamstring injury.

“I’m treating this just like any other game, regardless of where they are from or who I know on the team,” Luke said. “I’ve taken it day by day, and hopefully we will come out with a win.”

Luke, an Arizona native who grew up just ten minutes from Sun Devil Stadium, has played as the Irish’s nickelback during the first five games of the season as well as the next-guy-in for cornerback starters Bennett Jackson and KeiVarae Russell. So far, he’s made three tackles and has tallied one break-up and one pass defended.

He’s been one of the most active members of a busy freshmen class early in their college careers. The consensus top-five recruiting classes made its mark in September. More than 10 rookies have the seen the field so far this season contributing at nearly every position group. In the secondary, Luke has already become a regular.

At nickelback, the 5-11, 184-pound Luke’s role is to add an extra cover guy on third down situations. He’s used to lining up in different places after playing a multitude of roles in high school.

“Corner has a one-way go, you have more of field to the inside, but with nickel, you have it both ways, so it’s more field to cover,” he said. “I’m used to it though based on past experiences in high school. It’s nothing new to me.”

The Sun Devils have one of the most explosive offenses in the country, ranked No. 15 in the nation with an average of 505 yards per game and No. 11 in scoring offense (44.3 per game). They are also known to strike quickly, scoring in three minutes or less in 22 of 28 of their scoring drives and ranked eighth in the nation in passing attack, averaging more than 350 yards per game.

“They utilize every aspect they have on the field whether it’s a running back, they have a good back-shoulder quarterback and great receivers so I think they just utilize that on every play with read option,” Luke said.

Sun Devils quarterback Taylor Kelly is one of three FBS quarterbacks who has thrown for more than 300 yards in each of his starts this season. The junior is completing 61.4 percent of his passes. He has also thrown 19 touchdowns to four interceptions.

And with a freshman in the secondary, Luke expects Kelly will be aiming toward his side of the field.

“It’s good and bad. If I was an offensive coordinator, I’d go after the freshman too,” Luke said. “In high school, they never threw to my side but now I like that [they throw to my side] because it gives me more opportunity to play the ball and make plays.”

Luke believes that if he plays in the style he always does and in that style that has earned him playing time, he will contribute to the Irish defense against ASU’s fiery offense.

“I think it’s [about] being myself, sticking to my natural habits and the way I play football and doing what coach asks me to,” he said. “I knew if I played my game, it would work its way out, and it has worked the way I hoped it would.”

Purebred Irishman
03-29-2014, 05:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvpm54AGEY&index=6&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
09-04-2014, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJp_Ec9pNvc&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
10-05-2014, 05:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6_eQzCh49U&list=UUAMR05qSc5mfhVx20fDyAoQ

Purebred Irishman
10-10-2014, 08:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-eYO_hZ8lc&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
10-12-2014, 04:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5uXsOt1OK0&list=UUAMR05qSc5mfhVx20fDyAoQ