PDA

View Full Version : '13 IL OT Colin McGovern (Verbal Commit 3/24/12 ND LOI)

zimmsbg78
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Offensive Tackle
NewLenox, Illinois
Lincoln-Way West

Links of Interest:
Colin McGovern - Yahoo! Sports (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Colin-McGovern-132914)

Colin McGovern (http://247sports.com/Player/Colin-McGovern-16107?pi=26742)

Height:6'7"
Weight:280 lbs
Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8lse6GZe30&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zTXTe6N960&feature=player_detailpage

Colin is another standout OL from the midwest this year. He currently holds verbal offers from Illinios, Indiana, scUM, Northwestern, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wisconsin. Receiving interest from ND, Iowa, pOSU, State Penn and Purdue. He unofficially visited West Virginia during the season, unofficially visited Illinios for there junior day and in the past has been to ND with his family (Syracuse game in 05). He says he thinks he will attend ND's upcoming junior day.

zimmsbg78
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/premium-football-recruiting?start=5 (free)

As the focus has now shifted to the 2013 class, one area the Irish coaching staff will be looking to concentrate on is along the offensive line.

Notre Dame is off to a good start on the offensive line with the commitment of Michigan offensive tackle Steve Elmer. The Irish have already offered many other top prospects along the offensive line, especially throughout the Midwest, which is loaded with talent in 2013.

The coaching staff may be in the midst of offering another top Midwestern prospect; Colin McGovern of Lincoln Way-West High in New Lenox, Ill.

The 6-foot-6, 285-pound lineman has already received offers from Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Illinois, Northwestern and Indiana. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa and Penn State have all shown interest, but have yet to extend an offer.

McGovern hadn't been in contact with the Irish coaching staff, but that changed this past week.

"Coach (Chuck) Martin called my head coach and told him to have me give him a call," he said. "He (Martin) let me know that they were very interested in me and they like my highlights, but they needed to see my transcripts before they offer. We also talked about what Notre Dame has to offer and what's expected of the student-athletes at Notre Dame."

The Illinois prospect was told that if his transcripts check out, an offer from Notre Dame will be on the way.

"As long as my transcripts look good, I'll have an offer," he explained. "I take my academics very serious, so I think I'll be alright. My coach just sent transcripts out (Thursday), but I know Notre Dame's coaches are on a four-day weekend. I'm guessing I should hear back sometime next week since they're having a long weekend."

If the Irish offer, where would they stand on McGovern's list of schools?

"It's still very early, so I don't have any favorites," he stated. "I'm just looking for the best opportunity for me, I never had a favorite team growing up, so I'm wide open. I know Notre Dame is a great school and I'd be honored to get an offer from such a prestigious academic school."

McGovern hasn't taken a visit to Notre Dame as a prospect, but he has made several trips to campus.

"I went to a game there against Syracuse in 2005 and I went another time to just walk around with my family a year or two later," he described. "I really like the campus and the scenery of it. I was pretty young the last time I went there, it'd be nice to see the campus again."

The coveted prospect has already made plans to visit South Bend in the next couple of months.

"Coach Martin told me about their Junior Day at the end of March, I think I'm going to get out there for that," said McGovern. "Hopefully when I go up there I have an offer."

While the 2013 class is just starting to take center stage on the recruiting front, McGovern already has an idea of how he like his recruitment to play out.

"Ideally, I'd like to have a decision made before my senior season," he explained. "I won't rush to a decision, but it would be nice to have it out of the way before my senior year starts. If not, I'll make a decision whenever it feels right."

zimmsbg78
02-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Iowa has verbally offered.

robdog_5
02-10-2012, 06:32 PM
good offer for OL, when Wisky and Iowa offer OL I tend to like them a little more. Those staffs produce OL

zimmsbg78
02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
ND has verbally offered Colin.

zimmsbg78
02-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Bama has verbally offered.

Purebred Irishman
02-24-2012, 05:10 AM
U-M's last OL spot could go to rising Illinois star Colin McGovern | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120223/OPINION03/202230468/U-M-s-last-OL-spot-could-go-rising-Illinois-star-Colin-McGovern?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports)

To ensure he arrives at a decision he is satisfied with, McGovern plans to assess how his suitors measure up to a list of very specific criteria. He plans look far and wide for the best fit and insists his search is not bound by proximity.

"Honestly, distance won't play that big of a factor at all," McGovern told Scout.com. "If two schools are even and I'm making my decision, that will play a small part in the decision, but not really."

McGovern said the No. 1 factor is education: "Not only am I going there to play football, but I'm going to use my ability to play football to get myself the best education I can. I want to major in engineering or business, so that will be something I really look at. The second thing could probably be the prestige of the program. Then third but this isn't that big of a deal it would possibly be the conference. I want to play big-time college football, and if we are facing off against other big-time programs, that would be awesome."

McGovern has already given Michigan a cursory evaluation and reports that the Maize and Blue stacks up quite well. That said, he isn't ready to name them, or any of his other contenders, his leader.

"Michigan pretty much has all those qualities," he said. "Great education, great football program. So they would definitely be high on my list, I just don't know exactly where I would rank them. I'm not exactly sure where I would rank the schools that are coming after me because I grew up strictly an NFL fan. So going into the recruiting process, I don't really have a favorite school that I've loved my whole life."

Upcoming visits will play a major role in determining a hierarchy. So far McGovern has taken junior day visits to Illinois and Wisconsin in recent weeks, and he plans to make it out to Vanderbilt (March 2), Tennessee (March 3), Michigan (March 10), Notre Dame (March 24), Northwestern (April 6), and possibly Washington (April 28th) in the weeks to come. He hopes to also schedule trips to Iowa, Ohio State, and at some point, Michigan State.

"(Michigan State) told me if I come up there on a visit they will offer me too, so I'm trying to see if I can get that into my schedule," McGovern said. "My schedule is pretty crazy right now though. Over the next two months, pretty much every weekend I'll be visiting other schools, so that will be something that I have to see if I can fit in somewhere.

"I've heard a lot of good things about the Spartans. I want to check them out and see what they have to offer."

Once that slate of unofficial visits concludes, McGovern will be in a much better position to make a decision. That, though, doesn't guarantee he will be ready to do so. At this point he is content with his plan to play things by ear.

"I'm thinking about taking some officials and seeing that side of things and maybe checking out some games and see the game-time atmosphere and all of that stuff before I make a decision," he said. "But whenever it feels right is when I'm going to commit. I don't have a set time for when."

zimmsbg78
02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Nebraska has verbally offered.

zimmsbg78
02-27-2012, 08:28 AM
pOSU and Purdue have verbally offered.

Purebred Irishman
02-28-2012, 04:55 AM
Recruiting Week In Review (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6590-recruiting-week-in-review)

Colin McGovern, OT, 6-5, 280, Lincoln Way West High School, New Lenox, IL was recently told by the Notre Dame coaching staff that all they needed were his transcripts in order to issue him a scholarship offer. Apparently, his transcripts were acceptable because he recently received his Notre Dame offer, sort of.

The coaches told me that I have an offer, but well sit down and talk when I visit next month, explained McGovern. I think Coach (Chuck) Martin wants to meet me in person and just get an idea of what kind of character I have. I think they want to make sure they know exactly who I am.

While McGoverns offer isnt exactly official, hes still very interested in Notre Dame.

I mean its Notre Dame, enough said, he said. Its exciting and growing up in the Midwest I always really liked Notre Dame. When you look at the history and tradition of Notre Dame it cant be matched by many schools.

McGovern hasnt been on the Notre Dame campus since the 2005 Syracuse game, but what he does remember, he remembers fondly.

I dont remember everything about it but its a very beautiful campus, he recalled. Its different than any of the campuses Ive seen so far. It has an Ivy League feel to it and you can feel the history when youre there.

McGovern has a number of schools on his visit list in the next few weeks. He hopes to see Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Ohio State in addition to Notre Dame. He has yet to set a timetable for a decision.

wicket
03-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Irish!!!!

rikrok58
03-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the new recruits, both of them are big fellas!

Sparks inda Loo
03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the new recruits, both of them are big fellas!

Happy Day. Almost makes up for my Hoosiers losing to the KY Jellies last night.

Welcome to ND.

stew654
03-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Free Video Interview
Irish land touted offensive tackle (http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Irish-land-touted-offensive-tackle-67159)

Purebred Irishman
03-25-2012, 12:57 PM
McGovern Commits To Notre Dame (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6750-colin-mcgovern-commits-to-notre-dame)

Notre Dame picked up its fourth commitment of the 2013 class on Saturday, when Illinois offensive tackle Colin McGovern (Lincoln Way West) gave his verbal commitment to the Fighting Irish.

McGovern chose the Irish over offers from Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Washington and Wisconsin.

The 6-foot-7, 280-pound lineman joins Michigan native Steve Elmer along the offensive line in the 2013 class to give Notre Dame a nice combo in the trenches.

The Illinois native recently took visits to Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Michigan and was scheduled to visit Northwestern, Wisconsin and Ohio State next month, but now with his commitment to Notre Dame the visits are done.

NDGirlzRock
03-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Holy smokes these linemen are huge! Welcome Colin!

zimmsbg78
03-27-2012, 09:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E4wGdHAaHY&feature=player_detailpage

zimmsbg78
03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Video interview with Colin after his verbal commit to ND.............

Notre Dame OT Colin McGovern talks commitment to Notre Dame - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vZHRSznDShU)

Purebred Irishman
04-04-2012, 08:55 AM
McGovern Is A Special Talent (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6814-mcgovern-is-a-special-talent)

Lincoln-Way West (New Lenox, Ill.) head coach Mark VanderKooi always knew that his star player, Collin McGovern, was a special talent.

VanderKooi believes that the 6-foot-6, 285-pound offensive tackle possesses what it takes to be a successful college football player.

"Colin has a great drive and he tries hard at everything he does," he said. "He understands that if you want to achieve your goals, you're going to have to work hard. He gives a great effort year-round, so he's ready in the fall. He's a special player."

Another aspect of McGovern that impresses his head coach is how he remained humble after becoming a high profile recruit. Before committing to Notre Dame, the Illinois native also received offers from Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Washington and Wisconsin.

"It was impressive how he never let any of that stuff get to his head," he noted. "He basically used it as an incentive to work even harder. He handled himself well and never acted like he was better than his teammates. I think the entire community has been proud of the way he's represented the Warriors."

The Irish verbal commitment also has the ability to be a leader and communicate with his teammates.

"Colin does a great job of not only leading by example, but he also knows when to speak up," he explained. "It's not that he gets in anyone's face, but he does a good job of keeping his teammates upbeat and encouraged. It's very important to him for his teammates to be successful as well."

VanderKooi wasn't surprised when his star pupil committed to Notre Dame and he actually kind of expected it.

"Notre Dame was the school that he always liked growing up," he shared. "I knew that he liked a few other schools, but Notre Dame always seemed to have a special place with him. Once he went there for the visit, he knew that Notre Dame was the place he was looking for. He's really excited with the class they are putting together and I agree they got some great players."

In the meantime, VanderKooi is hoping to get one more great season out of McGovern before he sends him off to South Bend. The Warriors will be looking to improve upon a 7-3 record in 2011.

"You made a lot of improvements last year and had a solid season," he said. "We have a lot of good players coming back, that have experience, so it should be exciting. I know that these players are definitely putting in the work now so they can be ready during the fall."

HoffVir
06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
The Opening ‏@TheOpening2012
S/O and congrats to Lincoln-Way West (Ill.) OL Colin McGovern (@colin_mcgov60) on his invite to the 2012 #THEOPENING #IrishMob
Retweeted by Colin McGovern
9:22 PM - 13 Jun 12

Synoptico
06-14-2012, 08:19 AM
How many players does ND have going to the Opening? 6? Seems like ND is getting into some areas where they havent been much of an impact (Under Armour)

Jiggafini19
08-27-2012, 04:32 PM
LW West lost to Sycamore 19-13 in their opener.

Purebred Irishman
09-26-2012, 04:24 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7761-mcgovern-takes-pride-in-nd

Notre Dame offensive line commit Colin McGovern has been doing all he can to get to know his second home in South Bend. After attending Notre Dame's first home game against Purdue, the 6-foot-6, 285-pound made the return trip this past weekend to do his part in representing the 2013 Irish recruiting class.

Just like many of the other commits who were on campus, the whole experience left him shaking his head.

“It was absolutely ridiculous,” said McGovern in disbelief. “I've never been a part of something like that and it was the greatest atmosphere I have ever been in. Not just because it was the Notre Dame-Michigan rivalry, but the fact that Notre Dame is really putting everything together as a team. The offensive is working hard to get things worked out and the defense is just unbelievable. It really was amazing.

“When you bounce around from school to school, visiting, you're looking for a special tie-in to that school. Seeing then I'm committed to Notre Dame, I take pride in that school, so when they go out there and beat one of their rival it really leaves you with a great feeling.”

The Lincoln-Way West standout had a great time interacting with all the recruits, but he spent most of his time targeting one of Notre Dame's top offensive line targets in the class of 2014.

“Hunter (Bivin) and Steve (Elmer) were up there two weeks ago with me for the Purdue game, but this time I was able to catch up with James (Onuwalu) and a few others,” he shared. “I spent a lot of time hanging out with Ross Pierschbacher pretty much the entire day. He just received his offer, and with the number of guys in our offensive line class, we won't be looking for a lot of people for those positions next year. At least that's what coach (Harry) Hiestand is saying.

“We want to pick up two or three really good offensive lineman in that class, and Ross would fit in well. He was up at The Opening with Steve and I, and as a sophomore, he was holding his own against everyone, including the juniors. He would be a great one to pick up. Hopefully, he'll go out and visit a few places and then come back and realize how special Notre Dame is.”

McGovern knows there will still be plenty of opportunities this fall to help recruit for Notre Dame, and he has a goal of being at every home game for the rest of the season.

“I'm still planning on getting up to South Bend every chance I get,” said McGovern. “I only live about an hour and a half away and it's a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.”

Purebred Irishman
10-16-2012, 07:09 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7896-it-keeps-getting-better-for-mcgovern

Notre Dame offensive line commit Colin McGovern has kept his promise on making it to every Notre Dame home game this season and it seems like each time he shows up, it's a heart stopping event.

After last seeing Notre Dame handle Michigan and Denard Robinson, he had the pleasure of watching a good, old-fashioned, smash mouth, football game as the Irish defeated Stanford in overtime.

“It seems like that's been the pattern for my visits, because the games have been getting more exciting each week,” said McGovern with a laugh. “It seems like they take on a better team each week and have to prove themselves all over again. The offense struggled a little bit, with a few fumbles, but the defense kind of picked up the slack for them.”

With all the festivities surrounding the Notre Dame-Stanford matchup, McGovern really didn't know what to expect this time when he arrived in South Bend.

“Obviously, with College Game Day there, the walk wasn't as typically crowded as it normally would be,” he shared. “By the Gug it wasn't too crowded, but when you walked around the corner, it definitely got crazy. It seemed like everybody was trying to get into the ESPN shots over there and loving the game day experience. The atmosphere was different from before, but definitely still exciting.”

Just when he’s thought he's seen all that Notre Dame football can offer, the 6-foot-6, 285-pound trench warrior is once again left speechless by a classic finish.

“I probably said this about the Michigan game also, but this was by far the most ridiculous atmosphere I've ever been in,” admitted the Illinois standout. “Just being that it came down to the wire, it was amazing. When it came down to that last call and it had to be reviewed, I didn't know if I could take much more. I've had a lot of people come up to me and say, ‘That's B.S. and it should've been a touchdown.’ I tell them, if you look at the replay, I think his arm was down, so I think the right call was made.

“When the referee came back out and made the call after the review, the whole recruit section got pushed down onto the field by the student section. It really was ridiculous and really great.”

Normally, the talented lineman would’ve been on recruiting detail in South Bend, but this past weekend was all about friends and family.

“I pretty much just hung around with Hunter (Bivin) and Steve (Elmer) the whole day,” said McGovern. “We were over shopping in the bookstore, so we showed up about an hour late and by then, all the recruits were in their meetings. I also spent time with my dad and my sister, so it was really nice to just do that. It was more of a type of family day for me this time.”

The whole experience of seeing Notre Dame play on a weekly basis has left the Lincoln Way-West standout yearning for his turn wearing the blue and gold.

“Honestly, what I'm looking forward to the most is being a part of that,” he said. “I can't wait to get up there next year, hopefully play early, and be a part of a win like that.”

With BYU coming to town this weekend, you can definitely plan on seeing McGovern, up in the stands, rooting on his future teammates with his fellow amigos.

“I will be back up there and I believe Hunter and Steve will be there also,” said the talented lineman. “I think it'll be a pretty good game, but if Notre Dame can beat a top-ranked Stanford team, they should be able to beat this BYU team as long as they take care of business. I don't think coach Kelly will let the team take anybody lightly.”

zimmsbg78
10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU6UulkqWH2QLD3Q-GkXKNUw&v=iAcj84DaB6o&feature=player_detailpage

zimmsbg78
12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8288-determined-mcgovern-prepares-for-future (free)

We all know that offensive lineman at the college level are pretty much rough and tough guys who get beat up quite a bit and Irish 2013 commit Colin McGovern is no exception.

In the second round of the Illinois state playoffs this season, against an undefeated Kaneland team, the 6-foot-6, 285-pound Lincoln Way-West standout helped lead his team to a big 31-15 victory, but in the process suffered a pretty significant injury to his knee.

With his desire to help lead his team to a possible state championship, McGovern decided to play through the pain the next week against Joliet Catholic Academy. Unfortunately, they lost the contest, 21-20 in overtime, so all that was left was the long road to recovery.

“I'm still in physical therapy right now for my knee, so I haven't really been able to do all that much yet,” claimed a disappointed McGovern. “I've been working on my upper body, but I haven't been able to do much lower body work because of this injury. Basically, I'm trying to get my knee in somewhat good condition, so that I might be able to participate in the Under Armour All-American game. Right now though, it hasn't been improving over the last month.

“I have a slight tear of my PCL and meniscus, and I have a bone contusion as well. This has caused a double amount of fluid in my right knee than normal, so they have to get that fluid out. They tell me something’s still aggravated in there and that's why there's so much fluid. The plan is to get all the fluid out and start working on my quad strength again.”

The talented Illinois lineman took some time out of his rehabilitation schedule to travel up to South Bend this past weekend for Notre Dame's end of the season banquet and thought the whole thing was very impressive.

“The way they set it up this year, like a professional award show you'd see on ESPN, was pretty creative and I think it flowed pretty well,” he shared. “It really was a great way to spend my Friday night at Notre Dame and see all the great players honored.”

Not only did McGovern get to experience the pageantry of the event, he was also excited about reuniting with his “new family” again.

“I think the relationship we've developed in the class of 2013 is pretty special,” stated the offensive lineman. “Coach (Tony) Alford told us all at dinner that he's never seen a recruiting class that so close knit and he's been at a number of places where they've had good recruiting classes. I personally think we have a special class here and we’re going to do big things in the future.”

He also got the opportunity to welcome Greg Bryant, the five-star American Heritage running back and newest Notre Dame commit.

“I only got to speak to him for a little while, but he seemed like a really great kid.” he said of Bryant. “I'm really happy he decided to join the Irish mob.”

The talented lineman has made many trips up to South Bend the season to support the Irish at home games and also do his part in recruiting, but each time he arrives on campus, he feels he learns something new.

“Honestly, when I committed, it didn't register that Notre Dame had a 99-percent graduation rating among student athletes,” explained McGovern. “That in itself is a terrific reason to choose Notre Dame and academics is one of the main reasons I chose them. I mean a diploma from Notre Dame means you're pretty well set for the rest of your life.”

McGovern's claims he's ready to begin that next step.

“Now that high school football’s over and done with, I'm ready to get up there and do my thing,” he claimed confidently. “I'm already missing the game and I know I have to prepare my body for college football. I'm really pumped about getting up to Notre Dame next summer and starting to work with these guys.”

HoffVir
01-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Quick update on OL commit Colin McGovern
Jason Sapp
4 minutes ago

Touched base with Irish offensive line commit Colin McGovern tonight, who told me that his future position coach Harry Hiestand checked on him today.

The Under Armour All-American wasn't able to participate in the game because of his knee and he said he's currently still doing physical therapy at this time.

He met with a surgeon and was told that there wasn't any reason to do any operations, but did add that it could be another six months until he's fully healed.

McGovern will be headed to Notre Dame on Sunday to meet with its doctors and get a second opinion.

This post was edited by Jason Sapp on 1/15/2013 at 9:36 PM

http://notredame.247sports.com/Board/87/Quick-update-on-OL-commit-Colin-McGovern-15870572

Synoptico
02-06-2013, 08:36 AM
fax is in

HoffVir
02-06-2013, 08:41 AM
fax is in

Colin McGovern ♿ ‏@colin_mcgov60
I'm officially all Irish. Thank you to everybody that has helped me along this journey. It's truly an honor to be given this chance #GoIrish
8:36 AM - 6 Feb 13

Purebred Irishman
02-06-2013, 08:50 AM
ISDUpdate: Irish OL Commit Colin McGovern After Sending In His Fax: "It's amazing!! I've gotten chills multiple times now thinking about it. It's an.."

zimmsbg78
02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URr3XkcQ5_0&list=PLCflMxlQ6JYodzl8hlHiQ8Z2ckfAcffCC&feature=player_detailpage

IrishDodger
08-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Named starting right guard