PDA

View Full Version : '13 FL RB Greg Bryant (Verbal Commit 12/9/12 ND LOI)

zimmsbg78
11-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Running Back
Delray Beach, Florida
American Heritage School

Links of Interest:
Greg Bryant - Yahoo! Sports (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Greg-Bryant-120020)

Greg Bryant (http://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Bryant-8128?pi=1585)

Height:5'10"
Weight:193 lbs
Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mKogh1GGXk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc1OtWGs6cY&feature=player_embedded

Greg already holds verbal offers from Florida, UGA, OU, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Minnesota and Marshall. Receiving interest from ND, Bama, Auburn, Miami, FSU, Texas Tech, Tennessee, USCe, Clemson and UNC. Greg lists UGA and Florida as his current favorites but Florida is definitely in the drivers seat here. A little surprised has hans't pulled the trigger on a verbal yet.

2013 Florida RB Has Irish Interest (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5990-2013-florida-rb-has-irish-interest) (free)

With the injury to Jonas Gray in yesterday's game, the depth at running back for the Irish is scarce. Head coach Brian Kelly, may have to contemplate playing a freshman next week versus Stanford.

Not only is Notre Dame looking for another running back in the Class of 2012, but its also starting to look at some of the top prospects in 2013 to help fill a depleted depth chart.

One junior running back, the Irish are looking at is Greg Bryant of American Heritage High School in Delray Beach, Fla.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound tailback has received offers from Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Minnesota, Marshall, Florida Atlantic and Bowling Green among others. He's also receiving interest from Notre Dame, Alabama, Auburn, Miami, Florida State, Texas Tech, Tennessee, South Carolina, Clemson and North Carolina.

The Florida native has been receiving increasing interest from the Notre Dame coaching staff. Recently, running backs coach Tim Hinton made a call to Bryant to tell him how interested the Irish are.

"My coach came and pulled me out of my math class and Coach Hinton was on the phone," he said. "He was just telling me how they think I'm a great player and to keep working hard. He also told me that I'm the kind of player that they're looking for at Notre Dame."

While Bryant is interested in the Irish program, he admits that he isn't very familiar with Notre Dame.

"I really don't know anything about them, so I've been looking some stuff up on the computer," he explained. "I'm interested in them, so I can learn more about them and see if the school is a fit for me. Everything I've read so far, shows that's a great academic school with a lot of tradition."

Is Notre Dame a school Bryant would consider visiting?

"I'm not sure right now, that'll be something I think of down the line," he stated.

Even though it's early in the process, the Delray Beach star has a couple of schools standing out to him.

"I really like Florida and Georgia because they are both great programs," he said. "There's a lot of other programs I really want to check out this spring and next summer."

Bryant, who rushed for over 1,400 yards and around 20 touchdowns, is looking for the opportunity to play as a freshman.

"I think I could be a strong contributor, but I just want the chance to be able to compete for a spot," explained Bryant. "I'm also looking for a place I can fit in socially and have a great relationship with the coaching staff. I'm looking for a place that has a history of putting players in the league."

zimmsbg78
01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
According to Rivals, ND had verbally offered Greg.

zimmsbg78
02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Sunday standouts in south Florida (http://247sports.com/Article/Sunday-standouts-in-south-Florida-60216) (free)

PLANTATION, Fla. – Nowhere in the country are players more anxious to compete than in Broward, Dade and Palm Beach Counties in south Florida. On Sunday, several 7on7 teams showed up at American Heritage High School and players were coming out of the wood work at the chance to demonstrate their ability in a competitive 7on7 setting.

The event was essentially a tryout for the South Florida Fire 7on7 team. But also present at the event were the South Florida Blur and Hard Knocks. All told, some of the top players in south Florida were at the event, and they weren’t all necessarily rising seniors.

We take a look at a few of the individual standouts in the loaded setting.

Greg Bryant, RB, Delray Beach (Fla.) American Heritage

It’s going to be hard to find a better looking running back from a physical standpoint than Bryant anywhere in the country. He was that once again on Sunday but he showed a powerful burst with the ball and good hands to boot. Currently Bryant lists an Oklahoma visit this spring as the only thing on his agenda. He has over 20 national offers and led his team to a state championship in 2011.

Just last week Greg stated he had a current top four of ND, Bama, U$C and OU. I honestly think ND is window dressing here. During the season Greg was heavily leaning Florida and UGA and now both teams don't make his new top four? I think Florida is still a major player here.

zimmsbg78
02-23-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc1OtWGs6cY&feature=player_embedded

bluedevilmcbx
03-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Has an updated current top 3 of ND, USCe, and U$C

Purebred Irishman
04-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Scout.com: Sooners Nab Second 2013 Running Back (http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=1173134&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2f2% 2f1173134.html)

NORMAN, Okla. — Running back Greg Bryant took his trip to OU this weekend and couldn't resist committing to the Crimson and Cream.

NDisNCin2010
04-01-2012, 10:55 AM
"crimson and cream" ?? is that what they call themselves?

KamaraPolice
04-01-2012, 06:22 PM
"crimson and cream" ?? is that what they call themselves?

i guess; although, I've never heard and oklahoma grad mention cream without the word sister.

irishunclebill
07-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Decommitted OU. Now listed by Rivals as having High Interest in USCe & Auburn.

zimmsbg78
07-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Decommitted OU. Now listed by Rivals as having High Interest in USCe & Auburn.

http://247sports.com/Article/4-star-running-back-Greg-Bryant-is-back-on-the-market-82914 (free)

One of the nation’s top running backs is back on the market.

Four-star running back Greg Bryant from American Heritage in Delray Beach, Fla., decommitted from Oklahoma Monday night, confirming his decision in a text to AuburnUndercover.com.

Bryant had been committed to the Sooners for four months but visited Auburn in June and now lists the Tigers and South Carolina as his top two.

Bryant, 5-foot-11 and 196 pounds, has more than 20 offers including Auburn, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida State, Clemson, USC, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Bryant is rated the nation’s No. 3 running back and No. 31 overall prospect in the 247Composite rankings. He rushed for 1,973 yards and 25 touchdowns on 189 carries as a junior.

zimmsbg78
11-14-2012, 09:48 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1436008 (free)

Five-star running back Greg Bryant is down to Auburn, Florida State and South Carolina. The Gamecocks seem to have the best path to playing time with the injury to Marcus Lattimore and run an offense more geared toward his talents.

With Auburn's coaching issues and FSU already having Ryan Green and being the front-runner for Alex Collins, South Carolina seems like the team to beat. We'll see who Auburn hires, where Collins lands and I have a hard time believing that Miami won't make a strong push down the stretch like they are for Green.

pmarrack
11-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Per Steve Wiltfong's Twitter, Bryant has scheduled an OV to Notre Dame.

irishunclebill
11-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Per Steve Wiltfong's Twitter, Bryant has scheduled an OV to Notre Dame.

Weekend of 12/7, which is when the Post Season Awards Show formerly known as the Football Banquet will be taking place.

Also Alford is scheduled to do an in-home visit with him tomorrow.

eric_navy
11-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Weekend of 12/7, which is when the Post Season Awards Show formerly known as the Football Banquet will be taking place.

Also Alford is scheduled to do an in-home visit with him tomorrow.

He's coming to the PSASFKATFB? Sweet!

irishunclebill
11-26-2012, 11:57 PM

Has a certain ring to it doesn't it.

TJimmy
11-27-2012, 12:26 AM
SWEETNESS!!!

jbrown_9999
11-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Does anyone know if the commit rate for recruits that officially visit still about 50%?

DirtySecret
11-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Would it be wrong to say I think Tarean Folston is the better prospect..

iloveirish_12
11-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Would it be wrong to say I think Tarean Folston is the better prospect..

it would be nice to have either one. How many spots are left open for this class ?

SouthernIrish
11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
i think only 3. no one really knows because no one knows who is willing to come back for a 5th year. my guess is Z Martin, C Watt and either Fox/Calabrese. not both. That means we could take 1 RB, AQM at DE and Redfield at S. if mattingly or James jump ship, obviously those spots would open too.

IrishinTN
11-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Gezundheit.

zimmsbg78
11-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Some senior year highlights............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7buwZbDzzk&feature=player_detailpage

irishunclebill
11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
i think only 3. no one really knows because no one knows who is willing to come back for a 5th year. my guess is Z Martin, C Watt and either Fox/Calabrese. not both. That means we could take 1 RB, AQM at DE and Redfield at S. if mattingly or James jump ship, obviously those spots would open too.

That would be a big surprise, to me at least. I think both Fox & Calabrese are locks to return. My guess is that additional schollie opportunities if needed will come from one or two current schollie players going the medical schollie route.

NDgrandson
11-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I like this development.

Irish#1
11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Look for Mattingly to end up at UCLA.

TJimmy
12-01-2012, 01:59 AM
I really, really, really hope we get this kid. He looks great!

stonebreakerwasgod
12-01-2012, 04:44 AM
We have 4 spots if count James and Mattingly, which I do.

IrishDodger
12-01-2012, 12:21 PM
That would be a big surprise, to me at least. I think both Fox & Calabrese are locks to return. My guess is that additional schollie opportunities if needed will come from one or two current schollie players going the medical schollie route.

Me too. I think both Fox & Calabrese return for a fifth yr.

SouthernIrish
12-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't know why it would be a surprise to anyone unless BK has stated both are coming back. If Eddie vanderdoes wants to commit would you cut either fox or Carlo? I would both if I had to. No one knows for sure who is coming back or how many commits nd will have in 2 months. The point is what is known that would keep someone from being surprised??! Nothing.

IrishDodger
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't know why it would be a surprise to anyone unless BK has stated both are coming back. If Eddie vanderdoes wants to commit would you cut either fox or Carlo? I would both if I had to. No one knows for sure who is coming back or how many commits nd will have in 2 months. The point is what is known that would keep someone from being surprised??! Nothing.

Well Fox believes he's coming back. He was asked by fans outside the stadium after the WF game if he was coming back. His response was, "Oh yeah"...not "We'll see..." or "That's up to the coaches". I realize the staff could change their mind, but to lead a guy on when you're not sure makes no sense.

With Calabrese, I go more by what Prister has reported. He offers no inside scoop but he seems to have the pulse of this staff.

HoffVir
12-02-2012, 05:46 PM
You do not "cut" a starter. Period. At the moment, it's debatable whether Carlo would be one in 2013, but Fox probably will be.

irishunclebill
12-02-2012, 06:23 PM

All true but everyone who gets paid to speculate on this subject that I have seen seems to think that both Fox & Calabrese will be coming back, even Mike Frank, and how is it any different for me to be surprised if they both don't come back than your saying pretty definitively in your previous comment on this that it will be either Fox/Calabrese, not both.

SouthernIrish
12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
i didn't mean to be definitive about it at all. but with scholarships being so tight i wouldn't expect to bring back 2 guys that play the same position. we have talent behind them. not experienced but I think Moore is ok, & Grace is supposed to be really good. If both Fox and Carlo come back, we'll have 14 guys playing LB (ILB and OLB) plus J. Smith, Deeb, Anazalone, Randolph, and maybe Mattingly and AQM. BK is never hestitant to move guys around but that seems like a whole lot of guys for 4 spots. 20. Plus some ppl are saying that Smith and Anazalone are so good they might compete for playing time next year. When you said surprised, i took it as you knew something definitive yourself which i hadn't heard at all.

Besides, when do you listen to what Mike Frank has to say?!:no:

irishunclebill
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
i didn't mean to be definitive about it at all. but with scholarships being so tight i wouldn't expect to bring back 2 guys that play the same position. we have talent behind them. not experienced but I think Moore is ok, & Grace is supposed to be really good. If both Fox and Carlo come back, we'll have 14 guys playing LB (ILB and OLB) plus J. Smith, Deeb, Anazalone, Randolph, and maybe Mattingly and AQM. BK is never hestitant to move guys around but that seems like a whole lot of guys for 4 spots. 20. Plus some ppl are saying that Smith and Anazalone are so good they might compete for playing time next year. When you said surprised, i took it as you knew something definitive yourself which i hadn't heard at all.

Besides, when do you listen to what Mike Frank has to say?!:no:

I don't but you usually do, that is why I brought him up. :biggrin:

HoffVir
12-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Devin Butler ‏@DevinButler_7
@gb4heritage ya ready for this official this weekend bruh?Greg Bryant ‏@gb4heritage
6:04 PM - 4 Dec 12

Greg Bryant ‏@gb4heritage
@DevinButler_7 You already know cant wait to link up
Retweeted by Devin Butler
6:16 PM - 4 Dec 12

Devin Butler ‏@DevinButler_7
@gb4heritage it's gon get real out there I'm tellin ya be ready lol
7:04 PM - 4 Dec 12

SouthernIrish
12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
OHHH! they gonna party in the BEND!!! probably not. sure hope he likes it. just don't see him committing to the IRISH based on his desire to stay in the South.

stonebreakerwasgod
12-09-2012, 11:08 AM
And we have a commitment. Welcome to ND nation!

mlcspinner
12-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
#NotreDame has landed a commitment from five-star running back Greg Bryant during his official visit ($)

ND from NE
12-09-2012, 11:25 AM
huge get! welcome to the family Mr. Bryant

NotreDameNate
12-09-2012, 12:47 PM
WOW! That is excellent! Welcome aboard young man!

KDinPA
12-09-2012, 01:40 PM
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/Greg%20Bryant.jpg

This kid looks like he' NFL-ready...

IrishCrasher
12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
WORK..... HE IS BEAST!!!!!!

Welcome to the bend!

JDriveSthND
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Unbelievable. He looks like he'd run over most defenders at the next level already. Huge get! This staff was excellent at recruiting before, but now that ND's back, they're going to be the big guys in the living room with other programs trying to get traction.

Purebred Irishman
12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Great pick up for ND.. Congrats Greg on your decision

irishunclebill
12-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Moves ND back up to #2 on Rivals.

irishunclebill
12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/8280-bryant-commits

Bryant Commits

Sunday, 09 December 2012 11:09 Christian McCollum

The buzz around Greg Bryant heading into this weekend’s official visit to Notre Dame was that the Florida running back could go ahead and commit to the Irish if it felt right.

Well, it did and he did.

The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder from Delray Beach, Fla., offered his commitment to the Irish on Saturday night, giving them 22 verbal commitments in the Class of 2013 and a much-coveted running back.

Bryant made an early commitment to Oklahoma, but backed away from that pledge this summer. Notre Dame emerged as an option last month and the momentum has moved the Irish from option to favorite with Tony Alford leading the charge.

Bryant gives the Irish a pair of running back commits in the class, joining Texas’ Jamel James, but James has flirted with the idea of taking other visits and still may need to do some work in the classroom. Either way, Notre Dame is still aggressively pursuing another Florida running back, Tarean Folston.

TJimmy
12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
SSSWWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!
Welcome Greg, we are glad you are IRISH!!!

LOVEMYIRISH
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
AWESOME!!! Big time RB, I love it!!!

Irish Joe
12-09-2012, 08:35 PM
First thing I think of when I see a 5-star RB is a game changer like Marcus Lattimore. To you recruiting gurus, who can you compare Bryant with and is he a game changer? Think we could see him as the starter in week 1?

HoffVir
12-09-2012, 09:27 PM
First thing I think of when I see a 5-star RB is a game changer like Marcus Lattimore. To you recruiting gurus, who can you compare Bryant with and is he a game changer? Think we could see him as the starter in week 1?

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike
Greg Bryant commitment to #NotreDame a home run for the Irish. Great player, great character. Theo Riddick but much more upside
11:47 AM - 9 Dec 12

Works for me.

tedwick
12-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Huh. I know people keep tossing out Theo Riddick, but I just don't really see it. I guess he's probably the most similar on the team right now, but that's not saying a whole lot given the other two guys are Cierre and GAIII. Looks more like James Aldridge or Julius Jones to me if I had to choose recent ND guys.

Sweeney6083
12-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I think he could be a robert hughes or Bettis, best case sceniario

stonebreakerwasgod
12-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Lee becton for the win. Lol

Purebred Irishman
12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/12/09/irish-land-coveted-rb-recruit-greg-bryant/related/

If you are looking for proof that Notre Dame’s resurgent season is helping with recruiting, look no further than running back Greg Bryant. The five-star, blue-chip running back, viewed by Rivals as the second best running back in the ’13 class and one of the top 20 players in the country, committed to Notre Dame this weekend, wrapping up a whirlwind recruitment that finds Notre Dame landing one of the best players in the country at one of its biggest positions of need.

On paper, landing Bryant shouldn’t be that surprising. He had built a tremendous relationship with his recruiter, Tony Alford. His father was a huge fan of the Irish, openly acknowledging the power of a Notre Dame degree, and citing talking points like graduation rates.

Yet Notre Dame saw a similar situation last year with one of South Florida’s elite prospects, Nelson Agholor. On paper, Agholor was a recruit that seemed destined for the Irish, but even with a strong relationship with Alford, Agholor decided to head to Southern Cal, his belief in the trajectory of the program as much of a factor as anything else.

In Bryant, the Irish are reaping the rewards of being one of college football’s best teams on the field, a remarkable addition to the usual benefits that are already associated with Notre Dame. Taking his official visit this weekend, Bryant was in attendance for the football program’s annual awards show, one of the strongest selling points you could show a prospect. And with nearly a dozen of his future classmates in attendance, Bryant gave the Irish his commitment.

“I came up here this weekend and liked everything I saw,” Bryant exclusively told BlueandGold.com. “I’d be a fool not to take advantage of this great opportunity. Coach Alford kept it real with me the whole time and all of that came together.”

It’s hard to find an offer list more impressive than Bryant’s, with Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia, and all the major Florida schools offering Bryant a scholarship. As a physically developed runner with a nice blend of power and speed, Bryant will immediately insert himself into a running back depth chart that could have a ton of uncertainty with Cierre Wood likely heading to the NFL along with Theo Riddick.

Bryant’s commitment gives the Irish one running back for sure in their recruiting class. Texas bruiser Jamel James is still technically a commitment, but he’s entertaining other offers and reportedly has a little bit left to do on the academic side of things, too.

After seeing much of his success come on the defensive side of the ball, Brian Kelly is starting to make some moves with offensive recruits. With a commitment to “players, not plays,” Kelly has added a key piece of personnel in Bryant.

Just another one of the perks that come with being the No. 1 team in the country.

zimmsbg78
12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1446982 (free with video)..........

After just a couple weeks of progress Notre Dame has completed its late season surge with one of the top playmakers in the country.

Five-star running back Greg Bryant has given a verbal commitment to the Irish, capping a recruitment that seemed to have little life between the two parties a month ago. Bryant also considered Auburn, Florida State, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Bryant's father confirmed the news to Rivals.com via text message.

"One hundred percent (graduation rate) for minority athletes, 97 percent for team graduation," father Greg Bryant Sr. said of the reasons behind his son's commitment. "I like those odds. Everyone else 50 percent or below. It's bigger than the game of football."

Bryant becomes the second five-star prospect to commit to Notre Dame, joining linebacker Jaylon Smith.

Oklahoma scored a commitment from the 5-foot-11, 197-pound prospect March 31 on the heels of an unofficial visit. Bryant would go on to reopen the recruiting process in July. Scholarship offers on the table included Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida State, South Carolina, USC and Tennessee, among others.

Notre Dame offered in January and picked up some immediate traction through a relationship starting to build with assistant coach Tony Alford, who recruits Florida. Bryant hails from Delray Beach.

"They have great academics and I'm real close to coach Tony," Bryant told Irish Illustrated in February. "We always talk a lot and he's just real cool. It seems like that would be a good place."

Coming out of his de-commitment from Oklahoma, however, it appeared Notre Dame as on the outside looking in. Bryant had not been listing the Irish as a potential landing spot as recently as October.

But once the season drew to a close Alford returned to Florida to pick things up with Bryant and scored an official visit, which occurred this weekend.

Bryant joined several committed prospects for the postseason awards show. Before leaving town he committed, becoming the 22nd member of the class after Washington linebacker Danny Mattingly de-committed earlier in the week.

Rivals.com lists Bryant as the second-best running back in the country and No. 16 prospect overall.

NDgrandson
12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I am very happy we got Bryant. I am also amused by the variety of comparisons. So let me throw in my $0.02.

What stands out to me with Bryant, is that he's extremely ripped. This kid is a specimen. He is taller than Theo. He is probably more top heavy than Theo too. Theo uses his lower body strength for his quick cuts and his core to lower his head and power through tackles. Otherwise I do think they are similar. I like hearing how he has a high football IQ. Now he needs to be coached up to learn the tricks of the trade that Theo is so good at. But I see him as an all purpose back like Theo. Physically, I'd say Adrian Peterson.

DiamDawg
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Wow ... this kid is huge ... hes good ... this is way more fun than the last twenty years or so .... woooohooooo .... :)

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimmsbg78
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUUfmL055nWFEwUBdn94BVHA&v=rtijKL7eYnE&feature=player_detailpage

NDgrandson
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Woah! His dad is a coach and he is ripped!

zimmsbg78
12-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Player profile.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0kAJuKwitFQ

zimmsbg78
12-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Highlights from games during his senior season.........

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/893527/#highlights/33460374

zimmsbg78
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Video interview with Farrell from the Army All-American registration..........

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/army-greg-bryant-1111598

zimmsbg78
01-02-2013, 08:59 AM

JMR8
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Reading one of the 'bowl practice updates' and it mentioned GB being a serious Player for possible Army Game MVP. Can't wait to see him in action!

zimmsbg78
01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMOp2tHcr0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ-cSaB3dUU&feature=player_embedded

HoffVir
01-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Jake Brown ‏@Jake_Brown
#NotreDame RB commit Greg Bryant: "I was going to ND whether coach Kelly was coming back or not. Now we just got even better. Go Irish."
5:50 PM - 12 Jan 13

NotreDameNate
01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Jake Brown ‏@Jake_Brown
#NotreDame RB commit Greg Bryant: "I was going to ND whether coach Kelly was coming back or not. Now we just got even better. Go Irish."
5:50 PM - 12 Jan 13

Wanna know the difference between these kids and Anzalone???? There you have it!

HoffVir
01-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Greg Bryant ‏@GB6for6
Rumors are Rumors im not going no where else but the University of Notre Dame thats my home for the next 3-4 years! ��
11:03 AM - 22 Jan 13

Dayton_Domer
01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Greg - thanks for squashing the rumor.

HoffVir
02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Matt Porter ‏@mattyports
Greg Bryant tidbit: As of last week, #FSU called his mom -- GB or his Dad weren't picking up -- and enlisted Keith Bryant to recruit him.
Retweeted by JC Shurburtt
8:55 AM - 5 Feb 13

jerseyborn1971
02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I am trying to remember when was the last time a solidly committed kid switched in last few days because coaches kept calling them. Not wishy-washy kids, but ones that said they were set with their choice.

irishunclebill
02-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Matt Porter ‏@mattyports
Greg Bryant tidbit: As of last week, #FSU called his mom -- GB or his Dad weren't picking up -- and enlisted Keith Bryant to recruit him.
Retweeted by JC Shurburtt
8:55 AM - 5 Feb 13

Keith Bryant is not even a FSU verbal and they are enlisting him to recruit Greg. Keith might end up trying to recruit him to a different school.

iloveirish_12
02-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Who is Keith Bryant?

irishunclebill
02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Who is Keith Bryant?

He's a Senior in HS and a DT also from Delray Beach, although he goes to a different school than Greg. I assume they are related in some way but I am not really sure. Keith is said to be leaning to FSU but still also considering Miami where he was once verbally committed.

iloveirish_12
02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks.

ChicagoIrish
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Read today that they are not related, but they went to the same elementary school and they know each other well. The name is a coincidence.

irishunclebill
02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Read today that they are not related, but they went to the same elementary school and they know each other well. The name is a coincidence.

Thanks, I was too lazy to try to look that up.

iloveirish_12
02-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Greg Bryant ‏@GB6for6

Just got off the phone with Coach Kelley cant wait to sign that LOI with the University of Notre Dame #Domer!

Synoptico
02-06-2013, 08:39 AM
fax is in

zimmsbg78
02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBDJ-2sv7I&feature=player_detailpage

HoffVir
02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Just a reminder, Bryant is the highest rated running back to sign with the Irish in the Rivals.com era (since 2002). Get excited.

NotreDameNate
02-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Just a reminder, Bryant doesn't have "elite" speed. I really hate that statement! What is elite speed? The dude is a great RB, no more, no less. I wonder if Reggie Brooks, Jerome Bettis, Autrey Denson, Julius Jones and a number of other's had "elite" speed?

Sorry for the quick rant.

HoffVir
02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Seven signees that will impact 2013 season
Feb 8 8:42AM ET
By Brett Perrotta | ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2012/0924/rn_i_gregbryant1_ms_576.jpg
Notre Dame's Greg Bryant (with ball) is a 2013 signee than can make an immediate impact this fall.

Signing day has come and gone and with much of the ESPN 300 having made their college decisions, we look at seven signees from the 2013 class that can make an immediate impact next fall:

RB Greg Bryant, Notre Dame http://static.mobile.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/mobile/sml/87.png
Cierre Wood and Theo Riddick are gone, leaving a vacancy in the backfield and over 300 carries to go around. Bryant is the first top-10 running back the Irish have signed since James Aldridge in 2006. Notre Dame posted a respectable 4.9 yards per carry as a team last season and will return three starters on the offensive line. With returning dual-threat quarterback Everett Golson, Bryant should have plenty of room to work.

QB Christian Hackenberg, Penn State http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/213.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Matt McGloin threw for eight touchdowns and 5 interceptions in 2011. He had the same amount of picks last season, but led the Big Ten in both yards (3,271) and touchdowns (24) through the air. The difference? Coach Bill O’Brien, who tailored his offense to McGloin’s skills. Hackenberg's No. 1 ranking indicates his physical tools and with O’Brien’s help, will likely be put in a position to succeed.

ILB Reuben Foster, Alabama http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/333.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Is Alabama the new hotbed for talented linebackers? Nick Saban is certainly making a case for it. Under Saban, the Tide’s marquee linebackers have all been in the running for the Butkus Award (nation’s top linebacker). With Nico Johnson heading for the draft, Foster could very well step in next to C.J. Mosley to solidify the front seven on one of the most dominant defensive units in the FBS.

WR Robbie Rhodes, Baylor http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/239.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Terrance Williams and Lanear Sampson are leaving Waco, but the Bears will still be running their wide-open offensive scheme and need playmakers on the outside. Losing Williams is huge, as no player in FBS had more receiving yards than he did last season. But Rhodes is the highest-rated player the Bears have signed since the ESPN 150 began in 2006, and he is the first top-10 receiver they have signed as well.

RB Derrick Green, Michigan http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/130.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Fitz Toussaint’s status for 2013 is unknown following ankle surgery and by the end of last season, Denard Robinson was getting a majority of the carries at running back with Devin Gardner at quarterback. Green is the highest-ranked running back prospect to head to Ann Arbor in the history of the ESPN 150, and without Robinson or a healthy Toussaint, the Wolverines backfield should have plenty of carries up for grabs.

ATH Greg Taboada & TE Eric Cotton Jr., Stanford http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/24.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
There is not a school in the country which has relied on its tight ends more than Stanford in recent seasons. Like Coby Fleener before them, Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo are headed for the NFL draft and the Cardinal are looking for help at a vital position in their offense. The last top-20 tight end that signed with Stanford was Davis Dudchock in 2010, but he has yet to catch a pass in his collegiate career. Cotton is a pure tight end, while Taboada projects at either tight end or as a pass rusher - which is another position the Cardinal value, as the FBS leader in sacks last season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/61687/6-signings-that-will-impact-the-2013-season#comment

lowayne
02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
So Greg is 200lbs and looks pretty much like a ripped grown man. Is there much room for him to add weight?

eric_navy
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Just a reminder, Bryant is the highest rated running back to sign with the Irish in the Rivals.com era (since 2002). Get excited.

I'm definitely excited, although Bryant is one of several highly-rated RB's that ND has recruited in the last decade.

Cierre was the #1 RB for a good portion of 2009 before Bryce Brown overtook him. He was a Rivals 5 star player right to the end, when he suddenly dropped to the #8 RB (#76 overall) for reasons that are unclear to me. Of note (think about OU):

CATEGORY RANKINGS: RUNNING BACKS
HOME-RUN THREAT
5. Cierre Wood, Oxnard (Calif.) Santa Clara
COMMITMENT: Notre Dame
BUZZ: All he needs is a seam and a head of steam, and he can go the distance.

Jonas Gray was the #4 RB (#72 overall) and a high 4-star prospect in that great class of 2008. In 2007, Armando Allen was rated as the #2 All-purpose Back (#52 overall) and Robert Hughes was the #7 RB (#77 overall). James Aldridge (aka. Mr. What-Might-Have-Been) was the #3 RB and #27 overall player in 2006 and a Rivals 5-star recruit.

We have had plenty of very talented running backs, but their success has been variable, both compared to one-another and over the courses of their careers for whatever reason. Aldridge never really came back from a bad injury. We went through a couple of years of truly abysmal O-line play a few more where it was decidedly mediocre. We have had coaches who, at times, show little inclination to run the ball at all. Cierre seemed to have trouble getting out of the coaches' doghouse last year. Luck. Whatever.

If Bryant is more successful than these players, I think we will all be very happy. He, along with a lot of his classmates, has the ability to help create something great at ND. Despite all the hand-wringing on some other websites about run/pass ratios, the running game has improved a great deal under Kelly. Last year was the strongest ND has been on the ground in quite a while, and I think that fact played a big role in the success of the team. With Atkinson returning and Bryant (and Folston!) joining the roster, Coach Kelly has good reason to remember to run the ball while he opens up the passing game.

HoffVir
07-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Seems like a humble kid. :biggrin:

Greg Bryant #⃣1⃣ ‏@GB6for6
Chosen1 pic.twitter.com/BKc0ICII4v
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQiBhPPCQAIWhyX.jpg
5:12 PM - 31 Jul 13

Domer Dog
07-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Little Herc. Humble or not, he is incredibly ripped. What a specimen.

NotreDameNate
07-31-2013, 11:54 PM
I like it! We need some attitude... And don't lie, if any of us were cut up like that we would be posing for pics too. :biggrin:

BigIrish
08-01-2013, 10:18 AM
He certainly looks the part. He has the physique of a 5th year senior...

BlakeJ
10-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Reading alot of news that Greg Bryant is possibly transferring. I saw this coming a mile away. Redshirt burned...and behind 3 Juniors on the depth chart. Hope its not true.

IrishDodger
10-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Reading alot of news that Greg Bryant is possibly transferring. I saw this coming a mile away. Redshirt burned...and behind 3 Juniors on the depth chart. Hope its not true.

Yup, even Stevie Wonder saw this coming. Has it been determined his RS is burned....I thought he was eligible for a medical RS?

BlakeJ
10-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Yup, even Stevie Wonder saw this coming. Has it been determined his RS is burned....I thought he was eligible for a medical RS?

Possibly. Hard to keep guys like that who are so touted out of High School entering a crowded depth chart. Hood can say he left because of family, but everyone knows he relooked the depth chart and ran away.

I wish he would stay. Some people are motivated by things like this...and some run for the hills.

IrishDodger
10-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Possibly. Hard to keep guys like that who are so touted out of High School entering a crowded depth chart. Hood can say he left because of family, but everyone knows he relooked the depth chart and ran away.

I wish he would stay. Some people are motivated by things like this...and some run for the hills.

It's not like he would've stayed four yrs anyway....assuming he's as good as the everyone projects him to be. Folston has burned his RS, so the staff better use this bye week to get a stud RB b/c our future depth is going from an embarrassment of riches to as bad as ILB depth.

I don't think it'd be a matter of competition if they knew they could split carries in a true rushing attack, but seeing as BKs offense is not a run first offense, why would a stud 4-5 star HS back consider ND?

BlakeJ
10-08-2013, 06:33 PM
It's not like he would've stayed four yrs anyway....assuming he's as good as the everyone projects him to be. Folston has burned his RS, so the staff better use this bye week to get a stud RB b/c our future depth is going from an embarrassment of riches to as bad as ILB depth.

I don't think it'd be a matter of competition if they knew they could split carries in a true rushing attack, but seeing as BKs offense is not a run first offense, why would a stud 4-5 star HS back consider ND?

Fournette kid in Louisiana is a beast! Saw him play John Curtis the other night and single handedly led them to victory. No chance we get him...but that would be nice.

Greg's tape jumped out significantly last year....was excited to see what he could do.

NotreDameNate
10-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Damnit! Why would he be transferring? He's a true freshman and the depth will quickly disappear and it will be him and Folston. Damn we can't keep losing guys like this!

JDriveSthND
10-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Damnit! Why would he be transferring? He's a true freshman and the depth will quickly disappear and it will be him and Folston. Damn we can't keep losing guys like this!

Where did you even see this?

IrishDodger
10-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Fournette kid in Louisiana is a beast! Saw him play John Curtis the other night and single handedly led them to victory. No chance we get him...but that would be nice.

Greg's tape jumped out significantly last year....was excited to see what he could do.

Been awhile since we snared a true stud out of the Pelican St. When Holtz & Davie were able to do it, LSU, Bama & the SEC as a whole were not as powerful.

BlakeJ
10-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Where did you even see this?

Twitter world is fired up. Numerous sources and tweets stating Bryant may be transferring.

en dee seattle
10-09-2013, 02:23 AM
Mo stars, mo problems.

polishdomer
10-09-2013, 02:25 AM
I don't consider The Onion a legitimate news source...

JDriveSthND
10-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Twitter world is fired up. Numerous sources and tweets stating Bryant may be transferring.

Care to post some links? None of the majors (Rivals, Scout, 247Sports, ESPN) are reporting anything of the kind yet.

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Care to post some links? None of the majors (Rivals, Scout, 247Sports, ESPN) are reporting anything of the kind yet.

Goto Twitter. Search Greg Bryant.

I said I have been reading alot of stuff talking about Greg Bryant transferring. Nothing is ever final until BK addresses it.

IrishCrasher
10-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Goto Twitter. Search Greg Bryant.

I said I have been reading alot of stuff talking about Greg Bryant transferring. Nothing is ever final until BK addresses it.

Just add your sources... Add your twitter links, insert the hyperlink... After the Oklahoma Thread, its hard to take you for anything less than "chicken little the ski is falling" unless you quote some legit sources.

Gold Helmet doesn't create news it reports it to the athletes appropriate link.

HoffVir
10-09-2013, 10:30 AM
From the somewhat extensive list of Notre Dame football and college football twitter accounts I follow, I haven't seen anything about him leaving ... yet. The last thing posted about him was him not traveling with the team to Texas because he was injured.

What I have seen, and this could be what BlakeJ is referencing is some dust stirring about him, but it's just from fans like us asking if it's true. Nothing concrete out there yet.

HoffVir
10-09-2013, 10:32 AM
And just as I make the post above, Rivals tweets they have talked with Greg Bryant's father about the transfer rumors ...

HoffVir
10-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I can't read it, but a buddy sent me the jist of it, "Pops admits he is frustrated, but denies he is going to transfer."

HoffVir
10-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Just for some perspective, another buddy sent me the following in an email:

4/5 Star tranfers per MB thread on Rivals from their respective fanbases. Take it for what its worth.

Notre Dame - 7(?) if you count Vanderdoes and Shepard -- Bullard, Evans, Lynch, Kiel, Neal, Vanderdoes and Shepard

Oregon - 6
Oklahoma - 10
USC - 20
Auburn - 8
Nebraska - 7
Tennessee - 9
Texas - 13

Happens everywhere.

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Just add your sources... Add your twitter links, insert the hyperlink... After the Oklahoma Thread, its hard to take you for anything less than "chicken little the ski is falling" unless you quote some legit sources.

Gold Helmet doesn't create news it reports it to the athletes appropriate link.

Let it go man. Good lord.

I first read the rumors on DomerDomain. Reading similar stuff on Irish Illustrated. So I went to twitter.

https://twitter.com/GerbsIrish02/status/387775246092488704

https://twitter.com/RumorsandRants/status/387699219030884352

https://twitter.com/BSpeaks_24/status/387755637087948800

That's a few....they are all over. Also have read on other sites that his dad has said he's frustrated but nothing about him leaving.

Like I said in my original post. I could see him being frustrated by the depth chart and leaving...one of my biggest worries when we brought him in. All I said was that I have been reading stuff that suggests he's transferring. The places that Im reading it seems like when these rumors pop up alot more times than not it ends up happening eventually.

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I can't read it, but a buddy sent me the jist of it, "Pops admits he is frustrated, but denies he is going to transfer."

There's also people talking about him and BK not mixing very well. Have you heard about that? It seems crazy because he was ALL IN for ND this past summer.

HoffVir
10-09-2013, 10:57 AM
There's also people talking about him and BK not mixing very well. Have you heard about that? It seems crazy because he was ALL IN for ND this past summer.

Nope. Not yet. But any transfer rumor or not getting along with the coach rumor can be started by anyone.

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Nope. Not yet. But any transfer rumor or not getting along with the coach rumor can be started by anyone.

True. Hope its not true. Gregs High School tape was one of my favorites by any ND recruit in recent history.

polishdomer
10-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Per my source at the South Dining Hall, the food does not agree with him.

IrishCrasher
10-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Let it go man. Good lord.

I first read the rumors on DomerDomain. Reading similar stuff on Irish Illustrated. So I went to twitter.

https://twitter.com/GerbsIrish02/status/387775246092488704

https://twitter.com/RumorsandRants/status/387699219030884352

https://twitter.com/BSpeaks_24/status/387755637087948800

That's a few....they are all over. Also have read on other sites that his dad has said he's frustrated but nothing about him leaving.

Like I said in my original post. I could see him being frustrated by the depth chart and leaving...one of my biggest worries when we brought him in. All I said was that I have been reading stuff that suggests he's transferring. The places that Im reading it seems like when these rumors pop up alot more times than not it ends up happening eventually.

I'm not actually starting anything with you, I'm simply stating an unwritten board rule... I said what I felt about you in the last thread, your not someone I lose sleep over. I will learn to deal with you over time. Just saying quote a source when reporting news. Otherwise you'll end up getting responses just like what you have received from me and others.

ND football is over reported in the media and there is a lot of bullshit that is spread quickly through social media. Historically Gold Helmet has been a place where you can come to validate bullshit you hear other places.

As for Bryant
He has to be pissed that Folson is getting reps over him, he wants on the field and there are many in front of him. I'm sure he is hearing it from friends and family. I would hate to lose Bryant, but at the end of the day I want people on the team that want to be on the team. If Bryant is thinking about leaving than he also must be thinking he can't beat out Folson, or any of the guys in front of him.

Thank you Hoff for the updates

JDriveSthND
10-09-2013, 02:12 PM
I just have to say, I don't think he should leave and I hope he has the character, patience and work ethic not to leave, but all that said Kelly should have played the kid.

Keith Marshall ran for 759 yards and 8 TD as a true freshman at Georgia. I think Bryant could be even better. I think it's ludacris that he's been so absent from the field that he would even consider leaving.

This is another anti-ND recruiting tool that SEC schools can use when they're talking to recruits - "You remember that 5* Greg Bryant, well he went to ND and didn't play a meaningful snap all year! We here at SEC University XYZ will play you from day 1!"

Sometimes, scheme has to give way to talent. Kelly should have just had Tommy hand the kid the ball and let him do his thing.

Of course, if he exercises patience he'll be our featured RB in a year or two, during which time he still be getting one of the best educations in the country. Plus, he'll have to sit for a year after he leaves. I'm hoping he realizes that before he does anything rash.

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm not actually starting anything with you, I'm simply stating an unwritten board rule... I said what I felt about you in the last thread, your not someone I lose sleep over. I will learn to deal with you over time. Just saying quote a source when reporting news. Otherwise you'll end up getting responses just like what you have received from me and others.

ND football is over reported in the media and there is a lot of bullshit that is spread quickly through social media. Historically Gold Helmet has been a place where you can come to validate bullshit you hear other places.

As for Bryant
He has to be pissed that Folson is getting reps over him, he wants on the field and there are many in front of him. I'm sure he is hearing it from friends and family. I would hate to lose Bryant, but at the end of the day I want people on the team that want to be on the team. If Bryant is thinking about leaving than he also must be thinking he can't beat out Folson, or any of the guys in front of him.

Thank you Hoff for the updates

Thanks for your concern. I read what I read...and came here to talk about it and see if anyone else had heard anything.

Bryant can want to get on the field all he wants...he cant do that when it sounds like he may have a season ending knee injury. That as well sounds like it is still up in the air.

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I just have to say, I don't think he should leave and I hope he has the character, patience and work ethic not to leave, but all that said Kelly should have played the kid.

Keith Marshall ran for 759 yards and 8 TD as a true freshman at Georgia. I think Bryant could be even better. I think it's ludacris that he's been so absent from the field that he would even consider leaving.

This is another anti-ND recruiting tool that SEC schools can use when they're talking to recruits - "You remember that 5* Greg Bryant, well he went to ND and didn't play a meaningful snap all year! We here at SEC University XYZ will play you from day 1!"

Sometimes, scheme has to give way to talent. Kelly should have just had Tommy hand the kid the ball and let him do his thing.

I think alot of it is the staff having alot of faith in Atkinson. Atkinson looked like he was poised to breakout. I also probably has alot to do with Cam McDaniel being a surprise.

Its going to be hard to harness all of those backs. Thats why I was never mad when Hood decommitted...that was a transfer waiting to happen.

JDriveSthND
10-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I think alot of it is the staff having alot of faith in Atkinson. Atkinson looked like he was poised to breakout. I also probably has alot to do with Cam McDaniel being a surprise.

Its going to be hard to harness all of those backs. Thats why I was never mad when Hood decommitted...that was a transfer waiting to happen.

Maybe, but their faith in Atkinson was misplaced, and possibly Cam as well. Atkinson can't be an every down back. Cam can't be a home run threat. T Bryant and Folston both can. They should have both played early and often.

That's not to take anything away from Cam. I love his heart and frankly, the way he runs the football. But these two freshmen are physical specimens. They can run around people, over people, and through people. Give 'em the chance, coach.

Now, Folston has played and is going to play more, possibly much more, from the sound of it, so he's not a concern. But Bryant is the biggest name RB ND has signed in years. I know Wood was patient and waited his turn when the less heralded Riddick got on the field first, but generally that won't hold.

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Maybe, but their faith in Atkinson was misplaced, and possibly Cam as well. Atkinson can't be an every down back. Cam can't be a home run threat. T Bryant and Folston both can. They should have both played early and often.

That's not to take anything away from Cam. I love his heart and frankly, the way he runs the football. But these two freshmen are physical specimens. They can run around people, over people, and through people. Give 'em the chance, coach.

Now, Folston has played and is going to play more, possibly much more, from the sound of it, so he's not a concern. But Bryant is the biggest name RB ND has signed in years. I know Wood was patient and waited his turn when the less heralded Riddick got on the field first, but generally that won't hold.

Im 100% with ya.

I sometimes question the depth chart.

I'd like to see less of Chris Brown and more of CJ Prosise and Robinson.

Would also like to see more of the freshman RBs...particularly Folston...less Carlisle.

I'd also like to see Redfield step up with some of these safeties struggling...sounds like hes a little bit aways though.

marv81s
10-09-2013, 03:18 PM
if those guys aren't able to pick up the playbook yet and/or aren't able to process what they are looking at yet, then I rather not see them on the field yet until they can. Kelly has shown that the best players and/or the players that give them the best chance to win are going to play, whether they are a freshman, sophomore, whatever, the best players play. Any coach that wants to win is going to do that. Your not going to do the player any good if you throw them out there without knowing the playbook, or how to pick up a blitzing player, etc. There is nothing wrong with Carlisle, I would say he probably isn't being used in the best way. I think he should move to the slot and be played similar to the way they used Theo last year.

This bye week will be a huge opportunity for Redfield to learn a lot and make a move up the depth chart and start seeing some significant playing time. I hope and pray that he does.

NDgrandson
10-09-2013, 03:29 PM

2 things... First, with Rees back there we need to give him time to throw or he'll get sacked. We need RBs that not only know the plays, but know how to pass protect. HS running backs that are 4 or 5 stars don't have to pass protect. If Golson was at QB pass protection isn't as great a concern because he can make plays when the pocket breaks down. My other point is, after USC we have Air Force, Navy and Pitt. If our defense can do their job, our 3rd stringers should get playing time.

Additionally, It truly is a log jam this year at RB. Amir could be THE guy, but he fumbled. GA3 could be the guy, but he drops the ball. Cam could be the guy, but he's not guy we were hoping would do it. I love Cam and don't mind him being the guy. We have a stable of back right now and we need to learn to control the LOS and run it well.

In terms of PT, I think Corey Robinson has earned the opportunity. Damn I wish Golson was here THIS year. Next year we'll have the backs and the QB and the WRs... but what about defense?

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 04:27 PM
if those guys aren't able to pick up the playbook yet and/or aren't able to process what they are looking at yet, then I rather not see them on the field yet until they can. Kelly has shown that the best players and/or the players that give them the best chance to win are going to play, whether they are a freshman, sophomore, whatever, the best players play. Any coach that wants to win is going to do that. Your not going to do the player any good if you throw them out there without knowing the playbook, or how to pick up a blitzing player, etc. There is nothing wrong with Carlisle, I would say he probably isn't being used in the best way. I think he should move to the slot and be played similar to the way they used Theo last year.

This bye week will be a huge opportunity for Redfield to learn a lot and make a move up the depth chart and start seeing some significant playing time. I hope and pray that he does.

I thought we were going to see more Amir in the slot to begin with. That sounded like that was the plan. First run of the year against Temple was a good one. I'd like to see him in the slot alot more and add a little jet sweep...jet sweep fake to the spread. That play works better with a running threat at QB...but think we can capitalize using Amir's speed as a threat to either get around the edge or draw attention from a LB and maybe free up Niklas on some medium routes.

I know its only High School ball, but one of the most creative offensive schemes I've ever seen came a couple years ago in Round Rock, Texas. Stony Point High School would run a crazy hybrid offense that was an extreme mix of spread/read option in a pistol formation with a jet sweep on every play...kind of like Nevada with Kaepernick but more twists. Not like you would usually see. That year they had the perfect athletes to run it and man were they unstoppable. You were seriously left wondering each and every play where the ball was and what they were going to do.

Always been a fan of the jet sweep addition in an offense.

NotreDameNate
10-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I think Grandson hit the nail on the head. With Rees back there backs have to know the blocking assignments, not just where to run. Blocking know how is a requirement just as much as running and catching the football.

NDAlumSon
10-09-2013, 04:58 PM
I trust every RB is right where he's supposed to be as far as talent and knowhow. Base your yardage expectations on the amount of times any particular RB has gotten to the 2nd level untouched and what he does from there. Cam and GAIII have been given that opportunity, albeit very infrequently, Amir hasn't been given the privilege yet. Tarean has made ONE great cut to get himself to the 2nd level. The O-line's run blocking is much more to blame for a pedestrian running game than the RBs.

Notre Dame's RB situation after week 6.

HoffVir
10-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Bryant’s father puts transfer rumors to rest
Keith Arnold Oct 9, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT

http://nbcirish.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/greg-bryant.jpg?w=272

If Greg Bryant is thinking about leaving Notre Dame after a slow start to his freshman season, it’s certainly news to his father. The true freshman running back, one of Notre Dame’s elite five-star signings of last season, hasn’t seen much of the field this season yet.That’s caused an awful lot of speculation along the interwebs about Bryant’s happiness on campus, especially as a five-man depth chart has been awfully hard to sort out.

But today Irish Illustrated’s Pete Sampson cut to the chase and tracked down Bryant’s father, who all but ended any of the rumors that had Bryant packing his bags and leaving town.

“Rumors, people assuming,” Greg Bryant Sr. exclusively told Irish Illustrated. “Yes, he’s frustrated, but what five-star freshman wouldn’t be? Those are just growing pains. He’ll be just fine. He needs a year to mature in the program.”

Sampson followed up on that quote to confirm with Bryant Sr. that his son wasn’t leaving and the running back’s father responded, “Absolutely.” That should end the weekly message board and Twitter crisis and return everybody’s attention to the season at hand, and allow Bryant to get back to rehabbing a knee that’s slowed him down thus far.

If you’re worried that a Bryant redshirt season could put him behind the backs ahead of him, including classmate Tarean Folston, it doesn’t take too much digging to find guys that have succeeded after a redshirt. DaVaris Daniels sat out his freshman season and immediately moved in front of veterans like John Goodman and Robby Toma. And of course there’s quarterback Everett Golson, who unseated Tommy Rees after a freshman season.

While we may not see Bryant for the rest of the season, it appears there’s still a future for Bryant in South Bend. Thanks to Sampson and the Irish Illustrated crew for putting this (ND) national crisis to rest.

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/bryants-father-puts-transfer-rumors-to-rest/

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Awesome news! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

IrishCrasher
10-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Was just about to post that Hoff.... This is good news. What will be the next bye week crisis? I'm calling for the resodding of the field as our next issue of discussion....

IrishDodger
10-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I thought we were going to see more Amir in the slot to begin with. That sounded like that was the plan. First run of the year against Temple was a good one. I'd like to see him in the slot alot more and add a little jet sweep...jet sweep fake to the spread. That play works better with a running threat at QB...but think we can capitalize using Amir's speed as a threat to either get around the edge or draw attention from a LB and maybe free up Niklas on some medium routes.

I know its only High School ball, but one of the most creative offensive schemes I've ever seen came a couple years ago in Round Rock, Texas. Stony Point High School would run a crazy hybrid offense that was an extreme mix of spread/read option in a pistol formation with a jet sweep on every play...kind of like Nevada with Kaepernick but more twists. Not like you would usually see. That year they had the perfect athletes to run it and man were they unstoppable. You were seriously left wondering each and every play where the ball was and what they were going to do.

Always been a fan of the jet sweep addition in an offense.

Running uptempo is the quickest path to a college coaching gig. Nine years ago, Gus Malzahn & Hugh Freeze were coaching HS football. Last Saturday they led Auburn & Ole Miss, respectively; in an SEC showdown.

NDAlumSon
10-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Btw, as strange as it may seem...Cam McDaniel has the most complete skill set of all RBs on Notre Dame's roster.

P.S. Please send all comments and suggestions to BlakeJ@goldhelmet.com

BlakeJ
10-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Btw, as strange as it may seem...Cam McDaniel has the most complete skill set of all RBs on Notre Dame's roster.

P.S. Please send all comments and suggestions to NorthDakotaAlumSon@goldhelmet.com

I fixed the email for you. You're welcome.

I had the chance to watch him at Coppell High in Texas. He's a great player. I really didn't think he'd be a RB....glad I was wrong.

NDAlumSon
10-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks. I hear they "frack" in North Dakota.

NDAlumSon
10-09-2013, 11:53 PM
I had the chance to watch him at Coppell High in Texas.

So your pom-poms didn't block your view ? :yahoo:

BlakeJ
10-10-2013, 11:21 AM
So your pom-poms didn't block your view ? :yahoo:

:bigstick:

Purebred Irishman
03-29-2014, 06:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3amnIfQ9s&index=5&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
08-10-2014, 03:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au0XDp9kUL4&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
09-18-2014, 05:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-jArHcjPQ&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

IrishDodger
12-11-2014, 12:28 AM
https://twitter.com/the1twowatch/status/542886442410995712

iloveirish_12
12-11-2014, 10:18 AM
I don't get it. Is it suppose to mean something?

IrishDodger
12-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't get it. Is it suppose to mean something?

No one knows. Typical cryptic stuff.

LOVEMYIRISH
12-11-2014, 11:29 AM
sometimes kids are just sitting around in their dorms talking about stuff, or its a hot topic in some circles...they tweet, we are confused.

rontdtarchala
12-12-2014, 06:24 AM
If it was meant to confuse dang good job cause I am...

HoffVir
08-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Irish Illustrated ‏@PeteSampson_ (https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/628661095863947264)
BREAKING: Greg Bryant academically ineligible for his junior season, will not report to training camp with team.
4:17 PM - 4 Aug 201

LOVEMYIRISH
08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
*sigh*

Sad for him. He had a good shot at getting some good time...from the 5th game onwards

NotreDameNate
08-05-2015, 02:12 AM
From what I understand he needed a B+ and got a B- ... I feel like there are 2 major college's that this would happen at. Our's and Stanfords. Any other's would be elated that they were even close and allow them to play.

LOVEMYIRISH
08-05-2015, 04:59 PM
From what I understand he needed a B+ and got a B- ... I feel like there are 2 major college's that this would happen at. Our's and Stanfords. Any other's would be elated that they were even close and allow them to play.

Maybe a B+ to be eligible.

Stanford's incoming standards are well above ours, so I don't see a direct comparison there.

No one on the team needs to carry a B+. He screwed up and is ineligible...likely ineligible by NCAA standards. Our grade standards are not that high.

polishdomer
08-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Rumor is that the B- was in ballroom dancing. You would think he would be great at it since he dances...around the...backfield

HoffVir
08-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Notre Dame QB Malik Zaire welcomes big stage, expectations

Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:25 pm | Updated: 6:30 pm, Wed Aug 5, 2015.
Mike Vorel South Bend Tribune mvorel@ndinsider.com@mikevorel
Posted on Aug 5, 2015
by Mike Vorel (http://www.ndinsider.com/users/profile/Mike%20Vorel)

Editor’s Note: The following is a feature story on Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire's road to the starting job, which appears in the 2015 ND Insider Football Preview. For more info on the magazine or to order, visit ndinsider.com/buythemag (http://ndinsider.com/buythemag).

Malik Zaire has something to say.

It’s a few minutes after 1 p.m., on a Friday in June, and the new face of Notre Dame football leans forward in his booth, looming over an untouched gaggle of hot wings waiting on the table. The 6-foot, 222-pound quarterback’s black hair is cut short and neat, and a faint goatee twists around the mouth that has rarely rested since the day it arrived in South Bend in January of 2013.

Zaire’s persona may be gaudy, but his attire is inconspicuous. The junior from Kettering, Ohio, wears a gold, long-sleeved shirt with the words “Notre Dame” printed in blue across the chest, gray shorts and the often scoffed-at combination of white socks and sandals.

His most defining feature, however, is an attitude, not an article.

“When I walk on the field, I honestly believe I’m the best guy out there,” Zaire says flatly. “There is no better player than me on the field. I know I can get it done. That’s what keeps me focused, knowing that these guys are looking at me to run the show. You have to perform when you’re asked to perform, and that comes down to confidence. If you’re not confident, why are you out there?”

It’s a rhetorical question, but Notre Dame’s starting quarterback still manages a pause.

“I knew that I had to believe in myself when all of this stuff was going on and I wasn’t getting reps. I was getting cussed out and embarrassed and belittled every day by the coaches and looked down upon by the players, because they didn’t know. They just assumed because I didn’t have a good rep, that I wasn’t good. It’s just that constant belief in myself that I knew I was better than people were making me seem that kept me going.

“I know I’m not the best to do it yet,” Zaire says, summarizing his case. “I know I’m not there yet. But I knew I wasn’t a terrible player. I knew I should be here.”

And so, here he is, in the presence of legends. Literally, Zaire sits in a restaurant dubbed “Legends of Notre Dame,” located in the shadows of Notre Dame Stadium, where a timeline of memorable Irish athletes line the walls, silently sizing him up.

And Zaire, for one, isn’t concerned. Not with expectations. Not with pressure. Not with the unlucky defenses standing in his way.

“We’re going to Clemson this year. So?” Zaire says, treating the final word like an exclamation point. “We could play you on the moon, and it wouldn’t matter. Your team is just not better than my team. I have faith in myself, and I have faith in my guys.”

This is perhaps Zaire’s greatest strength, that unshakable self-assurance that inspires followers and breeds success. There is no stage too large for No. 8, no challenge deemed insurmountable. That’s why, when Zaire was asked in spring 2013 if he expected to start ahead of returning conqueror Everett Golson, the underdog didn’t bat an eye.

“I said, ‘Yeah, I’m going to start,’” Zaire says, as if it’s the most obvious thing on Earth. “Why would I ever say someone should start in front of me? Why would I be here?
“What kind of confidence is that? You should always feel that you can do that job.”

Zaire knew how to make a first impression.

In Aug. 2011, prior to the quarterback’s junior season at Archbishop Alter High School in Dayton, Ohio, Lourdes Lambert was named the school’s interim principal. Shortly after starting her new job, Lambert was asked to introduce herself to the football team during their lunch hour between two-a-day practices.

“It’s a room full of sweaty boys,” Lambert recalls with a laugh. “I’m like, ‘This is not going to go well, no matter what I say.’”

And so, she made a short speech, zipping through her résumé, how she landed at Alter and what she would expect from her students in the upcoming school year. And before wrapping things up, Lambert asked if the players had any questions of their own.

Zaire’s hand shot into the air.

“So … you’re not white, are you?”

“That’s how Malik and I met,” Lambert says. “I just had to bust out laughing, because it was the most hilarious thing I had ever heard in my life. I actually told that story at Mass when he graduated early to go to Notre Dame, and that got quite a laugh at Mass, too.”

In the years that followed, Lambert, who is Cuban-American, and Zaire bonded over their common threads — Lambert being the first minority principal in the school’s history, Zaire thriving as its African American quarterback. She watched as he immersed himself in the school, forging relationships with the faculty and student body alike.

“He was one of our student ambassadors. He was a peer minister,” Lambert says. “He’s someone that our president was completely convinced, and still is, that he’s going to be a preacher someday, because he would give the most amazing talks at Mass to the other kids.”

Even after graduating from Alter in Dec. 2012, Zaire never really left. Every time the school holds an auction to raise money, its former quarterback offers his participation in a flag football game to the highest bidder. Last winter, after he led Notre Dame to a 31-28 Music City Bowl victory over LSU, Zaire showed up at an Alter basketball game unannounced, ready and willing to please.

“There were little kids running up to him asking for autographs,” Lambert says. “He was hugging the current students, sitting right next to the student section, hanging out with them. Never once did he flinch when somebody said, ‘Malik, will you take a picture with me? Malik, will you sit here with us?’

“Honestly, I only have daughters, but I consider him like a son. I really do.”

And though Zaire is no longer her student, Lambert still keeps in touch with her surrogate son. They text back and forth before each of his games — Zaire unloading his anxieties, Lambert soothing his doubt.

“I’m nervous,” Zaire texted before the bowl game against LSU.

“I’m nervous for you!” Lambert responded. “But God has given you talent. God has given you gifts. All you have to do now is execute.”

“And I’ll tell you,” Lambert says, “when he cried at the end of that game, I was crying right there with him.”

For Zaire, someone who has given so much to Alter, Lambert returned the favor. When Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly arrived at the school to visit with verbally committed recruit Nick Coleman last year, in the midst of Zaire’s quarterback competition with Golson, Lambert asked for a few minutes of the coach’s time.

“Everybody hid, because they knew what was coming.” Lambert jokes. “I said, ‘I just don’t even know what you’re debating. Malik is awesome!’”

Zaire’s entire life has been a series of competitions.

Growing up, Zaire and his father, Imani Zaire, played countless hours of video games, and Imani never let him win. Zaire and his mother, Stacy Carter, routinely raced bikes up and down their street. In high school, Malik competed just for the sake of competition.

“My best friend at home, Greg, we would have competitions to see who could draw the straightest line,” Zaire says. “If you think about it logically, we’ve been drawing lines all our lives. What would make you better than me? Why can’t I be the best ever?”

Zaire demonstrates, frantically drawing a straight line on the table with an imaginary pen.

“We used to make his mom judge. We would draw a straight line and look at it and argue over it for hours.”

His competitiveness showed up between the lines as well. On the junior varsity basketball team at Alter, Zaire — an undersized shooting guard — rode the bench.

For a while.

“When you get tired of not playing for so long, something has to change — whether it’s staying longer or getting there earlier. Make them want to play you,” says Zaire, who eventually earned a starting spot.

“That was the motto. You’ll either make it happen, or you’ll keep being mad.”

In football, too, nothing was handed to the athletic lefty. He had to compete to win the starting quarterback job in sixth grade, and didn’t start at Alter until he was a junior, eventually leading his team to 18 wins in his final two seasons.

Why should anything change at Notre Dame?

Settings shifted, but Zaire’s expectations never did.

When he entered his first season in South Bend in 2013, the true freshman quarterback was slotted on the depth chart behind more experienced seniors Tommy Rees and Andrew Hendrix.

Zaire expected to play.

“I got my reps here and there. I wish I could have gotten more, but whatever,” Zaire says, occasionally stopping to take a sip of water. “Summer came, and I didn’t know what my position was (on the depth chart). I wasn’t ready, but I thought I’d get a chance to play.”

His freshman season came and went, and Zaire never saw the field. The following spring, Golson — who had led the Irish to the national championship game in 2012 before being academically suspended in 2013 — returned, and Kelly told his quarterbacks that there would be an open competition for the starting job.

Zaire expected to play.

“I thought I would have a chance to start, and it wasn’t like that at all,” Zaire says. “It was like an unwritten thing, ‘He’s going to be the guy.’ You can’t say there’s going to be a quarterback competition and then decide three days into camp that he (Golson) won the position.

“I didn’t have an opportunity then, because I didn’t even run first-team reps. He was running everything with the first team, and then coach Kelly said, ‘All right, he won the starting job.’ That isn’t a competition. He was meant to win from the beginning.”

Each week, Golson took the lion’s share of the meaningful reps as Notre Dame prepared for its next opponent.

But on Saturday, Zaire expected to play.

“Sitting behind someone and feeling like you have something to contribute and not being able to do that was very frustrating at times for him,” his mother says. “He just wanted to get a chance. His thing was always, ‘Let me show you what I can do, because I know I can do it.’”

And yet, after more than two years in the program, results still didn’t match the expectation. Zaire found himself lost in football purgatory, stuck in the lonely chasm between the scout team and a starting job.

“I couldn’t do scout team, because they really didn’t know if I was going to play or not,” Zaire says. “So I was at practice for a whole year just standing there — just standing there, just standing there, just standing there. I’d go in and get like two reps, and then just stand there the whole practice. Some practices I wouldn’t even get reps. I would just get some 1-on-1 reps sometimes.

“So that was challenging for me, because it was like, ‘I know I’m better than what they’re giving me.’ I didn’t come here to be a bum. It was just really frustrating. Every time I get in, the coaches are cussing at me, telling me I’m bad.I’m doing something wrong. Get out.”

For Zaire, out could have meant out — out of the university, out of the circus, and on to a starting job somewhere else. After all, he wouldn’t have been the first Notre Dame quarterback in the Kelly Era to assess the situation and opt for a second home.

Dayne Crist transferred.

Gunner Kiel transferred.

Andrew Hendrix transferred.

Eventually, Golson transferred, too.

Even in the most hopeless moments, though, Zaire never wavered.

Zaire expected to play.

“You have opportunities (to transfer), but it didn’t really matter to me at the end of the day,” Zaire says. “I wanted to beat everybody on the roster. Now, I don’t think of it as 1-versus-everybody.

“You have to be the best player you can be on a daily basis, and everything else controls itself. You can’t control who coaches like better. They’re not perfect. They’re not going to get everything right, so you can’t worry about who they’re choosing. You just have to say, ‘I know my chance is coming. I know he isn’t going to be here forever.’

“I never thought about leaving. It was kind of like, ‘I’m going to make them play me.’ Because if I quit here, I’ll quit at other places. I’m not a quitter. I’ve never been a quitter, and I’m not going to be a quitter. That’s just not me.”

And then, USC happened.

More specifically, Cody Kessler happened. Again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

The Trojans scored the first 35 points at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Nov. 29, 2014, exploiting a wounded Irish defense to the tune of five Kessler touchdown passes in the first half alone. On the other side, Golson — who had been steadily nose-diving ever since the team’s heartbreaking loss to Florida State on Oct. 18 — all but disintegrated, completing just 7 of 18 passes for 75 yards while also throwing an interception, losing a fumble and being sacked three times.

With five minutes and nine seconds remaining in the second quarter and his team trailing 35-0, Zaire finally got the nod.

“The offense was doing nothing. It was terrible,” Zaire says. “And at the worst possible time, they just throw me in. No warm-up. No nothing. They just told me, ‘Get in there.’
“I felt like that was coach Kelly’s way of telling me, ‘Here’s your chance. You can take advantage of it, or we’re looking for the next guy next year.’ I felt like this was my once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. If I don’t make a good impression, there’s no way I’m going to play next year. Ev’s going to stay, and it’s going to be a frustrating year again. I went in and it was like, ‘OK, I need to make something happen.’ Our backs were against the wall.”

In front of a boisterous 79,586 fans, Zaire needed just three plays to reach the end zone. Following a four-yard run by Greg Bryant, he lofted a deep pass down the sideline that Chris Brown leaped to haul in, before cutting up field and finally being dragged down 49 yards later. On the next play, Zaire faked a handoff and took off, tip-toeing along the sideline and diving into the end zone for an 11-yard score.

The sophomore passed for 170 yards and added 18 rushing yards and a touchdown in more than two quarters of mop-up duty, leading the Irish on two touchdown drives as well as another trip that ended in a missed field goal.

In the aftermath of a 49-14 drubbing, Zaire was an outlier — a lone ray of sunshine peeking out of the clouds.

“I was playing and smiling and having a good time like we were winning. Everybody was upset, and I couldn’t have been happier,” he says, flashing the same grin he unleashed on the Coliseum sideline. “I was upset that we lost, but I was happier at the fact that, ‘All right, at least you can give me some respect. At least you can say I’m not a bad player, like you make me out to be every day at practice.’”

A month later, in his first collegiate start, Zaire completed 12 of 15 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown and ran for 96 more yards and another score, taking home MVP honors in Notre Dame’s Music City Bowl victory over defensively gifted LSU. He proved his worth on a national stage, simultaneously nudging Golson a few steps closer to the door.
His greatest triumph, though, came in the wake of crushing defeat.

“As soon as I walked off the field after SC, everything changed from that moment,” Zaire says. “Coaches started giving me respect and not cussing at me, totally different from the same week when they were going to toss me to the scraps. I keep that in mind now, how things have changed with the fans and coaches, and even some of the players that treat me a lot different.

“Nobody really knew who I was. Nobody gave me any love. I always knew that I could do it if I got my chance.”

Zaire wants to say something about Everett Golson.

But actually, it’s not about Golson. It never was.

“I was never looking at Ev and thinking, ‘He threw a nice pass, and now I have to do that,’” Zaire says. “I was thinking bigger picture. I wanted to be the best in the whole country. Even if I were chosen to play over Ev, that wasn’t big enough for me.

“He isn’t the best in the country. I’m talking about best, best. Peyton Manning best. That was who I was looking to. I’m trying to catch up with those guys. The quarterback competition was small fish.”

Zaire has never been, and never will be, a “small fish” kind of guy. As a child, he never dreamed of winning a national championship or a Heisman Trophy. Instead, he saw Super Bowls and Hall of Fame inductions.

Even at Notre Dame, the goal was never to be better than Golson — or Hendrix, or Rees, for that matter.

When someone sits in this booth a few years from now, Zaire wants to stare back at them — another in a long line of legends etched into the walls.

“I really want to be somebody to remember,” Zaire says. “I want to leave a legacy for the school that has given so much to me and done so much for me. I want to have an undefeated team and win a national championship.

“I want to win games. I like winning. I’m a winner. I win games. The only way to leave your mark on anything is to be a winner. Nobody remembers a loser for any good reason. My only objective is to win championships and games for this football team.”

Starting on Sept. 5, against Texas, Zaire and his brothers plan to leave their mark.

“This is the year we win the national championship, 100 percent in my mind,” the rising junior says with conviction. “There’s no excuse. This is the year we’re doing it. Too many guys are on the same page that really believe it.

“I think it’s good to talk about it. A lot of times coaches and players say, ‘Think about the first step.’ I think that’s important, but I also think you should continue to talk about it.
“It’s OK to circulate that around the locker room, that we’re winning the national championship. It’s OK to look down the road. Why stop talking about it? You speak things into existence, and the more we keep telling ourselves that and work towards it and believe it, it’ll all fall into place.”

Good things don’t just happen, though, and Zaire understands that. Success requires dedication, hard work — more than a strong left arm and a heaping helping of confidence. Since Golson departed for Florida State last spring, Zaire hasn’t hesitated to assume command of the offense.

“I believe he’s one of the hardest workers on the team,” says wide receiver Will Fuller. “He’s always pulling someone aside and trying to get better. We have wide receiver-quarterback meetings, and he’s always the first one there. He’s down to help in any way he can.”

To that, Kelly adds: “I don’t know that we really changed anything (with Zaire). I think we just let him be himself. He’s got innate leadership skills.”

Zaire is beginning to understand, too, what becoming the first left-handed starting quarterback in Notre Dame history truly entails. The golden helmet comes with a searing spotlight, with uncommon expectations, with the weight of notoriety and speculation that latches onto you like a tick.

Away from the field as much as on it, Zaire represents not only himself, but a university and a proud tradition.

“His life has changed, because it’s kind of not his own anymore,” Carter says. “Anywhere he goes, it seems like somebody knows who he is and they’re looking for an autograph or picture. He understands the responsibility that he carries, and so his life is different now in that he always has to be aware of what he’s doing, where he is, his behavior and if people are listening. He has matured a lot.”

That maturity is on display on this day in early June, as Zaire maneuvers out of the busy restaurant — his box of hot wings in hand. Before he reaches the door, a fan stops him, asking Zaire to take a photo with his young son.

The boy, whose head tops out around the quarterback’s waist, is wearing an Everett Golson jersey.

Zaire happily obliges, smiling for the photo and then proceeding out the door.

Soon, they’ll be wearing Zaire’s jersey. He’s confident of that.

“From UMass to USC, they are all of the same importance. We can’t lose a game,” Zaire says. “This is the team that we’re winning the national championship with. This is the team to do it. I think people really need to believe it, because we believe it.”

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/notre-dame-qb-malik-zaire-welcomes-big-stage-expectations/article_d8e2976e-3afe-11e5-bf29-c784ec32fcb9.html

IrishGrizz
08-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Rumor is that the B- was in ballroom dancing. You would think he would be great at it since he dances...around the...backfield

Sad but true.

HoffVir
08-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Irish Illustrated ‏@PeteSampson_ (https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_) 11m11 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/629346443912998920)
Greg Bryant has made a final decision to return to Notre Dame for the fall semester as a regular student, his father tells Irish Illustrated
1:40 PM - 6 Aug 2015

Irish Illustrated ‏@PeteSampson_ (https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_) 10m10 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/629347108655661056)
Multiple JUCOs reached out. "When you have the opportunity to come back to Notre Dame, you don’t walk away from that,” said Greg Bryant Sr.
1:43 PM - 6 Aug 2015

HoffVir
08-06-2015, 06:10 PM
The Ball is in Bryant’s Court
Evan Sharpley (http://247sports.com/User/EvanSharpley13) - 10 minutes ago
Greg Bryant (http://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Bryant-8128) has a shot at redemption.

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/593/510/6_3510593.png

The junior running back got himself into a tough situation, but his Notre Dame career isn’t over.

"They have to make good decisions. Sometimes it doesn’t happen,” head coach Brian Kelly (http://247sports.com/Coach/Brian-Kelly-207) said. “That doesn’t make them a bad kid. He (Greg) needs to continue to grow and learn. Hopefully he takes this situation and learns from it."

Bryant made a mistake -- a mistake that could have long-term ramifications in his young life. Now he has to face the consequences. The junior is academically ineligible for the 2015 season and will not report to fall camp on Friday, but the ball is still in his court. What are Bryant’s options? He can make an about-face, and determine to succeed, or he can run away from the problem and continue on this path.

Unlike many universities across the country that would no doubt pull a scholarship in a situation like this, Notre Dame doesn’t blink and that isn't even something the University considered. Classes start in late August. If Bryant steps on campus, awaiting him will be a scholarship, full tuition, books, room and board. Does Bryant take advantage of the opportunity? Or does he risk leaving and attempting to start afresh elsewhere.

Bryant will be able to focus on academics for an entire year without football. The opportunity to right the ship is still there. Finding a proper balance between academics, athletics, spirituality, and social life is a challenge for Division I athletes across the country. It is downright hard to manage, even harder for certain athletes. Oftentimes it takes several years to strike a balance. If one area is out of balance it ends up affecting the rest. While Bryant shouldn’t be cut any slack, it is important to acknowledge the difficulties.

Each day becomes a battle to balance both aspects. For athletes, a typical day during the football season includes a set of morning classes, oftentimes as early as 8 a.m., a short break for lunch, then one or two afternoon classes before reporting to the Gug. Afternoon team, offensive, and positional meetings are then followed by practice. Practice wraps up close to 7 p.m. or later. Players stay after practice to get treatment for injuries then hurried to the dining hall before it closed. This leaves a very limited amount of time to change gears and focus on academics.

The conundrum post-practice, especially when preparing for an upcoming game, becomes a battle between time spent watching film and studying for classes. Finding time for rest and recovery becomes a crucial element as well. Pulling an all-nighter to prepare for a class is detrimental to a week of highly intense physical and mental preparation. What would you do with two tests to prepare for: one on Saturday in front of 80,000 fans, and the other a test or paper in a university required class? Needless to say, the extensive hours training, practicing, and studying takes a toll and affects every aspect of the student athlete’s life.

“I would like to have Greg back,” Kelly added. “If he committed to getting his degree at Notre Dame and committed to utilizing the resources we have here.”

The silver lining for Bryant, if he chooses to return to Notre Dame, which he is expected to on or around Aug. 22, is that one of those areas will be eliminated for a year, which would make it easier to create stability within is life on and off the field. A public embarrassment like the one Bryant is dealing with makes a young person grow up quickly. An uncomfortable situation that has been on the front page of every Notre Dame sports website for all the wrong reasons will, no doubt, change Bryant’s views on his priorities.

The decision to attend Notre Dame goes beyond the football field. More than a career in football is at stake for Bryant. Now that Bryant has time to focus, he has the chance to really dedicate himself and become a redemption story.http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/The-Ball-is-in-Bryants-Court-38600564

IrishDodger
08-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Done in South Bend? Greg Bryant reportedly lands at Florida Juco

Notre Dame’s ineligible running back Greg Bryant looks to still be playing football this fall. And that could mean the end of his time in South Bend.

A tweet from an assistant coach at ASA College in Miami got the internet humming as it appears that Bryant will spend the fall semester in his home state, taking classes at a local college while also playing for the only junior college program in Florida.

Here’s the tweet that set-off a crazy few minutes:

Greg Bryant will be carrying the rock for the SilverStorm in 2015 @ASACollegeMiami for Florida's 1st Juco program. pic.twitter.com/3REV6UgDIq

— Roger Mitchell (@FBcoachMitchell) August 12, 2015

Blue & Gold’s Andrew Ivins was the first to follow that up, reporting that Bryant has enrolled in classes, and also joined team meetings. Yet what that means for his future in South Bend remains to be seen.

Irish Illustrated’s Pete Sampson has been all over the Bryant story, communicating with the running back’s father, who stated very clearly that he wants his son to return to South Bend and finish what he started. Brian Kelly said he was open to that scenario last week, especially if Bryant was willing to buy in as both a student and football player.

The situation isn’t unprecedented. Quarterback Nate Montana left Notre Dame voluntarily, seeking out playing time at Pasadena City College after being buried on the Irish depth chart. He returned in time for spring practice, and played sparingly in Kelly’s first season, serving as a backup to Dayne Crist before Tommy Rees ascended to the starting job after Crist’s season-ending knee injury.

The connectivity between the ASA program and Notre Dame? Sampson points out their head coach is Ernest Jones, a long-time Brian Kelly assistant who spent time at Notre Dame in an off-field role. Jones was briefly on Bob Diaco’s staff before he resigned from position after he created a firestorm with comments about religion being center stage in the Huskies program.

Up for debate is the timing of Bryant’s return—or whether it’s possible. Ivins mentioned that Bryant was hoping to earn an associate’s degree. Another source mentioned that Bryant would need to spend an entire year at the college, meaning no return for spring semester and practice.

Whatever the case, you couldn’t ask for a better on-field situation for Bryant. Enrolling at ASA allows him to play football, especially for a head coach who’ll likely be running an offensive system similar to the one the Irish utilized. But whether that means he—or Kelly—have closed the door on a potential return to Notre Dame is up for debate. Talking to various people around the program, it feels like a 50-50 proposition.

Brian Kelly will likely comment on this when he’s made available to the media tomorrow, continuing to make a major media story out of Notre Dame’s third-string running back.

Stay tuned.

mlcspinner
08-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Mega bust

IrishDodger
11-04-2015, 02:27 PM
By Keith Arnold Nov 4, 2015, 12:41 PM CST
Greg Bryant will continue football career at UAB in 2017

Former Notre Dame running back Greg Bryant will return to D-I football in 2017 at a program that’s also making a major comeback. Spending the 2015 season playing junior college football at ASA in Miami, the former five-star recruit has decided to finish his college career at University of Alabama-Birmingham, where football is coming back after the program shut down last year.

Bryant made the announcement on his Instagram page:

“Never in my life would I be thinking I would go here,” Bryant posted. “But, the next move has to be the best move. I’m officially committed to the University of Alabama Birmingham! Strictly a business decision. ‪Minor set back for a major comeback.”

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly was open to the idea of Bryant returning to South Bend if he wanted to earn his degree. But that return always seemed highly unlikely since Bryant left the university after being declared academically ineligible, even as Bryant had hinted at it via social media a few times this season. Bryant was already suspended four games for an undisclosed rules violation before his summer semester grades came up just short.

Notre Dame’s running back position has been thin this season, especially after losing Bryant this summer and Tarean Folston three carries into the 2015 season. But C.J. Prosise has carried the load for Notre Dame and freshman Josh Adams has done well in a reserve role.

Bryant has two seasons of eligibility remaining, earning a medical redshirt in 2013 as a freshman. His final Notre Dame stats include 57 carries for 303 yards and three touchdowns, good for 5.3 yards per carry.

(Correction: This post has been updated to correct an error. UAB won’t begin football again until 2017.)

LOVEMYIRISH
11-04-2015, 05:53 PM
strictly a business decision

Now that is true emotional commitment.

mlcspinner
11-04-2015, 06:56 PM
that team is going to be so bad he might have to play both sides of the ball

NotreDameNate
11-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Such a weird decision. You'd think he could go to some other more established schools, but oh well. Best of luck to him.

IrishDodger
01-28-2016, 02:57 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2611402-the-secret-home-of-blue-chip-recruits-how-coach-bill-clark-is-resurrecting-uab?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league

LOVEMYIRISH
01-28-2016, 11:24 PM
I hope it works out for him. He's not a bad guy...with any luck he will get his life together and be successful

TJimmy
05-08-2016, 02:52 AM
Keep Greg Bryant in Your Prayers. Terrible.
College football running back 'fighting for his life' after Florida shooting

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/05/08/college-football-running-back-fighting-for-his-life-after-florida-shooting.html

LOVEMYIRISH
05-08-2016, 12:03 PM
crazy...

mlcspinner
05-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Reports are saying he has pasted away

NotreDameNate
05-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Terrible news, I was really hoping he could get it going at UAB and get a chance at the next level. Very sad deal.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15488821/greg-bryant-uab-blazers-declared-brain-dead-day-shooting

polishdomer
05-09-2016, 08:59 AM
I'm shocked and feel terrible for his family. Prayers to them. Sad reminder that life is short and to enjoy each moment you have on this earth.

LOVEMYIRISH
05-09-2016, 07:30 PM
So sad...way way way too young. I was pulling for him even when he left...